Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-19-2004, 05:18 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Film developing

For any and all Michigan scrapbookers I heard an add on the radio yesterday saying the Meijers was having a sale this Saturday and developing film for $1.99/24 exp. I'm not sure how there pictures but I usually spend $6-$8 for a 24 exp.

[email protected]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 05:54 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

The sale you heard about is usually the day after Thanksgiving up until noon. I used to do mine this way UNTIL I became a scrapbooker. Part of how your photo turns out is in the processing. I think they run them through too fast. The quality is not very good. I am a sale hound but on this one, I reccomend paying the full price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 06:05 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the input. I've never used them but I know some do and like them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 06:22 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanya
The sale you heard about is usually the day after Thanksgiving up until noon. I used to do mine this way UNTIL I became a scrapbooker. Part of how your photo turns out is in the processing. I think they run them through too fast. The quality is not very good. I am a sale hound but on this one, I reccomend paying the full price.
You also have to be careful that the processing machine and the kind of film you use are the same. For example, Wal-mart uses a Fuji machine so pictures taken with Fuji film turn out better. Target uses a Kodak machine so Kodak film works better. I took a photography class once and this is what the instructor told us. Once I started following this rule all of my pictures have turned out better.

HTH

Katy C.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 06:33 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by katydidnt
You also have to be careful that the processing machine and the kind of film you use are the same. For example, Wal-mart uses a Fuji machine so pictures taken with Fuji film turn out better. Target uses a Kodak machine so Kodak film works better. I took a photography class once and this is what the instructor told us. Once I started following this rule all of my pictures have turned out better.

HTH

Katy C.
Wow, that's really interesting to know. I normally use my digital camera, but when I do use film I'll be paying more attention to what kind of processing machines the stores use now!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 09:32 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by katydidnt
Kind of...
Fuji film and paper is more green sensitive, but Kodak is more blue sensitive...to put it most basically. There's something similar about paper, but I forget the specifics.

Here's an article that goes through different aspects of film:
http://www.phototechmag.com/buying_colorflm.htm
It's specific to the professional films, but should carry over to the stuff the rest of us find at WalMart and Target.

It also makes a huge difference on how well the photo printer is set up (and managed)...whether it's been calibrated recently, the temp. of the chemicals, the age of the chemicals...a huge array of variables. That's probably why pictures at a smaller less busy shop turn out better than rushed $1.99 prints.
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 11:14 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Of course, if you have a giant bowl of film, like some people I know (not me!!), you could always take them to Meijer's, get all of the rolls developed, and then just get enlargments of the ones that you really like at a better shop.

Vanessa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 12:12 PM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Of course, if you have a giant bowl of film, like some people I know (not me!!), you could always take them to Meijer's, get all of the rolls developed, and then just get enlargments of the ones that you really like at a better shop.

Vanessa
Ok just had to step in and say that if you do get your film done fast and inexpensive you also run the risk of poor processing and negative damage which in the long run will not allow you to make a good enlargement
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 12:35 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I take my pictures to an actual camera shop. When I was in college I was poor like everyone else. I sent my pictures out to be developed to Clarke or the other one. And the pictures looked fine then. Today the images are horrible. They have been stored the same as my other pictures, but my growing up years that are 15 years old (and color) are in much better shape. Now Clarke might be better now than they were in the 80s, but I take no chances.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 12:47 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanessa

Vanessa
Ok just had to step in and say that if you do get your film done fast and inexpensive you also run the risk of poor processing and negative damage which in the long run will not allow you to make a good enlargement
I really didn't know that. Thanks for the info! I learn new things on here all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 01:00 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazystamper
I take my pictures to an actual camera shop.
I can't find an actual camera shop around here! There used to be a couple but they've gone out of business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2004, 01:15 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

We send film to Ofoto (www.ofoto.com), which is an online service from Kodak. They process the film and return the negatives to you for around $3-$4 per roll. While the negatives are on their way back to you, you get an email with a link to your images online. You can also share the images with whoever you like. You can order prints from Ofoto of whatever images you want (and not pay for any less-than-perfect shots), or you can take your negatives to a local photo shop if you need something fancy done.

Ofoto does enlargements too, I think they recommend up to 8x10 from film images. If you upload high resolution digital pictures to them, you can get enlargements up to 20x30. We've used them for about 3 years and have always had speedy service and reliable print results. The only caveat is that they'll only accept regular C-41 process film - 35MM and Advantix. If you're shooting slides or regular B&W film, you generally need to use somebody local.
Reply With Quote Likes