Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tell me about using chipboard for embellishments

I'm seeing embellishments made of chipboard like little flowers and little buttons. Are those bought things or can I make them myself with chipboard and my Big Shot?

Are there dies available for these small embellishments?

Terry
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You can use chipboard "coasters" and dies to create your own embellishments. Here is an example from a Papertrey designer:

Simply Stamped: Button Boutique

Papertrey has lots of small dies, also check out My Favorite Things for small dies to use for embellishments. Many of the smaller flower dies or punches can be used to make embellishments.

There are all types of chipboard available, but the coasters are a nice weight, and you can stamp on them and color them. Some folks even use cereal boxes or the backs of legal pads/notebooks and cover them with patterned cardstock to make embellishments.

You can add glitter or cover them with Glossy Accents.

The possibilities are endless.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 02-26-2012 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For any punches or dies that might not work with chipboard, there's a tutorial in the Resources section for making buttons from layered cardstock: Paper Buttons
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I love chipboard - but as we get it here in Australia is probably not how you get it in the USA. However, the same things would apply. I love covering mine with design papers, especially alphabets, and then tying ribbons around them, or putting rhinestones etc on them. I also like to gesso them, to prepare the surface, then colour over with direct to paper with inkpads. Then when that is dry, add a stamped image.

I use these mostly for scrapbooking - I think chipboard is too heavy for cards, but that is just me. It just lends itself to dressing up....

Have fun :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you!! You must think I'm a dimwit! hahaha!! I'm a beginner to making cards and being here on SCS. I'd had looked at dies before but never made the connection that all those cute embellishments I see were made with a die and chipboard. I thought they must just be bought that way! I turn 65 in a few days, am I forgiven? LOL!!

I looked at PTI's dies and saw some cute ones and stamps that go with them that looked really nice. I also looked at MFT and see some cute small dies. I don't see any stamps that particularly go with them though. I know I don't need a stamp to go with the dies, but I like that idea.

I think I might go with PTI. Are there other places also?

Terry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdieluverView Post
Thank you!! You must think I'm a dimwit! hahaha!! I'm a beginner to making cards and being here on SCS. I'd had looked at dies before but never made the connection that all those cute embellishments I see were made with a die and chipboard. I thought they must just be bought that way! I turn 65 in a few days, am I forgiven? LOL!!

I looked at PTI's dies and saw some cute ones and stamps that go with them that looked really nice. I also looked at MFT and see some cute small dies. I don't see any stamps that particularly go with them though. I know I don't need a stamp to go with the dies, but I like that idea.

I think I might go with PTI. Are there other places also?

Terry
Don't feel bad about not knowing about stuff, Terry. I'm a little older than you, and I learn new things every day when I come here. There are lots of chipboard embellishments that you can buy ready-made, and I'm sure many people use them. I'm like you, and really enjoy creating my own.

You might check out Taylored Expressions. They have a nice line of stamps with matching dies. Here is a link to one of them. You said you liked flowers. They have more when you look around there:

Bugabee Flowers (set of 6)

Oops, I just noticed that the Taylored Expression stamps are rubber and not clear. I personally have a real hard time lining up rubber stamps evenly on die cut images. I have much better luck with the clear stamps like Papertrey, so I can see exactly where I'm stamping. Just wanted to let you know.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 02-26-2012 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 04:19 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I just ordered the PTI button die and their blooming flower die and the stamps that go with the flower die. I ordered the coaster chipboard from etsy last nite. What fun!

Terry
Reply With Quote Likes