Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2005, 10:45 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long do you spend on each scrapbook page?

I am just curious how long you all take per scrapbook page. I try to keep mine simple but I am still soooooo far behind. Do those of you who take hours on a page plan on scrapbooking all your pictures or do you only do a select few. I'm even considering doing the BARE basics until I get caught up and then trying to be creative again.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 10:59 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm so bad when it comes to this. I take hours to decide what to do with a page. Once I have the idea I can get the page don pretty quickly. It's the ideas that take so long. My scapping buddies have tried to talk me out of my design focus but I just can't do the "quick" pages in order to just get caught up. I guess I'm what they would call "anal" about it. I want each page to be special. I have friends who can whip out 5-6 pages in2-3 hours. (cropping,designing,etc.) Ijust can't do it. I use to be one who wouldn't even trim my pics till I knew exactly what i was doing with them. I have gotten through that but I can't say I'm much better off than I was. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 11:05 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I think I never will be caught up! It will be an on- going process and that's okay. It gives me something to do to relax and be creative with a purpose! I am not in a rush. It seems to take me 1 hr to 45 min on a double page layout with about 1-2 pictures on average per side. For me- I have a simple system and use pre-cut mats. I cut ahead of time (bulk). I stamp my letters ahead of time also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 11:27 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

It depends. I find that if I'm at a crop at someone else's house, it takes me longer (even though I've somewhat planned things in advance). I was at a crop the other night and it took me almost 2 hours to complete a 2 page layout. It definitely doesn't take me as long when I'm in my own space when I know I have all of my supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 11:31 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

My planning time can vary, but the actual work of putting it together always seems to take an hour. I usually try to do the planning and the actual work at different times, my brain just doesn't focus long enough to do both together :oops: I usually pick out my colors and accessories the night before and then get to work the next afternoon. If I try to go for more than 2 hours I make mistakes. For me it's the planning and decision making that are the most difficult.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 12:08 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Since I posted this a little bit ago I've done 4 scrapbook pages!! I used the Simply Scrappin' Kits. I love those. Sometimes I just want to stamp a little on the page. These were very basic pages!!

Any advice from anyone for quick pages?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 03:16 PM   #7  
Hot Mess

Depends on what the pics are. SOmetimes, things come together REALLY fast, otherwise, I spend an hour or 2 on one page!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 03:24 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've spent an entire night working on one page and on other nights, I've been able to complete an entire 8 1/2 x 11 album.

Here's a tip to complete an album (or at least a few pages) extremely quickly. Instead of working on each page individually, think of the album as a whole and use 2 or 3 design templates and repeat them throughout or pick a theme and repeat it.

I did this for some photos of my sister's wedding and was able to complete 6 pages in about 20 minutes. I versamarked snowflakes on each page, stamped one or 2 in white and used ivory ribbon and baroque burgundy accents/mats throughout. The pages coordinated with each other, but each was unique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 03:39 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimilou
I take hours to decide what to do with a page. Once I have the idea I can get the page don pretty quickly. It's the ideas that take so long... but I just can't do the "quick" pages in order to just get caught up. I guess I'm what they would call "anal" about it. I want each page to be special.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I could have typed this response! I am EXACTLY the same way. I refuse to use kits (unless I just use a piece here and piece there on various layouts; but NEVER an entire kit on a page or layout!). Just my personal preference. I work entirely too hard sometimes on making each page special and unique.

Funny: My neighbor said to me, "Once you get better at it, you'll get faster." (Insult or compliment???) - Her "style" is entirely opposite of mine. I never use cut-outs, stickers, etc. Just my preference.

All of my albums display how anal I really am, but my kids (or at least their wives!) will totally appreciate it someday. :lol: I hope! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

I am a year behind in my scrapbooking, so right now I am playing catch up. I try not to spend more than an hour on a page even when I am caught up because I just don't have that much time. I found an awesome book that is full of quick layouts, but the don't take much time. The layouts are easy, but they are full of embellishments, stamping etc. So they are better than just the basics. Since I found this book, I have knocking out pages (and ones that I love) pretty quickly.
The book is by Memory Makers and it is titled
Quick & Easy Scrapbook Pages: 100 Scrapbook Pages You Can Make in One Hour or Less

I purchased it on Amazon for fairly cheap.
mel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 03:45 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Default 12 X 12 PAGES

I like to make the pages more than placing the photos. So what I do is make pages ahead of time according to the season or ocassion coming up or what has just passed. Then I leave the pages set aside until I have photos for them. I make pages a lot quicker if the photo is not there. I have some of these in my gallery. I need to update my gallery!!!!!!!!!! :oops: [/img]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 03:49 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

I'll have to get a layout book like that! I don't have time in my life to take an hour for each page. I have 4 children under 6 years of age. My life is busy. I think they will just be happy when they grow up that I DID anything for them. I do have some pictures in an album from when I was growing up and I've loved looking in it. There isn't anything in it but the pictures. Looks like my kids will have one step up from that. As soon as I get caught up I will start taking more time. Here is my dream.............................. develop one event or week and scrapbook it right away. I used to do that when I had my first child. I couldn't wait to get them back from Wal-Mart. I know, I know... but a girl can dream can't she???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 04:18 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I agree... who DOES have time to spend an hour on each page? I spend an average of 3 hours per page (sometimes a two-page spread if I'm lucky).

BUT...

We're all busy... I'm a single mom with 2 kids who are with me 24/7. I work full time and do all of the things "normal" moms do. To me it's not about quantity; it's about quality. I don't scrapbook EVERY photo. I am making archival books for them to enjoy when they get older - I'm not trying to show them how much I could do with the little bit of time I did dedicate to my hobby and their photos.

I'm not in this to impress anyone, but rather to provide them with memories. I know they'll be impressed with my few quality pages vs. some junk I threw together just to get them done. (NO... not saying "quicky" pages are junk... just stating my personal preference again.)

BTW... I am 12 years behind with my scrapbooking, but my intent is NOT to book each photo, so what does that really mean when people say that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 04:20 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am so glad it just isn't me. I've been working on my nieces SB (8.5x11) for her grad this may. It takes me 1-2 hrs for a 2 page spread. I set a goal to do 10 pages today, and I did 10. Thank goodness I'm on spring break this week, because I need to complete this project. Once this is done, I have 4 other nieces & nephews books to work on.

I emailed a page to my sister to check the names of the people in the photo, and she said "all that work for 2 pictures!". I average about 2 pictures per page, no wonder I'm on album #3 of her life photos. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 04:28 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default 12 X 12 PAGES

I have 3 kids..9, 5, 4. I work full-time. I scrap when they go to bed at 8p.m. I make a page couple times a week. I really enjoy this, and try making time for "MOMMY". 4 kids woweeee! maybe as they get older you'll find more time. For now, just getting their picture on film is a great achievement! Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 04:43 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

I use to have great ideas of what I wanted on a page, then I'd get to a crop and my mind would go blank. I'd sit and sit and sit.....now, I have a ton of idea books(mostly CM)....when I'm hanging outside watching the kids, I take my pics out and earmark the pages of the ideas that I like........I modify it to fit my colors add a few stamps and viola......I'm almost up to Thanksgiving of this year....but wait, I think I have 4 more rolls sitting on the counter, not to mention the digetal and the etc..........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Wow, thanks for the advice everyone. I was not implying that I am the only busy one. I am just saying that right now I AM too busy to take that long on a page. Thank goodness for stamping, though!! Before I stamped I averaged 1 page per night and that was a 4-6 hour night. I really have cut that time down. I think if I make a goal to do a certain number per week I will be surprized at how many I get done.

It's so fun to share what we all do. By no means is this meant to put down anyone. I really like the quick pages and most of my customers do, too, but I am not implying that anyone who does extravagent pages is doing something wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Each of my two page spreads take at least 2 to 3 hours to do and I only do simple pages because I have lots of scrapbooks to do - seems like I will never get them all done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2005, 05:30 PM   #19  

I am so glad that I am not the only one who is 'anal' about their pages!

On average, it takes me about 1-2 hours per page, because I don't use kits or premades. I tend to go with apelnar--I don't scrap every picture, only the very best. The books I do are an overview of life, not a detailed biography .

My best friend (a CM consultant) used to give me a hard time about how perfectionistic I was (once did 3 pages in an 8 hour crop :oops: ), but now my daughters love to get their books out to show people...
Reply With Quote Likes