Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Foam Stamps - Acrylic Paint - Looking for advice (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/foam-stamps-acrylic-paint-looking-advice-641861/)

istampustamp 06-22-2022 04:11 PM

Foam Stamps - Acrylic Paint - Looking for advice

This will be a blast from the past I'm sure! I am an old school scrapbooker, creating scrapbook pages with all the old tools and techniques - chipboard, Quickutz die cutting, foam stamps, brads, etc. I'm really missing the old cat's eye chalk inks and acrylic paints that Making Memories used to sell. Does anyone still use paint on their pages, chipboard, acrylic pieces and foam stamps?

I've pulled out my old Making Memories foam stamps - can't wait to apply the old Jersey font stamps to a few pages. What do you recommend to use that is similar to the old Making Memories and Heidi Swapp paints that we used way back when?

Most of my scrapbook stock has been in storage almost 10 years - way too long, but circumstances just wouldn't allow me to unpack my scrap room through 2 cross country moves and 2 house changes, until just recently. I knew it would be the case, but it was so sad to see DOZENS of bottles of dried up paint and other liquid product.

Hope to hear some advice from old-timers who are familiar with what I'm talking about.

lutheran 06-23-2022 01:09 AM

I know exactly what you are talking about. Big foam stamps and paint made especially for use on paper was a big part of my scrapbook arsenal in the early 2000's. I don't have any recommendations for a paint to use now, all the paints in craft stores are for use on walls, wood, etc., and would make paper wrinkly when it dries. I would use regular stamping ink, juicy pad, and stamp as usual. If the ink goes on bubbly or unevenly use a brayer to ink the stamps. Good luck and happy scrappin!
Mary Beth

leibetty 06-23-2022 04:31 AM

I used regular craft paint ( and also had some of the making memories paint) while yes there is less water in the MM paint - I was successful with craft paint.
I know that some brands are runnier than others, one runnier is Apple Barrel, and i think the folk art brand is a little thicker

leibetty 06-23-2022 04:33 AM

I also still have my alphabet foam stamps - letters don't go out of style! :)

dini 06-28-2022 06:10 PM

Do you follow ArtFoamies? They would have product recommendations for you. Kristen Powers knows all the things. :)

jeanne3579 06-29-2022 05:26 AM

Many of the acrylic paints would work on paper. Not sure about the other brands, but I have used Folk Art successfully on paper. I remember those foam stamps, but used them with ink---worked equally successful on paper as on my fingers!

Mittens20 06-29-2022 06:49 AM

I think some of the Tim Holtz paints would work. I have used them on cards and not had a problem.

TexasGrammy 07-11-2022 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mittens20 (Post 22181926)
I think some of the Tim Holtz paints would work. I have used them on cards and not had a problem.

Tim's Distress Ink Paints is exactly what I was thinking. They are used on both cardstock and papers, along with alterable items. If any are sold at a crafty store near you, it could be worth a try, without jumping in with a big purchase. ;)

kazeka 07-12-2022 12:39 AM

I tried using Folk Art paint years ago but actually ended up preferring pigment ink instead. The pigment ink wasn't runny and it didn't soak through the paper. Even my kids were able to stamp with the big foam stamps and I still have almost all of them. I plan to have a craft session with my grandkids this summer and experiment with the paints that I have (cheap paints that I got at Michael's Crafts) and pigment inks as well. When I first started stamping, I used almost all pigment inks because I liked the vibrant colors but then eventually switched to dye ink. I still have so many pigment ink pads that I'm looking for ways to use them and the foam stamps might be just the solution.
I love pulling out those oldies and taking them for a ride again!
Karen