Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glue Sticks

I haven't had much luck with glue sticks, but I am doing a class making mini albums (please see my other post titled "Classes to mentor teenage moms") and need to keep the cost of supplies down. What gluesticks do you find work the best? I have found that when the glue dries the pictures start to peel off. Any other suggestions on a cheap adhesive that isn't too messy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use glue sticks a lot. They're repositionable, almost dry adhesive that is extremely helpful to me, and when left to set for an hour or so the adhesive is permanent. The only ones I found that didn't work well were the ones I bought from Oriental Trading company. The ones I use most are these: Avery Glue: Browse Avery Permanent Glue, Avery Glue Sticks & More at OfficeMax
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have NEVER had good luck with ANY glue sticks. My cards and projects always fell apart. I now use Tombow Mono-Multi for most of my own projects, but with a group of people who aren't used to using it sparingly, it is expensive. I have found Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue to be pretty good (comes in a bottle, gray and purple). If you can find a couple of small squeeze bottles to put some in, a little goes a long way. I should add that I don't know if this glue is archival. I only do cards, not scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Here is a good summary of different adhesives and how to best use them. It's from an altered books site, but the information is great for anyone working with paper. It also tells you which are acid free:
Using Glues and Adhesives in Altered Books - Great for Large Objects, Barcode Labels for Scanning and Other Types of Paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I read on a thread somewhere here on SCS that the double-sided tape (not the tape runner - just the regular tape like Scotch brand) from the dollar store worked really well...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I like Ranger's glue stick. it is inexpensive and works fine. I use it for paper to paper.. Mostly when doing my tags or adding paper to a card. I use a lot of Score Tape of various sizes more often as it is very strong and never gives me a problem for layers etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #7  
Vintage Vixen

I use Elmer's glue sticks all the time. I've also used the Staples brand. The secret is to apply the glue liberally to both items (the item you are gluing down as well as whatever you're gluing it to), and then to run over it with a rubber brayer several times to make sure you have 100% contact and contact all the way out to the edges.

I glued some patterned papers to chipboard coasters 3-4 years ago, and that paper hasn't moved a hair.

Unfortunately, I don't think a glue stick works as well on coated paper, which would include photo paper. I typically use 2-sided tape to adhere photos.

If you have time before your workshop, perhaps do some practice pages using a glue stick and the method I described above. Let the pages sit a couple of weeks, and see if they're still adhering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I think photo mounts or photo corners would be a better option than glue sticks. If you buy them at Michael's or Hobby Lobby (or similar) with a 40% off coupon, they should be very cheap. There are a ton of them in a box and you only need a few per picture.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I will put a vote in for Avery glue sticks too. I love the UHU glue sticks. UHU is a bit more pricier. I have pretty good luck with glue sticks. I live in a very humid climate, though. I always use an old soda lid to burnish down my paper after gluing. Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=missiowa81;19669722]I use Elmer's glue sticks all the time. I've also used the Staples brand. The secret is to apply the glue liberally to both items (the item you are gluing down as well as whatever you're gluing it to), and then to run over it with a rubber brayer several times to make sure you have 100% contact and contact all the way out to the edges.

I glued some patterned papers to chipboard coasters 3-4 years ago, and that paper hasn't moved a hair.

Yes, you do have to use a lot of glue with glue sticks, and you have to press the items together. I don't use a brayer, but I do put the glued materials under an unabridged dictionary for 15 minutes to an hour. I make such a mess with other glues that I use glue sticks whenever I can. But they're not as good for adhering things heavier than heavy weight paper. Although I'm remembering now I have used them successfully with chipboard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Why not make your own glue dots??? Easy and VERY inexpensive. I have a post on my blog on how to!!!!

3 Monkeys throwing around some....PAPER!!!: Make your own Glue Dots for a LOT less!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2012, 03:10 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I use the avery gluesticks. I get an 18/pack for 10.00 at staples.
Reply With Quote Likes