Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-22-2015, 11:18 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Embossing over a die question

I need some clarification on this technique. I think it's probably really simple and most of your already know how to do this.

I read the instructions from this web site. Apricot Bubbles / Ex_Libris: Embossing in cutting dies

You cut the die first. Then lay the die down with the paper still in it on top of an embossing folder. Lay a shim over it and run it through the machine with both the die and embossing folder.

I tried this a number of times/ways. Laying that die with paper - die cut side up - on top of the open embossing folder seems logical. But laying a silicone mat/shim on top of that, then a plate, and run it through is where I get hung up. The die cuts through my rubber shim. I tried it again using cardboard, and it worked (faintly) and it cut through the cardboard (which is what it is for).

What am I doing wrong. How do you do this?

Thanks for any experience or guidance you can pass on.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 04:15 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 431 Likes on 332 Posts

Post #15 in THIS THREAD is what I have followed successfully with a Big Shot; I certainly didn't have any trouble with it cutting into my tan mat. But it sounds like exactly the same as what you are doing. What type of shim are you using - I was using the Spellbinders tan one.
There are similar instructions in post #2, as well, for the Cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you for finding this. I had the die facing correctly, just that the die cut through my mat. My die cut paper was really thin, so the die edge is much more pronounced and cut right into the tan mat. Maybe I put too much of a stack on it when I ran it through.

I have a tendency to cut through that tan mat all the time. I think I will try some other items like a thick wash cloth or dish towel and see if I can get enough of an emboss off of those. I can go through those mats...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I emboss my paper first, then I use the die cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #5  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Leslie, does that not partially flatten out the embossing for you? I've just tried it on a scrap I had of embossed card, and after die-cutting it and then putting it through with the tan mat to emboss the border, I can still see the original embossing round the border, and the main shape - you can still see the embossing clearly but it's much flatter.

I'm just surprised that Janet has a problem with her tan mat. I still have one that's over 6 years old - the only reason I ever bought another one was that I bought a big one so that I could have an embossing mat the same size as the actual cutting pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Ok i we t to the site you listed in the original question. Nowhere does it say to use your rubber tan mat. You use only one side of embossing folder --dide you want to emboss or deboss. This fits folder open between your acrylic pads. Folder open is the key.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 223 Likes on 128 Posts

I think I'm missing something. I just cut out my die cuts and then put them in the embossing folder. Why would you run the die through again, with the cut paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Leslie, does that not partially flatten out the embossing for you? I've just tried it on a scrap I had of embossed card, and after die-cutting it and then putting it through with the tan mat to emboss the border, I can still see the original embossing round the border, and the main shape - you can still see the embossing clearly but it's much flatter.

I'm just surprised that Janet has a problem with her tan mat. I still have one that's over 6 years old - the only reason I ever bought another one was that I bought a big one so that I could have an embossing mat the same size as the actual cutting pads.
You don't need to use a mat, I don't understand why there is this step.

First I pick my embossing folder, the paper then die.

I put the paper in embossing folder and emboss. Then I put the paper down in my cuttlebug, die on top of embossed paper, using the correct plates for die cutting. Run it through and take die off of paper.

This card I just made for a swap, I saved the square pieces as I have 7 of them. I plan to use these embossed cut outs on other cards.
Whipper Snapper Swap 2015-ls by lesliespringer - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Here are a couple other cards that I used embossed die shapes. Again, I did not use a matt to emboss. All these shapes came out fine and not pressed out.
Fall cards1-ls2014 by lesliespringer - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

easter#1-ls2015 by lesliespringer - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

HS Grad Card-ls-2015 by lesliespringer - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Hope this helps you out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, I just looked at the link above. It was posted back in 2012. I don't know why this person wants to emboss with the die in the folder. I would think the die would end up a little wonky after that. I think this info is making embossed die cutting a little more complicated than what it really is. Just my opinion.

It is so much easier to just emboss paper then die cut, or die cut shape first then pop it in the embossing folder. Which ever you prefer, I have done both, and no matt necessary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh also, to die cut an shape and to get the embossed edge, I do this all at one time. I cut out a square piece of cardboard from cereal box and add it on top of my sandwich.

One crank through and paper is embossed! Works ever time for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I ran some die cut leaves through a woodgrain embossing folder and it worked great. I guess if you want that frame around it, that's the point of this technique? But she puts a cutting plate on top and calls it an "embossing plate" so that's confusing... and I thought I read somewhere that the tan mat would get cut marks in it during use…
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

The look that this process is trying to achieve is the embossed flower image surrounded by the die cut embossed image around the edge.

If you emboss after die cutting, then the embossing won't be framed by the die. If you die cut after embossing, you will still see the previous embossing on the edge of the die cuts. KWIM?

I just thought it was wonderful to have an embossed image inside the die frame. They made it sound so easy so I could not figure out why I wasn't getting there without ruining my tan mat. I looked at her pictures, and I didn't see any tan mat either.

Now I know that I would need to run this through with 2 pieces of cardboard shim in order to get the embossing from the folder while still in the die. But having that die in there... won't that leave a mark on the inside of the embossing folder?

OK. Is this even a good idea?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
I ran some die cut leaves through a woodgrain embossing folder and it worked great. I guess if you want that frame around it, that's the point of this technique? But she puts a cutting plate on top and calls it an "embossing plate" so that's confusing... and I thought I read somewhere that the tan mat would get cut marks in it during use…

I think the border must be it. I was wondering why too, but the very first picture in her post I think shows the border she got. She doesn't get a mark on the embossing folder because she leaves it open, with the cutting side of the die up... so you it is against the "shim" she has on top.

I also noticed that although she (or the translator anyway) calls it a sylicone shim, what she is using in the picture does not seem to be a rubber mat, but instead it looks like just a clear plastic shim to me. I would try it without the rubber mat, just with the cutting plate on top or just with a paper or cardboard shim.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room

Last edited by jkstampin; 10-23-2015 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstampinView Post
I think the border must be it. I was wondering why too, but the very first picture in her post I think shows the border she got. She doesn't get a mark on the embossing folder because she leaves it open, with the cutting side of the die up... so you it is against the "shim" she has on top.

I also noticed that although she (or the translator anyway) calls it a sylicone shim, what she is using in the picture does not seem to be a rubber mat, but instead it looks like just a clear plastic shim to me. I would try it without the rubber mat, just with the cutting plate on top or just with a paper or cardboard shim.
I did that. And the embossing from the folder underneath was so faint, it wasn't worth it. I needed to put at least 1 piece of heavy cardboard between the paper and top plate to get some image of the embossing folder under it. I never got a great embossing of it either without cutting up the tan mat.

Thank you everyone for mentally working this issue over. I appreciate the collective brain power on this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
I did that. And the embossing from the folder underneath was so faint, it wasn't worth it. I needed to put at least 1 piece of heavy cardboard between the paper and top plate to get some image of the embossing folder under it.
I think I would be tempted to just use a diffuser and be done with it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

diffuser? Do elaborate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

What is a diffuser?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
diffuser? Do elaborate.
Here's a pretty good video on them there are a lot of demo vids on You Tube:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Here's a pretty good video on them there are a lot of demo vids on You Tube:

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for this link. Good video. My mind is racing with all the ways I could create my own diffusers for future use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 12:44 AM   #21  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

No, no, don't try a die with your your embossing folder closed!!

Use the Bears by Cook22 I did this exactly as described in the thread I linked. Cut the square/banner. Leave in die, place on open folder, cutting edge up. Tan mat, then emboss.
Come to think of it, I possibly used my Wizard, because I normally use it for embossing and the BS for cutting, but that's just to save changing sandwiches all the time. I'll have to experiment again when I am upstairs! Because if I used the Wizard, I don't recall if it was the blue embossing plate or a regular cutting one that I used on top.
Will be back later with an update....

Last edited by Cook22; 10-24-2015 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 05:13 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Received 223 Likes on 128 Posts

The diffusers work pretty well. Thank you for the video, though. I'm going to watch it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #23  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

OK, so maybe I didn't choose the best embossing folder to play with - there was slight cracking on a couple of lines. I definitely didn't have that with the Swiss Dots ef, but I'm not going to start all over again.You can see that the tan mat is very slightly marked, but not cut into at all.
In the Wizard I used a cutting plate, magnetic spacer mat, embossing folder, tan mat and blue embossing plate.
In the Big Shot I have the old multi-platform, so I used the base and Tab 1, plate, embossing folder, tan mat, plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Embossing over a die question-deboss1.jpg   Embossing over a die question-deboss2.jpg   Embossing over a die question-emboss.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 07:16 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 363 Likes on 222 Posts

oh wow the video is so cool... ( I bought those diffusers when they first came out... and have never played with them. ever)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

OK, so maybe I didn't choose the best embossing folder to play with - there was slight cracking on a couple of lines. I definitely didn't have that with the Swiss Dots ef, but I'm not going to start all over again.You can see that the tan mat is very slightly marked, but not cut into at all.
In the Wizard I used a cutting plate, magnetic spacer mat, embossing folder, tan mat and blue embossing plate.
In the Big Shot I have the old multi-platform, so I used the base and Tab 1, plate, embossing folder, tan mat, plate.
Have you tried what I listed above?

emboss paper first the run through with die, to get an embossed edge add a piece of cereal box cardboard of a couple pieces of paper on top of your sandwich as you die cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Also this was mentioned in this thread last night.

In step 3 link states silicone shim, not embossing matt.

from link.
3) put a silicone shim and an embossing plate on top - leave the embossing folder OPEN!

I think this is what is confusing people. Link uses a shim not a embossing matt.

So therefore my shim is to use a piece of cereal cardboard on top of sandwich to get the edge embossed.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #27  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

It's not me having problems, Leslie. I was just trying to figure out how Janet's tan mat was getting cut so badly. After four runs through the machines, mine has more marks on it from the white wax crayon I'd previously used on that ef than from the heart die!
I'd never seen that blog before, I had just bookmarked, way back whenever I first tried it, the thread here that I gave a link to, where she does specify a tan embossing mat.

I very rarely go for even the embossed edge look myself, never mind all-over embossing with an edge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

It's not me having problems, Leslie. I was just trying to figure out how Janet's tan mat was getting cut so badly. After four runs through the machines, mine has more marks on it from the white wax crayon I'd previously used on that ef than from the heart die!
I'd never seen that blog before, I had just bookmarked, way back whenever I first tried it, the thread here that I gave a link to, where she does specify a tan embossing mat.

I very rarely go for even the embossed edge look myself, never mind all-over embossing with an edge.
Oh, OK. Was trying to help out, but since you don't need help, how about lets do lunch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #29  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Scratch that Tab 1, it looks as if I didn't actually use it. Or maybe I used it and forgot to use one of the cutting plates. Sorry Just the plain multi-purpose platform seems to be fine.

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #30  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Oh, OK. Was trying to help out, but since you don't need help, how about lets do lunch
Afternoon coffee and you're on , it's coming up to 5 pm here.
And I now have the most beautiful gold embossed heart to do something with, since I thought I should try with a different ef.
And the bonus of experimenting is that it has probably cemented in my mind that you need to use the opposite side of the folder to the one you (I) think I should be using .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, just read that link post #15, yep she used an embossing matt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Afternoon coffee and you're on , it's coming up to 5 pm here.
And I now have the most beautiful gold embossed heart to do something with, since I thought I should try with a different ef.

Well, it is 11 AM here, I haven't had anything to eat yet, but coffee is done. Ready to pour a cup or two.

Have fun with your gold embossed heart. My ds just came up to me and ask if I was going out today. Said nope, going downstairs to play. Have to start some Thanksgiving cards. No ideas yet just going to play around and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

I think I'm running this thing through with the tan mat with way too much pressure and that's why my mat is turned into Swiss cheese. I need to dial it back.

Thank you everyone for the solution here. I do love the heart and that is exactly the effect I was looking for.

Janet
Reply With Quote Likes