Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-17-2005, 02:40 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Pottery SU Style - anyone done it?

I am going to one of those "Paint your own pottery" places this summer with my daughter. I thought of bringing some of my SU stamps. Wondering if anyone had ever done it, recommended/not recommended, tips, etc?

The last time I was there they had foam and sponge stamps which were nice but I was thinking of doing some gifts for Xmas and thought I would check first.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 05:12 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I've been a few times and also thought about using stamps, the owner of the shop told me that it wouldn't have any fine detail. When the pieces are baked the painted lines tend to get fatter, so if the lines were too close together they might blend in. I was thinking of using a DD, probably fish frolics or the new mixed bouquet. If you paint something and it comes out bad, the good news is that you can just sponge it off. We did my son's handprints on plates for the grandparents. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 06:08 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done already glazed serving dishes using Stazon and special porcelain paint I picked up at Michaels. I loved the results! You put them in the oven at a low temperature to set the paint, and they are food and dishwasher safe. There was no change to the image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I make pottery and then underglaze & glaze it. The amount of fine detail you can get depends on whether they high fire or low fire their pottery. Most fire it to get the most detail possible. Look at some of their samples before you start painting. It's a good idea to go ahead of time to pick out what piece you want to paint, and that way you'll know what stamp sets you want to use as well. Choosing the piece takes up alot of your painting time.

Use a bold shape, and remember you may have to hand paint over it to fill in. Most underglazes need two-three coats.

Try something like Spring Garden, Island Blossoms or Love Without End and after you stamp, dab a little more paint over it with a paintbrush. Use darker colors, since the lighter the color the more coats you'll need.

You can also stamp it with your underglaze color, then use a paintbrush with black or a dark color and paint an outline or add details.

It never looks like you expect it to. You'll get happy surprises, but DON'T expect clean images and color contrasts that you'd get on paper.

Have Fun!

�.��* .��*��))
-:�:-
((��.��*~
Beth.��*��))
-:�:- �� ((��.��* .��*((��.�.�� *-:�:- ...

I'm always up to Something...
My Daughter is up to stuff too!
Reply With Quote Likes