Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2006, 05:57 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fired Ceramics

Has anyone tried stamping on ceramics that will be fired? I think maybe stayzon would work, or maybe craft ink, but I don't want to ruin a ceramic piece. With regular ceramic paint, the color changes a lot during firing. I wonder if stamping ink would also change. It might work to just do a black stayzon outline stamp, and paint it in ceramic-type paint for firing. Does anyone have any experience?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 06:14 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I don't have any experience, but maybe you could do a test piece say on a tile or something small and inexpensive. Sorry I don't have any better idea for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 06:15 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I work in a ceramics studio, though I don't know all the details of what you plan to do (low-fire, high-fire, type of glaze/no glaze, etc). But I would recommend against using anything but actual ceramic paints. Our kilns heat to 1800 degrees, and most everything not ceramic paint burns off. We do a lot of stamping on bisque, and we just sponge the paint onto the stamp, then stamp. Works wonderful.

As for color changes, if you are truly concerned about it and don't already have a reference (our studio has samples already), take some tiles and paint them with the colors you want to use and/or stamp them. Fire them as you plan to finish your other project and see how they turn out. Since you'll only get one coat of paint for the actual image, you want a darker color--pale colors often don't show up that well.

In case it matters, we mostly use Gare paints and Gare glossy glaze.

HTH!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 06:29 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Jennifer, Thanks for the info! I just keep looking for new ways to use my stamps. Thought ceramics might be cool, but I think I'll pass.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Of course, another option would be to base coat the piece and get it glazed, then go ahead and use stayz on or the like on it once fired.

I wish I had pictures of all the cool stuff at the studio that's been stamped--it comes out really nice! (The entire top of our checkout counter has teal blue tiles on which the SU! Toile Blossoms were stamped in black).

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 05:22 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Jennifer,
How are the tiles different? They aren't fired?? Where is your store located? Is there a web site? I'd love to see more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 07:09 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

We're in Falls Church, VA. I will try and take some pictures and upload them, but I don't know when I can do that.

The tiles were stamped with ceramic paints and then glazed and fired. You can also get already glazed stamps from a craft store or tile store and use Stayzon to stamp. (I've seen people use Sharpies to color in with success, but I don't personally like the look).

Another suggestion would be for you to go and do some test tiles if you have a paint-your-own place near you. Tiles are usually pretty cheap, and you can play with color and technique. (For example, our place sells 6" tiles for 4.50 each). I do this all the time as I learn more about painting, and use the tiles as coasters afterwards unless I *really* screwed up. I like to test out new designs I'm working on, to see the best options.

Oh, I just thought of another option: There's several other kinds of tile paints that would work just as well. On already glazed tile, you can use Perm-Enamel and the like (I've done this a lot with success, just not lately). There's also really low-fire ceramic paints for already glazed tiles that you seal by cooking in your home oven.

I guess what I'm saying is don't throw away the option just yet. Stamped ceramics can be beautiful, and I see people use them all the time on plates, plaques, bowls, etc.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 08:42 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks, Jennifer. I think I'll try the tiles.
Reply With Quote Likes