Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2007, 03:13 AM   #241  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayne and Cole's Mom
hmm... I live close to Halifax, where is this wonderful store I would love to go there myself?? Please enlighten me or should I say enable me?? lol
Morning Mandy! The store is called Carousel Rubber Stamps and the owner is Dejah. She is AMAZING! She went to the CHA in Anaheim this year and brought back so much news - AND ordered so much of it! I had the Essential Glue Pad months ago thanks to her. She worked with Tim and Penny Black and gets too meet all these people and tells us stories and techniques she learned ahhhhhh I just love her. Check out carouselrubberstamps.com she is having another Demo day this Sunday with prizes and techniques and free or low cost make and takes. SO FUN. Her mom and daughter work there too.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:40 AM   #242  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
BTW, wasn't my statement. It was a quote from a manufacturer who was interviewed.
Which manufacturer?

You see, I've gone online looking for any mention of the magazine (which I've never heard of) that you're quoting from and I can't find it anywhere. There's a kind of cheesy shopping website that has that name, but no mention of a paper copy of a magazine of that name on it. There aren't any back issues being sold on Ebay. Usually, even if you can't find a paper copy anywhere, a magazine will have a few mentions on websites that are searchable on google and you can pull something up that way, but...nothing.

So I'm wondering which manufacturer they mentioned because I'd love to email them and find out if the cost is really what they say it is...I'm just curious that way.

Otherwise, I wouldn't take an article in a magazine that probably wasn't what I'd call a true reflection of the realities in the rubber stamp industry that seriously, myself. Obviously, they must not have been widely distributed if no one has read them and mentioned them anywhere. Now, if you'd had an article from rubberstampmadness or the Rubber Stamper, that would have been different.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 05-18-2007, 04:41 AM   #243  
Stampin' Fool

cant wait to get my hands on those rhinestones

My SCS Gallery
My blog
: Pretty Pressings
Designer for Magnolia, Sweden, Lili of the Valley and Sir Stampalot
Old 05-18-2007, 04:51 AM   #244  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks! I can't wait to see ALL of the new paper. Christy
Don't worry about tomorrow, each day has enough trouble of it's own. (Matthew 6:34)
Old 05-18-2007, 05:11 AM   #245  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by gale
You're kidding right? It takes an insane amount of money to maintain a farm. Believe me I know first hand, and we only raise beef cattle. Dairies are even more. Price of cattle, vet bills, utilities, hired help, feed, hay, bedding, equipment (including repairs), taxes (yes, farmers DO pay taxes), insurance, etc etc etc...
LOL! I was kidding...doesn't come across on the computer. I was trying to make the point that even though things seem to be cheap, that people need to take into consideration that there are sooooo many other costs in the goods that people buy that they may not take into account when they see a price increase. My husbands family farms, so we know first hand how expensive (and how much hard work!!!) it takes to have cows! I envy EVERY farmer out there!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2007, 05:29 AM   #246  
Die Cut Diva

The manufacturer's name was Robert Jetter. He said he manufactured for several companies but did not name them. You clearly don't believe me so why belabor the point. The magazines have not been around for a couple of years. I have no idea where I got the ones I did as people give me lots of crafting things.

You know, that article is only an aside and if you focus there you are going to miss the points made. That point is that these stamps are EXPENSIVE. I don't think these new prices can be argued away. For some of us, it is more money than we want to spend on what we will be getting. I think it is absolutely fair for us to make our decisions based on what we want. But to be told that we cannot discuss it here is wrong.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:32 AM   #247  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yall I had a dream last night about the polkadot ribbon!

I'm way excited about the preview and, get this, I doubt I'll buy anything in it! (Well the paper, of course i'll buy that) See, I kinda look at it as a sampling of styles and stuff. Right? So I love the style of that HUGE flower with the petals and the style of those cute Zoo Animals, so I figure they might be expamples of more cute whimsicle (sp?) stuff to come. (Probably won't buy those because I don't need more cute animals or flowers, but then again, yall folks will start making cute stuff and my tune will probably change!)

Also apparently I'm excited about polkadot ribbon although I didn't know that until I slept last night.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:37 AM   #248  
Gallery Gazer

SU has great quality to their product and I love my demonstrator. She is very supportive and her service is impeccable. Just a reminder - have you seen the new MS line at Mike's? I support SU and their minute price increase.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #249  
Pearl-ExPert

Wowza!! I can't believe my thread about the preview catty would kick up so much...hmm...stuff!!

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Old 05-18-2007, 05:51 AM   #250  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I too am excited about the new catalog!! Can't wait to get the rinestones! Yeah Baby!!
Holly - SU Demo - scs #19930
My Gallery
My Blog
My Etsy Store
Old 05-18-2007, 05:55 AM   #251  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by laureljeanne
LMAO!!!!! Has anyone checked to see if this price increase has leaked over into the lightbulb market?! I mean, we can't use our super-expensive stamps if we can't afford lightbulbs for our craft lamps?!

Ha!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:55 AM   #252  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabush
Wowza!! I can't believe my thread about the preview catty would kick up so much...hmm...stuff!!

Nancy
Don't worry-- we won't blame you!
Old 05-18-2007, 06:14 AM   #253  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for sharing the preview!!! I am going to need a second job to support my habit.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:22 AM   #254  
Matboard Maniac

Wow! People are really worked up about the price increase! I was thinking about this as I'm busy potty training my daughter, changing poopy diapers on my son, and thinking I need something for me! Price increases suck, but we are lucky because of this website. If you are thinking about a stamp set you can look at how it has been used a million different ways and then know if its a good buy! I can't wait for the new catalog and some new stamps! Now I have to go b/c kids fighting over toys. Like I said......stamping is my calgon take me away thing!
Old 05-18-2007, 06:28 AM   #255  
Insane Embellisher

Originally Posted by PattiLynn
I know I am going to get flamed for this, but it really bothers me when people complain about SU's stamp prices. Have you looked at what the prices are at Michael's (not including the $1 bin ones), AC Moore, Archiver's etc for a single stamp? They are ridiculously overpriced. For the most part, the images are not deeply-etched like SU's. The best part about SU is that they come in sets. The sets may be priced higher, but you know that you are getting a quality product with items that are designed to go together. Like I said, flame away, but it's been 10 years since SU has increased prices across the board. I'm willing to pay a little more to get something that I know I am going to use over and over again.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn in St. Louis
No flaming here Patti. People will complain about anything and everything because it's human nature. It's like the price of gas. Complain all you want, it ain't gonna change anything. Perhaps it makes people feel better to whine, but just like gas, just because the prices go up doesn't mean I won't buy the stuff. Gas or stamps...they are both MUST HAVES for me!
AMEN to both of you, sistahs!
As said earlier, SU! has been absorbing price increases themselves for quite awhile now. Also, I'm sure they give their employees raises (which they definitely deserve), and that increase has to come from somewhere, doesn't it? Prices go up. That's life. SU! has done their very best to avoid increases, and it's just not possible anymore. And remember, aside from the few items that increased last year, they haven't done it in 10 years! Can you name anything else that you buy on a regular basis that hasn't increased in price in 10 years?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:39 AM   #256  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJStamper
So anyway, what I really wanted to say is this - Isn't anybody excited about all the new stuff in the preview catalog? Isn't anybody looking forward to the full catalog? Oh and how about seeing all the COOL creations in the gallery here on SCS? And when you get your catalog will you be thumbing through the glossy pages, checking out all the new stamp sets and cool accessories and project samples and making a wish list a mile long...
YES, YES!!! ME TOO, ME TOO! Not all the sets are to my liking, but there's something for everyone, that's for sure! I'll wait for the big catty before making a big purchase, but yes, I am excited to see the preview and even more excited to see what's coming in July! Can't wait! The new In-colors are gorgeous and the pattern papers shown are YUMMY! Yes, Yes, I'm excited!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:05 AM   #257  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

The manufacturer's name was Robert Jetter. He said he manufactured for several companies but did not name them. You clearly don't believe me so why belabor the point. The magazines have not been around for a couple of years. I have no idea where I got the ones I did as people give me lots of crafting things.

You know, that article is only an aside and if you focus there you are going to miss the points made. That point is that these stamps are EXPENSIVE. I don't think these new prices can be argued away. For some of us, it is more money than we want to spend on what we will be getting. I think it is absolutely fair for us to make our decisions based on what we want. But to be told that we cannot discuss it here is wrong.

These stamps are EXPENSIVE, in your opinion. In my opinion, they are NOT. I don't think anyone has told you that you cannot discuss your opinion here, otherwise the wonderful mods here would have stepped in. But we are also allowed to discuss ours. I love SU. I love wood-mounted. I have bought from both CTMH and TAC, and honestly, I don't really care for either. I would love for my SU stamps to take up less room, but the only way for that to happen is if I own fewer stamps. I HATE having to take my stamps off the block to use a different one. I don't want to spend $50 for blocks to use with my unmounted stamps. I bought a $22.95 stamp set from CTMH that probably would have cost me $27.95 from SU. The difference is the price I pay to enjoy the feel of the wood in my hand. If you don't like wood-mounted stamps, don't buy them. Just as I won't buy unmounted because I don't like them. But nobody complains that CTMH doesn't offer wood-mounted options for those of us that love the wood. I see no reason SU should be required to offer more than one option. JMHO.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #258  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by celestial_stamper
And if rubber is so cheap, why did it cost me $480 for 4 new tires? If you don't like wood mounted stamps, you don't have to buy them.
Your research should extend further than a 2 year old article, though. Talk to a manufacurer. Ask what it costs to have a dye made.
Because you didn't buy raw rubber -- it was processed, molded, stored in a warehouse, shipped to the auto supply shop, and then installed by a trained mechanic. For the lumber mentioned earlier, it's a similar situation. Makes my head spin sometimes to think about all the steps involved in getting a product to the consumer!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 05-18-2007, 07:13 AM   #259  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by belindaking
The big chains apparently aren't making enough to hire knowledgeable and helpful employees. I don't know how many times I've seen complained on here that the people in the stores have no idea where anything is or what someone's asking about. Maybe they should stop discounting so deeply so they can afford to educate their employees and pay them enough to care about what they're selling.
I agree Belinda. When I was first looking for glass etching cream, I had to go to 4 stores to find it! Joann's, Hobby Lobby (I hate their customer service!) and a Michael's, then to a second Michael's when the first was out of it. The first three places didn't even know what I was talking about!! I mean seriously, I cannot be the first person to ask about glass etching????
Old 05-18-2007, 07:33 AM   #260  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaC
Ok, this is a pet peeve of mine... someone coming in and reminding me that I DID love the preview until I saw all the complaining and whining over a few pennies!
*snort*
Old 05-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #261  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Well, ya know, if you're going to make statements such as you have about the cost of manufacturing of stamps, the rest of us would appreciate if you could back up what you say. I've also looked up Robert Jetter online and I'm finding plastic surgeons but no rubber stamp manufacturers. Find a credible source that everyone can look at before you make statements like that...that's all I'm asking for. Provide it and I'll be glad to read it and form an opinion, at which point I'll be happy to discuss the price of stamps based on the information you have provided me. But a vague reference to a magazine and a manufacturer who don't seem to have any record on the internet as having existed...I'd like something a little more meaty than that. Is that too much to ask?

Of course, the OP was wishing to discuss the stamps in the Fall/Winter preview brochure and which ones people liked or disliked. I doubt she really wanted it turned into a dead horse beating session about the price of stamps.

So getting back to the OP, I love Pick a Petal and Baroque Motifs and the punch box, love the new word sets and those will all be on my order come June 1st. As much as I like the other sets, I'm really going to try to be circumspect with my stampin' dollars...but I often fail dismally at that, so who knows?

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 05-18-2007, 07:42 AM   #262  
Stazon Splitcoast

Jan ... I *heart* you! Very well said ...
Old 05-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #263  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

I *love* the pick a petal!! I think it's so great!!!

And TJ- I am SUPER excited to see the new catty! All the previews of new goodies in this one are just making us drool! I have loved every piece of ribbon I have seen I there!! The new scalloped chipboard pieces that aren't listed make me curious to see what else is in the big book!!!
This is actually the first time I have said I HAVE to have a pre-order!!!

How many more days???

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Old 05-18-2007, 07:50 AM   #264  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Wow!

I bet this stamp didn't cost 50 cents to make:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/OHCLEstamp.html

The things you'll find when you go lookin' online...

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 05-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #265  
Pearl-ExPert

I can't wait to get the punch box! I will have to save for a couple months, but it looks well worth it! I can just see the gorgeous primas I'm going to be able to make with that, especially combined with the Mixed Bouquet punch and the flower punch.

As soon as possible, I will definately be getting Pick a Petal, both sentiment sets, Zoofari and Baroque Motifs. What does that leave? I think will wait on Year After Year. Oh yeah, I will get the new In Colors in pads and assorted paper, and a pack of the Prints DP, and lastly the wheel. Oh, and chipboard and brads. I can't wait till June 1!!! Oh, and 2 preorder hostess sets as well.

So looks like the only thing that won't be on my first order is square brads, Year After Year and the punch box. Would have just been easier to list that in the first place!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #266  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
Wow!

no- this one is clearly "FREE"!!!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Old 05-18-2007, 08:05 AM   #267  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by speanburg4
These stamps are EXPENSIVE, in your opinion. In my opinion, they are NOT. I don't think anyone has told you that you cannot discuss your opinion here, otherwise the wonderful mods here would have stepped in. But we are also allowed to discuss ours. I love SU. I love wood-mounted. I have bought from both CTMH and TAC, and honestly, I don't really care for either. I would love for my SU stamps to take up less room, but the only way for that to happen is if I own fewer stamps. I HATE having to take my stamps off the block to use a different one. I don't want to spend $50 for blocks to use with my unmounted stamps. I bought a $22.95 stamp set from CTMH that probably would have cost me $27.95 from SU. The difference is the price I pay to enjoy the feel of the wood in my hand. If you don't like wood-mounted stamps, don't buy them. Just as I won't buy unmounted because I don't like them. But nobody complains that CTMH doesn't offer wood-mounted options for those of us that love the wood. I see no reason SU should be required to offer more than one option. JMHO.
Very well said -- totally agree with ya!
Everyone has their own idea of what expensive is and what their stamping preference is. Personally, I think the new prices are fine and really much better than I was thinking they could be. Will I buy fewer stamps? Nope, I'll continue to buy what I love and add to my already ridiculous collection!

So yeah, I think discussing the new pricing IS beating a dead horse 'cause nothins' gonna change the pricing -- it's a fact of life that everything is costing more every day.

So to add positively to this thread I'll say that I'm pretty darned excited about the preview catty and can't wait for the big catalog! New colors of ink and cardstock to play with -- can't wait for that!! Love the new word sets and that they're smaller sets and more theme oriented -- I know I'll be getting those. And ribbon? Oh my gosh! Can NOT wait for the new ribbon!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #268  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'd like to thank the OP for posting the Fall/Winter Preview 2007. "thanks"

I liked most of what I saw.
And I have made my list of the things I want to get.
The Paper is Awesome!! and the Pick a petal is so fun looking.
Ribbon.....I haven't seen much of that. except for what is on the front page of the preview.

Everyones is going to have their own opinion on what they like and don't like!

I happen to demo for a company that sells Unmounted Rubber stamps.

And at one time they sold both Wood mounted and Unmounted stamps.

But discontinued them when they were not selling as much of wood mounted stamp as they were the unmounted stamps.

Mostly it was because of the cost between the two.
The wood mounted Stamps cost more...Only because it was more costly to make than the Unmounted ones.

It shoudn't matter What type of stamps you use and as long as you are happy with the ones that you purchase!

I buy both Unmounted and Wood mounted Rubber stamps!

Stamping is stamping as far as I am concern.

Bottom line is you are going to pay for and use what you like the most!!!

If you don't like something that is fine! You are entitled to your opinion

But let's not get upset about this issue...

Old 05-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #269  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss
Dittos on what's been said about the prices - my jaw dropped when I saw the new punch set in the tin box was $45+ - YIKES!!! I always felt terrible paying $39+ for the tag punch and designer label punch - the only way I could justify them was with hostess bennies.

I may be doing less SU if this is sign of where they are headed with pricing....

I would bet that it will be over $50 for us Canadians, which just makes it worse, and less bought.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #270  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar T. Grouch
I would bet that it will be over $50 for us Canadians, which just makes it worse, and less bought.
I read somewhere ... maybe even in this thread ... that it will be $62.95 Canadian!!!! I am in Manitoba ... so add shipping and taxes here and it comes to $78.00!!!! Yes, if you break it down piece by piece, it does work out to a small amount per item, but I dont think I can justify $78.00 on this punch box ... but that's just me ... so I can live without it and move on to something I want even more.

I cant wait to see the new catty and all the new stuff!
Old 05-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #271  
Matboard Maniac

I love love love the baroque motifss - great for scrapbooking. woohoo
Old 05-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #272  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJStamper
*snort*
*giggles* You KNOW how I feel about snorting, yet here you are doin' it again!
Old 05-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #273  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaC
*giggles* You KNOW how I feel about snorting, yet here you are doin' it again!
I'm a total PIA ... and proud of it . tee hee ...
Old 05-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #274  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
Wow!

Jan, this is so funny...ROTFLMAO!!! The things that you find! You are amazing!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #275  
Die Cut Diva

well... Crack is expensive too... I am just glad that I am hooked on rubber stamping and not that... then if you get caught with drugs you would need a lawyer... they take the kids away...lets not even talk about the price of REHAB... so really this addiction is SOOOO much LESS expensive. I don't need a lawyer and I get to keep my baby... I am so far ahead of the game! I am going to tell my Darling Hubby that since i saved him SOOO much on rehab at the Betty (only the best for me ya know) that I should be able to get WHATEVER I want out of the new catty!... Plus, If I was all high on crack... my rubber stampin quality would seriuosly suffer and i just can't have that... so see Ladies... Stampin up is practically free! I am a glass is half full kinda gal! Happy weekend!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #276  
Polyshrink Goddess

Does anyone have the new in color CS yet and could answer this question: Is the new "sky" color the same or very close to the retiring Cool Caribbean? Since monitor colors vary, it is difficult to distinguish over the internet. TIA.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #277  
Insane Embellisher

WOW~!!! I continue to be amazed at how one little post can get people so excited. I think we all have opinions and the purpose of this site is to share ideas and thoughts...just wish that it did not end up appearing more as an "attack" to people.

Personally, I think SU can raise their prices and do what they need to do. Customers will do what they want to do and we will see what happens. We KNOW prices have gone up on everything and we see some businesses that continue to grow and some that loose customers over it. I don't blame SU at all but I do think that the additional 5% on top of what some people thought were already higher prices AND all of the new online stamp companies may impact their sales.

I had previously ONLY purchased SU and over the past couple years have branched out to other companies. I assume I will do the same with this catalog
Old 05-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #278  
Pearl-ExPert

I actually think crack would be less expensive for you, Dawn!! Just kidding...you know I love ya! She is SU's best customer!

Nancy

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess4101
well... Crack is expensive too... I am just glad that I am hooked on rubber stamping and not that... then if you get caught with drugs you would need a lawyer... they take the kids away...lets not even talk about the price of REHAB... so really this addiction is SOOOO much LESS expensive. I don't need a lawyer and I get to keep my baby... I am so far ahead of the game! I am going to tell my Darling Hubby that since i saved him SOOO much on rehab at the Betty (only the best for me ya know) that I should be able to get WHATEVER I want out of the new catty!... Plus, If I was all high on crack... my rubber stampin quality would seriuosly suffer and i just can't have that... so see Ladies... Stampin up is practically free! I am a glass is half full kinda gal! Happy weekend!

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Old 05-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #279  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozarkstamper
Does anyone have the new in color CS yet and could answer this question: Is the new "sky" color the same or very close to the retiring Cool Caribbean? Since monitor colors vary, it is difficult to distinguish over the internet. TIA.
No, Soft Sky is not like Cool Caribbean. It is just like a pretty blue sky, while CC is a nice pale turquoise.

My itty bitty gallery
Old 05-18-2007, 04:31 PM   #280  
CBC Lady Violet

Many thanks to the poster who put up the preview link! I LOVE that new punch box, and will be buying it (although the thought of what the CDN price will be does make me shudder a bit!) ASAP. The other preview stuff is nice, although mostly not my style. However, I imagine my wish list will be bulging and my budget cringing after July 1st! Did anyone else notice that note under the Soft Sky designer papers that the papers would be available in their 16 most popular colours? I wonder which colours are those 16?