Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   has Michaels changed their coupon distribution?? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/has-michaels-changed-their-coupon-distribution-181904/)

cincistamper 09-09-2006 03:20 PM

has Michaels changed their coupon distribution??

I just wondered if any other cities are noticing a difference in how Michaels coupons are distributed, or not distributed?? Two weeks ago, I got no coupon in my Sunday paper--I thought it was a newspaper problem or a newspaper carrier problem and complained to them. However, last Sunday I got no Michaels coupon again. In talking with friends in many different areas of Cincinnati--I find that many people did not receive a coupon in their Sunday paper last weekend.

I asked about it at the register and the cashiers just blew it off as "out of their control" and "up to the newspaper." I nicely asked to talk to the manager and he acted thankful for my input and asked me to fill out a form, stating my address and whether of not I'm a regular newspaper subscriber, etc. Then, when I was ready to check out, the cashier had me sign a log sheet and they gave me my 50% off.

But, as the week has gone on and I've talked to more people, I find it is a more widespread problem and I wondered if other cities are noticing this. Could it be related to the sale of Michaels?? I "think" I heard that they had been sold . . .

WendyBendy 09-09-2006 04:07 PM

I haven't asked anyone, but I've noticed the coupons MIA for quite a while now. Wonder what's the problem???

melissa73 09-09-2006 04:14 PM

Lately I've only been getting them every other week. Also, sometimes instead of the color ad, they print a small black and white ad in a regular section of the paper.

Melissa

mesuezee 09-09-2006 04:15 PM

I have gotten my Michaels coupons the last 3 weeks in my Sunday paper. No problems here yet!

karla56 09-09-2006 04:19 PM

The last time I used a competitor's coupon in my Michaels, I had to sign a log in sheet and they made a note of whose coupon I was using. I think the new ownership is making some changes and taking a survey.

jwjazz 09-09-2006 04:43 PM

I get a Michaels coupon every other week here, HL puts their coupon out the same weeks that Michaels has their ads. Last week there was a 50% off and a 40% off.

twyant 09-09-2006 04:59 PM

I get one every other week too. It always seems to be the same weeks Joann's has theirs. I wish we got one every week!!!

frankie 09-09-2006 05:33 PM

About 2 weeks ago I got a Michael's add (with coupon) in the MAIL . . . ???? That was a first. It came with all the grocery adds on a Tuesday. It's all good though 'cause I almost never bother going over there -- we have Robert's here in Utah and that can get you into BIG trouble!! They have 40% coupons up at the service desk everyday -- remember way back when Michael's used to do that?

Marthar 09-09-2006 05:40 PM

I'm outside of Dallas and get them every other week. My son worked there until recently (gone to college, sniff, sniff!)and he had told me coupons every other week until around Oct. 15, then weekly. We'll see if it's true.

craftybee 09-09-2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwjazz
I get a Michaels coupon every other week here, HL puts their coupon out the same weeks that Michaels has their ads. Last week there was a 50% off and a 40% off.

Same in Nebraska.

MazG 09-09-2006 05:50 PM

We get them every 2 weeks but there are 2, one for each week.

stampin' andrea 09-09-2006 05:53 PM

Coupons every other week here too.

Cynamom 09-09-2006 05:56 PM

Interesting. My mom has had the same problem here in the Chicago suburbs. She and I subscribe to the same local paper but since we are in different sections of town, we get SLIGHTLY different editions. I got the M's coupon and she said she DID NOT, the last two weeks. She did say she got it in the Chicago Tribune, though. There's definitely something weird going on. But the good thing is that M's does accept Hobby Lobby coupons! And I hear you can even get those online!

Good luck...

Cindy

row4d 09-09-2006 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynamom
But the good thing is that M's does accept Hobby Lobby coupons! And I hear you can even get those online!

Ya know what drives me absolutely bonkers? Some Michael's stores accept competitors' coupons, while others do not. In Savannah they take coupons from Jo-Ann, but in SE Virginia they don't. Then you have some stores where the cashier will scan a coupon at the register if you forgot yours, but at another one across town it's "too bad, so sad" and you're stuck paying full price for your item. These folks are so stinkin' inconsistent with their policies and it's maddening! :rolleyes:

allidee 09-09-2006 06:39 PM

I've had a coupon every week, and last week there was the special labor day 50% off cpn that was good for two days, in addition to the 40% that was good Tuesday through today.

trouverletemps 09-09-2006 06:44 PM

we had the same thing this past week...I made sure I got in for just the two day coupon, then had all week to use the other coupon. for the most part, we get them every other week. I did not know Michael's was being sold...anyone know more about that!?

DBug 09-09-2006 06:59 PM

This has been bugging me for a while now. I live in small town in VA and they stopped putting the ad in our paper months ago. I complained to the paper and they said they have no control over it, they put it in when they are told to by Michaels. I complained to Michaels and they said you can ask for the discount once a week and you have to put your name and zip code on a form to get it. Then for a while they made us fill out a huge full page form just to ge the discount, said they were doing a survey to figure out why we weren't getting them. Then they went back to just your name and zip on the form. Today I was in there and the woman at the next register needed a coupon and they went through this big deal voiding her most expensive item and then rescanning it and taking off the 40% and then made her fill out the form, meanwhile the woman in front of me asked for the discount and the girl took the ad she had next to her register, scanned the coupon and just like that she was done. Go figure, they don't even follow the same procedure from one register to the next, let alone one store to the next. Oh, and our store won't take coupons from other stores because the nearest competition is 55 miles away. They also said that ads come out every other week most of the time, but around holidays they occasionally run them every week. I signed up to get their ads online, that way I know when they have one so I know when to ask for my discount. Sorry for the long rant, but it's something that's been bugging me for a while! I just wish AC Moore was closer then I'd never have to go to Michaels!

Makes me feel a little bit better now to know it's not just our area they are leaving out!

trouverletemps 09-09-2006 07:13 PM

I did not know you could sign up online to get the coupons! Have to check that out...

Mahloumel 09-09-2006 07:19 PM

You don't get Michaels coupons online yet that I have heard of. You can just get an email notification that their current flyer is online. I generally don't get that notification email until the wee hours of the first day it is valid.

At our Mikes for several months now they offer the coupon discount if you sign a sheet at the till with your postal code, and iirc you can get that discount a max of once a day for the time the coupon is valid. Since they started tracking the postal code like that, we have eventually started getting flyers delivered to our apartment building. I hadn't even noticed because the flyer force folks dump the flyers into the recycling trough below our mailboxes, and I don't usually look in mail waste. :)

trouverletemps 09-09-2006 07:25 PM

Thanks for the info ! I know that the weeks I NEED a michael's coupon urgently is usually the week that they don't have one in the sunday paper...then when I don't need one, I always seem to have one!

Theresa Romani 09-09-2006 07:28 PM

I haven't gotten one in my paper for months! And no, we don't have any kind of form we can fill out at the register either. All I got for my troubles was "We put out a stack of flyers in the store on Sundays and they are all gone in hours." Well, no duh! I'm sure some people grab a handful at a time, and I get none.

row4d 09-09-2006 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBug
I just wish AC Moore was closer then I'd never have to go to Michaels!

When AC Moore opened a Savannah store I quit going to Michael's! WAY bigger with much better selection, they carried the newer stuff like opaque StazOn pads, and the staff was much friendlier and more knowledgeable.

trouverletemps 09-09-2006 07:34 PM

Wish there was an AC Moore here! Although I guess we are lucky to have Joann's, Michael's and Hobby Lobby - but inevitably, I end up at a specialty stamp store to find the stuff I REALLY need...

Michelle Laycock 09-09-2006 07:42 PM

Ladies,
I work for a newspaper and this is how it works.
Michael's contacts the newspaper and they can decide which editions they want their ads to run in. They pay the newspaper to put the ads in. The more editions they put the ad in, the more they are charged.
They base their decisions on when/where to put their coupons in the paper on how many people come in to the store from a certain zip code when they use the coupons. In order for them to know where you are from when you bring in a coupon, they ask you your zip code number (or they were... or they are supposed to...) That way they know customers from your zip code are shopping there. They are more likely (but may choose not to) to pay to place their coupon in a newspaper edition that is delivered to certain areas of a city (i.e. different editions). This is why some people in one area of a city get a coupon and some in another area of the same city don't.
I haven't looked for a coupon in my company's paper lately, so I don't know if we still are inserting them in our paper. I should take a look to see if the stacks of inserts are in the press room and see if they have a Michael's section ready to be stuffed into tomorrows paper.
Perhaps Michael's is cutting some expense by reducing the number of papers they insert coupons into. Interesting...
:-D

JennstampsCO 09-09-2006 08:22 PM

I haven't gotten one for a few weeks now, but my friend who lives very close to me has gotten one every week! I am hoping it's just a fluke...

Jennifer

reedross 09-09-2006 09:17 PM

I'm in SC and I haven't seen a Michael's coupon in about 3 weeks!

- April c

cincistamper 09-10-2006 02:25 AM

thanks to everyone!!

Thanks to everyone for your replies . . . my family thanks you, too, because they are pretty tired of hearing me talk about this!! Michelle, I hear what you are saying and knew that it was more than a "fluke," that's why I was so frustrated when the cashiers blew me off. I figured it was a Michaels business decision.

I start my Sunday morning by going to michaels.com and seeing if there "is" supposed to be a coupon. It is kinda funny (oxymoron) since the link on the home page says "weekly ad," but there really is no weekly ad. Once you click there, it has you put in your zipcode and it tells you if there is an ad.

It seemed to me (as some of you said) that once we got to the Fall (prime crafting season) we would get a weekly coupon. Guess it's too early for that . . .

I would encourage all of you who aren't getting ads, who are getting poor customer service in the store, etc, to send off an email to customer service at michaels.com. There is a link for that, too. I did that last week (called them, too) and haven't had any reply BUT I choose to think that they are listening!!

Toni

kiraj 09-10-2006 08:51 AM

I asked the people at Michael's about their coupon schedule. Usually they only have their ads every other week except around holidays.

wright1 09-10-2006 09:04 AM

I also get mine in the mail with my grocery ads. Good for me, not good for my
hb.;) I have no idea why they send it in the mail in my neighborhood. Makes my friends mad. Some of the time, I will go to my neighbors and ask them for theirs also. They never go to Michaels. Makes for a happy day when I have 2 coupons and have to drag my hb to the store with me so he can use one.:twisted: