Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paper Storage?

I am a new SU Demo and as a treat to myself I am finally creating a "stamping space" of my own! :-D But my question is, How do you store your paper? I really don't want to store it in a filing system and I would really like it to be out on a rack without spending a fortune for one! Any ideas! TIA

Stacy B

My Stampin' Up Web Page[/B][/COLOR]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2006, 04:55 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Stacey,

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the verticle storage for paper!!! They hold up to 200 pieces of paper and come in 12x12, 8x8 and now 6x6. I think that SU also carries the 12x12 and 8.5 x11 sizes. Have fun with your new room.

If you want a rack and have a talented wood working person maybe you could have one made??

PS- what color are you painting the walls- mine are kinda light brown and I have lime green accents.

Tasha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2006, 05:11 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Stacy,
I have a filing system for mine - I know you said you don't want that, but I have to be honest... I love it! I have a rather large filing drawer in my desk, and it holds everything at arm's length. Everything is in seperate hanging folders, all tabbed and seperated by color. It's awesome. I would *not* like it if I had to store it in a filing cabinet away from my desk that would require me getting up every time I need something, but the way it is now is awesome!

Good luck finding something that works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2006, 05:28 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Stacy,
I just moved from the milk crate filing system(which worked great)---to the wire rack that you snaptogether($14 or so at bed,bathand beyond). I added the shelves with zipties. If I could take a picture I would, but I know that others on here have done it, cuz that is where i got the idea LOL. I'm not sure if I love it as much as the old way but I am gonna give it a try. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2006, 06:35 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Tasha- What other places carry vertical storage other than SU? Also, I was just actually deciding what colors to do my room in. Three walls are a tan color and the 4th wall I am unsure what color to do! I would love to see your scrapping room!

Sarah- The filing system seems to be the way to go. Especially with those print off tabs and the fact that I already have a filing cabinet that would cost me nothing! Thanks!

Wendy- I was looking at the wire shelves because they seem to be pretty cheap. You will have to update me if you like it or not!? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Paper Storage

Hi there - I LOVE my paper storage, I was frustrated with the vertical storage system, but couldn't find anything that didn't cost a ton of money... UNTIL I saw it at Sam's Club! They sell these units for paper storage that cost about $15 each, and each one has 12 shelves perfect for 8 1/2 x 11 paper. I bought 2 units and can fit 2 whole packs each of SU cardstock on each shelf, so with 2 units I can fit all 48 colors. I LOVE it - it's actually called a Desktop Organizer or something like that, the ones at my Sam's Club were black. I had to assemble them myself but it only took me about an hour to assemble both units. I've seen very similar units come assembled that cost up to $50 or more, so I really felt like I got a bargain! I may buy one more if they still have them!

Good luck!
Jenn Borjeson

Jenn Borjeson

My ATC challenge blog - Wicked Wednesdays

I design for Just Some Lines, Dilly Beans,Desert Islands Crafts, The Cheerful Stamp Pad, and The Doodle Garden

StampinAngelJenn - Check out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2006, 07:43 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Location: I am a Utah desert rat! I fry in the summer, but, oh, the winters are spectacular!

I love the vertical storage! I store my paper by SU color family. I have cabinets that house the vertical files, so the paper is protected from light and I can get to any color easily just by sight. I have tried wire racks, and I have since sold them all. I can store more paper in less space with vertical storage.

SU sells the vertical files, but anywhere that sells CropperHopper products should have them.

Good luck! Welcome to SU and SCS. You go girl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2006, 08:28 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Stacy

Yes my storage is cropper hopper. I am not fond of "hiding" my paper away-seeing it gives me motivation. I have a lot of 12x12 paper but the desk top unit sounds awesome if your into 8.5x11!!!

Pics of room- still trying to figure this site out and have not uploaded or attempted to put links to pics in my email......yet. I am rather computer illiterate.

Tashal

Last edited by scrapper at heart; 06-07-2006 at 04:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks girls for all of the ideas!

StampinAngel- Do you remember the name of the unit you bought at SamsClub?

Stacy B.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Still not sure which way is best.:???: I currently have all of my 8 1/2 x 11 in a large 4 drawer filing cabinet. I keep looking more and more at the paper storage racks. The colors are all so pretty I hate "hiding" it. Plus sometimes my vellum tends to curl in the file folders. Not good. I have spent the last 1 1/2 hrs doing a slide show of craft rooms and there seems to be a good mix of both systems. I really would love to hear from the truly seasoned stampers, 5+ years, I always believe that there is wisdom earned in years doing something. Please help an amature, I only have about 3 years of stamping, and not sure if I want to change systems or not. Are the racks truly the way to go??:???: My 12 x 12 I have in assorted plastic containers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have my 12 x 12 sorted by color (rainbow) in verticle cropper hopper. I turned them sideways so I don't have to take the entire box out to get a piece of paper and I used dividers for each color and labeled the dividers.

My 8 1/2 by 11 are in these paper holder slot like holders which I found at staples. I have 2 colors in each slot and I put the color labels on the outside of each slot. Here is a photo of it http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 05:38 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the hanging file folder method going. However, mine is in a long "tub" that I can move from place to place. It can comfortably hold 1 pack each of 48 colors as well as a folder of assorted neutrals (I keep the bulk of those in a separate container).

Here it is:
http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...kOID=537436675

It works for me and is really easy to take it to Stamp 'Til You Cramps and have it all right there. It also fits nicely on the floor at my feet while I stamp at home.

HTH!
Sarah
I am loved by the King, and it makes my heart want to sing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Have any of you who store vertically been doing so for very long? Do you have problems with the CS warping at all? (Paper warps so badly if it has any "wiggle room" whatsoever, but I haven't tried hanging any CS yet.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Highsmith Corruboard

My sister is an elementary school principal and she turned me on to corruboard storage -- it is plastic-coated corrugated storage systems. Or you can get just plain cardboard to decorate yourself. They come in all sizes and shapes. http://www.highsmith.com/webapp/wcs/...angId=-1&N=795

The prices are reasonable and they are sturdy!! I use them for lots of things -- sewing, stamping, family records, even screws & nails and such. This item below is only about $18.

if you use the link to the site, there is a dealer locator if you don't want to have the items shipped.

have fun! I find the organization challenge just as much fun as the stamping part! (I know that is goofy but I am a internet developer by day and I really like organizing things -- information or stuff!):rolleyes:

karenm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

It depends what size you plan on using. I don't use too much of the 12 x 12 cs. I use mostly 8 1/2 x 11. I like the vertical storage, but I think that the plastic storage sold by scrapbook companies is overpriced. I bought the cardboard magazine holders at an office supply store and use them to store all of my cs vertically on my counter top. I used to store the cs on shelves but it took up so much space. Since I converted to vertical storage I have a lot more space for other stuff. The cs edges also don't get damaged anymore (a problem I had when I used shelves). I keep my scraps in hanging file folders. Each color is in a page protector I labeled with address labels. This system has worked for me for a few years now.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

I bought a "mail slot" type of storage system at Office max for about $30. It has 24 slots and is comprised of fiberboard and cardboard. I've had it about 2 years and really love it. I keep 3 colors in each slot with plenty of room for extra packages of paper in each color. Storing 3 colors in each slot allows extra room for my neutrals, Ultra smooths, confettis and naturals as well as my discontinued colors that I haven't been able to part with. I store my papers in the plastics they arrive in so I can tuck the large scraps and partial sheets back in with their color. (I detest digging through a scrap bin and am too frugal to toss large scraps). Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 07:26 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Location: The kids are asleep, I'm in my happy stampin' place!

I'm looking at storage options myself. I have a hanging file system - one color per file - that I like but am growing out of. I like it because all my scraps go right in the file with the full sized sheets. What do those of you who store cs on shelves, or in vertical storage like SU! sells, do with your scraps?

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

I have all 48 of the old colors and about half of the new colors in hanging file folders in a large capacity plastic file box which I bought at Wal-Mart for about $17.00. As stated by others, shelving takes up too much room and I like to have each color separate. I have my CS sorted by color family and each color is in it's own manila folder. I've cut swatches of each color the size of the folder tab and attached them to the tabs of the manila folders so I can find what I'm looking for easily. I save all of my scraps by just putting them in the front of the manila folder and whole pieces of CS in the back of the folder. There are three manila folders in each hanging folder. It's been working for me for three years now and I still love it. I can move the paper wherever I need it. I think my next improvement will be to make a dolly the size of the file box to store it under my desk and move it around even easier! I think I've attached a copy of my system...
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Storage?-csstorage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 11:13 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Here is a link to how I store my cardstock. I love this method----there is space for each of the 48 colors as well as neutrals and the gold, silver, copper, cs etc.
Each hanging file has two file folers.
The hanging file is labeled with that one color.
The card stock is stored in ABC order.
The file folder in the front of the hanging file is all the scraps of that color, anything less than a full page.
The file folder in the back of the hanging file is only full pieces of that one particular color.
This system works awesome for me---I use up scraps in many instances and it is easy to pull that folder out to see what I have at a glance.

My DH made the cart on wheels for me using two 'milk crates' and a file cabinet caddy, both of which I got at Office Max. This way my paper is stored under my counter until I just pull it out behind me when its time to stamp. If I want to take my totes with me, I just put the lids on, pick them up and go ;)
HTH~
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
~ Teresa ~ Member #4536
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 05:27 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use the plastic magazine holders for my paper. I just ordered the 8 1/2 x 11 vertical holders from the summer mini to try out. I also saw these at Archiver's. They used to only carry the 12x12 ones. Think at Archiver's the 8 1/2x11 were about $8.95 each. Will let you know how the SU! ones work. Thanks for all these great ideas too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 06:43 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I use the post office priority box mailers (12x16 for larger size papers avail). Cut the sides at an angle, and it's just the same as the verticle cropper hopper units, but didn't cost me a thing! And I can add more as needed. I'm gonna spraypaint them and stamp so they'll look cute, but havent done that yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Wow thanks for all of the ideas girls! I decided to go with filing cabinets. I really wanted my paper out, but I already had the filing cabinets so it seemed to be the cheapest thing to do.

mnhyrkas- I LOVE that idea for storing my 12x12. Obviously I couldn't put it in the filing cabinet. I think I am going to try it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I must agree with sarahbeth. I also use an Iris split lid file box purchased at Office Max for around 15.00. I have hanging files with each color inserted in the tab with name on it. I keep the paper by color family. Easy to see how much you have and what combos you may want to try. It is large enough to also store other papers one collects. It's also portable (though a bit heavy since mine is FULL!) I also put an "R" on the tab of the retired paper.

I had tried the vertical system but I could not easily get to one color and I just got frustrated. I now use the vertical file for a lot of my other supplies and specialty papers. I store plastic drawers on top of it with my stamps in them in a kind of order - floral, kids, wedding, words, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 12:29 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

I 'm a SU demonstrator and heard from another demonstrator about filing vertically as well. Like you, I had the same fears of sliding or slumping (I was an admin. for MANY years, so felt my fears were well-founded. That was my arguing point, but I was assured at the time that it would NOT slide or slump. I have now stored my CS vertically for over a year now, with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. I am thrilled! I bought the black metal file cards on wheels that have wire shelves underneath. I divide my CS ALPHABETICALLY (and on the tabs, I put what color family it is and what the re-order # is). Each file holds one pack, and I use additional hanging files for additional packs of the same colors. I use the underneath shelves to store my alphabet stamps, etc. I LOVE IT! This way, I can roll my files UNDER my work tables and not worry about any fading from fluorescent or natural lights.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 12:41 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Glad you decided to go with the Filing cabinet. I do nearly the same as Teresa. Even with a closeup pic I still got a little confused on exactly how she does it. Not her fault....I'm soooooo easily confused lol Anyhow. My "stampin desk" is a door laid across two 2-drawer file cabinets so I have one on each side. I have a hanging file folder for each color - in ABC order cuz I can barely remember my abc's no way can i remember which color is in which family. In the front of each hanging file, I have a manilla folder with the scraps for that color. I've seen posts where people also put the catty order number on each tab for that color CS so when they see they're out of a certain one, the order # is right there, but I haven't gotten that far. All my neutrals are in the front. This saves so much in the way of scraps....cuz I look there first to see if I have a piece big enough.... and it also keeps my paper away from sunlight so it doesn't fade, and keeps dust off of it. Not sure what i'll do with 12x12 when I start getting some of it. For now the few things I have from designer papers and SSK's are kept in an accordian 12x12 paper tote thingy that I got at walmart for around 4.00 I've done it this way for several months, and so far I've had no trouble with paper warping, and my folders are not just packed in there....there is a good amount of wiggle room. Now I just need a way to be able to remember my abc's when I'm stampin at 3 am lol any suggestions on this?? hehehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 01:12 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by love2Bcreative
Here is a link to how I store my cardstock. I love this method----there is space for each of the 48 colors as well as neutrals and the gold, silver, copper, cs etc.
Each hanging file has two file folers.
The hanging file is labeled with that one color.
The card stock is stored in ABC order.
The file folder in the front of the hanging file is all the scraps of that color, anything less than a full page.
The file folder in the back of the hanging file is only full pieces of that one particular color.
This system works awesome for me---I use up scraps in many instances and it is easy to pull that folder out to see what I have at a glance.

My DH made the cart on wheels for me using two 'milk crates' and a file cabinet caddy, both of which I got at Office Max. This way my paper is stored under my counter until I just pull it out behind me when its time to stamp. If I want to take my totes with me, I just put the lids on, pick them up and go ;)
HTH~
Whooo chicky....you've got some awesome paper organizing going on here!!! I think that is the way to go!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Wow thanks so much for all of your ideas! I really like the idea of storing the scrap paper near the whole paper so it is easy to find! Thanks!

Stacy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #28  
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know someone else mentioned milk crates, and I have to say that I love my milk crate storage. I only but 12x12 paper, and I have 1 milk crate full of paper stored vertically. Most of the paper has been there for over a year ( I went back to school for my RN and just finished, so I have to play again) and none of it has warped. I got the crate for $1 on clearance at Target and it has served me well. I also keep my scraps in one of those take and go 12x12 paper carriers with a zipper and handles, that way I can look for scraps before I take a new sheet. This hobby is expensive enough without spending a fortune on storage! I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes