Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Embossing folder (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/embossing-folder-594169/)

suenan 11-18-2014 10:30 AM

Embossing folder

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't locate it. I would like to omit an area when using an embossing folder. Is there any way to use the folder and leave out part of the embossing? Thanks!

k dunbrook 11-18-2014 10:41 AM

hi Sue,
There are plates that Tim Holtz sells to leave areas plain. I think you can make your own by glueing together heavy sheets of cardboard
BUT:
Do what I do......place your paper into an embossing folder and hit it with a rubber mallet. You will achieve random embossing on your card. I do it all the time.
You can see it here:

IC460, Fall Inspired by k dunbrook - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

CAS299, Merry and Bright by k dunbrook - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

suenan 11-18-2014 11:16 AM

Wow, Karen, those cards are beautiful. And what a cool idea - I never would have thought of that!

Angelnorth 11-18-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrook (Post 20813989)
I think you can make your own by glueing together heavy sheets of cardboard

Yes you can - there's a tutorial here to get you going if you want to give that a try.

The things you can buy are usually called "embossing diffusers" but they're not cheap and since it's easy to DIY, you could spend your pennies on something else :)

Love your random effects Karen, that looks great!

RubberLady603 11-18-2014 01:32 PM

Oh my Karen!! I think you have just breathed life into some of my neglected folders. Your cards are fabulous and I love that random look!

UnderstandBlue 11-18-2014 01:44 PM

I've made my own and they are so fun because you can use the dies you own to create your diffusers.

6 layers of the chipboard that comes in Stampin' Up! DSP glued together is perfection!

Mzteaze 11-18-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

hi Sue,
There are plates that Tim Holtz sells to leave areas plain. I think you can make your own by glueing together heavy sheets of cardboard
BUT:
Do what I do......place your paper into an embossing folder and hit it with a rubber mallet. You will achieve random embossing on your card. I do it all the time.
You can see it here:

IC460, Fall Inspired by k dunbrook - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

CAS299, Merry and Bright by k dunbrook - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Just beautiful work. Do you break down the technique of how to replicate the look on your blog?

suenan 11-18-2014 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone. I've learned two new things. I'm going to try making my own diffusers and also the random rubber-mallet trick!

bklyngal62 11-18-2014 03:32 PM

Looks like a rubber mallet is my next purchase. Thanks for the tip Karen.

Catrick 11-18-2014 05:50 PM

I would like to know more about the rubber mallet. What size is the mallet? Do you just put your paper inside the folder...place on the floor and wack away?

k dunbrook 11-19-2014 02:39 AM

Honestly, it doesn't get easier then it sounds. Just place your cardstock into an embossing folder. Figure out where you want the embossing to be and where you want open space then close the top of the folder so the paper is inside and hit it a few times with the rubber mallet. The mallet I use is just a cheap one that my DH has from Home Depot....has a large black rubber head on it.
If your embossing folder is really detailed, sometimes it helps to give your cs a little spritz of water before placing it into your embossing folder. With some cs that will help you get a better impression.
Have fun!

k dunbrook 11-19-2014 02:39 AM

....and thanks for your most kind comments on my cards....

punch-crazy 11-19-2014 06:28 AM

Wow Karen, what a great idea! Guess I'm stealing my husband's rubber mallet :)

mom22flyboys 11-19-2014 07:12 AM

Ingenious idea with the mallet, but I have a question. Does hitting the folder with something hard like this damage the design on the folder? I know running it through a Big Shot puts pressure on it, but maybe not as much as pounding.

Annecards 11-19-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom22flyboys (Post 20814982)
Ingenious idea with the mallet, but I have a question. Does hitting the folder with something hard like this damage the design on the folder? I know running it through a Big Shot puts pressure on it, but maybe not as much as pounding.

I'm going to get a rubber mallet. I'm not worried about damage, i'm sure KAREN wouldn't do it if it was ruining her folders.

k dunbrook 11-19-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annecards (Post 20815023)
I'm going to get a rubber mallet. I'm not worried about damage, i'm sure KAREN wouldn't do it if it was ruining her folders.

So far, my folders have been fine. I'm sure you may have to experiment with the amount of pressue you hit it with...some may need more then others. I do it on a very flat, hard surface. I'm sure the company would have a fit if they read this!
I guess the best advice is to go carefully.

muscrat 11-19-2014 10:26 AM

Darice sells a pack of diffusers in different shapes. Its probably around d $12 but I can get at acmoore with a coupon for $6.

marymint 11-19-2014 10:37 AM

Slightly different subject.... I've never figured something out, and I've tried... I feel so dense... how can I emboss a smaller EF more than once side by side so the lines don't show? Such as in this example:
Daisies Friend by LynniePoo - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Thanks, Mary

TeeGeeDee 11-19-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymint (Post 20815212)
Slightly different subject.... I've never figured something out, and I've tried... I feel so dense... how can I emboss a smaller EF more than once side by side so the lines don't show? Such as in this example:
Daisies Friend by LynniePoo - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Thanks, Mary

I looked for the card on her blog archives (see link below). She describes how she did it ... basically she made her own diffusers but some additional details are in the post.

My Stamping Addiction: "Card Parts" Card - and One More

HTH and ... Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee

marymint 11-19-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDee (Post 20815285)
I looked for the card on her blog archives (see link below). She describes how she did it ... basically she made her own diffusers but some additional details are in the post.

My Stamping Addiction: "Card Parts" Card - and One More

HTH and ... Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee

Thank you Tina!!! I actually looked on her blog but didn't find that. I did it!!! Wa-hoo. Changed the thickness of the cardboard for my machine... and took a couple of tries, but it worked. This will help me with other EF like the long thin ones I sometimes use on envelopes, etc. so there isn't any "edge lines". You're the best!

Mrs Noofy 11-19-2014 02:33 PM

I use a lot of small folders and partial folders (my friend Tea-Bag and I cut regular folders in half and share). I use 15 - 17 pages of folded copy paper instead of my top B plate like on this one. IC455 Purple Flowers, CAS by Mrs Noofy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

RiverIsis 11-19-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue (Post 20814255)
I've made my own and they are so fun because you can use the dies you own to create your diffusers.

6 layers of the chipboard that comes in Stampin' Up! DSP glued together is perfection!

This is a perfect use for Cereal boxes etc! - save that fancy chipboard for a project!

Denverkat276 11-23-2014 03:22 PM

Although they are cheap at the hardware store and I've seen the rubber mallets very cheap at Big Lots, I bet you wouldn't need one. I have a craft hammer, I'm going to take a quarter folded facecloth and rubber band it on the hammer head and try it (hammering lighter than I would if I was hammering something). I'll let you know if that works.

suenan 11-23-2014 06:43 PM

I made my own diffuser today out of cardboard from a cereal box. Worked perfectly! Thanks so much for the help! Now to try out the rubber mallet...

Annecards 11-23-2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suenan (Post 20819815)
I made my own diffuser today out of cardboard from a cereal box. Worked perfectly! Thanks so much for the help! Now to try out the rubber mallet...

I purchased Darcie's diffusers last year, on sale and really cheap, and they work wonderfully. Amazon has the entire set, both rectangular/square windows and circular/oval windows. There's a total of 7 diffusers in the set for under $11.00 and free shipping.

jah636 11-26-2014 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denverkat276 (Post 20819599)
Although they are cheap at the hardware store and I've seen the rubber mallets very cheap at Big Lots, I bet you wouldn't need one. I have a craft hammer, I'm going to take a quarter folded facecloth and rubber band it on the hammer head and try it (hammering lighter than I would if I was hammering something). I'll let you know if that works.

Yes, please let us know how that turns out.

muscrat 11-26-2014 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annecards (Post 20819934)
I purchased Darcie's diffusers last year, on sale and really cheap, and they work wonderfully. Amazon has the entire set, both rectangular/square windows and circular/oval windows. There's a total of 7 diffusers in the set for under $11.00 and free shipping.

Those diffusers are on sale at ACMoore. Feels like a clearance sale. They are $6 for the pack.

dmcg 11-26-2014 08:30 AM

Subbing to read later :)

HOBBYSUE 12-01-2014 04:36 AM

Quote:

hi Sue,
BUT:
You can see it here:

What a great idea!!! And you get rid of some frustration as well!!! A great stress breaker!:lol: