Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default SU in French

I am just curious...I have noticed that SU does a lot of sets in a French option.
Is there is a reason for that? Some in Spanish but a lot in French.

I am not complaining-I like foreign language options. Just curious if there is some old company history I dont know?

And while we are on the subject....do you use foreign language stamps?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2020, 04:39 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

This is just my opinion and what I know from being an SU demo since 2004. After being in the US, SU expanded into Canada, but at first I don't think that included Quebec. THEN Quebec was included. So our US catalog shows sets that are also available in French.

About 10 years ago (or so), SU thought there was an untapped market for stamps in Spanish and marketing to Hispanic customers. At Convention one year, they gave us a Spanish catalog (it was much smaller than the annual catalog) that had a few stamp sets unique to Spanish and the others had sentiments translated into Spanish. We had that small catalog for only 1-2 years, so I don't think we sold much from there.

Stampin' Up is now truly International, and we have demos in France and other European countries.

Hope this helps!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being Canadian, I have a limited number of French sets, mostly thank you and Christmas sets. It's helpful given that I would in a bilingual workplace. I know that the French cards are always appreciated by my bilingual coworkers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2020, 12:50 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

When blogs were huge I followed so many French SU demo's. Instagram I tend to peek at the French & German demo's more than Stateside.

Most of my SU collection of stamps is in French. I will only buy text stamps from SU in French.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Thanks! That makes total sense

Most of my SU collection of stamps is in French. I will only buy text stamps from SU in French.

Can I ask why DeeAnn?

I have been trying to build a bit of foreign section since I live in such a diverse city.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a Christmas set in French because there was an image in it I wanted, and I have a friend that is French-Canadian. So I can make her Christmas cards with a French greeting, I have plenty of stamps that say Merry Christmas, I didn't need another, and she loves getting a card in French (which is her first language).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2020, 10:39 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Maybe they are not in the North American catalogue? It makes sense that the French ones are because of the Francophones Canadians, but Germany has been a big market for as long as I remember (it's also their European base), and they produce quite a few sets with German sentiments. And they have added Dutch more recently, too in the European catalogue.

However, it's not always a direct match. If memory serves, the F in Vintage Vogue has "friends" in English but I think says "famille" in French, which reduces it's usefulness, and I think one of the other sentiments in the set translates to English as "one for all, all for one" , not a match for with of the English sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 01:59 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Thanks! That makes total sense

Can I ask why DeeAnn?

I have been trying to build a bit of foreign section since I live in such a diverse city.
Honestly, I use French because my style leans towards elegant and the sentiments in French add that special elegant touch.

When I make cards I make card fronts and not full cards. I also like to use the cards in my journals. Most of my journal LO's are elegant.

Reply With Quote Likes