Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Does SU usually retire this many??? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/does-su-usually-retire-many-245053/)

krzylittlecara 05-01-2007 08:46 AM

Does SU usually retire this many???

I'm fairly new to SU (just started my adiction.......i mean collection...........last Christmas)

I was amamzed at how many sets they are retiring............went through the catty and picked out the ones i like that were retiring................OMG i totaled it up and it's over $1,000 sure as heck not buying all of those.........definately need to do some dwindeling.

Does SU usually retire half their catalogue every year? Just curious........I can understand retiring most of the sentements to make way for new ones (people might get tired of getting birthday cards with the same message over and over). But why retire som many of the regular Holiday and other occasion stamps.................especially the backgrounds!!!!! and Alphabets!!!! I'm just stunned.

emilymomto3boys 05-01-2007 08:47 AM

the list seems a bit longer this year.....

Sibylle 05-01-2007 08:50 AM

I can only speak for the past three years, but I would say no that they don't. The worst time that I remember was a couple of years ago (I think) when they retired 185. I thought that was bad. I was shocked this year. I am no longer a demo, I quit in February, and even though I miss it, I was kind of glad I didn't have to worry about it. Man, I had 54 sets that retired. That would have been painful if I was still a demo. I am guessing it is because of their new policy of going to two cattys a year.

Sibylle

merrymoo2 05-01-2007 08:51 AM

On the demo website SU states that the retirement list is slightly longer this year than in the past because of the transition into the new 2 catalog a year program.

mardellecat 05-01-2007 08:51 AM

I seem to remember last year's list being just one page long (?). Think they are doing major housekeeping to make way for lots of great new sets that we'll all be wanting :)

Kathy W 05-01-2007 08:52 AM

I was wondering about the length of the list, too, since I just started last summer. Being on a limited budget, I won't be able to get all the sets that are retiring and are on my wish list....question: does anyone have "All Mixed Up?" It looks like such a cute set for kids....and I don't see it showing up on the resale circuit. Any feedback is appreciated. Looks like I'll need to get "Roses in Winter" and *attempt* those beautiful roses like Emily's...it is going to take me years LOL.

trittgirl2002 05-01-2007 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mardellecat
Think they are doing major housekeeping to make way for lots of great new sets that we'll all be wanting :)

I agree. As I went through the catty this am I kept thinking of how good the new stuff should be - b/c they are retiting some awesome sets!

krzylittlecara 05-01-2007 09:07 AM

2 catty's a year? How will that work..................are they going to retire stuff twice a year now? This could get really rediculous.

craftdoc 05-01-2007 09:13 AM

Yes, there will be a retired list twice a year (only for one month though). It will be much shorter.

Choc0holic 05-01-2007 09:16 AM

Will the new catalogs be smaller as well?

belindaking 05-01-2007 09:18 AM

This list is MUCH longer than usual... the only close list (183 in 2004) was because we had two catalogs to retire sets from.

With over 400 sets currently in the catalog, SU has to get rid of a lot to be able to decrease the size of the catalog by 20% while still satisfying our need for NEW stamps being introduced. I anticipate that the Fall/Winter Collection will be the best catalog we've had in a long, long time! :D

belindaking 05-01-2007 09:18 AM

The new catalogs will be 208 pages as opposed to the current 256 pages.

STAMPINGODDESS 05-01-2007 10:04 AM

All I can say is that in the 6 years I've been a demonstrator,this is the first time the list took 2 pages! I think I read on the demonstrator side that nearly 250 sets and wheel retired, leaving only about 150 that have not retired.

I know that after I pull all of my retired sets out of their drawers, my cabinets will be very sparce for awhile!

prairie mom 05-01-2007 10:36 AM

This is mega long! Sad, sad day here! No more roses or natural beauty! The new catty better be a good one after this big sweep!

kiraj 05-01-2007 10:41 AM

Remember that last year wheels were in the retiring accessories list, not the stamp list, so that makes it look a lot longer too.

emmiestamps 05-01-2007 10:54 AM

I wish the put out the retiring acc. list sooner then June 2oth.

akjones 05-01-2007 10:55 AM

It seemed really long to me too. I was really shocked. I won't have any unretired sets for swaps now. Guess I'll have to get some new stuff when the new catty comes out. They really cleaned out the Christmas and wedding sections. I hope they don't retire any inks or papers if they do an accessory list later.

Wow - 2 catties a year. That will be fun! I had no idea they were going to do this. It does look like they're taking a different tack with all the special promo items they've been having. I love the paper they're offering for May!

lesliespringer 05-01-2007 10:57 AM

Wow, i tell you I was surprised. I had 14 sets retire. I know that is not a lot compared to most of you. I was thinking of signing up in the next year or so. But there is no way I can keep up with purchasing current sets. This really surprised me big time.

Maxell 05-01-2007 11:06 AM

As demos, I guess you don't use the sets that are retired and not for sale any longer for obvious reasons. What do you do with them? Use them for your own personal use? Sell them?

Just curious;)

Soozie4Him 05-01-2007 11:47 AM

Hi Maxell, I've been a demo for almost 3 years and I still keep all my retired stamp sets. I do use them for my personal stamping. At some point, I'll run out of space, but for now, they stay! I've sold 3 retired sets and I regret it!

Camie 05-01-2007 12:01 PM

Where can I find a list of retiring stamps? Are they available to everyone or just demo people.

azufelt 05-01-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belindaking
I anticipate that the Fall/Winter Collection will be the best catalog we've had in a long, long time! :D

I completely agree with that.... I am shocked at the lengthy retiring list, but am anticipating some awesome sets in time for Xmas!!!

Hazy 05-01-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camie Miller
Where can I find a list of retiring stamps? Are they available to everyone or just demo people.

The retired list is available on SU's website. www.stampinup.com Look at the menu at the top right, I think. There's an option for 2007 retired list.

H.

jazzytobi 05-01-2007 12:12 PM

i'm looking forward to more up-to-date sets that can compete with all of the trendy new clear-stamp lines like autumn leaves and fancy pants... good-bye gnomes!!

Novell 05-01-2007 12:15 PM

As a customer, I'm excited to see this many sets retire. It just makes me anticipate the new catalogs that much more. I can understand how this hits the demos pocketbooks, though, so I hope they offer the demos a great opportunity for discounts on new stuff to re-stock their sets to demo with. In all honesty, there was ONE wheel that I want off the retired list and nothing else. I either have the sets retiring or don't want the others. Yay! I can save my money for the new catalog.

shelwoofer 05-01-2007 12:17 PM

is the list posted anywhere...i have yet to see it??

AmyR 05-01-2007 12:18 PM

I am SO excited that so much is retiring (I counted and got 231 sets on the list - I may be a little off on that tho - and 46 wheels) - I can't wait to see the NEW stuff!!

And personally I have 64 sets that will be retired. Some I'm keeping (Petal Prints and Roses in Winter *sniff* for sure and a few others) - the rest I plan on selling.

willosmama 05-01-2007 12:19 PM

This was posted by Belinda King~

previous years:
2003-- 130 sets
2004-- 184 sets
2005-- 139 sets
2006-- 153 sets

2007-- 233 sets, 45 wheels

one of the other years also included wheels, but I can't remember which year.

This will be a rockin' new catty!!!!

Joan B 05-01-2007 12:58 PM

Some demos hold open house sales for their customers and sell some or all of their retired sets that way. Others sell them on ebay (which is permitted) or on SCS, directly, or on other websites. Still, others keep them all; I know one demo that has never kept a retired set because she is totally into demonstrating and selling. She is a very successful demo!

stampinsweeney 05-01-2007 01:12 PM

I am glad to see the large retirement list, honestly. I haven't really wanted to purchase anything from the catty for several months. I have been getting things only from the mini catalogs, however, I am not a demo, so this doesn't effect if I will keep the set and use them or not.

Woohoo! Go SU!

scrapper79 05-01-2007 01:13 PM

I do think it's long!! Too long...boo hoo!!

I am hoping that means good things for the new sets!!

LilBit 05-01-2007 03:10 PM

We all hate to see our favorit sets retire, just as we hate to hear someone say they don't care for our favorite set, color, style or "whatever". One thing to remember about the retiring list, is that some of the sets (even some of my VERY favorites) have been in the catalog for several years, and it is time to replace them with something new and fresh. There has been ample opportunity to purchase the stamps, given all the incentives the company offers (if you are truly motivated to get them).

RSBoyer 05-01-2007 03:23 PM

Hi,
Surprised on some but it also adds excitement for new coming. I went thru and placed the retired sets in a separate box wow 3 boxes over 100 stamp sets in my possession retiring. This is the first I see the wheels listed with the stamp sets they usually were listed with accessories.
I still have two boxes of retired from last year. My bookcase looks bare in comparsion.

Rubber Hugs
Robin Boyer

cardmaker2 05-01-2007 03:23 PM

I agree with everyone, such a lot of sets retiring...hopefully the new catalogue will be amazing! Better be!

What I think is that SU should offer these at a small discount to encourage more sales. I would be inclined to buy another set or two if they were on sale. Seems pointless to be to get any unless I absolutely love them and can't picture life carrying on as we know it, if I didn't rush out and buy. I have always thought they should do that.

The only set I might want is the Snowflake set.

Scrapping&Stamping 05-01-2007 04:43 PM

I am just bummed to see some of my faves go: roses in winter and petal prints are at the top of the list.

bmbutler 05-01-2007 04:44 PM

Well, Stampin' Up sealed it for me. I personally have not liked the last 3 - 4years of their catalog. Used to be I wanted every single thing in the book when it came out in July (same thing on the Minis), but lately my list has been smaller and smaller each year. I am very sad to see some of their most beautiful and useful sets going away. Glad I switched to other companies.

housefan 05-01-2007 04:47 PM

Anyone know how demos feel about the long retirement list and 2 catalogs a year? Won't this increase their expense greatly?