Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unmounted Stamps

I have to say that I wasn't sold on the idea of unmounted stamps at first. I bought a few sets from TAC and didn't like the idea that there was no image on the back. I'm still not crazy about that factor when it comes to word stamps, but I now find myself buying more and more 'naked' stamps!
You just can't beat the price, and they take up so little room!
That has become an issue with me because I can no longer get up to my stamping room easily due to my on-going knee problems. I've set up an area in my dining room for stamping and just can't spread out as I was able to upstairs.
I unmounted all my wheels, and they fit in two SU! stamp cases. They're much easier to use now, too.
I just purchased five stamps from Eat Cake Graphics, and the total was $19.50 plus just $1.50 for shipping! I buy Cling Mount from Bees Wax for $2.99 for an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet. You can do a ton of stamps with just one sheet!
I'll still buy wood-mounted stamps, of course, but unmounted will now make up a big share of my purchases![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unmounted stamps rock! Just like Acrylic stamps! The prices can't be beat!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

ooh! I have a tip to share! My friend Marissa just posted this indexing tutorial on her blog for the TAC stamps! Check it out! I hope it helps you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I just finished unmounted the rest of my wood mounted stamps. WHEW! What a task. I have a big banker's box full of rubber sorted by company or category (based on how I sorted them when they were mounted on wood).
  • My box of 200 clear CDs cases with no tray just arrived this afternoon from Rima. (With shipping, this figures out to 20 cents per CD case.)
  • Now I am waiting for the 31 sheets of EZ Mount to arrive. I have a feeling this isn't nearly enough but at least I know I can get more should I need it.
  • My CD spine labels arrived on Friday from Onlinelabels.com. (I split the order with a few other TAC gals because I didn't think I would need 8000 labels! That's good because it only figured out to 24 cents per sheet of 80 labels.) I figured out how the right dimensions to add this custom size label to Word so that I can just do a mail merge from a spreadsheet export from Splash Shopper. This program is on both my computer and my PDA so that I always have my inventory of all of my stamping supplies with me.
  • I also had to order more storage for my CD cases. I found this to be a good purchase from Amazon.com. Each case holds 30 CDs and they are stackable. $6.99 each and it's eligible for the free shipping option if your total is over $25.
  • I'm also a late-comer to the hot knife thing... as I've been a die-hard Kai scissors user. I bought mine from Sunday International but did find that Michaels sells the same thing and you can use a coupon on it. This works slick for cutting the EZ Mount foam around precut rubber. I still plan to use the Kai scissors on rubber that comes in sheets but for the rubber I've ripped from the wood mounts, this is the quickest for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Oh, but you CAN have the image on the back of your stamps. It's easier if they're new.. you just ink up your image with Black StazOn and line up the corners of your stamp with the corner of your EZMount and stamp it. Then you flip the EZ Mount over, peel off the paper to expose the sticky side and light up the corners and stick the rubber to it. Then trim as usual. Voila! Now you have your image.
It's a "bit" more tricky if you're using previously trimmed stamps, but by no means impossible. I've stamped the image on the EZCling of ALL my stamps. You just have to find a place to line it up with, maybe even if you drew a tiny pencil line on your stamp and the foam and follow the above procedure. I LOVE that system! Sure makes it easy to see the stamps in the CD cases too without having to stamp a separate index sheet to tuck in with them.
TAC makes it simple by putting all the images on one piece of rubber and putting a border around the whole thing. Super easy to line up!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I have photos of my indexed unmounted stamps in my gallery:
Unmounted Stamps by KimberlyinMN at Splitcoaststampers

I've found that the Palette ink actually works better (for me) than Stazon. The Stazon ink seems to always transfer to the CD case even if I let it dry for a few hours or overnight.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Kimberly said:
"I'm also a late-comer to the hot knife thing... as I've been a die-hard Kai scissors user. I bought mine from Sunday International but did find that Michaels sells the same thing and you can use a coupon on it. This works slick for cutting the EZ Mount foam around precut rubber. I still plan to use the Kai scissors on rubber that comes in sheets but for the rubber I've ripped from the wood mounts, this is the quickest for me."

So, what is the "hot knife thing"? Is that another way to cut rubber? I HATE cutting as I have arthritis & shaky hands & never get a good, clean cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I also use Palette Noir (black) ink for stamping...although I don't stamp the back of my cling....I cut a piece of cs 4 3/4 x 4 3/4 and put all of what I can of one set on my big block, ink it up once and stamp the cs...that stamped sheet then goes into the cd case

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

[*]I also had to order more storage for my CD cases. I found this to be a good purchase from Amazon.com. Each case holds 30 CDs and they are stackable. $6.99 each and it's eligible for the free shipping option if your total is over $25.[*]

I wish I would have seen that link when I began unmounting my sets. I'll send my unmounting newbies there...I like that they put it together with the empty cd cases too....kinda like an "unmounted stamps starter storage system" lol

How many sets did you end up doing (or are in the process of doing?)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 03:27 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharenStampenView Post
So, what is the "hot knife thing"? Is that another way to cut rubber? I HATE cutting as I have arthritis & shaky hands & never get a good, clean cut.
The hot knife is actually just for cutting the EZ Mount foam. It won't cut the rubber. However, it might be something for you to think about because cutting "just" the rubber with scissors is much easier. Then you put the rubber on the EZ Mount foam and then use the hot knife to cut around the rubber. The hot knife is basically a wood burning tool with a blade attached. The blade heats up and pretty much melts/cuts the foam.

Are you using a Kai scissors? The scissors also makes a big difference in how easy it is to cut the rubber.

I have rheumatoid arthritis that has been in remission now for over three years but my hands do tend to get achy when cutting too much. Or actually, I think they hurt the worst from pulling apart stamps like I did last week. That might not be the arthritis though.... probably just from using my hand and wrist muscles more than normal.

The hot knife is about $12.99 at Michaels. You can use a coupon on it to bring it down to around $8.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 03:31 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by se_tacstamperView Post
I wish I would have seen that link when I began unmounting my sets. I'll send my unmounting newbies there...I like that they put it together with the empty cd cases too....kinda like an "unmounted stamps starter storage system" lol

How many sets did you end up doing (or are in the process of doing?)
Well.... I only had about 100 sets to unmount and those I did last year. Now I am doing all of my single stamps. Egad! I know I have seven CDs of just Inky Antics snowmen. Four CDs of Fluffles the Cat by Stampendous. I also have pretty much all of the Art Impressions people and animals, etc. I don't know HOW many CDs they will take up!

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 05:26 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow...I'm glad I saw this. Why are you unmounting? for space conservation and that ability to get more stamps? LOL :p that sounds good to me. How do you use the stamps once they are unmounted? Are you going to use acrylic blocks with adhesive or do you save some of the wood? Since they are not clingy like the acrylic, does this work or is there another method. I am struggling finding the balance between my living space and my crafting space...my crafing space is taking over! LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 05:33 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

The EZ Mount cushion has vinyl cling on the side that isn't attached to the rubber. This sticks to the acrylic block like the clear stamps.

I started unmounting because we were thinking of having a baby and my stamping room would be turned into a baby's room. (That was last year.) Now that we aren't working on that project anymore, I am continuing because I LOVE the space savings and the dollar savings (if I buy non-SU or wood mounted stamps). I'll still buy them though because I "buy what I like."

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 08:50 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

I did close to 100 sets when all was said and done, including my background stamps.

For me, it was space and weight issues...we were making a military move overseas,and I was darned if I were going to get rid of any of my stamp sets lol.

I watched a video on the hot knife someone posted on here some place...it would be good for someone with hand issues, however, I prefer my Kia scissors..they cut sooo easy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

and you, Susan, are the queen of trimming stamps! I couldn't believe how beautifully you cut your stamps when I saw them on your blog...honestly, they looked die cut to me! You wanna come visit and recut mine for me?!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Happy Heart... I'm so sorry you're having trouble with your knee which is hindering your climbing the stairs to your stamping room. {{{Hugs}}} and wishes that you can find some relief soon.

My first unmounted stamps were the Bellas. I really liked using them, and now own several sets of clear stamps from Papertrey, and some GinaK unmounteds. It seems every day there is something new that grabs my attention, and credit card! Thanks for the link for the cling mount.

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by staramazeView Post
ooh! I have a tip to share! My friend Marissa just posted this indexing tutorial on her blog for the TAC stamps! Check it out! I hope it helps you!
Can I just state right now that mine never turn out that amazing? Un-fair! lol I always end up not lining them up correctly but maybe because I've been trying to do them one at a time instead of the sheet. Hmmmmm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by anirokView Post
Can I just state right now that mine never turn out that amazing? Un-fair! lol I always end up not lining them up correctly but maybe because I've been trying to do them one at a time instead of the sheet. Hmmmmm
DEFINETLY do the whole sheet at once.

I line it up from one corner, and then when I adhere it I make sure to line it up from the same corner.

I've found that I can be as precise as I was able to get when putting the clear labels on the back of wood blocks. (Not exact, but close enough)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321View Post
DEFINETLY do the whole sheet at once.

I line it up from one corner, and then when I adhere it I make sure to line it up from the same corner.

I've found that I can be as precise as I was able to get when putting the clear labels on the back of wood blocks. (Not exact, but close enough)
Even the huge sheets (ie Circle Sampler)? It seemed like a lot to do at once.

I'm usually pretty close. But I run out of ez mount on occasion lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am in the process of unmounting now, and I'm confused about the image idea. The back of my EZ Mount is black - how do the images show up if oyu stamp them in black? Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

the Creative Cling from TAC is grey on the back so then you can do it.

you might try white stazon for the black backing

just my 2 cents
Michele ~ Creative Consultant #3733 ~ The Angel Company
http://michele.ismyangel.net OR http://www.angelmichele.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the tip. That makes much more sense. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how black would sho up on black. Great idea about the white SatzOn - I think I even have some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by anirokView Post
Even the huge sheets (ie Circle Sampler)? It seemed like a lot to do at once.

I'm usually pretty close. But I run out of ez mount on occasion lol
I've never cut before indexing- even the $19.95 sheets.

I don't index totally bold images though, as I found that if the cling is completely covered in stazon the stickyness isn't as great (though it still clings)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Indexing is something I have Never done. Well not on the back of my stamps anyway.

I usually place that rubber sheet on the sticky side of the Ez-mount and then peel the paper off the cling side and start cutting. I then take a piece of paper and stamp on it. cut it to side of the CD case. and tape it in.

Then place my stamps inside.

Label the outside of the case on the spline. with the name of the set. and if the set has 2 Cases then I mark 1 and 2.

I also use Tim Holtz Scissors for cutting. The work great on Rubber and foam.

And I only use them for this purpose.

But everyone is different in the way they use their stamps and mount them.

This works for me and might not work for you.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by allamericanstampersView Post
and you, Susan, are the queen of trimming stamps! I couldn't believe how beautifully you cut your stamps when I saw them on your blog...honestly, they looked die cut to me! You wanna come visit and recut mine for me?!?
Thanks Chris, I LOVE trimming stamps!

I'll tell you a little thing about me....I'm so **** about how I want them, that if I buy a set from someone else that's already trimmed, I usually remount them on foam and trim them again...too many people undercut their stamps and that drives me NUTS!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 12:25 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

Default Cd Storage Container Idea

I have read that there is another storage container for DVD/CD 's. It is sold in the housewares section of Walmart. It is only 1.00.It is a clear almost square bin with holes in it, made by Sterlite. You put your cds in it and keep it on its side to use and all you have to do is to slide a cd out to use. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 04:34 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftymawView Post
I have read that there is another storage container for DVD/CD 's. It is sold in the housewares section of Walmart. It is only 1.00.It is a clear almost square bin with holes in it, made by Sterlite. You put your cds in it and keep it on its side to use and all you have to do is to slide a cd out to use. HTH
They look like mini milk crates

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #28  
Inking Addict

OK, this may be a stupid question but I am going to throw it out there anyway.

If you are unmounting your stamps, why put foam back on them? Is there a benefit to the foam being there? If you have already mounted stamps then do you have to pull the rubber off then use the EZ-mount or can you just stick something to the rubber to make them like clear aqualric stamps?

I was thinking of unmounting mine and am just looking around for ideas. But then again, I only have about 20 sets if I'm lucky. I love my bellas being unmounted and then I just use like double sided sticky tape and stick them to a block to stamp my images.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by fancher212View Post
OK, this may be a stupid question but I am going to throw it out there anyway.

If you are unmounting your stamps, why put foam back on them? Is there a benefit to the foam being there? If you have already mounted stamps then do you have to pull the rubber off then use the EZ-mount or can you just stick something to the rubber to make them like clear aqualric stamps?

I was thinking of unmounting mine and am just looking around for ideas. But then again, I only have about 20 sets if I'm lucky. I love my bellas being unmounted and then I just use like double sided sticky tape and stick them to a block to stamp my images.

Thanks
I never use EZMount...I put a dab of a repositionable glue on the back of the 'naked' stamp (no foam or cushion). The glue holds the stamp on the acrylic block just fine. Some people put strips of Scotch Poster Tape on the acrylic block and stick the stamp on the tape. If the stamp is large or a phto-type stamp, I place 6mm craft foam (Foamies) under the paper when stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the ez mount cause I like the cling and want it to stick to the cd case in its correct spot - I've stamped the back of the cd case(not the ez mount) with the stamp using staz-on. also, some of the stamps just seem to work better with a little cushion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:54 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I like the cling of the EZMount too. The tape and the tac-it-over glues are just too messy for me, and too much to have to think about. The foam is nice and clean, and I stamp the image on the clingy side of the foam, which makes positioning the stamp even that much easier. And once mounting on the foam is done, it's done. I don't have to worry about it anymore. I also think having the foam is more "forgiving" if the surface you're stamping on isn't exactly smooth-- say you accidentally have a piece of scrap paper or something under where you're stamping. The foam evens that all out to give a perfect image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I also prefer to use Palette to index my saying stamps! I do not index my images stamps, just the words! I love the unmounted system casue is cheaper and is less bulky so I have two towers of CD's with my collection of stamps!!

Love,
Diana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Default unmounting stamps

when you unmount your stamps, specifically SU stamps, do you leave the cushion on it or you remove it from it completely...? by cushion i mean the grey part between the wood and the rubber....???
i am a hobby demo thinking about unmounting my stamps for space sake....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #34  
ADW
Inking Addict

I love all stamps with a nice design! But I do think acrylic has its advantages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamplovinglatinaView Post
when you unmount your stamps, specifically SU stamps, do you leave the cushion on it or you remove it from it completely...? by cushion i mean the grey part between the wood and the rubber....???
i am a hobby demo thinking about unmounting my stamps for space sake....
Yep---take everything off to the bare rubber. I use EzMount for the same reason someone a few posts up does. DO it once and you're done. very clean from then on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 04:54 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay this is a stupid question but I am just now discovering the joy of "naked stamps". If I buy the "slimline" cd cases, will the unmounted but still having foam on them stamps fit in them and still close. They are much cheaper than the regular cases but I am ordering them on-line and can't get a real feel for how think they are from the pic....Anybody know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 05:32 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

I just started stamping and already I'm having storage issues. So glad to read this, it's definitely something I'd like to start!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 05:34 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by misssezView Post
Okay this is a stupid question but I am just now discovering the joy of "naked stamps". If I buy the "slimline" cd cases, will the unmounted but still having foam on them stamps fit in them and still close. They are much cheaper than the regular cases but I am ordering them on-line and can't get a real feel for how think they are from the pic....Anybody know?
No - you need full sized CD cases.

Sorry....

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. Victor Hugo

SeeMyGallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennkbView Post
No - you need full sized CD cases.

Sorry....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 05:41 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by misssezView Post

No, they will not fit in the slimline cases with foam.

Reply With Quote Likes