Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   The Guilt!! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/guilt-455329/)

kimbo32 08-23-2009 06:18 PM

The Guilt!!

Ummm, does anyone ever feel just a tad bit guilty for having tons of crafting stuff? And, not using it all the time..just when you can make time...sometimes,just gotta have it because it's cute takes over? or it's on sale and you can't pass it up? I just wonder if there's others like me?:mrgreen:

Tracy-Stamper 08-23-2009 06:21 PM

I do, I wish I didn't but sometimes so much stuff really does seem unreasonable. Oh well, LOL :)

snowcountry311 08-23-2009 06:25 PM

not at all.
i tell my dh all the time.
how many saws do you-table,radial arm,chop,etc
how many ext cords
how many fishing poles-you know fresh water,salt,drift boat,etc
nope not at all
just enjoy!

danamy 08-23-2009 06:29 PM

Absolutely! I too feel horrible, I have a TON of SU AND non SU stuff from my days prior to becomming a demo. I too buy the stuff on sale then can't bring myself to use it. That's my problem =)

KayInFL 08-23-2009 06:29 PM

I know exactly what you mean - you definitely not alone! My DH has a couple of expensive hobbies so he never says a word, so it's just me making me feel bad. Doesn't always stop me though...... planning my next order as we speak.

buggainok 08-23-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311 (Post 14958671)
not at all.
i tell my dh all the time.
how many saws do you-table,radial arm,chop,etc
how many ext cords
how many fishing poles-you know fresh water,salt,drift boat,etc
nope not at all
just enjoy!

And don't forget, the 9-iron, the 5-iron, the 3-wood, the driver, the putter, the chipper, the golf bags, the golf balls, and more golf balls, and several bags to keep it all in!

Oh, and Golf Magazine, Golf Digest, Golf World.........

I could go on, but I won't.:)

I have a dear, dear hubby and we both understand each others hobbies very well.:mrgreen:

PS the last time I looked there was no "sell by" or "use by" date on any of my crafting supplies. If I live long enough I plan to use it all.

Snellybelle 08-23-2009 06:36 PM

Nope, no guilt at all. I am completely at peace! I deserve to have the supplies for my hobby as long as I don't financially mess up our life.. and I don't.

lesliespringer 08-23-2009 06:38 PM

Anybody having a problem using thier stash-just let me know and I will be right over to help you out!

Tenakee 08-23-2009 07:07 PM

When my DH stops buying motorcycles, I will stop buying craft stuff. :mrgreen:

Actually, I have to brag a bit and say that I get the best of both worlds: my toys and his! He was generous enough to want me to share his joy of motorcycles and kept encouraging (but not pushing) me, so I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, loved it, and am now a rider all on my own! I ride two of the bikes in our garage, but the other two are a bit big for me.

And of course I return his generosity and tell him that any time he'd like to play in my craft room, he's more than welcome! He hasn't taken me up on it yet really, but he often plays "creative director" for me, helping me pick colors, styles, techniques, etc. for a given card.

Bottom line: as long as you're not short-changing other responsibilities by buying your toys (no matter how large or small), you have no reason to feel guilty. Enjoy the fruits of your hard work with a great big smile instead. Like this one - :mrgreen:

scrappingmelissa 08-23-2009 07:09 PM

i am blessed that my husband understands my addiction. He is so sweet and supportive. Now I am addicted to sewing. He has no idea what is coming. LOL

okstamper 08-23-2009 07:16 PM

All the time....but lately, just been watching my spending.

StampinDeb 08-23-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmelissa (Post 14959085)
i am blessed that my husband understands my addiction. He is so sweet and supportive. Now I am addicted to sewing. He has no idea what is coming. LOL

I hear ya! I am a stamper, scrapbooker and I also sew and do machine embroidery - not only have I filled my craft room, my embroidery is currently taking over the dining room - I figure we won't need that room until Thanksgiving anyway LOL.

With it all ---- no guilt or spaces for that matter :)

AmyR 08-23-2009 07:38 PM

Nope not for a second.

I make sure that the bills are paid, that food is on the table and that my kids and hubby (and myself) don't go without and are taken care of. Those are my main priorities.

Everything that I have accumulated over the years for my stamping have been for ME - but with that I have made a ton of gifts for other people as well as some great things for my family.

And even if I didn't make things for others and just used my supplies for fun I still wouldn't feel guilty. Everyone needs a hobby of some sort - and most if not all hobbies cost money.

That and the fact that stamping is cheaper than meds ;)

Just sayin' :mrgreen:

puppydoggrins 08-23-2009 07:53 PM

Yep... Feel guilty all the time. But keep on doing it anyway. Self-control is a wonderful thing for those who have it. ;)

*Kathleen* 08-23-2009 07:56 PM

No guilt and it's not an addiction. It's more of a creativity and charity...lol
Give me a lemon and I'll make lemonade. Give me paper and ink, I'll create a masterpiece and if not just a card to brighten someone's day. Well, at least it's better than collecting Star Wars and beanie babies...:D

shellpole 08-23-2009 08:20 PM

Here here.....I am totally with you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snellybelle (Post 14958781)
Nope, no guilt at all. I am completely at peace! I deserve to have the supplies for my hobby as long as I don't financially mess up our life.. and I don't.

shellpole 08-23-2009 08:21 PM

Good idea Leslie...I put up my hand too!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringer (Post 14958800)
Anybody having a problem using thier stash-just let me know and I will be right over to help you out!

MsDanielle 08-23-2009 09:09 PM

*Raising my hand shamefully* LOL I'm guilty!

babydal57 08-23-2009 09:46 PM

Not a moment of guilt. Bills are paid, food in the cabinets, more clothes in the closets than are good for us, savings, retirement, college funds, etc. all funded.

I enjoy it; it makes me happy. And it doesn't rot teeth, make you fat, pollute the environment or increase my risk of death.

I'm good. :D

Mrs.Q 08-23-2009 09:53 PM

Every once in a while I will look at all of my supplies and think, "why do I need all of this?" But then more often I think, "why not?" We've never been behind on bills and spoil our children as much as they deserve (such good kids!) so why can't I indulge too? Some people buy mountains of shoes/tools/designer clothes/etc. I buy crafting supplies. It's stress release, our friends and family always appreciate what I make them, and the supplies have lasted longer than a pair of shoes! :)

isewquilts2 08-24-2009 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmelissa (Post 14959085)

LOL!!!! So true...

Just ask me....the two (Yes TWO) Bernina sewing machines (one old, one new), cupboards full of fabric, gizmos and gadgets, patterns and books....it makes stamping look positively a bargain!

pjw2855 08-24-2009 04:50 AM

I have no guilt feeling at all. I enjoy the process of creating greeting cards and other items I create with my paper crafting. The people I've met through my crafting I truely enjoy talking to, comparing and exchanging ideas with.

My crafting doesn't hurt anyone nor is it physically or mentally harmful to me. I don't go out partying or vacations nor am I fashion model. I live modestly.

I share what I create with my friends and some family that are interested. They all seem to enjoy and appreciate what I give them.

so I have no guilt and see no reason to.

Patti

RAWS 08-24-2009 05:46 AM

No. I have had a job since I was 16 (now 60 and still working). I raised 2 wonderful girls and taken care of sick parents. I now have the time indulge myself. Not only is it a creative outlet, but it is also a big part of my social network. I have a number of people I craft with who love it as much as I do who come play with my toys. While I have lots of unused stuff, I know that someone will come along and need just that "thing" even if it is grandkids just messing around.

abange58 08-24-2009 06:44 AM

Definitely. Mostly I feel guilty for continuing to buy new stuff (especially paper) while not using what I already own. I am working on it and trying to get better, though.

kimbo32 08-24-2009 07:07 AM

ok!! I feel better now...and Yes, my sweet husband doesn't give a rip about what I spend or want..he supports it and encourages it!! I just felt a little guilty..but, thanks to you all, I'm much better and in better perspective!! WE do have food and our bills are paid..bring on the stamps, paper, glitter and tools!! YaY!!

craftthedayaway 08-24-2009 07:09 AM

quilty who me??

i have a yes.... no.... love/hate to this question lol yes i sometimes feel guilty when i buy products and don't end up using them... trying to get better at it but i usually think to myself i deserve something i enjoy doing (instead of all the household stuff), and this happens to be it! as for spending too much i spend what i can reasonably afford for my hobby and that's all i spend. Now a days any craft/hobby is going to cost you... i just try to find some frugal ways to get the looks i want for less. but i do sometimes think when i enter my room do i really need all this stuff... Oh well i enjoy it and that's my reasoning! lol

jpmayo 08-24-2009 07:11 AM

What is this word "guilt" you speak of....?

Nope never heard of it ;)

fordgrl 08-24-2009 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Kathleen* (Post 14959371)
Well, at least it's better than collecting Star Wars and beanie babies...:D

You just HAD to bring that one up, didn't ya?? :rolleyes: I'll have you know I looked long and hard for some of those! lol!

Pumpkin's Mom 08-24-2009 07:48 AM

I don't feel guilty so much for buying it, I feel guilty for not using it. I wonder if maybe I just love the images and seeing what others create and will never use it myself. I just have not been able to take the time for myself to use everything the way I want to. I spend way more time here than I do using the things, if only I could sit at work and stamp. :mrgreen:

stamp_momma 08-24-2009 08:19 AM

Let's leave Beanie Babies out of this... :mrgreen:

sprtchick 08-24-2009 08:25 AM

I feel no guilt at all because of all the places I supply with cards:
My church bookstore (dontated)
My church card ministry/Birthday and Anniversary cards (all dontated)
My church youth group 1000 cards twice a year (dontated for them to fundraise)
The troops I send them thousands of cards a year
Two Swim teams I supply with 1250 cards each and some totes to sell. I make big bucks off of this one.
So I use all my stuff for the benefit of others. The money I make in the fall when the two swim teams get their cards really helps financially with cards for the troops and my Christmas gifts for my family.

Nope..no guilt here...lol
blessings.

gargyrle55 08-24-2009 08:32 AM

I do feel guilty sometimes but then I remind myself that if I can't use all my stuff I have it just in case someone needs something for a project at 1 o'clock in the morning and the craft store is closed. All they have to do is call me!!! LOL!!!

beccabatgirl 08-24-2009 08:34 AM

No guilt here either.

ncs 08-24-2009 08:38 AM

I recently got the "overwhelmed with supplies" feeling and decided to purge BIG TIME at my mom's garage sale. Made a whopping $620 dollars and still have plenty of stuff left. I had things priced to move them outta here (25-50 cent grab bags, stamps at $3-9 per set, etc.)! Shoppers got great bargains and I got cash! Win Win! Now, I can buy more stuff! *snicker* Stamping and scrapbooking are my hobbies, period. I don't like to shop, I don't party and the bills are always paid. It is a stress-release time for ME when I am crafting, so the guilty feeling passes pretty quickly. Lately, I have created layouts/cards using "things in my stash" and wow what a feeling that is for me. At the last crop I attended at Archivers, I spent a mere $2.42. LOL! I think I did REAL good that time in watching my pennies. :) I guess with today's economy I am more aware of not buying duplicates or things that just tickle my fancy for a moment. I want to know when I buy something that I am really going to use it. Ok, that's my 2 cents. Loved reading everyone's responses.

kimbo32 08-24-2009 12:55 PM

Wow Natalie...what a haul in your Mom's garage sale!! Awesome! now think of all the stuff you can buy!!;) that really is awesome!

kphorse 08-24-2009 01:11 PM

Everyday since May 27th...When I walk into my craft room...I just look around at everything and have no desire to do anything with it...

I lost my *Best Friend*, my soul mate, the sister I never had and the person that helped to teach me to stamp...

Someday soon, I hope to make that room come alive again, use the tools and goodies to create something she would be proud of...

Yes, I feel very guilty...

Shopping Diva 08-24-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse (Post 14963921)
Everyday since May 27th...When I walk into my craft room...I just look around at everything and have no desire to do anything with it...

I lost my *Best Friend*, my soul mate, the sister I never had and the person that helped to teach me to stamp...

Someday soon, I hope to make that room come alive again, use the tools and goodies to create something she would be proud of...

I'm sorry for your loss. When your ready to go back and make cards, etc., you'll know it.

kphorse 08-24-2009 01:26 PM

Sue was a memeber here on SCS and was the one that brought me into the madness I now love...

Thank you for the kind words...And the hope!

ncs 08-24-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse (Post 14963921)

Karen, my heart aches at the news of your loss. I hope that someday soon you can find a little spark inside that makes you want to create again. Please know that a prayer has been said for your broken heart.

MeganE 08-24-2009 01:56 PM

I always feel guilty when I look at my stash, I have my main stamping spot in the front room, one of the closets in my daughter's room filled with stamps and other supplies, two plastic carts in our room filled with stuff and our walk-in closet used to be a walk-in before I stored a ton of stuff in there.
I know this hobby is expensive but it's cheeper than therapy and med when I go nuts for not haveing something to do to releave stress and relax (at least thats what I tell hubby, he thinks I like to shop lol)