Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-26-2006, 10:42 PM   #1  
Duchess of Dork

Default Have you ever tried to sell ornaments you made?

I know others have made the swirled paint or reinker ornaments. I just clicked on a link that is here on SCS as one of the advertisers to see how much these cost.

http://www.snowflakeornament.com/home.htm

I have bought boxes of these ornaments half-price & put the paint in them to make some really pretty ornaments. I never dreamed these sell for $26.99! Add a little caligraphy & a card & it's over $30.00! THey are gorgeous on her site, but I never dreamed they'd sell for THAT much. I wonder if she does well with the business.

I'm wondering now where I could market MY original ornaments. Maybe even put a stamp on it somewhere. Wow. Who knew reinkers could be so valuable?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-27-2006, 02:26 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I've sold them at craft fairs. I tend to sell the ones with the acetate-stamped insert. NOWHERE NEAR $26.99!!!!!

I've also sold hand-painted ones, with snowmen and poinsettias. Those sold really well. Good luck! And never forget that Wake Forest Police are, indeed, pants.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Old 08-27-2006, 02:31 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

I rarely sell anything I make- although now that I've ventured to TAC maybe I will.

Those ornaments are really cute, but I think you'd have to really build a name for yourself before charging those prices. (I collect dolls and some seamstresses regularly charge $80+ for dresses, while those starting out barely get $20)

Be careful with stamps- make sure you are using ones from a company with an Angel Policy unless you want to try to get a copyright stamp on there too.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I think it would all all depend on the location of where you want to sell your items. I've been to both low and very high end craft fairs and stores where the pricing was all different. Sometimes the same vendors will participate yet their prices are different depending on the location where they set up. This summer I attended an artist craftsman's event in Kennebunk Port and I couldn't believe some of the prices they were asking for the very same product they had earlier in the year at another event at a much lower end market. Same vendors, but because Kennebunk Port is a tourist area I guess they get away with it.

I also think that it depends on if they are participating in a proceeds event. Another craft fair I visited was giving some of their proceeds to a local school, and it was very noticeable that they jacked up the prices.
Visit my Blog http://gbinette.blogspot.com/
Old 08-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #5  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Loiselle
I've sold them at craft fairs. I tend to sell the ones with the acetate-stamped insert. NOWHERE NEAR $26.99!!!!!

I've also sold hand-painted ones, with snowmen and poinsettias. Those sold really well. Good luck! And never forget that Wake Forest Police are, indeed, pants.
Of course they are! What else would police be? That still makes me laugh!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #6  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
I rarely sell anything I make- although now that I've ventured to TAC maybe I will.

Those ornaments are really cute, but I think you'd have to really build a name for yourself before charging those prices. (I collect dolls and some seamstresses regularly charge $80+ for dresses, while those starting out barely get $20)

Be careful with stamps- make sure you are using ones from a company with an Angel Policy unless you want to try to get a copyright stamp on there too.
I'm glad you mentioned the doll clothes, too. I have all kinds of patterns for the 18" dolls to make for my kids & wondered if anyone would buy them. I've cut some out but got pre-occupied & haven't sewn any.

I can see the good seamstresses charging alot if they have a lot of detail on them. I made these gorgeous Barbie dresses once out of lame. I also learned why Barbie goes strapless. GEtting her hands into the dress almost ripped the lame to shreds! And sewing teeny tiny seams was hard! I thought baby clothes were challenging, til I tried Barbie stuff. I'm thinking the American Girl type clothes might be easier after attempting Barbie!

I thought of the Angel Policy, too. I noticed on that lady's site she hand prints the writing--no stamps. I was already mentally thinking, "What stamps have an angel policy?" and also wondering if you can get a stamp on a glass ornament.

thanks for the info!
Old 08-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #7  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper Gail
I think it would all all depend on the location of where you want to sell your items. I've been to both low and very high end craft fairs and stores where the pricing was all different. Sometimes the same vendors will participate yet their prices are different depending on the location where they set up. This summer I attended an artist craftsman's event in Kennebunk Port and I couldn't believe some of the prices they were asking for the very same product they had earlier in the year at another event at a much lower end market. Same vendors, but because Kennebunk Port is a tourist area I guess they get away with it.

I also think that it depends on if they are participating in a proceeds event. Another craft fair I visited was giving some of their proceeds to a local school, and it was very noticeable that they jacked up the prices.
That's interesting how they change the prices.

I do several Open Houses each year with different people for my Pampered Chef business. It's a bit harder to get sales when you don't have "cash & carry" items, so I always just go in with the idea of meeting new customers, but not looking for a lot of sales. I thought, if I can take something with me to sell in addition to my PC business, maybe I'd go home with some money right away! I tend to be full of ideas, but short on time!