Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face He just doesn't understand.......

My dh and I had a long discussion last night with him asking "where are all our scrapbooks?" I started scrapping seven years ago and justified all my purchases by saying "just wait til you see all our trips scrapbooked!!!" Needless to say, with all the new ideas, projects and STUFF, lol, scrapbooking took a backseat. I love stamping and have started making cards - instant gratification - instead of spending hours on layouts but he just doesn't get it! Anyone else switched papercrafts and have to deal with hubby's questions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Just started out making a few Christmas cards five years ago. My DH tells me to leave my checkbook at home everytime I go out. LOL. Haven't changed papercrafts, but no longer do the extensive sewing I used to do. My first DH used to claim he was the only man in the US who spent $500 a year on zippers! Cards are so much fun and make such great gifts. I sent about 20 to my dd for her birthday a week ago and about the same to a friend as a thank you for all the thoughtful hings she has done when I was ill.

Bettye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #3  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

As you can see from my lack of an updated gallery scrapbooking is still my first love.

I am behind but the only thing Poppa has ever asked is that I keep a running scrapbook/books on the house.

Now after 10 years you can only have so many pictures of the same yard,shrubs and gardens....LOL:rolleyes:

Thankfully we have done some upgrading inside and changed things in the yard so I can keep the book going.

Other than that he doesn't ever say anything.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I love both still and do both on a regular basis. I haven't uploaded to SCS in a little bit but everything is in my blog and Flickr gallery. I made at least something everyday almost last year (or more). It was nice. I've never made that many since I started in 8/9 years ago!

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I use to be an avid cross stitcher and obsessed with that craft. Now I still do it occasionally........but stamping in my hobby/craft/obsession now!

so what do I do with all my cross stitch stuff? Well it's put away for
"some day".

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

As long as I'm happy, the bills are paid each month and we put a little aside in savings, he doesn't ask questions. I'm happiest when I'm in my studio and he knows it and doesn't want to jinx it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Perhaps you should schedule these conversations on Sunday afternoon, when the games are on!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I happen to have two crafts - scrapbooking and card-making - and I tend to alternate between the two. I justified picking up card making by saying that the two crafts shared many tools...and even some consumables. DH would occasionally jibe me about my spending (Oh come on! I earn money too!) and I could easily explain how much I saved by making my own cards. Not saying it paid for itself, though, but he knew I got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Recently, though, he's noticed that I've not scrapbooked in a really long time and started teasing me about how my pictures aren't in albums - reminding me that circa 1996 I would say "At least my pictures aren't in a box!" to justify my spending. Many photos are in photo boxes and those that aren't, are stored digitally, awaiting my creative juices to flow again towards scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Canadian prairie girl, lost in all the wind and snow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrussomView Post
Perhaps you should schedule these conversations on Sunday afternoon, when the games are on!!!
Couldn't have said it any better!

My dh never asks questions. He just knows that stamping makes me happy. I didn't start making cards till 2 years after I started scrapbooking. Now my scrapping is on the back burner and I stamp my little heart out. He doesn't say a word.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

My hubby doesn't seem to pay attention to what I'm doing, as long as I'm not bugging him to entertain me. haha. I usually show him the things I make, so he can see my layouts or my cards, and know that I'm actually putting all these tools and supplies to use! He just teases me about never seeing any of the money that I was SUPPOSED to be EARNING by selling Stampin' Up. I've since changed my tune on that, and I just say, "well, at least most things I buy for my hobby are paid for from my Stampin' Up earnings, and aren't coming out of your pocket!".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

You know, I used to have the same conversations when I first started stamping. DH 'got' scrapbooking in a way that he didn't 'get' stamping. He has his own all-consuming hobby, though, and so finally, I just said "You know how much you enjoy XYZ? I don't necessarily get it, but I'm happy that you have something you love. Well, the way you feel about XYZ is the way I feel about stamping, and even if you don't get it -- and I don't expect you to -- I hope you'll support it because it's something I really love."

Since then, he's been great. Another thing I think that's helped is that I don't show him everything I make the way I used to when I first started. I'd be kind of disappointed when he didn't ooh and aah. (Poor guy -- to think about it now, it seems so silly that I expected him to!) That's what SCS is here for, anyway: to be a community of stampers who root each other on. Once I let him off the hook of having to 'comment' on everything I make, he's come around and sees stamping as a passion he's happy for me to have but doesn't need to share. I'm grateful that he's not resentful of the time I spend doing it, which I think might be the underlying problem some spouses have with their partner's hobbies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

My husband said today that he just doesn't "get" stamping. I am thinking that it's the creative process and satisfaction ~ if he doesn't know what that's like, he's not going to understand. He likes my cards, which helps ~ but he also is color deficient so a lot of them probably don't look the same to him. I made him a birthday card with gray, white, orange . . . he thought it was blue and green but he really liked it!

On most of these DH threads, it seems that the best case scenario is when the husband has a hobby too. Mine really doesn't. I'm going to have to work on that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stitchinstampinView Post
I use to be an avid cross stitcher and obsessed with that craft. Now I still do it occasionally........but stamping in my hobby/craft/obsession now!

so what do I do with all my cross stitch stuff? Well it's put away for
"some day".

Lori
This is me as well. I used to say that I had enough cross stitching projects to last me until I was 80 years old. Now I'm more than half way there, and they have been put away forever, I'm afraid. Stamping has taken over my life (and my son's bedroom).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

My DH never says anything about what I buy for my crafts. I have done scrapbooking. Made one for all the kids, sister etc. I prefer making cards. Acutually I haven't been stamping very long. I also have lots of supplies to make quilts, gourds, porcelain dolls and lots of beads. I can't afford another hobby!
Nancy L
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

My dbf knows better than to question it. Mostly because he JUST found out exactly how costly some of this was when he ventured into a Hobby Lobby at Christmas to pick up some Gruffies for me for a gift! ;) BUT he also knows it's not "his business" as I my salary is much higher than his, but I still manage a house payment and everything else by myself (he's not living with me yet because I don't have a ring on my finger! lol!).... So my response is always "I dare him to say something....". :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

Not really, but my mom does. She asks me everyday, so are you going to get out your sewing machine to quilt or make pajamas for the boys? Ahhh, not today I say...then tells me that I got away from it. Well, I do sew on my cards. The only thing that my dh says is "what progress are you showing...are you making any money at it? He wants me to start selling my cards on ebay or consignment stores. Just like when I quilt, which I really need to do. I have to help my sister who has orders. Anyhow, I like doing things for fun. When it starts costing to sell, the fun is out of it, ya know. He also wants me to start doing scrapbooks. I mean I have all the makings to do it. It's just so OVERWHELMING for me...especially digging out all the photos in the boxes and now the digital ones.
Good luck!
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I too find myself making more cards than scrapmbooking. However, my dh better not ask me any questions because he has a motorcycle he has not gotten on in 6 months that he is still paying for. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickifinView Post
My dh and I had a long discussion last night with him asking "where are all our scrapbooks?" I started scrapping seven years ago and justified all my purchases by saying "just wait til you see all our trips scrapbooked!!!" Needless to say, with all the new ideas, projects and STUFF, lol, scrapbooking took a backseat. I love stamping and have started making cards - instant gratification - instead of spending hours on layouts but he just doesn't get it! Anyone else switched papercrafts and have to deal with hubby's questions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

My husband has a Harley. So I would say we are pretty even!

I can buy a stamp for $1 he can not even buy a gallon of gas for a buck. Yes he can save on gas driving the Harley to work so it evens out!

Win - win. Except...I like to go for a ride and he doesnt really care about using my Cuttlebug. HA

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Ahhh lol. My husband is a fisherman and loves to hunt..so, he doesn't say anything actually. He spends money on bate, tackle, bullets, clays, beer, gas, etc.

I think the only thing he's every asked me about is the Cricut Expression because I want one, but I wanted to talk to him about it first because it was a big expense. I still haven't gotten the guts up to spend the money on it, but will be in the next couple of months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

He knows. I tell him. He doesn't seem to care about the money. I try to show restraint, and get a lot from my DT's so that helps. He also knows that this is what I do. I don't even understand it, I just love it.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think my DH understands somewhat even though he doesn't really have a hobby for himself. I have been encouraging him to get one-have one. He doesn't say much about my spending. I don't show him all the cards I make, like I did at first but every now and then I will show him one I think looks pretty good. Sometimes he seems rather impressed. That makes me happy. He knows this craft makes me happy so I think that's why most of our DH don't say much. They are happier when we are happier.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

My DBF is quite encouraging about my hobby but he has MANY of his own, hunting, fishing (water and ice) both expensive when you have a big lake boat, lake boat, quad, shanty, downriggers, bait, poles, GPS or fish trackers, gas, and as another said, beer. Hunting involves bow and arrows, guns, clothes, scent stuff, bullets, deer stands, and all kinds of other little devices.

He plays guitar, can you say pedals, many, many guitars, magazines, amps, recording equipment (he did win a local contest and get to play in the 5 man acoustical jam with Tesla a few years ago. Supposed to be one song, they kept him on stage for a solo and the closing the show with another song), stands, and I don't know what else.

Magic, we're fighting with Penguin right now about his $220.00 order for Christmas.

Ready to fly airplanes, not just the little Airhogs anymore either, bigger ones, and all the stuff that goes with that.

When he gets a hobby, he goes NUTS at first and then he kind of rotates and spends, then goes to the next one. But he keeps busy and he thinks all people need a creative outlet so he's glad we both have hobbies and knows mine is way less expensive than his. He brags me up to others too and that's nice and cool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
DH gets my obsession. I've been cross stitching for 27 years now, and I still have plenty to do and I actually make it a point to stitch a few hours a week.
I started out selling stamps for SU. I like the coloring part, so much faster than stamping, with 3 kids underfoot. Not really into scrapbooking yet. I have plenty of the toys and gadgets, just not the motivation.

DH is so bad, he'll go on and on about all this stuff and not using it. I do set aside a few hours a week for crafting too. Then he'll surprise me with a purchase, like an Expression for Christmas.

Got to love him, he takes me shopping and lets me play.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I lol reading these comments. I too Xstitched - owned a shoppe for YEARS, quilted all the baby quilts for all my friends and my own kids, then to stamping. I still have BOXES of Xstitch supplies, frames, thread galore, etc. Did I make a quilt for my first grandchild???? Not yet though I thought about it and bought the fabric. As for DH having hobbies - hunting, fishing, farm anything, etc. There were never any questions about Xstitching to now as he always spent more than I did on any hobby I ever had! The Harley may be the most expensive upfront, but those rifles/shotguns/loaders & supplies/decoys/boats/clothing/misc garbage sure mounts up as well. I remember I could buy a gross of thread for what he paid for a case of shells. Treading down memory lane...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well my dh doesn't say to much about my stamping habit. Cause he knows it makes me happy.

And I have a lot of friends that Love this habit too!

He spends money on Snowmobiling, Camping, Scuba Diving, Which are all Expensive sports.

I too Snowmobile and Camp, With him.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes