Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-01-2021, 11:22 PM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cre8ive MindView Post
Thanks for responding Joanne.
I sometimes find straight cut edges plain and boring, and was wondering if there are ways I am missing of finishing them more decoratively. The yellow card is just cut straight and the flower box one I just stitched and the white one I stitched and distressed.
I wasn't aware of the newer Challenge you mentioned and will check that out for ideas.
Thank you again!
Barb
I ink my edges with a black marksalot, though black has nothing to do with the face of the card, the black edge is a bit like a frame.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
I ink my edges with a black marksalot, though black has nothing to do with the face of the card, the black edge is a bit like a frame.
Now there is a good shortcut to framing in black without using a sheet of card stock. I guess that goes with any colour really, but black does make things pop as someone else pointed out. I guess the best thing to do is the ink first and then emboss as embossing first may make inking over the bumps difficult depending on the pattern. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2021, 07:52 AM   #43  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I’m not sure I’m understanding your question - can you show us an example of the sort of thing you usually do? Maybe you have things in your gallery?

On a connected note though, if you’re looking for inspiration to use your folders, there’s a relatively new challenge dedicated to embossing folders: Let’s Squash It There seems to be a group of players who pitch up regularly as well as newcomers and occasional players - it’s a fun and friendly group, challenges start on 10th each month. I’m not involved in organising, I just like to play along when I can!
Joanne, I just took a look at that site and NOW I know why there was a TP shortage last year! 😄
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy on PrairieView Post
I was a real followers for Debbie Stevens cards and she embossed her cards and added a few layers of matting which looked so professional and gorgeous. Just typed in "images of Debbie Steven's cards" and you will see a wide selection of her cards.
Wow! I see what you mean by layers on her cards....lots! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #45  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

I bought some metallic waxy stuff recently but it wasn't called gilding wax. I haven't tried it yet. I better open it up and check it out. I wonder if it's the same just another brand? Thanks!
I've used many different brands of gilding wax and for the most part, have been happy with all of them, at least until they dry out..Most of the gilding waxes though are water soluble, so that you can reconstitute them if you don't wait too long.. the attached image shows a card I made last year.. I embossed that napkin (attached to cardstock with glue stick), then used gilding wax over the surface and along the edge of the embossed layer (as well as on the teabag medallion)
Attached Thumbnails
Edges of Embossed Card?-penny-napkin-cs-embossed-gilding-wax-added-jp-how-many-7-detail.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #46  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I find cards that I make, kinda blah with straight edges.

I too have this problem. I distress the edges and I have 4 different sizes of corner rounders. So I'm putting on my shoes and I'm following along on this topic.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Cre8ive Mind (06-02-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 08:51 PM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by d0npenView Post
I've used many different brands of gilding wax and for the most part, have been happy with all of them, at least until they dry out..Most of the gilding waxes though are water soluble, so that you can reconstitute them if you don't wait too long.. the attached image shows a card I made last year.. I embossed that napkin (attached to cardstock with glue stick), then used gilding wax over the surface and along the edge of the embossed layer (as well as on the teabag medallion)
First I was struck with that complex origami. Wow! Then all that colour and ooolala gold. Lots to inspect which I like. I think I must try the embossed napkin on card stock technique. More texture which adds more interest. Brilliant!
Reply With Quote Likes
d0npen (06-04-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 08:55 PM   #48  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin WroseView Post
The only thing I noticed that I do differently is, I generally mount the embossed piece on a coordinated color, before putting it on the base white.

It's just a simple thing but seems to somehow attach it all together..... Two samples of my millions. lol
Wow, that ocean scene is amazing, and the embossing folder couldn't be more perfect. You're right about the cardstock mat being a great way to frame it.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Default Dressing Up Your Edges

So I decided to compile all the ideas we came up with into a list. I find having a list of choices to quickly look at helps when I am in the middle of creating a card. It would be nice if it was pictorial but that would require a lot more work. So for now I hope this may help others in jazzing up their cards a bit if they choose. If anyone has any more ideas please do contribute them. Thanks everyone for their ideas and interest in this thread.
Barb

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dressing Up Your Edges.pdf (23.0 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
DebbieinOC (06-09-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #50  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

I still have all my decorative edge scissors and like them, but I have trouble making the corners of the panels look nice. I tend to go to my MS punch around the page punches instead. Maybe I should revisit them and see if I can make some of them work now that I have more experience and more supplies to work with them, like corner punches.
Thanks for your suggestions.
I have all my old edge scissors too. Corners can be tricky, but a lot of them work well if you are careful to match the pattern at the corner. Also, you can cut round the corner, in effect like a corner rounder punch.By matching the pattern as you go, you can get a continuous design.
I also wanted to mention that there are some great decorative corner punches out there. I especially like the ones that have 3 different designs on one punch. I use mine a lot!

Very Very Violet by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers
The panel behind the layered motif has decorative corners.

Last edited by contrapat; 06-08-2021 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:17 AM   #51  
Matboard Maniac

Default Dressing Up Your Edges

Here is a jpeg to see so you don't have to open up the PDF.

Sorry this didn't upload a big picture as I had hoped...it needs opening too.
Attached Thumbnails
Edges of Embossed Card?-dressing-up.jpg  

Last edited by Cre8ive Mind; 06-08-2021 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: picture didn't show actual size
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
I have all my old edge scissors too. Corners can be tricky, but a lot of them work well if you are careful to match the pattern at the corner. Also, you can cut round the corner, in effect like a corner rounder punch.By matching the pattern as you go, you can get a continuous design.
I also wanted to mention that there are some great decorative corner punches out there. I especially like the ones that have 3 different designs on one punch. I use mine a lot!

Very Very Violet by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers
The panel behind the layered motif has decorative corners.
I think I have most corner punches that are available on the market. LOL.
Now this is why I love you SCSers...you are so brilliant...I never thought of using the decorative scissors and rounding the corners with them on a square or rectangle panel. Duh!!!! I just straight line cut and tried to match up the perpendicular cut to somehow look nice. I couldn't get it looking good except for the scallops. I have used them to cut circles and ovals and they work. I hide the end and beginning mismatch with embellishments. Thank you for that idea! Maybe those scissors will see paper again.
Barb

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for sharing the PDF and JPEG image of the list! That is awesome! Loving all the suggestions!
The idea with the corner rounder and edging scissors is great! Never thought to do that either.
Reply With Quote Likes