Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Faux Stitching (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/faux-stitching-170894/)

*brailler* 08-02-2006 08:48 AM

Faux Stitching

Can anyone out there share how to do the faux stitiching technique using the craft tools and white gel pen--please? Do you draw the white line first then use the paper piercing template and needle or do you pierce the paper first then draw the white line or is there a different way that is better?
Thanks!--Jeannie

deb_loves_stamping 08-02-2006 08:53 AM

I pierce the paper first using the paper piercing template, then I draw the white line with the gel pen. I think that's your best bet!

hedgiemama 08-07-2006 07:13 AM

Wondering if you can get away with just little white lines, without piercing? And, either way, how do you keep the lines going so evenly and straight? What sort of a grid do people use?

MSBetsyZ 08-07-2006 09:34 AM

You can just draw the lines...that's what's been done in tole painting forever and a day, lol. Piercing the holes really does add dimension to your project though.

There are lots of ways you can do even lines. Follow along the edge of a ruler. Use the side of perforated paper and follow the line of holes. Take one of your order forms and follow the holes at the top. SU has a little paper piercing kit that has a grid and mat so you can make different sized/spaced holes. Lots of ways to do it.

Me? I'm SUCH a crappy seamstress that I tend to eyeball it and then draw the lines in between the holes. To me, it gives it a more "primitive" look, lol...

hedgiemama 08-07-2006 10:07 AM

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like whatever you find that works for you. I can see the paper piercing would really be a neat effect.

hedgiemama 08-09-2006 08:37 AM

Is there such a thing as a White Sharpie? Or is the Signo Pen the best?

Joan B 08-10-2006 06:45 AM

Julie HRR (Ebersole) I believe either created this look or brought it to the stamping world. She recommends the white pen sold by SU, which I think is the signo gel pen.

cuccicoo1002 08-10-2006 07:06 AM

I also saw on another thread how they are now using the perforation tool on the new 'keychain cutter tool' rolled in white craft, and then rolled on your project. I should be receiving mine tomorrow, I just may have to give it a shot!

typically I use the mat pack and pierce the paper, and the white signo pen, or a marker if I'm going for a more subtle effect.

Ruth Gray 08-10-2006 07:18 AM

I, Too, use the SU white gel pen. Its the greatest. I also use plastic canvas for my holes. I found punching the holes, then drawing the lines filled up some of the holes. JMO.

jkincolorado 08-10-2006 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuccicoo1002
I also saw on another thread how they are now using the perforation tool on the new 'keychain cutter tool' rolled in white craft, and then rolled on your project.

I just tried this last week at a friends house -- it worked great!!!

nmslmomto3 08-10-2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemama
Is there such a thing as a White Sharpie? Or is the Signo Pen the best?

There is a white sharpie, but it is a oil paint marker, so does not work well for this. I have tried all different kinds of white gel pens and the Signo one is the best to use, as it sits on the paper and is not absorbed into the paper like other white gel pens seem to do.

kathynruss 08-10-2006 10:46 AM

No need for special puncturing tools or pens! I just use the sharp end of a coordinating marker and a small quilting ruler. That helps me keep my "stitches" 1/8" apart and 1/8" from the edge. Here's my blue card. Blue_Mosaic I also did a pink mosaic card. HTH :cool:

pixiepinkgirl 08-10-2006 10:59 AM

Thumbs down for me on preforation tool for this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkincolorado
I just tried this last week at a friends house -- it worked great!!!

Perhaps it is me (preforation tool challenged) but I tried this yesterday and didn't have a great result. IMHO the resulting line was too faint and not as dramatic as the piercing tool with the white gel pen. Plus I felt like it was messy to clean all the craft ink off the wheel/blade and handle. But hope you a technique you love and come post a picture back for us all to ooh and aww over :)

Here is a sample card that sweet vz5dh posted earlier today with it.

Faux Stitching

luv2stampinSD 08-10-2006 11:21 AM

forget the sharpie...use a seamstress wheel and roll it across your white stamp pad...lay a ruler down on your card and run the wheel along the ruler. Voile', a stitched look!!!

jwjazz 08-10-2006 07:43 PM

I punch the holes first and then use the ruler to draw lines straight across the holes with an SU! White Signo Gel Pen and it looks stitched.

wynona 08-11-2006 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Julie HRR (Ebersole) I believe either created this look or brought it to the stamping world. She recommends the white pen sold by SU, which I think is the signo gel pen.

Julie presented this last year at the Portland regionals and WAS SHE AWESOME!!!! What a hit and she is one of ours! :) Ok- we don't own you, Julie but you are the bomb!

teenstamper 08-11-2006 09:47 AM

Does anyone have a card with this effect? I never knew about faux stitching! I'd like to give it a looksie! :)

hedgiemama 08-11-2006 03:33 PM

This is very clever! Never thought of it. Will give it a try!

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2stampinSD
forget the sharpie...use a seamstress wheel and roll it across your white stamp pad...lay a ruler down on your card and run the wheel along the ruler. Voile', a stitched look!!!

hedgiemama 08-11-2006 03:34 PM

Go into Jeanne S's Gallery. She does a lot of stitched embellishing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teenstamper
Does anyone have a card with this effect? I never knew about faux stitching! I'd like to give it a looksie! :)

Cynthia Wilson 08-13-2006 06:23 AM

I love my signo pen. I tend to use it freehand. I quilt and love the look of it done by hand without guides. I have used the tool kit and punched holes but I connect two dots and leave a small space instead of drawing a line, this gives it that running stitch look. I agree with hegiemama, Jeanne S is a pro with this technique. Her work is to die for.

jenpeel 08-13-2006 10:34 AM

Besides just doing straight dashed lines, there are other cool faux stitches that you can try, too!! Try little X's, or zig zags, or even chain stitches. The white gel pen is also GREAT for doodling (one of my lateset favorite things to do!!!)

Salster 08-16-2006 12:47 PM

Great tips everyone!
I have the Mat Pack from SU! and it's great for doing uniform piercing. This year the embossing templates also have pierced elements. I recently used the Love It template to create faux stitched flowers and just "freestyled" in between kind like doodling...LOVE the Uniball Signo pen!

Click on this
- I dare you! ;)

debthestamper 08-16-2006 07:24 PM

Does anyone have a good idea for doing zig-zag stitching?
Debbie

stampmouse 08-16-2006 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debthestamper
Does anyone have a good idea for doing zig-zag stitching?
Debbie

do you mean on what types f cards? I saw a card on here once and dang it didn't save to my favorites it looked like a crazy quilt and they did the zig zaging overlaping where the different colors were. very cute

stampmouse 08-16-2006 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampmouse
do you mean on what types f cards? I saw a card on here once and dang it didn't save to my favorites it looked like a crazy quilt and they did the zig zaging overlaping where the different colors were. very cute

i think i found one similar at least but done with black ink

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...=crazy%20quilt

allnitescrapper 08-16-2006 11:53 PM

Such cool ideas... I have to go try now!
(hmpf... I'm never going to sleep... guess i need to live up to my name, though, right?!);)

janeliquore 08-17-2006 07:05 AM

I tried piercing first, but it takes too long - I'd rather get out the sewing machine! What works for me - I take a black stampin write marker and using the small end draw a line of dots about 1/8 to 1/4 inch apart (use a ruler to get them straight if you want to). Then go back with the white signo gel pen and connect the dots. You have to look many times to determine it's not been stitched by machine, and it's faster than piercing!

hedgiemama 08-17-2006 09:15 AM

Very cool idea to use the black dots, then the white. Will try that.

Salster 08-17-2006 01:38 PM

That does sound cool, great tip Jane!
I use a machine some too, esp with colored thread; but like the look of piercing even without the "stitches" there's just so many options!

debthestamper 08-17-2006 08:31 PM

What I meant about the zig- zag was does anyone have a good idea on how to make it straight and even? I cna't figure out how to punch the holes evenly. Does this make sense?
Debbie

Linda Main 08-17-2006 09:19 PM

Galaxy Markers have a milky way white pen, acid free and writes on dark and light paper.

I use the broad pint and is great. try it you'll like it

basketballmom 08-17-2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debthestamper
What I meant about the zig- zag was does anyone have a good idea on how to make it straight and even? I cna't figure out how to punch the holes evenly. Does this make sense?
Debbie

The easiest way I can think of is to use the template in the SU Mat Pack - there are three rows of evenly spaced holes, so you can zig and zag with them.