Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mailing Cards with eyelets, ribbons, etc??

I read on here some time ago about a trick to covering up bulky items on the cards so there wouldn't be a problem mailing. Does anyone know what it was? Thanks, Carol
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Run a quarter-sheet of cheap cardstock through the crimper and slip it in the envie in front of the card.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Also put the card in the envelope with the embellishments on the side that you seal. I just did wedding invites with ribbon, pop dots and rhinestones, had lots that went from AZ to Texas and Indiana with no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luci in AZView Post
Also put the card in the envelope with the embellishments on the side that you seal. I just did wedding invites with ribbon, pop dots and rhinestones, had lots that went from AZ to Texas and Indiana with no problems.
I was always taught to insert cards that way, even before I started stamping, because that way when the recipient opens the envelope the card is facing the "right" way when pulling it out.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
I was always taught to insert cards that way, even before I started stamping, because that way when the recipient opens the envelope the card is facing the "right" way when pulling it out.
This is what I do too. I have never had any of my cards not go thru.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 01:39 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Be sure to take these precautions. A friend sent me a really cute card for Halloween, but the postal machine sheared it--card and envie cut in half about 2/3 of the way across!

Remember that cards that are too thick now have a 20-cent surcharge. Not all post offices are on board about this. There's a template (I believe your local post office can give you one) that you can use to pass your envelope through to see if it meets the new thickness standards. However, some people have had envelopes that fit, yet their post offices charged the extra fee. Others say they aren't charged no matter how thick their envies are!

BTW, the card & envie from my friend had a "20 cents due" stamp on it, but I think our local post office was too wise to try to collect it since the card was in such bad shape!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

One post office here in town is real picky about "bumpy" cards and they always charge me extra. Another post office in the next town where I work says "bumpy" cards are Ok and they don't charge me extra. I can't figure that out.

Sometimes I will turn my card inside out to protect my embellishments. To be safe I have them hand stamped. I also put the "bumpy" side to the sealed side of the envelope.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 05:00 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

I also use the crimper idea and face my cards towards the closer side. I also add a small piece of scotch tape on the outside of the envelope just over the bumpy embellishment. (I think it makes that part of the envy a little stronger)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 05:27 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I just use 62 cents stamps. 42 cent stamped items go through the automated cancelling machine which is only designed for flat, skinny items. If it's stamped with 42 cents, it automatically goes through there. 62 cent get hand-cancelled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 06:31 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Someone once suggested to me to cut up the kind of packing material that is a thin spongy white film sheet. I'm in the dark as to what it is called, but perhaps office supplies stores sell it in rolls. I've been saving it from any packages I get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
Someone once suggested to me to cut up the kind of packing material that is a thin spongy white film sheet. I'm in the dark as to what it is called, but perhaps office supplies stores sell it in rolls. I've been saving it from any packages I get.

I've used that thin white foam too. But mostly I use crimped cardstock. I've never had a problem. I only add extra postage if the card is heavy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can also use "bubble wrap" just "pop" the bubbles first,
and put over embellishments, but I still usually have to pay
extra postage; so am going to more faux flat embellishments
to send

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnsyrView Post
There's a template (I believe your local post office can give you one) that you can use to pass your envelope through to see if it meets the new thickness standards.
Most of us already have one of these measuring tools -- the blade slot in the Fiskars paper trimmer! ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Most of us already have one of these measuring tools -- the blade slot in the Fiskars paper trimmer! ;)

I don't have that kind of paper trimmer, and when I asked about getting a tool at the PO recently, the lady seemed to have no idea what I was talking about. sigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's easy to make your own template if you don't have the Fiskar's cutter. Just take a thin piece of cardboard (a little heavier than cardstock would be good), mark a slot exactly 1/4" high, and about 6" long. Cut it out with a craft knife. Voila! The critical measurement is the 1/4"--that is the measurement that determines if the envelope is too thick. If your card inside the envelope passes through the slot easily, you are good to go. If you have to give it a nudge because it sort of touches on the sides--add 20 cents more postage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueheronView Post
It's easy to make your own template if you don't have the Fiskar's cutter. Just take a thin piece of cardboard (a little heavier than cardstock would be good), mark a slot exactly 1/4" high, and about 6" long. Cut it out with a craft knife. Voila! The critical measurement is the 1/4"--that is the measurement that determines if the envelope is too thick. If your card inside the envelope passes through the slot easily, you are good to go. If you have to give it a nudge because it sort of touches on the sides--add 20 cents more postage.
I had tried to make my own, but I went about it all wrong. I tried taping together cardboard to made a 1/4" slot, but it wouldn't stay together. Cutting a slot from a solid piece of cardboard seems like a much better idea. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Default Mailing cards with eyelets

Ok ladies, I appreciate everyone that has responded to my question. I already knew about the fiskars trick and my card does go through that easily. I just don't know if because it has something hard on it like one of the big eyelets if it is considered "Rigid". When you go online usps and calculate the postage it always asks if it is rigid and if you click yes the price always goes up. Everytime I bring my cards to the PO they says something different. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Every card I bring to the PO seems to have a different charge attached to it. I brought in a 4x4 card today, in a standard sized envelope and was charged $1.14. Last week I mailed some larger cards and was charged .92, some were .62 . . . there seems to be no rhyme or reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

My husband works for the Post Office, he says that all this is bunk! Extra postage is revenue and that is how the PO is funded. The PO is COMPLETELY funded by revenue. DO NOT take your cards inside, just put them in the drop box outside. I have never had a card come back or not be received. I DO limit myself to one embellishment on mailed card,though. I do check for weight and thickness, too. I mail 80 cards for Christmas and 24 for every other holiday. The only time I had any problem was when I went inside to have them check weight and thickness, they said extra postage was needed. I took them outside dropped them in the drop box and badda bing badda bom, no problem!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Queen bee, the problem is that in my area, my post office is quite vigilant. I have had postage due on a number of cards friends have sent to me . . . usually its 32 cents. I had a card I mailed to my DD come back to me a week later, with hte stamp canceled and a stamp on it saying insufficient postage, so I couldn't even use the stamp over again, had to rip it out of the envelope and put it in a new one . . . I am glad that for some folks it works to drop them in the drop box, I really am! It is just that it does not work for me . . . I am creating a nice gift for my postal lady for Christmas, hand stamping her some notecards . . . maybe our postal 'feuding' will lessen . . .
Reply With Quote Likes