Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Hanukkah card question from a lil Catholic girl? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/hanukkah-card-question-lil-catholic-girl-514264/)

squirrellyshirley 12-07-2010 08:03 AM

Hanukkah card question from a lil Catholic girl?

So I bought the single SU minorah (sp) stamp last year b/c someone requested Jewish cards......is there anything I need to know about Hanukkah cards, etiquette, colors, is there something I should avoid putting on the card?? I searched the gallery and they all seem to be blue and white. I just would hate to offend anyone!!

Thanks in advance

KathiR 12-07-2010 08:54 AM

There are no rules. Purples and blues with silver, gold, or white are the most common color schemes, but Chanukah candles and wrapping papers have all colors...

Yapha 12-07-2010 08:55 AM

First, thank you for caring enough to ask the question!

I would avoid putting anything traditionally associated with Christmas on the card, even if you think they are just "the season." No snowmen, no wreaths, no holly -- you get what I mean.

Colors -- blue and white, blue and silver, blue and gold, blue and yellow, blue and grey -- or any combination there of are great. If you want to go a little edgy, you could use purple instead of blue. Or silver and white/gold and white for more elegant.

I have a bunch of Hanukkah cards in my gallery here, even more on my blog:
Hanukkah � Rubber Stamping & Card Making with Yapha

I'm happy to answer any other questions that you have.

pjw2855 12-07-2010 11:23 AM

Ok........I'll pose the question.....In this thread in the 3 Posts so far have spelled the name of the Holiday you're talking about 2 different ways. I would think you should establish the correct spelling or if either is correct so as not to offend anyone you may be sending a card to. Are both ways correct or is it a matter of opinion which is correct?

Please my comment is not to offend anyone nor to start an argument, just feel it should be clarified as to proper spelling.

Patti

BillieDee 12-07-2010 11:28 AM

Hannukkah, Hanukkah, Hannukah, Chanukah .... they're all correct. There are even more iterations if you see the pattern.

We don't get offended by misspelling the holiday. Personally I prefer Hanukkah.

I also use pinks (the breast cancer awarenesss challenge) and purples on my cards.

Yapha 12-07-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855 (Post 17665482)
Ok........I'll pose the question.....In this thread in the 3 Posts so far have spelled the name of the Holiday you're talking about 2 different ways. I would think you should establish the correct spelling or if either is correct so as not to offend anyone you may be sending a card to. Are both ways correct or is it a matter of opinion which is correct?

Please my comment is not to offend anyone nor to start an argument, just feel it should be clarified as to proper spelling.

Patti

Truly, the only correct way to spell it is in Hebrew. :D There is no standardized way in English, so all of these variations are fine:

Hanuka
Hanukah
Hanukka
Hanukkah
Chanuka
Chanukah
Chanukka
Chanukkah

The first letter is a /kh/ sound, like when you clear your throat.

And for your fun fact of the day, in Spanish it is spelled Januca

Feliz Januca!

BillieDee 12-07-2010 11:47 AM

Yapha answered that much more thoroughly than I could. Thanks!

oh - Happy Hanukkah!

arlenevita 12-07-2010 12:02 PM

I've gone to online greeting card sites (i.e. Free Online Greeting Cards, Ecards, Animated Cards, Postcards, Funny Cards From 123Greetings.com), as well as googled the holiday, for ideas and wording, made a sample, and then asked my Jewish friend if I was on the right track since I, too, had no clue but wanted to make cards to send via From Our Hearts for the troops to send home.

squirrellyshirley 12-07-2010 12:26 PM

Excellent......thank you so much for the information. I will check out your galleries. Great information!! Happy Hannukkha to you and your families!!

NancyK. 12-08-2010 05:12 AM

Thanks so much for this post and the info provided! I am always in a quandry about what to send my jewish friends and this is very helpful!!

pjw2855 12-08-2010 06:31 AM

I send my Jewish friend a Merry Christmas Card (handmade) and she sends me a Happy Hanukah (store bought) card. This way we are both respectful of each other's holiday and don't make a mistake in something inappropriate.

The only cards I dislike getting are ones that don't spell out the holiday and only abbreviate it.

Patti