Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-27-2022, 10:10 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Fun Question- What would you do differently.

If you had a chance to start over again what would you do differently in your stamping journey?

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I have noticed we have lots of new members finding our older threads. Big welcome to the new members. I thought we could give them our years of experience in an updated thread.

Things I would do differently?

Don’t follow hype. I have learned inspiration and hype are two different things. Hype you go all in. A lot of times you buy all the hype and learn you hate that technique or style. You have investment in that stuff and you feel obligated to it. Hype you also learn one style which is usually the person who is hyping it. Inspiration you learn your style.

More stamps, less ink. I know that is controversial, lol. I wish I didn’t purchase so many inks that weren’t my thing. I could have had more stamps. I stamp because I love stamps.

Stop organizing, doing databases of craft supplies. I spend more time taking care of my room, than creating. It burned me out. If stamping becomes a job for me, I need to quit what is making it turn into a job.

This one is personal for me. Buy more used stamps. I have nothing against buying new. I still do buy new. For me I am most inspired finding used treasures to stamp with from stamps to dies and everything in between. My best creations come from those things.

This is the biggest one for me and I hope it inspires. Stop worrying that my creations are not good enough to post next to other seasoned stampers, especially the ladies and men who are in the business. That stems from pure old fashion anxiety.

I have a quirky ethnic style. I stamp with a lot of recycled objects. I just made a bunch of stamp embellishments from my Dove soap boxes. I go to post anywhere I see a lot of designer styles. I just freeze and don’t post my creations. That is silly because one I have those things too. I just used in a different way. Two if I get a mean criticism who cares? That is a rude person who needs to learn some manners.

I want this to be a big inspirational thread. Share lots and lots.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 8 users liked this post by lylacfey:
bzzzeee (08-03-2022), Chinocookie (07-29-2022), DianeinSparks (07-29-2022), miss (08-01-2022), Paula in GA (07-28-2022), pepperann (07-31-2022), sophmad (08-04-2022), wavejumper (07-30-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 03:25 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I would not have spent time and money chasing styles of cards that are not my style. If I like something that is maybe not the trendiest style or the style that companies want to sell, so what? Just buy what I like. Secondly, I would do everything in my power to be less of a paper hoarder. You should see my 12x12 stash. I weed out with every reorganization and move but it would have been better to learn to say "no more paper" earlier on. I heartily second your comment on not liking what I make. Not every card or every scrapbook page will be a work of art, it truly is the thought (or memory) that counts.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 10 users liked this post by lutheran:
auntiof8 (07-30-2022), Chinocookie (07-29-2022), DianeinSparks (07-29-2022), fl_beachbum (08-03-2022), Hunterri (07-31-2022), lylacfey (07-28-2022), mmc123mac (08-18-2022), smhtwin (08-03-2022), sophmad (08-04-2022), wavejumper (07-30-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 04:08 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,728 Likes on 1,849 Posts

With so many companies having everything, I would stick with one company for inks, paper, stamps, etc. I am very eclectic it seems and have so many company product and many are the same in a different name. I do not realize this until it is in my possession.

Do not be afraid to purge. I seem to keep most everything and should really let some go. I would get more creative with less supplies.

Spend money on quality product. I like to color and need good quality paper for coloring. I have a lot of paper that is not good for this, so spend your money wisely.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
cnsteele (07-29-2022), fl_beachbum (07-28-2022), gaylestamps (08-04-2022), lylacfey (07-28-2022), sophmad (08-04-2022), wavejumper (07-30-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 04:17 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I would have learned to say 'no' sooner.
No to styles I didn't really like
No to making bulk cards for someone - not my thing
No to giving up my craft space...lol - just kidding - DH needed (needs) the room as an office. He works remote and is the money earner here

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
Alice in Md (08-06-2022), ChrisO (07-28-2022), lovinpaper (07-28-2022), lutheran (07-29-2022), lylacfey (07-28-2022), sophmad (08-04-2022), wavejumper (07-30-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 08:48 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

lutheran- I agree about chasing styles. I think that is a rabbit hole we all have gone down. I wish I didn’t buy so much paper. I love paper. I wish I was more selective in my newbie years. Personally, for me I would have used more digital papers, That would have been better for me. The money I spent on paper I could have had a nice printer back in the early days. What I think is sad about my paper buying is that I used to be a digital paper designer, lol. I was also buying paper back then for my Mom. She is on a fixed income and couldn’t afford pretty paper.

lovinpaper- Yes, what you wrote 10,000 times. I didn’t realize at the time there were only a handful of companies making the same products. This is a fun thread. I do admit finding out about this company thing made me feel like I got conned, lol. Getting my room ready to move I noticed for stamping I have a lot of SU. I bought the majority used. I decided to stick with them for my majority of my stamping essentials. That decision has been freeing to let things go. I always though SU was good for matching. I don’t match anything. SU is good for not having a meltdown in your room, lol. I noticed die hard Ranger stampers are the same way in sticking with one company. They seem zen about their stamping. I think this is a thing for sticking to one company for your stamping needs.

fl_beachbum I agree to no. Especially making cards for other people.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lylacfey:
fl_beachbum (08-03-2022), gaylestamps (08-04-2022), lovinpaper (07-29-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 09:43 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Stop buying so much, use up my scraps. I found out during the pandemic I do do a lot with much less.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by STAMPTAYLOR:
fl_beachbum (08-03-2022), lylacfey (07-31-2022), pepperann (08-03-2022), smhtwin (08-03-2022), sophmad (08-04-2022), wavejumper (07-30-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 04:23 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I agree with a lot of you in that I wish that I had not spent as much on paper, especially patterned papers, or ink pads. I have about 30 ink pads that I use all the time, and some specialty ones that I use on occasion. The rest of them do NOT get used at all! Of course, my style has changed over the many years I've been stamping and that accounts for some of it (I started out only using pigment ink and now I'm almost always dye ink). However, did I need to buy ink pads in every single color there is?
I also would have avoided buying tons of stuff, in multiples no less, just because they were on sale. When you buy packs of 25 (in multiples) and then forget to use them, they go out of style or your taste changes. Then you're stuck with ugly patterns, in colors you don't like.
Now, some of the things I don't use anymore were supplies that suited me at the time I bought them. I don't regret buying those. It's the quantity of "stuff" that I bought.
Karen

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
sophmad (08-04-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 08:37 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy what you love. Not something that you just like,or think someone else would like. Ask yourself do you alreafy have something like that? Or will this work with something you already have? Know the images that always call to you, my weaknesses are leaves and snowflakes.

I would advise one organization tip I did that I am so glad I did. I made a book of all my sentiment stamps, in categories so they are easy to find. When I make a card, I pull out this book and look at all the birthday sentiments at once. I don't have to pull out a dozen stamp sets and try to figure out what will fit. Each time I buy newones I add them to the book. I also find having swatches of my inks, pencils and paints makes short work of matching colors

Yes, bought too much paper and keep telling myself I have plenty. Trying to use it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by craftydolls:
happy-stamper (08-08-2022), lylacfey (07-31-2022), smhtwin (08-03-2022), sophmad (08-04-2022), wavejumper (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 09:50 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Absolutely buy what I like, and not get caught up in the newest, fanciest, etc. And to Lutheran (Mary Beth)...I too love, love, love my paper stash, and YES, weeding out every so often. Frightening how much 12 x 12 I have too. Whether solids, or Paper packs. it's like jewelry on the shelf. My theory I am trying to embrace is...USE IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by auntiof8:
fl_beachbum (08-06-2022), lylacfey (07-31-2022), Paula in GA (07-31-2022), smhtwin (08-03-2022), wavejumper (07-30-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 04:18 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I wrote this twice and it was really long.

Ok...I am going try to limit myself....when you are doing it a long time, you have a lot you could have changed. :rolleyes: 10 things....
  • USE YOUR DP. No one "needs" 100 different Christmas papers for example. It is not food. Challenge yourself to use what you have. Fix a value per sheet and stick that money in a jar. Get a reward when you have enough. (NOT more DP!! LOL)
  • Use what you buy right away.
  • Learn all the ways to use a thing before buying more. Ie Stencils. Play with the one you have a lot-if you don't know at least 10 ways to use a stencil...keep going. I like Gerry van der Velden for this. https://www.youtube.com/c/GerrysCraftRoom
  • Be willing to play and throw away. I still struggle with this. As my Yoda said 500x years ago...it is just paper!!!
  • Never buy all the colors before you have played with one or two first.
  • Don't torture yourself. For years I struggled with uneven cuts and six different inexpensive cutters...then I got basic A2 and A7 nesting dies. Now I know the edges are straight. (Of course laying them straight is another thing LOL) If you are struggling and there is a gadget to do it for you...get it. (provided you know you will really use it) This is supposed to be fun.
  • If you like doing an old technique-keep doing it! Your recipients have NO idea. The point is to have fun.
  • But don't get into a rut....Be adventurous and try new things... but if you don't like it-don't do it. If a challenge asks you to do something you really hate...slide sideways and do it in a way you do like maintaining the subject theme. (There is a difference between being scared to try and knowing you hate it) The point of a challenge is to challenge you...but not to make you miserable. You are also allowed to skip them! lol But watch three vids by different people doing the same thing...sometimes one person will really click with you before throwing your hands up in the air and putting a splash of booze in the coffee.
  • Create a good space. It does not have to be big, fancy or even neat. Just one you are relaxed and focused in. Music...whatever. Being tense is a real mojo killer. Not leaving things to the last minute falls in here. Pressure is not good for most people. (Some thrive on it.) The dining table is fine if you don't keep getting interrupted and distracted.
  • Sketch out your design first loosely. Keeps you on track so you don't go off the rails with too much stuff. You can do that with new product too if you are not going to use it right away so you remember what you did want to do. I can start them watching tv the night before. If I know that I know what I want to do- I relax. Having NO idea is where I get nuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 15 users liked this post by wavejumper:
bzzzeee (08-03-2022), ChrisO (08-01-2022), fl_beachbum (08-03-2022), gaylestamps (08-04-2022), Hunterri (07-31-2022), kazeka (07-31-2022), lovinpaper (07-31-2022), lylacfey (07-31-2022), miss (08-01-2022), oliverkasey (08-09-2022), pepperann (08-03-2022), RenT (08-01-2022), smhtwin (08-03-2022), sophmad (08-04-2022), stampforjoy (08-24-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 05:42 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I’d buy less and use what I gave!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by stampwithjoanne:
fl_beachbum (08-03-2022), lylacfey (07-31-2022), smhtwin (08-03-2022), sophmad (08-04-2022), wavejumper (08-01-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 09:26 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

wavejumper- I love your post. I agree learn the one thing before you buy more. In the 80’s & 90’s stamps were so expensive. Our collections were small and we used all the images frequently. Fast forward we now have threads dedicated to “I have too many stamps that never see the light of day!”

I know my problem was that I would buy in multiples and then get overwhelmed where should I start? Wish I worked with one stencil, one technique and then went on.

Throw it away- One of the ladies over here said years ago that our stamping supplies are tools not jewels, That became my motto, lol, I wear my jewels. I was treating my stamp supplies like they were a blue diamond, lol,

If your tools is not working the way you want it, don’t be afraid to mod it for you, Our men do this with their tools, They are happy. They are also not going out to buy similar versions because it has the feature they want. They already put that feature on their similar tool. I struggle with this because of how much it cost. I take the tool to my DH and he mods it for me. Since I have started doing this I have no desire to buy five of the similar tool. Break your tools, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by lylacfey:
miss (08-01-2022), pepperann (08-03-2022), smhtwin (08-03-2022), wavejumper (08-01-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 03:12 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Great tips! Just like clothes or anything else, buy what you plan to use, not just what looks pretty on the shelf. Also, something that goes with what you already have is more likely to be useful.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by craftdoc:
fl_beachbum (08-03-2022), lylacfey (08-05-2022), smhtwin (08-03-2022), sophmad (08-04-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 05:22 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Kim, that sounds like the "Marie Kondo mantra".....Does it bring you joy? If not, don't buy it or keep it.
Concerning a new stamper: Definitely find your style before you buy much of anything. Search Pinterest for ideas. Don't fall for bargains or sales, just because it's cute, or that you may use it some day. Often Some Day never comes.
Remember your audience: Are you making lots of cards for men or boys? Are you making more birthday cards than anything else? Are you making cards to give away for someone else to send (as in, giving to nursing homes or other facilities).
Craftydoll and Wavejumper have some excellent points.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by harvestmoon:
fl_beachbum (08-06-2022), lylacfey (08-03-2022), Paula in GA (08-05-2022), sophmad (08-04-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 08:14 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Remember your audience: Are you making lots of cards for men or boys? Are you making more birthday cards than anything else? Are you making cards to give away for someone else to send (as in, giving to nursing homes or other facilities
That is great advice. I needed that when I got back into stamping. I use my stamps to make ephemera and journal. I bought stamps to make cards. I had over 100 different type of holiday stamps. I never used them. Most of my holiday cards are store bought that I embellish. I create a new piece of art, then digitize it for my holiday cards. I got rid of my holiday stamps. I only buy stamps for me and not a target audience.

Throwing out another one. Don’t use coloring mediums you can’t afford because you feel like you need to because everyone else is using those things. Don’t get into the Copic craze, Derwent craze, or any of those expensive crazes.

Learn your coloring technique. Some of the best artists in the world use Crayola colored pencils. When you are ready for an artist quality set of pencils, then that is the time. Artist grade is an investment. Invest when you are ready.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lylacfey:
Arlene_C (08-07-2022), pepperann (08-03-2022), sophmad (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 09:38 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

great tips! this surely is a great inspiration for me and my crafts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2022, 10:14 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

If I was just starting now, I would NOT join a stamping group that required me to spend a certain amount per month with one company. So many of the things I bought just to satisfy my obligation are still in my craft room, not being used.

This leads me into my biggest thing- I do NOT stick with one company. I'm too eclectic for that, and there are so many companies offering different and fabulous designs. Being of an artistic bent, I am totally capable of figuring out what goes with what- I don't need someone doing that for me because it's part of the process for me. (I am speaking for ME- I know a whole lot of folks need the matchy-matchy thing)

I wouldn't buy all those colored ink pads. I rarely use them, mostly using black and then coloring. If I do buy ink nowadays, I usually buy a reinker, and ink up a mini pad.

When I find something I totally LOVE, I buy great quality. (Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils are gorgeous, so I saved up and bought the big set. No regrets on that!

Don't be afraid to go outside the box when looking for supplies. On Ebay, I have purchased many items from the nail art genre (gems, wax pencils, tweezers, nail dotting tools, nail art brushes, foil, etc.) OK, it's cheap from China and it takes a month to get here, but it's pennies.

Sign up for PaperPapers emails. They have occasional sales including 50% (and sometimes more) off clearance. I have bought wonderful fancy cs there, including my personal crack- metallic cs.

I would not have bought those big pads of papers. Too much of it is not particularly me, and often the quality is not the same as by the sheet.

I would have fought my "WHOLE SET SYNDROME". I don't really NEED all of the colors of Stickles or Liquid Pearls or Colorbursts. (I did and DO need all the colors of Pixie Powders- it was worth shopping til I found a UK company with great pricing and reasonable shipping to get every color they offered. I remain totally enamoured of those, including Pixie Sparkles. Some days, I'll just sit at my desk and play with sprinkling and spraying, and end up with piles of gorgeous colored pieces to use later. I am an admitted sucker for sparkly/shiny.

I wouldn't have bought all that glitter. Mostly because then Stickles came out, and were so much less messy. (I just didn't NEED to buy every color, lol!)

I wouldn't have bought so much adhesive runner- it doesn't age well. Better to buy more often and have it retain it's stick!

I'd have accepted the stamping platform earlier, and not spent so much money and time on mounting unmounted rubber to wood blocks. I was stubborn. I do still like wood mounts though.

I would have been less concerned with "Oh look how cheap it is on sale!" and more attentive to "Do I love it enough to use it a lot?" It's only a deal if you actually USE the stuff.

I would have learned to put stuff away as soon as I was finished, so I wouldn't have massive PILES to deal with. (Sigh!)

Maybe I've said enough for now? I can always come back!

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by contrapat:
Alice in Md (08-06-2022), ChrisO (08-05-2022), DianeinSparks (08-06-2022), lylacfey (08-06-2022), Paula in GA (08-05-2022), smhtwin (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 01:23 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts

What she said.....!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
If I was just starting now, I would NOT join a stamping group that required me to spend a certain amount per month with one company. So many of the things I bought just to satisfy my obligation are still in my craft room, not being used.

I would not have bought those big pads of papers. Too much of it is not particularly me, and often the quality is not the same as by the sheet.

I would have fought my "WHOLE SET SYNDROME".

I would have been less concerned with "Oh look how cheap it is on sale!" and more attentive to "Do I love it enough to use it a lot?" It's only a deal if you actually USE the stuff.

I would have learned to put stuff away as soon as I was finished, so I wouldn't have massive PILES to deal with. (Sigh!)
That last one about putting stuff away is so TOTALLY me...
That and the WHOLE SET SYNDROME, or "Collector and Completer Syndrome" as I've heard it called.
Founding Member of the Punchkateerz - "You don't have to be crazy to be one of us, but it sure helps."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2022, 12:10 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

contrapat- You better keep adding.

Stamping groups- I don't have one. I have always wanted to go to one. I live vicariously through the stories over here. Now, that I am moving to a different state I have a chance to find a stamping group. I am terrified. Yes, terrified. I keep thinking what if I get stuck buying things that are not me? I know it's shocking but I do have a Miss Manners personality. These type of groups get me all the time because I am in the mindset "Well, it's just rude, if I don't!" Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I am sure some of our new members are like please I need tips too. I have a feeling that is going to be what I would do differently if I don't put up some rules now.

Stamps I am so glad I never stuck to one company. I need to be ecelectic in collecting my rubber stamps. There are too many stamp companies with too many beautiful stamps that want to be adopted. That is the one thing I would never do differently.

It is controversial but contrapat I agree with you think outside the box when it comes to our supplies. I am buying those China nail art items too. I actually do use them on my nails, lol. I always buy two one for my nail art and one for my paper crafting.

A lot of my favorite tools are think outside the box tools. That's what we had in the 80's & 90's was think outside the box. Look at older stamp magazines and it is pages filled with think outside the box. It was the 2000's when stamping became commercialized. I am not a hypocrite I do own a lot of trendy tools too, lol. You got to find your balance.

Oh my gosh I am so guilty of I need the whole set. I have this complete guilt of not owning all the DI reinkers. I am not joking. It's such guilt I don't enjoy my reinkers. I know it's goofy. You know I only use like a dozen colors all the time.

I also know this is a guilt that many people share. Why do I know this? Cheap art supplies on Amazon!!!! Those sets of 280 colored pencils for $40. People go crazy over them. They are like "I have a whole set of colored pencils!" It's the same with alcohol markers, fine liners, gel pens. Those gel pens get me every time, lol. I do power use my gel pens.

Glitter- More is more. That is my specialty. That is the one thing I am glad I stuck with. I did do the aged look. It's lovely, it really is. It's not me. I bought all those aged tools and I was so miserable. It wasn't my style and I did that big thing a lot of us are guilty of tried to make it work. It didn't work because it wasn't my thing. What is that motto" Trying to put a circle peg into a square hole. I have peri brain, it's something like that, lol.

To inspire I did see a Phillipine YT the other day. I can't remember her channel I am sorry. She did a beautiful stationery set with torn paper, aged it in purple ink and then added a blingy Hello Kitty to it. I was like best thing ever, lol.

It really came to me it's not the aged look I don't like. It's the I haven't found my style spin to put on it. If I did things differently put my style spin on the technique. Don't follow the technique to a T. It's not a test, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2022, 02:51 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been reading this thread with interest because I am starting over. I moved to this house six years ago and have never had a good stamping space but this summer I am creating my stamping room. Through my gallery I noticed the things that I have done well and not so well. I always do well if I start with the layout.
I am shocked at how much stamping has changed since I regularly stamped -around 2010. I began stamping in 2003. I have moved tons of stuff and also gotten rid of tons of stuff. I will not be buying a foil machine. I still use my cuddle bug for diecutting. I really am trying to embrace the less is more mindset, however there are a lot of beautiful stamps that’s out there. And someone tell me more about stencils please!

Last edited by miss; 08-06-2022 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: Correcting autocorrect
Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (08-08-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 05:21 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I think it's key to figure out what you like and what works for you. And have grace with yourself that it can change. There are styles and supplies I enjoyed for many years before I decided it no longer brought me joy. I donated and sold things and now concentrate on what the current me likes to create.

harvestmoon mentioned considering your audience. Yes! But I recommend that you also consider that you can always find an audience for the style you like to create.

Last edited by fl_beachbum; 08-06-2022 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (08-14-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 06:27 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

lylacfey- since you asked...

Rather like you, I have never liked the distressed look. I don't tear cs, I don't rough up edges. Not me. At least from the start, I knew that style wasn't me and I didn't buy any supplies for it.

Among the "outside the box" tools- a Pampered Chef pan scraper. Got that idea from a stamping group. Makes a pretty good bone folder!

What I did find in a stamping group was a Demo who was flexible- you could buy a minimum each month OR pay $3 for using her supplies. I paid the $3, that way I wasn't obligated to buy more than I wanted. As time goes by, I think lot of us have the basics and get more selective about what we purchase.

Another regret I have is buying that big tape gun. It's just too unwieldy for my hands, especially as I get older (and more decrepit...). It's in a box with aging tape refills.

Foiling- I love foiling, and bought a MINC and tons of rolls of foil. I still foil. What I am fighting is the glimmer foil stuff, since those {would you call them dies, since they don't cut???} don't work with the laminator foils. There are such gorgeous "dies" and I salivate, but I refuse to buy a whole second system. Maybe I've learned not to throw the money around. (Nah! I'm just CHEAP!!!)

Punches- I have about 3 drawers full. Mostly now I use dies. Do I regret the punches? Only the little goofy ones really. I still pull out a punch on occasion.

Dies- I have ZERO regrets about buying dies. They are so up my alley. I especially love word dies. I buy a ton of word dies cheap from China. Just a personal hint about die storage- I have pegboard on the wall behind my desk, and I bought job ticket holders (heavy clear pouches that you hang on a spike- like at an automotive repair shop, with your paperwork in it)and 8 1/2 X 11 sheet magnets that fit into the job ticket holders, and then hang on pegboard spikes. I put my dies on the magnets in the holders. You can hang a LOT of those holders on a peg! They're clear, so I can see my dies, and easy to flip through to find what I want. Best decision ever.

job ticket holders:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

magnets:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Another "outside the box" thing for me is storage. I go to store closing sales, both craft stores and other stores. In my craft room, I have commercial paper racks for both 12 X 12 and 8 1/2 X 11 paper from a closing JoAnn's. I have the pegboard from a closed Target. I have 2 flat files from a closed office furniture store. And my favorite- I have 2 parts cabinets from a dead Radio Shack. I can store SO much in those RS cabinets! I bought a literature sorter from a Craig's List seller (holds tons of cs).

Heat embossing; I still love heat embossing. I have a bunch of embossing powders and the heat gun I bought back when I was just starting. I don't use the powder tray, though. I find a sheet of copy paper, folded in half, then opened up to give me an easy way to funnel the excess powder back into a jar works better than the tray.

I do regret roller stamps. I never use them, and I have a BUNCH! I think it's mostly that I didn't want to have to buy so many ink cartridges, and the rollers are limited if you're using them with ink pads.

One thing I'll share is having Avon Skin So Soft bath oil in the craft room (and the kitchen, too). SSS takes sticky residue off. When I'm cutting things like sticky mounting foam, I clean my Kai scissors with SSS, then wipe well with paper towels. It takes old price tags off. Handy stuff, and it lasts about forever, since you hardly need a fingertip of it for most jobs. (You can also get stubborn gunk off shower doors too, if you have any time for houscleaning when you're done stamping!) I love it for removing label residue from garage sale items. It's also in my arsenal for taking old ink stains off used stamps. I've bought some disgustingly cruddy used stamps and gotten them clean using SSS, dish soap, and either a toothbrush or nail brush (or both).

Another tip- rubbing alcohol in a small spray bottle. Good for removing ink from hands, stamping platforms, desk top (know your surface- it can destroy the finish), etc.

I'm getting hungry, so I think I'm done for now.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by contrapat:
Stampnnatter (08-07-2022), TexasGrammy (08-08-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 10:13 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

This leads me into my biggest thing- I do NOT stick with one company. I'm too eclectic for that, and there are so many companies offering different and fabulous designs. Being of an artistic bent, I am totally capable of figuring out what goes with what- I don't need someone doing that for me because it's part of the process for me. (I am speaking for ME- I know a whole lot of folks need the matchy-matchy thing)

I wouldn't buy all those colored ink pads. I rarely use them, mostly using black and then coloring. If I do buy ink nowadays, I usually buy a reinker, and ink up a mini pad.

When I find something I totally LOVE, I buy great quality. (Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils are gorgeous, so I saved up and bought the big set. No regrets on that!

Don't be afraid to go outside the box when looking for supplies. On Ebay, I have purchased many items from the nail art genre (gems, wax pencils, tweezers, nail dotting tools, nail art brushes, foil, etc.) OK, it's cheap from China and it takes a month to get here, but it's pennies.

Sign up for PaperPapers emails. They have occasional sales including 50% (and sometimes more) off clearance. I have bought wonderful fancy cs there, including my personal crack- metallic cs.

I would have fought my "WHOLE SET SYNDROME". I don't really NEED all of the colors of Stickles or Liquid Pearls or Colorbursts. (I did and DO need all the colors of Pixie Powders- it was worth shopping til I found a UK company with great pricing and reasonable shipping to get every color they offered. I remain totally enamoured of those, including Pixie Sparkles. Some days, I'll just sit at my desk and play with sprinkling and spraying, and end up with piles of gorgeous colored pieces to use later. I am an admitted sucker for sparkly/shiny.

I wouldn't have bought all that glitter. Mostly because then Stickles came out, and were so much less messy. (I just didn't NEED to buy every color, lol!)

I wouldn't have bought so much adhesive runner- it doesn't age well. Better to buy more often and have it retain it's stick!

I'd have accepted the stamping platform earlier, and not spent so much money and time on mounting unmounted rubber to wood blocks. I was stubborn. I do still like wood mounts though.

Maybe I've said enough for now? I can always come back!
YES, YES, and YES...everything you said rings a bell for me. My worst habit was buying multiples of items just because they were on sale. Some supplies, like solid card stock, are slowly being whittled away...years later, but the patterned papers and embellishments that are not my style are still haunting me.

Wish I hadn't bought so many multi-colored ink pads because I rarely used them and now I never use them. That being said, I am going to play around with some of those to make backgrounds, and see what happens.

Argh...all that glitter. Never used it much because I could never keep it from getting everywhere, and falling off my projects. Stickles were such an improvement that I wish I had never even heard of loose glitter. Just can't get rid of it though, because I keep thinking I'll use it in shaker cards. Now, if I just made shaker cards, haha!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2022, 11:27 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 860 Likes on 513 Posts

I would have started making cards sooner, and done less scrapbooking. Many of my scrapbook pages feature one photo. I would have made more pages with lots of photos on the page. I would have taken less multiple pictures. I have so many pictures!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by hoptownracer1:
Arlene_C (08-07-2022), fl_beachbum (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 12:10 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

@ kazeka, personally I find glitter far too static to use in shaker cards. If you even tried just one, then you'd probably feel free to go ahead and get rid of it.
The multicoloured pads are super for big sentiments and background stamps. They're something I wish I had more of!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2022, 09:26 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I am holding onto my glitter to make my own glitter paste etc.. I've also heard you can use it on adhesive sheets and rub it in to keep it from shedding. Don't know if it works or not, as I have not tried it as yet. I have made glitter paste in the past and liked it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2022, 09:28 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/396316835960730905/
Reply With Quote Likes
RJP111 (08-08-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 10:44 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
@ kazeka, personally I find glitter far too static to use in shaker cards. If you even tried just one, then you'd probably feel free to go ahead and get rid of it.
The multicoloured pads are super for big sentiments and background stamps. They're something I wish I had more of!
Thanks for the tip on the glitter. I would hate to go to the trouble of making a shaker card and end up with a glitter mess inside the card! I plan to try one more technique with that glitter..and then it gets donated if I still don't like it. I do have lots of embossing powder and I may add glitter to some of it for a sparkly option. Just not much of a sparkly crafter in the first place though, which is probably why I shouldn't have gone overboard with the glitter purchases years back.
Just another lesson learned in my craft supply misadventures.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2022, 10:49 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
I am holding onto my glitter to make my own glitter paste etc.. I've also heard you can use it on adhesive sheets and rub it in to keep it from shedding. Don't know if it works or not, as I have not tried it as yet. I have made glitter paste in the past and liked it.
I've seen tutorials about using glitter on double sided adhesive tape (like the red tape) but my one attempt at it still made a mess. I wonder if it would help to run the finished glittery tape through the Big Shot to smoosh it all down into the tape.
I also tried using a layer of glue on card stock and squashing glitter down on it to make glitter card stock. Nope..didn't turn out well. It did add a splotchy, patchy sparkle to the card stock so I used it for small projects like ATC cards.

So as not to be too off topic in this thread, I want to add that I regret buying SO many deco scissors. I think the theme is buying too much of something, not necessarily regretting the purchase of the supply or tool as a whole.

It goes along with what someone else said about buying just one or two and using it for awhile to see if you really like it.
Karen
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
hoptownracer1 (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 11:03 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
Wow, that looks amazing and now I want to try it too. I already have everything except for colored eye shadow. I'm sure I have something else in my craft stash that would work well. Just need to add pigment that isn't liquid I guess. Thanks for the link and idea.

So maybe I'll end up amending my glitter purchase regret to wishing I had a purpose for each supply before I purchased it. And I STILL didn't need 20 different colors of glitter!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2022, 11:38 AM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
I've seen tutorials about using glitter on double sided adhesive tape (like the red tape) but my one attempt at it still made a mess. I wonder if it would help to run the finished glittery tape through the Big Shot to smoosh it all down into the tape.
I also tried using a layer of glue on card stock and squashing glitter down on it to make glitter card stock. Nope..didn't turn out well. It did add a splotchy, patchy sparkle to the card stock so I used it for small projects like ATC cards.

So as not to be too off topic in this thread, I want to add that I regret buying SO many deco scissors. I think the theme is buying too much of something, not necessarily regretting the purchase of the supply or tool as a whole.

It goes along with what someone else said about buying just one or two and using it for awhile to see if you really like it.
Karen
Karen
OMG Karen!!! Those decorative scissors!!! Me too, what she said! I suspect many many many of us have a whole bunch of those laying around. I did use them at the time, but not anymore.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2022, 11:44 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

OMG Karen!!! Those decorative scissors!!! Me too, what she said! I suspect many many many of us have a whole bunch of those laying around. I did use them at the time, but not anymore.
One or two of those deco scissors wouldn't be so bad but I have so many that I can't even count that high, ha! I gave a bunch to my grandkids and daughter, but I STILL way too many.
Guess I should just accept that I won't use them (except for the deckle edge and zig zag edge) and donate the rest to the local school. They would probably love using them. Then again, probably every paper crafter in the area has already donated their deco scissor hoards to them already!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2022, 06:25 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I’d buy more from garage sales and demos selling retired stuff.
I wouldn’t pay full price. For anything.
I’d hit more thrift stores for ribbon and embellishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by stampwithjoanne:
hoptownracer1 (08-07-2022), lylacfey (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 04:53 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

miss- I love to foil. In my other posts on this thread it is a given I love blingy things, lol. I don't want that foil plate machine. That thing scares me. It looks like a hospital visit waiting to happen, lol.

Stenciling is fun. If I want to stencil I make one using my Cricut. I don't buy stencils. I have bought stencils. That definitely went to the "What I wish I done differently!" I was happier making my own. There are beautiful stencils on the market. I don't stencil enough to ever justify the cost of buying them.

Contrapat- You know what makes a good bone folder. Milk jug flares. I learned that tip from an origami site. I love them. If you all don't know what I am talking about it's the little plastic that is on the handle of your milk jugs. The stores pop them off when they put the jugs in the cooler. You can always find them on the floor underneath the milk crates. WalMart, this weekend, delivered me one still on the handle. I do have a nice bone folder, given to me as a gift. I love my little flares.

Thank you for the tip about demo's. I really need that. I am worried they will try to rope me into buying things I don't want like the blends. I already have alcohol marker's I don't want the blends. I do think they are nice. I don't mind buying SU supplies. I want them to be things I want.

I have noticed the ATG gun is becoming the definite "What I would have done differently!" for a lot of paper crafter's I use the tape without the gun. I do have a gun since I do a lot of framing. I am thinking of putting it in the declutter bag when I move. I don't like loading it. You need a Ph.d to load it, lol. I use my so sparingly the tape lasts forever so when I do need to load it I forgot how too, lol.

Punches- I think our new members that punches have been taken out of the equation for so many of them because dies are easier to find in stores and online. Punches have become harder to find. I have a lot of "What I would do differently with my punches?" I still struggle with it. I am using dies a lot more too. I love my Cricut Joy. I will just cut a heart with my Cricut Joy. It's always beside me on my desk. My iPad or computer is always near me. It is quicker for me to cut a heart with my Joy than dig around in my punches.

I love your ideas for die storage. That is brilliant. I have mine stored by categories, in sandwich bags, & they are all stored in my photo boxes arranged by their categories. I just grab a bag and start die cutting. It's so easy and fun.

Embossing is the one reason I haven't gone completely digital in my stamping. I love it too much. I do the same method of just using the paper. It's so easy. I know it's controversial but if I could give only one piece of advice to new stampers that is- DON'T MAKE IT COMPLICATED! You don't need seventy-five tools on your desk for something that only takes three steps.

I might have to revisit Skin So Soft. I use baby oil for all my sticky nightmares. I love it, and it works great. Skin So Soft smells better. Yes, rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle is a definite for cleaning up and removing gunk from scissors. I was using it earlier when my black alcohol ink decided to spill on my hands instead of my paper. It's still under one fingernail. I am annoyed about this, lol.

Glitter- I am seeing a trend on this one of "What I wish I had done differently. Like Distress or Aging paper technique glitter is it's own technique. I think that's why so many struggle with it. Glittering takes practice and technique to make it pretty and work correctly. I don't want any of our new members who love bling to be scared of glitter. It's a talent, practice, technique like any of our stamping loves.

I love my deco scissors.

stampwithjoanne- I wish I could like your post fifty thousand times. I agree buy used stamping items. Never pay full price. I still buy new stamps but at Hobby Lobby when they are on sale.

Reply With Quote Likes
miss (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 09:16 AM   #35  
Inking Addict

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Wow, that looks amazing and now I want to try it too. I already have everything except for colored eye shadow. I'm sure I have something else in my craft stash that would work well. Just need to add pigment that isn't liquid I guess. Thanks for the link and idea.

So maybe I'll end up amending my glitter purchase regret to wishing I had a purpose for each supply before I purchased it. And I STILL didn't need 20 different colors of glitter!
Karen
One way that I like to use glitter for shaker cards is putting it in the middle of a laminate pouch and running through the laminator, this way you can use it as a window for your shaker card. If you sprinkle white embossing power and use the same technique you can create a “snow” effect that looks very pretty in shaker Christmas cards. Hope it helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (08-11-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 09:31 AM   #36  
Inking Addict

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I would watch more YouTube videos of creators that show techniques rather than the “famous” ones that show several different products in each video! I bought a lot of products in the beginning because someone recommended because I didn’t have enough knowledge to understand that there were alternatives/ another brands of products. I bought a lot of products because of this.
I would not get so worried about creating a stash of paper either. I bought cheap paper packs with hideous colors (hello lime green) that are stuck with me for almost a decade!
As a card maker I would buy 6x6 paper packs instead of 12x12 specially the hot buy ones because they never seem to end!!
Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (08-09-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 09:56 AM   #37  
Watercolor Wizard

Lilacfey-

"You know what makes a good bone folder. Milk jug flares."

I don't know if you are a cat person, but also from milk jugs, the ring around the mouth of the jug that breaks off when you unscrew the cap the first time? Best cat toy EVER!

Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 04:42 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLiveCraftView Post
I would watch more YouTube videos of creators that show techniques rather than the “famous” ones that show several different products in each video! I bought a lot of products in the beginning because someone recommended because I didn’t have enough knowledge to understand that there were alternatives/ another brands of products. I bought a lot of products because of this.
I would not get so worried about creating a stash of paper either. I bought cheap paper packs with hideous colors (hello lime green) that are stuck with me for almost a decade!
As a card maker I would buy 6x6 paper packs instead of 12x12 specially the hot buy ones because they never seem to end!!
Yes, to less "famous". This really got me bad when I got back into stamping. It was the time when paper crafting really took off and we had those huge CHA shows. There was so many new things to learn. I fell down that rabbit hole. It really messed me up as an artist. When I realized it was hurting me as an artist I turned off anything famous- infuencers, stars, design teams, etc... It was the smartest thing I ever did in my stamping journey. This is the #1 thing that falls into "What I Would Have Done Differently?" That is never ever follow the famous stars, no matter how sweet and lovely they are.

Nothing against all who teach us. I know for some it's been great for them as an artist and they have flourished and become stars in their own way. For me it was not a good thing at all.

I had so much product and tools because of this. Then when I found out there were alternatives I did actually feel quite stupid, lol. I should have known better. I gave so much away. I thought at least somebody who needs to follow in that type of teaching style will be able too.

Yes, to less paper. Confession time everyone. I am going through my paper right now for this move. It's only 1/4 of the paper. It's been crazy. I have a stack of paper that is at least 100 pages I just grabbed randomly. I started going through it saying is this me, or not? When I finished I had a little tiny pile.

I am doing digital from now on and only buying paper that is definite style. Trust me when I say this definite style won't become a problem because the paper crafting industry never has paper I use just for me, lol.

I still do love to buy paper with pretty images on it so I can cut it out for ephemera. I like to do that instead of buying the scrapbook ephemera packages. I get more use out of it. I will rarely buy paper that I only will use for a background. If I can't fussy cut or Scan n' Cut images out of it then it's not going to be in my home.

ContraPat- Those little milk rings are their own little collection. DH is the only one that uses milk. I am allergic. We get four jugs in per month. I swear there are fifteen milk jug rings in our home per month. I think my cats are learning how to duplicate them, lol. I am a cat person.

Last edited by lylacfey; 08-09-2022 at 04:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes