Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Fall/Winter Preview 2007 (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/fall-winter-preview-2007-a-249642/)

robynstamps 05-16-2007 05:29 PM

Really cute sets and colors. I think the new catty will have a few new ideas. Change is always good. :)

jm_donahoe 05-16-2007 05:39 PM

I just wanted to post this News Update from SU! that we got recently:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SU!
Upcoming Price Increase
May 15, 2007

Stampin' Up! has a proud history of holding the line on product prices. We have only raised prices to cover occasional specific increased costs of production for specific groups of products (last year's paper price increases are an example). We have also been able to reduce prices on supply-list items on two occasions. However, in over ten years, there has not been an across-the-board price increase.

The costs of all materials (rubber, paper, and wood, for instance), production (making the products), and delivery (transporting the products to our warehouse) have been continually increasing for some time. Stampin' Up! has absorbed most of these rising costs; but it's now time to incorporate some of these expenses in the cost of the product through a modest price increase, which will be, generally, about five percent.

This price increase will affect most catalog merchandise and supply items. However, the semiannual and mini catalog prices will not increase. We are able to keep those prices the same because of the lower page count of the semiannual catalogs.

So, to ease the transition to the new semiannual catalog, we will make the new Preview Brochure stamp sets available at a 20 percent discount (in addition to your instant income). This week, we will mail complimentary copies and post online our first Preview Brochure, highlighting exciting products from the upcoming new semiannual catalog. The products are shown in the brochure at full price, but demonstrators ordering any Preview Brochure stamp sets during the preorder period (June 1-June 30) will automatically receive the 20 percent off.

We are happy to provide a list of questions and answers about this price increase. If you need more information, we encourage you to call your upline or Demonstrator Support.

Thank you for everything you do for your customers and for Stampin' Up!

Erin K 05-16-2007 05:39 PM

The prices seemed ok to me. Course I don't want that whopping expensive petal one.

I will need all those new cardstock colors though. I wish they had a spot pack for inks for them. (Yea me and everyone else!)

I like those animals, I may have enough animals though.

Kimzkardz 05-16-2007 05:48 PM

To be honest, I'm really disappointed. Maybe I just lack imagination, but, nothing I saw really thrilled me. I'm a little bummed honestly. If this is the preview, some of the best of the best, I'm not sure I will get much out of the new catty. I will get the new In Colors though. They're pretty.

And I agree, even though it's only a 5% increase, and SU is more than entitled to that, when you look at the prices they really look much higher.

kiraj 05-16-2007 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimzkardz
If this is the preview, some of the best of the best, I'm not sure I will get much out of the new catty. I will get the new In Colors though. They're pretty.

Last year I certainly wasn't impressed with the preview the demos got, and didn't order a single thing! O maybe this isnt' the best of the best of the best afterall.

But I DO love the preview this year! Especially the word sets and Pick a Petal. So maybe you will end up liking stuff in the new catty better like I did last year.

JamieM 05-16-2007 05:56 PM

The prices are going up, no getting around that. But SU! has been absorbing the rising prices for a while now, and have gotten to the point where it is an understandable business move. When you think of the quality of the merchandise you're getting, paying a little extra for it is worth it, IMO. All the more reason to get your friends together, host a show, and earn FREEBIES!! :)

This is only a very small sampling of the many new sets we'll be seeing in the new catalog! There will be HUNDREDS of new sets in July! So just because you may not see something you like in the preview doesn't mean you won't like the new catalog. In the past, I've seen previews of upcoming catalogs I didn't care for, but I've always found something I loved in the new catalog!

I have to admit, I love this preview. This will be a very costly few months for me, LOL. The new In Colors are incredible, I can hardly draw myself away from "Baroque Motifs," and those Soft Sky designer papers are lovely. I wish I could wallpaper with them, LOL. I say, bring on the new!!!! ;D

olivia'smom 05-16-2007 06:14 PM

Wow I thought maybe these were the canadian prices. I certainly won't be making rash decisions about things I may only use a few times. I do however understand the reasoning and rationale behind the increase but I think I would have preferred to see increases more periodically than the 5% all at this time. Fortunately there wasn't anything I just have to have in the preview. WHEW!

RedInLove 05-16-2007 06:33 PM

I wasn't going to get the In Colors because I thought they were a one-time thing. But now they're growing on me, and I just might have to get them! I only have Cranberry Crisp so far, used them for Christmas.

deb_loves_stamping 05-16-2007 06:36 PM

I'm not looking forward to seeing the Canadian prices, that's for sure! I do like the preview though and can hardly wait for the new catalogue.

Kimzkardz 05-16-2007 06:48 PM

Quick question..on the front cover there's a big flower on the congratulations card. Am I missing something? Where is that big flower from? Is it in preview?

willosmama 05-16-2007 06:52 PM

That's the pick a petal set.

kiraj 05-16-2007 06:53 PM

Quote:

Quick question..on the front cover there's a big flower on the congratulations card. Am I missing something? Where is that big flower from? Is it in preview?

They made a mistake in the preview. Pick a Petal is actually supposed to be a set of 11, not 10. That double line outline petal will also be included in the set, and it will remain $27.95. SU will be releasing an updated picture of the set.

hillmangirl 05-16-2007 06:54 PM

The big flower on the front is made with the Pick A Petal set on page 6. The stamp for the petals is actually missing from the set in the preview brochure, but it IS in the set--it is a set of 11, not 10. (this is all per Stampin' Up!'s Demo. support).
-Rachel

luvtostampstampstamp 05-16-2007 06:58 PM

Soft sky looks similar to Cool Carb....anyone know how close it is? I just ordered some Cool Carb. today!!! And the soft sky DP is so awesome. I will have to get Soft sky if it doesn't match close enough, LOL!

chrisations.ink 05-16-2007 07:01 PM

Liked the pick a petal set. Some of the in colors are pretty as well. I realize prices need to be increased. We'll become wiser shoppers.

Dione 05-16-2007 07:08 PM

Well in Canada last year the prices actually went down...can't remember by how much. So I guess we will just be paying the same as we were before!

As for the punch box...I believe we pay about 55 dollars...maybe now 60?

deb_loves_stamping 05-16-2007 07:12 PM

Dione, you are right about the prices in Canada ... yup, probably $60 for that punch box and I just CANNOT justify spending that much money on it ... plus shipping and taxes on top of that ... yikes.

busymamma 05-16-2007 07:22 PM

I like the new colors and the petal set is a must have.

Disneywed 05-16-2007 07:47 PM

I am liking these In Color colors MUCH better than last year's.

Katie018075 05-16-2007 08:07 PM

Too rich for my blood...yes, as others have said we'll have to become wiser when making purchases now! Not totally thrilled, but we'll see...I'm not sure SU has made the best decision-yes, I realize that prices go up, but when the rest of the stamp market prices seem to be going down with all the unmounted, etc. ...I wonder if people will see the benefits of SU or not?

belindaking 05-16-2007 08:40 PM

Quote:

The three-line doodle petal was mistakenly left out of the brochure-- it belongs to the Pick a Petal set on page 6. That makes Pick a Petal a set of 11. The price is correct on that set. :)

Did you notice... the chipboard assortment has petals that are *just the right size* for the Pick a Petal set??? I'm so excited about this set and the coordinating chipboard!

And the bling brads, and the new In Colors, and the new word sets, and Zoofari, and the glimpses of new ribbon, and the new prints paper, and the cute punch box... I guess it's easy to see why *I* became a demo! :lol:

serialpurrs 05-16-2007 09:24 PM

I'm really on the fence about this one.

Choc0holic 05-16-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvtostampstampstamp
Soft sky looks similar to Cool Carib....anyone know how close it is? I just ordered some Cool Carib. today!!! And the soft sky DP is so awesome. I will have to get Soft sky if it doesn't match close enough, LOL!

My question exactly...anyone out there know? As far as the preview...I'm actually glad that nothing jumped out at me. The pick a petal is cute...but I already have a Technique Tuesday set that is very similar. I think my favorite thing is actually Baroque Motifs...probably because of the large swirl image.

2Ps Mama 05-16-2007 10:50 PM

Yay! Thank you for posting this...the new in colors are GORGEOUS!

pootle 05-17-2007 12:30 AM

I do like Zoofari but don't think I'd get any use out of it (no children in my life at this time). I do like the Hugs & Wishes sentiments set though.

lisavengesta 05-17-2007 01:26 AM

okay, i'm sad that i seem to be the only one who still can't see it *sigh*

Lynn in St. Louis 05-17-2007 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisavengesta
okay, i'm sad that i seem to be the only one who still can't see it *sigh*

The access everyone is talking about is available for viewing only on the Demo Website, but PM me...I may be able to help you! :mrgreen:

craftygirl04 05-17-2007 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dione
Well in Canada last year the prices actually went down...can't remember by how much. So I guess we will just be paying the same as we were before!

As for the punch box...I believe we pay about 55 dollars...maybe now 60?

Perhaps with the increase in the Canadian dollar our prices will be a little more in line with the American prices. That would be a lovely surprise, since our prices were way out of wack with the rate of exchange in the last catalogue.

lgulotta 05-17-2007 04:06 AM

Though I can understand completely the need for the price increase, and appreciate how SU held prices the same for so many years, it is a shock to see in print a stamp set of 8 that is over $30. Yes, I know that is less than $4 per stamp, but it still seems like a LOT.

thompson_am 05-17-2007 04:08 AM

Canadian prices

Wouldn't it be nice if the prices in the the new catalog reflected the rate of exchange? I heard on the radio yesterday that some analysts are predicting the Cdn dollar will be at par with the Amer. dollar by the end of the year!

Amber

canben 05-17-2007 04:27 AM

Personally, I found a LOT more in the preview brochure than I did in the Spring mini!

PattiLynn 05-17-2007 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgulotta
Though I can understand completely the need for the price increase, and appreciate how SU held prices the same for so many years, it is a shock to see in print a stamp set of 8 that is over $30. Yes, I know that is less than $4 per stamp, but it still seems like a LOT.

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but it really bothers me when people complain about SU's stamp prices. Have you looked at what the prices are at Michael's (not including the $1 bin ones), AC Moore, Archiver's etc for a single stamp? They are ridiculously overpriced. For the most part, the images are not deeply-etched like SU's. The best part about SU is that they come in sets. The sets may be priced higher, but you know that you are getting a quality product with items that are designed to go together. Like I said, flame away, but it's been 10 years since SU has increased prices across the board. I'm willing to pay a little more to get something that I know I am going to use over and over again.

greetingsbydebra 05-17-2007 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olivia'smom
Wow I thought maybe these were the canadian prices.

That's exactly what I first thought! At first I was taken aback with the new prices, but when I think about it rationally the prices of most things are in line with what's available at my LSS. For instance, SU cardstock is now $.23 per sheet. Prism (love, love, love it) cardstock is $.28 per sheet.

The only thing I really have trouble with is the price of stamps. TAC spoils us with low-cost unmounted sets. Most are $15.95 and less. Even when I love an SU set I just *can't* justify the price.

Lynn in St. Louis 05-17-2007 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattiLynn
I know I am going to get flamed for this, but it really bothers me when people complain about SU's stamp prices. Have you looked at what the prices are at Michael's (not including the $1 bin ones), AC Moore, Archiver's etc for a single stamp? They are ridiculously overpriced. For the most part, the images are not deeply-etched like SU's. The best part about SU is that they come in sets. The sets may be priced higher, but you know that you are getting a quality product with items that are designed to go together. Like I said, flame away, but it's been 10 years since SU has increased prices across the board. I'm willing to pay a little more to get something that I know I am going to use over and over again.

No flaming here Patti. People will complain about anything and everything because it's human nature. It's like the price of gas. Complain all you want, it ain't gonna change anything. Perhaps it makes people feel better to whine, but just like gas, just because the prices go up doesn't mean I won't buy the stuff. Gas or stamps...they are both MUST HAVES for me!

crazysuziestamper 05-17-2007 05:37 AM

The punch box is great and peaked my interest but too rich for my blood. On a lighter note, did anyone notice the yummy polka dot ribbon on the front of brochure??

Inkalicious 05-17-2007 05:40 AM

I can 'justify' the price cuz I like the images of SU!! Just like I justify Starbucks over Folgers!!!!!

Suzy_H 05-17-2007 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattiLynn

There is one big difference between SU and Michael's and other stores - a middle man. SU is direct. They do not pay for brick and mortar stores and all that entails, employees to sell (sellers work on commission alone, right?). They really have no marketing - you even have to pay for the right to look at the items to buy them in a catalog. I would love to know the markup on these stamps.

troopersma 05-17-2007 05:43 AM

Good news is I didn't see anything I couldn't live without. I'm not much of a floral person so most of the sets did nothing for me. But I'm sure when the full catty comes out I'll find a few. ;-)

Jane

housefan 05-17-2007 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgulotta

I don't look at it as price per stamp. It is the rare set indeed where if the stamps had all been individually priced in a store, that I would have bought every stamp in that set. In fact, I have many a set where half the stamps in the set have never been used.So if I only like 2 in that set, they are in a sense $15 apiece for me. Wait--even more add shipping and handling and tax on that whole order. I can order individual stamps, pay no tax online, get free shipping---see what I mean?

Inkalicious 05-17-2007 05:46 AM

no