Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Default Getting new Catty SU stamps weeks ago?

How do they do that? I got several magazines in the last 2 weeks featuring cards made by readers using stamp sets that have not been in any catalog previous to the new one we just got. For example, on p. 50 of Paper Crafts, someone sent in a project using World Tour set. Another person used the new Paisley and the Aida cloth in a magazine I got on July 1. How is it that some people seem to be able to get sets unavailable even to demos? I also notice that sometimes these are even sold on e-bay before the catalogs come out. The person in one of the magazines using these stamps says she is not even a demo. How do they get to be one of the SU insiders and have early access?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

That particular card is supplied BY Stampin' Up. The creator is an in-house designer for them. Quite often magazines are a good source for "sneak peek" looks at new sets, because Stampin Up can't control when the ad prints, sometimes they come out sooner than the general public can actually buy the stamps.

As for the ones on ebay, Stampin' Up allows demos to pre-purchase a handful of sets prior to catalog release. It lets them have time to prepare samples. As with lots of folks, there are some who'd rather grab a quick buck on ebay rather than use it for its intended purpose.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm sure most stamp companies want their products out there in print when they become available but they can't control the timetables of the magazines. I think magazines are laid out way in advance of the printing date (3 to 6 months ahead I think but not sure).... so the stamp companies have designers that submit their work to magazines... free advertising.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If youve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Old 07-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Efforts to promote and market their new coming stamps have to be put into action 6 months to sometimes even one YEAR prior to the press of the magazines/issues.

As Betsy said, SU! has an in-house design team, that, naturally, makes samples for the catalogs and ALL of SU!'s print media, as well as for marketing efforts that involve submissions for publication in national magazines. If you'll note the designer credit, it usually notes the designer's name, followed by "courtesy of SU!"

HTH,