Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Goodbye Background stamps? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/goodbye-background-stamps-273966/)

Joan B 07-31-2007 09:50 PM

Goodbye Background stamps?

I just spent 4 hours (don't ask) browsing blogs. I made a mental checklist and I would say that approximately 95% of the items posted used patterned paper, another 2 - 3% had no background and 2 - 3% used background stamps.

What happened?? I just used a background tonight -- SU's Linen, that I used to use all the time. I sort of forgot about them and that's a shame.

Are my observations valid in your experience? Are they still strong sellers?

If so, do you think this a temporary trend or permanent shift in use??

Jeanne S 07-31-2007 09:56 PM

Personally I go in spurts with background stamps. I'll go a week using them all the time and then not at all for another week. Lately I've been to creating backgrounds using other stamps. Who knows what I'll do next week.....lol

ebethneu 07-31-2007 10:21 PM

There are a few background stamps that I love like "tres chic" and the new french background......but unless the background stamp is from the set Im working with I dont usually gravitate toward them.

Your right, there are so many beautiful papers out now and I really like using them more than a background stamp.

It's a trend I've noticed too.

staramaze 08-01-2007 12:10 AM

Interesting... I haven't used mine in months! I think for me it's a trend toward increased white space... or negative/unused space in my layouts... but I am still not unloading my background stamp collection! They will be back!

SDiegoGal 08-01-2007 12:28 AM

I made a card just today which I thought I should've used a background, but didn't. They are still in a box from when we moved two weeks ago. But, I think I will be using them again once I finally unpack that box!

stampkinz 08-01-2007 01:12 AM

I don't like to use a lot of patterned paper so I make backgrounds with my bg stamps or wheels. I haven't been using the stamps that much now that you mention it. It seems that patterned paper is "the" thing right now.

Tah Dah! 08-01-2007 03:20 AM

I think another issue is that so many people are on design teams now - and of course those companies don't allow you to use stamps from other companies. But printed papers are fine, so many of the "rock stars" are now using those...

Joan B 08-01-2007 04:49 AM

You know, I forgot how much the design team thing affects what we see. Hmm. Good point.

I also think I posted this same message about 2 months ago!! Sorry, middle of the night lunacy.

JanTInk 08-01-2007 04:52 AM

I still love my backgrounds! I like patterned paper, but to me, it always looks kind of flat...a stamped background has much more oomph! Especially Sanded...I am loving that one!

Skittl1321 08-01-2007 04:58 AM

I think they are one their way out. TAC actually retired all of it's full size backgrounds! I was shocked because no new ones were released! (Still lots of background builders though)

I think that when people started embossing backgrounds with the cuttlebug is when we saw the decline. After they got used to that more and more people started using patterned paper.

I personally rarely ever used patterned paper on a card, but I also don't use many background stamps.

deb_loves_stamping 08-01-2007 05:00 AM

I know what you mean, but I love my background stamps and still use them on almost every card I make. I think I will always use my background stamps ... at least I hope so! I dont use designer paper all that much, I dont seem to be creative enough to use it!

resqbarbie 08-01-2007 05:02 AM

i feel like using a BG stamp is hard...making the image stamp well is always an issue for me. But I do like to see when people use a BG stamp ON patterned paper! cool!

Babsnelson 08-01-2007 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tah Dah! (Post 6704945)
I think another issue is that so many people are on design teams now - and of course those companies don't allow you to use stamps from other companies. But printed papers are fine, so many of the "rock stars" are now using those...

Good point....and lots of companies are putting out stamps that can be used as backgrounds (thinking Papertrey Faux Ribbon, MFT elementals, etc.). I still love (and use) my b/g stamps - but I have to admit, they haven't been getting as much ink as they used to!

mommj 08-01-2007 05:12 AM

I have all kinds of patterned papers, but I don't use them much because they don't seem to "go" right with the stamps I have! Like I have some gorgeous fall papers, but my leaf stamps are not the same leaves....

I guess if I bought SU papers and the stamp sets that GO with them, but I haven't done that.

1stclassnana 08-01-2007 05:17 AM

Funny you should post this...I was just thinking the other day how I haven't been using my BG stamps as much as I had been. It wasn't even a conscious thing...strange.

kphorse 08-01-2007 05:19 AM

Love BG stamps and love to see them on prints too!

Will never give up the use of my BG's, but I can't give up PP either!

Mom0fgirls 08-01-2007 05:24 AM

I always seem to be zigging whan the trends are zagging... sigh...

I've been really interested in aquiring more background stamps and trying some techniques to make my own "patterned paper" lately. I'm going to a stamp convention Saturday and background stamps are one of the things I want to look at.

The point about design team members needing to use the papers is well taken. At least its true for me.

Well, maybe if I'm behind the trends long enough - I'll accidently end up ahead of them when they cycle around again!

katiesrn 08-01-2007 06:00 AM

I was using background paper ALL the time, but yesterday I needed to make a quick card. I took out my Crosshatch BG stamp from SU and used it. I really missed that bugger. I am going to try to use my BG stamps more often!

The Gardener 08-01-2007 06:10 AM

I like cards which use background stamps and have been planning to buy some.

buttons2 08-01-2007 06:21 AM

I'm finding that I use my CB for a lot of cards that might ordinarily use the BG but I still use them.

Wanda

chrisations.ink 08-01-2007 06:28 AM

I like texture without adding a lot of color. I use and plan to use my BG stamps forever!

stamping_jen 08-01-2007 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by resqbarbie (Post 6705646)
i feel like using a BG stamp is hard...making the image stamp well is always an issue for me. But I do like to see when people use a BG stamp ON patterned paper! cool!

Really? ON patterned paper? Now that does sound cool!!! I would love to seem several examples of that. If you have done this, will you give us a link because I would really like to see that.

kfamilystamper 08-01-2007 06:32 AM

I love my BG stamps! I am with MomOfgirls though...I also seem to be zigging when everyone else is zagging ;) as far as stamp trends go...but that's okay with me! I will continue to use my BG stamps, they just add that extra little zip that a card needs sometimes. Long live BG stamps! :cool:

RockyMountainStamper 08-01-2007 06:42 AM

I just used 3 BG stamps on a card I made for the Dirty Dare challenges a few days ago! Love 'em and won't ever give up my faves, but I'm definitely using more patterned paper now than ever before. Absolutely LUV Basic Grey's line and others out there. They've added a fun new dimension that we haven't had for a while (the old patterned paper that I still have kicking around is so 'cheesy' looking to me now!!!).

I do like to buy some of the 'new, trendy' things, but at the end of the day when I design a card, I use what I want and think will look best on that particular card, whether it's "trendy" or not. I love this art form!

And BTW, a HUGE wave and hi to ya, my long lost friend Joan!!! I'm pming you!

Mahloumel 08-01-2007 06:49 AM

I use texture plates (from Fiskars or Sizzix) semi-regularly in the place of background stamps. For me embossing CS with a plate is easier than using a BG stamp, and I am very happy with the effect.

PaisleyPrincess 08-01-2007 06:57 AM

I love my backgrounds and use them all the time. I will die of SU discontinues theirs.

I was disappointed when TAC discontinued all of theirs but I think they are trending more to scrapbooking. I don't remember seeing any in the CTMH catty either.

uffdastamper 08-01-2007 07:12 AM

I enjoy using my BG stamps..... But sometimes I just grab the BG paper because it is easier/faster for me.... I'm not much for cleaning and/or inking up the giant BG stamps (lazy stamper here)! I have found that it is just much easier for me to just cut up some BG paper and adhere it. But I still like BG stamps, I'm just a BG paper kinda gal..... I like how you can tie all the colors used in a card through matching BG papers...

I do however find that when I'm stamping it is kinda like those V-8 commercials... I think duh, I could have used a BG stamp. Love the new sanded BG stamp.... I'm just confused I guess... :rolleyes: Jeepers I am so wishy washy today! ;)

wiggynine 08-01-2007 07:17 AM

I love my background stamps. I love my patterned paper, and my cuttlebug embossing folders. So I use them all, sometimes all on the same card! Sometimes the pattern paper is too much, so I might use some paper, and then use the BG stamp on the cardstock.

I just bought a beauty of a background stamp made by Impression Obsession and I've been using that frequently now.

Linda K.

Babsnelson 08-01-2007 07:23 AM

I love a B/G stamped and then dry embossed. That's a super cool look too!

Mona Lisa 08-01-2007 07:34 AM

There was a great thread on this subject a few weeks back:

Background Stamps -- Less Popular??? <----click here.

look-inkgood 08-01-2007 07:50 AM

I love my BG's AND DP equally! I have found lately, though, that I am not so much stamping a full background with my BG stamps, but stamping them, then cutting shapes out of them for accents and stuff like that.

Clownmom 08-01-2007 08:11 AM

I just made a bunch of Halloween cards. I used Cheesecloth on several of them. It reminds me of spider webs. I still like my background stamps but I'm not sure I will buy any more of them -- at least for a while. None of the ones in the new SU catalog -- with the exception of Sanded -- really appealed to me.

glenda s 08-01-2007 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamping_jen (Post 6706668)
Really? ON patterned paper? Now that does sound cool!!! I would love to seem several examples of that. If you have done this, will you give us a link because I would really like to see that.

Here's a link to stamping a background stamp on patterned paper --
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...00&ppuser=5213

Glenda

buggainok 08-01-2007 08:48 AM

The few times I have tried to use a background stamp at a stamp camp, I had a lot of trouble getting it to stamp clearly and evenly.

I don't own any background stamps and really prefer using the Cuttlebug or patterned paper myself.

JanTInk 08-01-2007 09:45 AM

The absolute best way to stamp backgrounds (IMO) is this:

Lay your stamp rubber side up and ink'er up! Rub the pad over the stamp or pat it all over...make sure you get good coverage!

Lay your cardstock face down on top of the stamp.

If you're doing this on grid paper, flip the grid paper over the top of the stamp and paper; if you aren't, put a piece of scrap paper over the top.

Now, holding the cardstock under the paper in place firmly, rub gently all over the paper to transfer the image on the rubber onto the cardstock. By using the paper, you keep your fingers clean.

Then just peel off the paper and cardstock; you'll get a great image everytime if you inked up properly!

Stampingwithkids 08-01-2007 10:14 AM

I actually don't use backgrounds too much for my cards or scrapbooking but I do use them all the time for any items I am working on altering. They are great with tiled coasters! I do think that there are more options then there used to be for backgrounds though and that the stamps will always be around but just not as many.

ked 08-01-2007 11:12 AM

I find myself rarely using them, and mostly using PP. For me, I fear it may be a permenant trend with all of the gorgeous PP there is out there! They come out with new stuff all the time, so I don't think I'll ever get tired of it! (And I have TONS of bkgd stamps!)

Joan B 08-01-2007 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa (Post 6707501)
There was a great thread on this subject a few weeks back:

Background Stamps -- Less Popular??? <----click here.

Duh, I started that one too! What a dufus I am. :mrgreen:

stamps&cars 08-01-2007 11:20 AM

I love patterned paper but BG stamps do have their place. I use mine a lot more since I got a press. I get complete images all the time now and have wasted a lot less paper.

steubner 08-01-2007 11:22 AM

My fave is to use a background stamp on patterned paper. I use Linen on almost everything, but that's cause I don't have Sanded yet!!