Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What does your family think of your SU habits?

My DH his quite supportive. He's a graphic artist/web designer and is a wonderful source for input when I'm stuck. I feel at times that he isn't too thrilled with the time I spend on my projects. He asked me to go to a store with him the other night and I told him I had to finish up some cards before the night was over and he said "you HAVE to work on cards", like working on them was more important than spending time with him. I said "yes, I have to" and "I don't say no to you that much, do I?" He said no. I think he was bored or something. That was rare. When it happened, I knew I had to ask you all what your experiences are.........

My not-so-art-inclined sister once told me, as she was looking at one of my cards, that I have too much time on my hands. I heard her say it about me to other people, too. That kinda hurt. I have the last laugh there, though, because her DIL is a SU demonstrator and asked my same sister to come to her classes, and she reluctantly said ok. Now she's buying products and wanting to make things too!

My parents like seeing my work. My mother is very artistic.

I do not have kids, but have a 1 year old dog who is always wanting me to play with him when I'm working on my cards. He's so cute, so I usually give in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 10:43 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

DH is supportive

DD is supportive

DS not so much (he's only 6) He is always saying..."mommy, why do you have to stamp so much?"

My mom thinks it's cool. She is very crafty and artistic, but just cannot get into stamping. For Christmas I filled a box for her with assorted cards. She is aways handing out cards for people.

Me
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 10:55 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to Julie1

I just started stamping and cardmaking in November. But did other crafts before that. DH has been very supportive, doesn't quite understand why I need some much stuff he tells me that "we already have a mini Michael's in our bedroom what more could you need", he says it teasingly though. He loves the cards that I make.

DD is 8 and loves to craft also. She to is getting into the cardmaking game as well.

DS is 4 and could care less. He just cares about his Power Rangers.

Youngest DD is to young to really care but loves to scribble on paper so I guess you could say that she crafts with me too.

Rest of the family loves getting the cards that I have made. I am making them all lunch box tins for Xmas this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 10:59 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I think my dh is amused by it all, though I know he hates it when I stamp after the kids go to bed (my only free time, but our only together-alone time). He's pretty supportive though, he even bought me a stamp for Mothers Day.

My grandma is my biggest fan. She was always into arts & crafts --knitting, crocheting, ceramics, painting --until arthritis got the best of her. She's always saying I should sell my cards.

My mom isn't crafty at all & doesn't understand, although she does think my cards are cute.

7 yr old ds wants to stamp with me, & can't understand why he can't play with my stuff. He's got his own cheapie-kid stamps he can play with!!

3 yr old ds is too young to understand, but he's always saying "are you making more cards for your friends?" Too cute!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 11:09 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Smile

My Russel says he wishes he could think up a hobby that would involve him as much as my stamping involves me. He occasionally teases me on how much I spend and says I should become a hobby demo (gotta love that guy!), but he's not seriously complaining. He makes all the right noises when I show him a card I just made and is occasionally even downright impressed! My sister is a quilter, so she likes my paper pieced cards. My brother likes my Stampscapes cards. My Mom, heavy sigh, she was gone before I got into stamping, but I still show her what I do sometimes and know she would have loved anything I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 11:09 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

My DH is way supportive. He is actually the reason I am into stamping as much as I am. He is always encouraging about it.
My DD stamps right along with me.
We don't have any other kids yet (in the process of adopting).
My dog is always laying by my feet when I stamp and when I'm not he is wanting to play. Does that mean I stamp too much? LOL
My mom wants to learn to stamp but only wants me to teach her which is kind of hard since she is in Oregon and I am Kansas. But she is coming to visit in October so guess what we will be doing. ;)
My step-mom loves stamping!
My MIL however says I have way too much time on my hands and people with lives don't stamp. Although she has in the past asked me for cards and such. the last time she said I had too much time on her hands was while DH was deployed to Iraq last year. She asked DH how he could let me spend so much money on something so pointless. So DH told her that it was better then doing other stuff and that he didn't see it as pointless and just because she didn't have a creative bone in her body didn't mean she had to be so mean to me. Go DH! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 11:11 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

My DH bought me a beautiful dragonfly stamp once. I felt so guilty about how long it took me to use it for the first time! He received a cheque in CDN funds in the mail as a gift and his options were either to deposit it into his US bank and get dinged $4 for the transaction, or mail it to me so I could deposit it into our joint account. He teased me and said I wasn't allowed to spend the cheque amount on stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

My DH thinks it's a great hobby but a serious investment too. Since I really don't spend money on anything else, he thinks it's okay. We'll periodically have a joking question and answer about just HOW MUCH money I've spent. He''l ask how much-I'll give an outrageous figure, like 10,000 then he'll pretend to faint, then I'll make him feel better by laughing and telling him it's really not that much...yet. I think there's a psychological term for this game-bait and switch? lying?
7 year old daughter thinks it's AWESOME. she stamps just as much as I do.
MIL thinks I'm out of my gourd!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 11:18 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

DH is supportive - loves giving his grandma & mother a hand-made card! It also means if he leaves me to my stamping time, he gets his sit in front of the tube and watch soccer time (especially important right now...)

DD is supportive - especially of anything that involves glitter and glue (she's 3)

Sister is a new-convert - loves the fact that I drop a ton of funds on stuff she can borrow

My mother thinks I have too much time on my hands (especially since I'd rather stamp than cook and clean - gasp!), but is not above asking for a "nice handmade card for that baby shower I've been invited to"

My relatives in Ireland are jealous of all the wonderful "stuff" we can get here and how little we pay for it (I think they know when they feed me this they know I'll drop odds and ends in the mail for them...). They are "horrified" if they receive a store-bought card now - we had a couple of "bad" months at the beginning of the year and a few of them got Hallmark birthday cards :(

My pitifully neglected gallery

StampingReckLesley (my pitifully neglected blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

D(almost)H is mostly supportive, does not complain about what I buy or the time I spend. However, he's a collector and buys diecast cars, toys, movies, etc., so I have nothing on him with his "stuff."

My parents are neutral. One sister is an SU demo and very supportive; the other sister is neutral.

Some of my best "fans" are friends who fave about things I make. It's nice to hear that sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 11:43 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

It is so great to hear about the support! I think that is just fantastic. What I love about SU is the products make it easy to make something great. If my sister can do it, so can anyone! haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 11:47 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

My hubby is supportive and just loves to introduce me to people like "this is my wife, Hope. She likes to color." I feel like "Rainman" when he says that, but when I tell people I make cards, they want to see them and I have sold some this way!!! So, I left him slide with the introduction!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default DH

DH usually doesn't seem to show much interest except
when I come home from Stamp Camp (I'm in a bi-monthly group).
He wants to see what we've made that night and will comment
on the color choices.

When the new catalog comes, he'll actually look at it with me.
He has pointed out several stamp sets that he likes and
I try to put them on my wish list.

He even bought a gift certificate from my demo for my birthday.
She makes up her own.

About the money... he's an accountant so it doesn't take long for him to figure out how much I'm spending.
His biggest gripe other than the fact that I don't stamp alot (I go in spurts) and it's just he and I and we are on the go a lot, is the sales tax we pay
(9.75%) on top of the 10% s/h SU charges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:00 PM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

DH is supportive. He just wants me to watch how much I spend.

The kids are supportive. They love to help me or to draw while I am making something.

My mom is supportive. I help her make cards for her to send to the family as well as her friends.

My sisters couldn't care less about stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

My SO is super supportive. We're moving in August and a little strapped for cash, so I said to help out, I'd sell my stuff. He was adamantly against it!

Sister couldn't care less, although she gives the occasional "Oh, that's really nice. Thanks" but in her 'fake' voice!

Dad thinks I should start my own company :rolleyes: he doesn't really have a clue, but appreciates the cards, I think.

Mom has a very different style from me. Not sure WHAT she thinks, actually.

Friends all VERY supportive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

My husband is supportive now that he figured out i save $ every time i make a card, and the more stamps i have the bigger variety of cards i can make!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:10 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

My hubby is very supportive. I dragged my stuff out the other night (it was almost 11 pm) and he said "I like it when you play with your stuff".

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I also have a very supportive husband. My daughters love all the things I make with my stamps, but so far haven't been able to get them interested. My husband teases me about all my "stuff" and how it has taken over his side of the work room. This will be a great weekend for him. My younger daughter is moving into her own apartment, which means I can turn her bedroom into my stamp room. HOORAY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:16 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

My husband doesn't have a clue about how much I spend but he fishes and spends big bucks on fly rods etc... so he doesn't hassle me. he does feel neglected though that I look at this site so much and make cards. He would rather I sit and admire him in the living room as he watches TV !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:19 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by friendly63
He would rather I sit and admire him in the living room as he watches TV !
That's the reason I started stamping - so I didn't have to do this!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:25 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

DH loves when I spend time STAMPING or SCRAPBOOKING and having fun at it. Not so much when I complain that I haven't done any, so I have tried to set aside one day a week at least (fri night) to do one or the other. He has now started going to shoot at a bow hunting range that night so it works out for both of us, he is happy that I am happy.

DH is NOT loving it when I buy more SU stuff. I used to be a demo and he used to groan every time the UPS man came. Now that I am not a demo any more he is much happier.

DD who is 6 LOVES that I stamp and I am the happiest with the SU stamps that I have since they come in a nice little box that she can put them away in. She is a very good stamper and even cleans them the way you are supposed to on the Stampin Scrub.

My side of the family loves when they receive stamped items. THe scrapbook stuff they don't get so much but some of them "get it" and get sentimental when I give them items like that. My husband's mom will never receive any more stamped or scrapbook items as she not only doesn't appreciate it and usually has comments when I talk about spending time stamping that I should put it all in that corner behind the boiler where there are cabinets there. ???Hello? Yes there are cabinets there but that is where the extra tools and stuff like the crock pot go, hello, not my stamping or scrapbook supplies????

I am glad that DH is now glad I am a stamper, he used to be really ugly every time I planned a workshop for SU or CTMH but now that I am no longer a demo for either he is much happier and when I stamp he is very nice about and sees what I do and sees how happy I am doing things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started stamping after a friend inviting me to a party at her house.
Since then we've joined forces and are now a regularly scheduled Stamp Camp that has been meeting every other month for almost two years.

I orginially joined because I wanted to make some new friends - I was newly married - new to town - didn't have any "girlfriends" - since I moved to where DH lived when we married he had friends.
I'm not very "artistic" but you don't have to be with SU (especially with the color wheel, SCS, and the ideas in the catty).

DH never fusses about the money - he drops a bundle when he goes to Daytona in February for a long weekend with the boys at the Daytona 500.

I'm blessed!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:50 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoAddict
My husband is supportive now that he figured out i save $ every time i make a card, and the more stamps i have the bigger variety of cards i can make!:-D
Boy, is your husband in for a surprise. There's a cute stamp someplace that says something like: $1,000 worth of stamps, $900 worth of paper, the smile on a friend's face after getting a card, priceless.
This is not something I do to save money on cards. I figure each card I make costs me about $50! LOL :rolleyes: DH does complain if I actually go out and buy a card for someone! But, hey, I have no baby stamps, no kid stamps, so what's a girl to do? :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

My step daughter is my demo and hubby just rolls his eyes every so often and then pays the CC bill or take me shopping at one of the local stores
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:58 PM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

My darling hubby is my biggest fan! He still doesn't understand the need for always wanting more "stuff", but he drives me around on the weekends to stores that are far away from us, so after almost 36 years of marriage, I think I'll keep him.
His mother is also one of my biggest fans and she always "needs" more cards! She's such a dear and I don't mind sending them along. Because of her, I just got an order for 100 cards from a friend of hers. I've never done anything this big before, but I have a while to fill it, so I'm working one card at a time.
With the new caddy coming tomorrow, as much as he loves me and what I do, there is NO way he'd understand how much I'm going to HAVE to spend on more NEW stuff!!

Happy Stampin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

My family thinks I've been abducted by a cult. I get "nice" or "uh huh" when I show cards. My MIL made a comment about me being smart making my own cards because it was cheap. If only she knew!!! When I gave my BIL his last b'day card he raved about it. I guess some people appreciate art. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 01:24 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

My DH is totally supportive and oohs and aahs over each card I show him. He's an avid Mountain biker/backpacker/camper so my hobby is so much less expensive than his. But he's very sweet. He'll buy me stamps for my bday, mother's day and Christmas. He really looks at my creations. My DD's like the paper and stickers that I buy because they scrapbook,too, so they "borrow" my supplies all of the time. My 12 year old pays me for what she uses, which is nice. My Ds's just kind of rool there eyes and say "that's nice, Mom". But my extended family knows that I make everything I send.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathynruss
DH does complain if I actually go out and buy a card for someone! But, hey, I have no baby stamps, no kid stamps, so what's a girl to do? :cool:
Buy some baby and kid stamps!! hehehe :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 02:13 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04
My family thinks I've been abducted by a cult. I get "nice" or "uh huh" when I show cards. My MIL made a comment about me being smart making my own cards because it was cheap. If only she knew!!! When I gave my BIL his last b'day card he raved about it. I guess some people appreciate art. LOL

AMEN to that statement...My family also thinks I have been abducted! My DD is supportive...but thinks I need to take a chill pill...I have only been stamping for about 2 years and am in deep...and to the statement saving on cards...Oh my gosh...I could have probably bought hallmark by now...I can remember my first encounter with Stampin Up. Look how much you can save on cards...no way...buying cards would have saved me a fortune. Thats not the key at all...

What is the key? All the new friends I have made since I started stamping...I have so many new friends. I love stamping with them...I have a big stamp room and I have friends over to stamp all the time. I love it. And my whole new splitcoast family...love you guys too! Just think what all I would have missed out on!

Saving money is not what making cards is all about...if thats why your in it forget it...it will cost you a fortune...gotta have this...gotta have that...and if you hang out here you will end up getting anything anyone mentions....I just love the threads...check this out...I do and I buy! But I love it!

Did I mention how much I love it! HA!

The rest of my family is supportive to an extent...they all think I am in a cult...but they are the first to show my cards to everyone they come in contact with! They are very proud of what I do!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

My DH is extremely supportive. He does not say (much of) anything about what I spend, and I don't say (much of) anything about what he spends on tools. But the best part is he oohs and aahs and encourages me, and often gives helpful ideas. And I love it when he makes the effort to make me a card...he likes to emboss! (requires a "power tool") ;)

My SIL got me involved in SU, and she cannot understand how I love it so much. I once made the comment "I NEED Print Pattern" and she laughed that I said I NEEDED it!! What's wrong with that....??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 02:20 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathynruss
Boy, is your husband in for a surprise. There's a cute stamp someplace that says something like: $1,000 worth of stamps, $900 worth of paper, the smile on a friend's face after getting a card, priceless.
This is not something I do to save money on cards. I figure each card I make costs me about $50! LOL :rolleyes: DH does complain if I actually go out and buy a card for someone! But, hey, I have no baby stamps, no kid stamps, so what's a girl to do? :cool:

your $50.00 per card statement is very conservative!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I have one daughter who scraps and another who both scraps & stamps, so they are very supportive. My son thinks we're all nuts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been stamping for over 10 years and married for 1.5 years, so he had to deal. He has a music studio and lots of Xbox games. He likes to see what I made but mostly since it makes me happy, he is happy. I have a very demanding day job, so I need an outlet. I was traveling 13 days in May so no stamping time at all. He finally said over Memorial Day, you are grumpy, why don't you go stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 05:02 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

I just loved reading all these posts.....I actually laughed out loud at a few......thanks to all for making me smile!!!

My dh is very supportive of my hobby and he is a great encourager.....he actually gave me money ahead to get new items in the new catty.....awww what a peach he is.....
DD stamps right along with me......she is 15 and is very creative and gives me some great ideas!!
Ds....is older...24...lives out on his own.....and doesn't care! LOL

I've heard the hurtful comments from non-stampin friends too..that I have way too much time on my hands......or I should come clean thier homes or help them out..........in which.....they do like my cards I send them....but my time will be spent on what I enjoy doing and creating.

It still astounds me that others can be so hurtful.....

so I love coming to this place and how supportive everyone is......

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

LOL.......Stamp Maniac...........IN A CULT?????
Now that is funny.........LOLLOLOLOLOLOL
I'm on the floor laughing.....and my dog is looking at me strangly! lOL

cult.........ok let me join!

lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 05:28 PM   #36  
Glitter Queen

DH is super supportive... especially when the Cruise flyers come in the mail! Like today for Bahamas!! lol

He is generally supportive of my hobbies... he rolls his eyes when I tell him about the upcoming Open Houses... but on my heels into my office to find out "how much WE made"! :o

My other fam is pretty cool about it... my mother has yet to catch on. She weird anyway - she tells me things like "you're making the invites? Your sister thinks that you can manage this." But then when someone says "did you see what your daughter did" (you know in that "I love it and so like Katie to do something crafty" voice!) then my mother says "yes I do like the card and she's so creative".... funny she doesn't say it TO me... like I said she's weird. Whatever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 08:01 PM   #37  
Forum Fanatic

My hubbs thinks it the greatest thing in the world, that I found a hobby that I am so passionate about. He knows how much I spend but he doesn't say nothing. You know. My daughter loves stamping on anything and loves looking at all my finish products. Lots of "Oohs and Aahs" from the both. Hubbs really likes that I make everyone Christmas presents now instead, so he thinks we are saving some money. ;-)

Like StarLitStudio said "When Mommas happy, everyones happy. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 04:44 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stitchinstampin

lori
As far as the cult your already in it!!!!

I am on the floor laughing now...cause of your dog! HA!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 04:59 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

It still astounds me that others can be so hurtful.....

Lori
The comment astounds me but I am even more astounded when they actually laugh out loud after they say stuff like that. Sorry, I don't see the humor there. Artists are so underappreciated! and so sensitive........

I remember watching a how-to-paint show once where the woman said that "no one cares how much effort you've put into your painting".....and that truth hurts! I guess that's true for any form of art. As long as the artist is happy with it, that is what matters!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 05:00 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

lori
(spoken in a whisper) Come and join us............. You must join us........... You need to join us........ You can't live life unless you join us........... :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes