Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #1  
TJM
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitant to cut that pretty piece of paper

Hi! I've lurked around the forums for a while now but this is my first confession & I am looking for suggestions.

I have tons of 12"x12" beautifully patterned pieces of paper & card stock. Some of it I even bought with the plan of using it for some sort of project. I even have some SU! designer series paper and bought coordinating card stock/ink/washi tape/ stamps/etc to make cards. In my head they are things of beauty. However, in reality, when I sit down to cut up that piece of paper, I panic. How big of a piece should I cut? What if the card ends up goofy looking? Where is the correct place in the pattern to cut? Is a card a worthy project to use this dsp on?.... On and on with that kind of thinking. It's gotten quite bad lately- to the point that I'm 'not allowed' to buy more paper until I start using up what I have. I know that the whole point is to use it but its so pretty. I don't scrapbook, and really don't have the attention span for scrapbooking. I do lots of kinds of crafting and love card making.

Did anybody else have this issue when starting to work with the 12"x12" sheets? How did you overcome it?
Anyone else have suggestions on how to start using this paper so my brain will stop putting the breaks on potential projects?

:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi! What I've found out worked best for me was to use a template called "One Sheet Wonders". They show you measurements to cut it and even how to use them on card fronts. I first started out with simple designs to get comfortable with it, then away I went. I found templates on Pinterest and even through Google search.
Hope that helps!

Believe in
Yourself!!

www.pinterest.com/samigirl66/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I had loads and I felt like I was wasting it so... one day, I made a mini album and then these really cool folio type flipflop albums. I've never looked back since. Go look at Anne's paper creations, Kathy Orta, etc. You'll get inspired to actually use the paper. I love using my paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I understand how you feel TJM. I am the same way. I have lots of 12x12 DSP sitting in my nice, organized plastic folders on my shelf. Some I will cut to use for my club projects but I have sometimes changed my mind because I don't want to use up all the sheets. So I hoard them. One thing I do to get over that is to buy 2 of them. As long as I have one extra full pack of DSP I don't have any problem cutting into the first pack. I know that is really silly but it takes the stress out of it for me. I keep telling myself... one day I will use it all up.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi and welcome TJM! I think many of us have been in your shoes. In my case, I have accumulated so many beautiful papers that I HAD to start using them for 2 reasons. 1. I want to keep getting more beautiful paper. 2. I have paper in 4 rooms now so I will run out of space eventually. Lol. It is so freeing when you decide to use the beautiful paper. There is ALWAYS another beauty on the horizon.
Blessings

Last edited by sprtchick; 03-03-2015 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: oops..spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2015, 02:22 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

When I was first stamping I was intimidated by 12 x 12 paper. I almost always case cards. Meaning I copy a design. Of course they always end up a bit different because. I don't have exactly the same supplies. My recommendation would be to stalk the gallery here, Pinterest , etc. and find cards using designer paper and copy! You will be stretched to be somewhat creative but you will have a guide. Works for me. I now love to cut up & use up dsp !!!!! I just hate items languishing around and possibly becoming out of date
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2015, 03:00 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes it is hard to start doing it, but when you sit down and realize that often pattern paper goes out of style, yeah, even that gorgeous K & Company paper that I just had to had and there was nothing like it at the time etc., it makes it a lot easier to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2015, 04:11 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Use it -- or else you'll find yourself posting on one of the hoarding threads soon...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I was EXACTLY like you (and still have a few residue "tendencies", lol), until I revamped my paper storage. I couldn't find a way to corral all of it as 12" x 12" that made me happy, so I cut it down to 8 1/2" x 12" so I could put it in standard legal-size file folders in a standard filing cabinet - problem solved! I now had a whole whack of 3 1/2" x 12" strips to play with, and still had "most" of the original piece of any particular pattern intact. You can make a lot of cards with very little paper, I discovered. I also discovered that those "had to have 'em" papers weren't as fabulous a few years later as I thought they were when I bought them. I actually purged A LOT of them and gifted them to schools and after-school programs. As I keep cutting into the papers, I realize that it's a lot more fun to use them and get new ones than it is to keep hoarding all of the pretty papers just to admire them periodically... Now my new challenge is finding ways to use MORE of them, so I can whittle down the stash enough to justify getting new...

Oh - and welcome! Glad to have another former "lurker" (I was one for years) come forward and join the conversations!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2015, 07:40 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

When I started stamping back in 2005, pattern paper was not "IN".

I don't have a problem with cutting into my pattern paper. I look at the sheet, admire how Pretty it is, then I cut that baby up to make a Pretty card.:p

I must be in the minority. I don't hoard paper, I use it. But I have found that I MUST buy multiple sheets of a pattern paper I like,because I have that rare problem that I mess up when I cut, quite Often I might add.;)

Just cut into that pretty paper, it is such FUN!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been in the same frame of mind...but last year I stopped buying new stuff. All the sudden those treasured sheets of paper were "worth" cutting in to. I had held on to some for years. I cut into a sheet yesterday that was from 2009. Yep, I held it for six years. That's a long time to have an attachment to a single sheet of paper. I no longer feel a project has to be "worthy" of a simple sheet of paper. I'm finding letting go of those constrictions have led to a lot of creativity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I make most of my cards in A2 size, and usually layer the patterned paper with a solid 1/8" border.

I also usually make at least 4 cards of one design, so I cut my 12 x 12 piece of patterned paper into 4 pieces that measure 4 x 5-1/4, then cut the solid color cardstock coordinating pieces at 4-1/4 x 5-1/2. There is only a small strip of patterned paper left that way, so I don't feel like I am "wasting" it.

I do understand your feelings though. When I look at an especially pretty piece, I always have this irrational conversation going on in my head: "If I use this pretty paper, then I won't have it anymore. But, you dummy, you bought it to use it."

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

I eeally didn't know how to "use" the DSP. So like another poster said, I just copied some cards here from the galleries. I find it very had to use up a 12x12 piece of paper!
Here are a couple of cards from my gallery which will get you started:
CCC15 FEB Group Christmas Thank You by stampindoe - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
SUO, CCC13 NOV Holiday Thyme #2 by stampindoe - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
SUO CCC12 July Card by stampindoe - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Happy stampin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I took a great class at online card classes that really helped me understand patterned paper. Once I understood how to look at design elements of the paper, I began using it more. Pattern Play is the name of the class.

Online Card Classes - workshops and classes for cardmakers

This thread makes me realize that I haven't been using much paper lately. I need to rewatch some of the videos from that class and get inspired again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm a reformed Paper HOarder LOL. After purging all the paper I knew I'd never use for projects, envelopes, or test designs, I put myself on a restriction of not buying any new scrapbook paper for 1 year. I was really good and didn't buy any 12x12 until Christams as I actually needed it. I can't give you design help but during the year of self-imposed paper buying restriction I used a lot of my DSP. I'll list what I did below but the gist of my change was releasing guilt.

I find great joy in using up paper. So let the fear go and give yourself permission to make mistakes. You can only learn by trying so if you try to make something and it didn't work out then you can be satisfied knowing that you learned how "not" to use the paper. There are a gazillion designs available to give you ideas but first you have to willing to make the cuts. Just do it, it really does get easier after awhile. :p
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #16  
    Glitter Guru

Received 809 Likes on 530 Posts

I struggle with the whole "should I cut this pretty piece of paper" too.....

Then I started thinking about it along the lines of how people don't use their "good" dishes or wear their "good" clothes; they save them for a "special day".

I say, use the good paper, use the good dishes and wear the good clothes and enjoy yourself :p
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #17  
    Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,913 Likes on 2,182 Posts

I was like that, only it was with 6x6 paper pads! I would buy three of the same because it was so pretty. Now I have a crateful but I'm using it up!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #18  
    Crimping Master

The world will not end when you make that first cut! For some reason I got away from using patterned paper on my cards the last couple of years-this year I'm trying to use it more. It's always good for lining envelopes too. I ruthlessly purged a bunch several years ago and always try to work out of my now smallish and much more manageable stash.
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #19  
    Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

use sketch challenges to help you use the dp, there are so many different sketches out there (pinterest!!) you will be using the paper up in no time! Also the dp is great for lining envelopes or making an envelope.
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-05-2015, 03:37 AM   #20  
    Insane Embellisher

my crafty friends and I were talking about this very thing yesterday. We have hoarded so much paper and keep on buying more. Someone brought up the fact that there will always be more pretty paper to buy, so use what you have, cut into it fearlessly, and enjoy whatever it is you make with it.

But that's scary sometimes, LOL

MY BLOG
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #21  
    Compulsive Stamper

I have to keep repeating over and over in my head that it's only paper!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #22  
    Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I separate my papers into cool, really cool and "arghghghggh this is so gorgeous it was created by design angels and must stay intact." If I'm just doing an everyday project, I shop those papers in the first two categories. Special projects get the best papers consideration. I also use huge favorites for smaller areas or die cuts, to get the most mileage from them.

I take pics of every project so I can remember what I loved about those patterns or the color combo, which helps me let things go.

And for those Even More Incredible 12x12s :p I bought a bunch of cheap canvases and Mod Podge and intend to distress them. paste them to canvas and turn them into wall art. Can you imagine a row of 6 or 9 of your favorites?! I can't wait to do it. I will have enough to change them out each season, too.
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #23  
    TJM
    Cardstock Collector

Thanks for all the feedback! I now have some awesome starting pointers! I'm going to work on the letting go of guilt and am excited to see some projects with the pretty paper. Then I will have to share some pictures!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #24  
    Pearl-ExPert

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I started with this "hobby" back in 1999. I still have some paper from that period. I just couldn't seem to part with all the pretty stuff. And then, I laid awake one night & had this horrible epiphany. I'm getting older as I speak & I might die without using all that gorgeous paper. And, someone might just throw it away. AAaaack! I have NO problem using up my paper now. Or any of my other lovely supplies. Like ink.
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #25  
    Pearl-ExPert

There will always be more paper! I'm pretty frugal and so I would have to take deep breaths when my daughter would take some lovely paper and cut a shape right out of the middle of it. Then I realized that that's what it is for - to be used. You can always buy more!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-09-2015, 06:53 AM   #26  
    Kookie Creator

I do that with grapic45 paper, I'm still not sure what to do with it or cut them apart.
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #27  
    Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
    And then, I laid awake one night & had this horrible epiphany. I'm getting older as I speak & I might die without using all that gorgeous paper. And, someone might just throw it away. AAaaack! I have NO problem using up my paper now. Or any of my other lovely supplies. Like ink.
    I have to tell you. That's what did it for me. I know that no one will have the respect with that paper like I do after I'm gone. I have an illness and I am making scrapbooks and memory books for my girls, friends and mostly my grand kids. I know if something happens before I use it, it will most likely end up in the dumpster.... although my daughter knows how much I have spent on my paper and paper crafting stuff. She'd have a blow out sale for me instead of trashing it....lol I still want to use it all up.

We are getting ready to move and I have HUGE plans for using it all up (as soon as we find a place. I can't wait until we get moved so I can get back to it. I know that my paper is packed safely, but I just want to play with it.

I love my graphic 45 paper too and I have some stacks that I haven't touched yet. I have finally figured out what I want to do with them now they are packed....agh!! lol I have made sure that I have done some sketches so I won't forget the ideas I have. I can't wait!!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-11-2015, 04:53 AM   #28  
    Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
    Proud Fan Club Member

Received 345 Likes on 218 Posts

You could try doing the sketch challenge each week. If you print out the sketch, you can measure the size of the pieces and then you will know how big a piece to cut. Some of the sketches have very complex designs. Also, if the paper is from the same line or pad of a company, the patterns will go together easily. You also could set a goal like to make 10 cards for Cards for a Cause or a charity in your town, and then you would have something to shoot for. Good luck and have fun!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-11-2015, 06:08 AM   #29  
    Rubber Obsessor

Oh...do I understand what you mean, and empathize! I have one paper pack - it's Graphic 45 that is no longer produced. I adore this paper...and I don't want to use it up because I know there will never be any more of it.......

I believe I've become a bit mentally unbalanced about it...because, after all, isn't the reason I bought it in the first place to USE it??? It isn't doing anyone any good sitting in my stash...:rolleyes:
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #30  
    Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Jansy, photo copy a few sheets of your favorite paper for use, and then you will always have it!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #31  
    Rubber Obsessor

Now why didn't I think of that?? Brilliant!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #32  
    Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Welcome and keep posting!

I was WORSE than you. I wouldnt use good quality white paper. I had to do drafts on copy paper first. My teachers laughed at me and kept saying "It's just paper". I still hear that in my head years later. To me, if I was paying for it, it was special.

How many people get into this ridiculous discussion with yourself....

I need paper for this card...there isnt any good stuff....
    Yes there is-that over there....
    No! I cant use that! I am saving that for something SPECIAL....
    Oh? Because your DAUGHTER'S WEDDING* isnt special enough???
    Well, yeah but.....

(*Or whatever fits your storyline)

You can cut out a piece of the pattern and save it, and then use a bunch to make a collage page in a journal called "My favorite DPs" It could be a hoot over the years to see how your taste changes!

You can use it to make YOURSELF (omg what a concept making for oneself! lol) beautiful stationary. You deserve pretty things too!

I am into making full cover strip cards right now. So I use up my scraps, even the little ones for corners. I need DP for that. So I am thrilled to have pretty scraps.

What are you doing? Using solids all the time? no no no...

You know that song from the Madagascar movie "I like to move it"? Well you've "got to use it use it!"

If you dont: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdcTmpvDO0I
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #33  
    Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPowerView Post
    I've been in the same frame of mind...but last year I stopped buying new stuff. All the sudden those treasured sheets of paper were "worth" cutting in to. I had held on to some for years. I cut into a sheet yesterday that was from 2009. Yep, I held it for six years. That's a long time to have an attachment to a single sheet of paper. I no longer feel a project has to be "worthy" of a simple sheet of paper. I'm finding letting go of those constrictions have led to a lot of creativity.
    Instead of thinking a project has to be "worth" it, think that all your projects are "worth it" as are those that you are sending them to. What is more worthy than the project you are presently doing?
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-12-2015, 07:29 AM   #34  
    Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to be hesitant too. I started by using scraps that a friend was going to throw away. Then I started to use full sheets of UGLY paper, and that's when I found out that one sheet of 12 x 12 lasts forever. I started to use pretty patterned paper finally. Finally I lost my fear of using it because it seems to me that no matter how much I cut from a sheet, it expands and stays the same size, because it lasts and lasts and lasts! On the rare occasion when I actually finish using a sheet, I am shocked, and I think back to when I first acquired it, and usually it has been two or three years!!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #35  
    Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
    Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 509 Likes on 229 Posts

As simple as I like to go, I had a hard time "finding paper I like" in my stash. I had cut my 12 x 12 into 6 x 6 and stored in a basket by color. I had a few purchased 6 x 6 pads and they were in there too. Still wasn't using it.

I rearranged that paper last week...by pattern. I find that I like graph paper, polka dots, stripes, and chevrons. Almost every piece I had fit one of those categories. Just a few that are kind of "distress" looking. I kept the christmas pad intact as christmas papers. Hopefully now I will dig in and use it!
    I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
    in awe of the One who gave it all.
    I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
    all I am is Yours.
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #36  
    Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

That's true Sophie! A 12 x 12 will do a lot of cards...so maybe knowing that will help TJM brave making the first cut It isnt like if you do one that's it-you cant use it for lots of other things still. The only thing a cut will do is keeping from using it whole as a scrapbook page and TJM says she doesnt scrapbook so that isnt a concern.
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #37  
    Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
    As simple as I like to go, I had a hard time "finding paper I like" in my stash. I had cut my 12 x 12 into 6 x 6 and stored in a basket by color. I had a few purchased 6 x 6 pads and they were in there too. Still wasn't using it.

I rearranged that paper last week...by pattern. I find that I like graph paper, polka dots, stripes, and chevrons. Almost every piece I had fit one of those categories. Just a few that are kind of "distress" looking. I kept the christmas pad intact as christmas papers. Hopefully now I will dig in and use it!
    I like the same style paper as you do. I don't purchase packs and have very little actual "Designer Paper" I do have some interesting wall paper samples and catalog pages showing carpets. The 12x12 paper I have was mostly given to me and I find myself using it every now and then. Your method of categorizing intrigues me!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-12-2015, 03:19 PM   #38  
    Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeachybabyView Post
    Jansy, photo copy a few sheets of your favorite paper for use, and then you will always have it!
    And/or scan or photograph your cards. Up load them here or save on your computer and you can always look back on the great card you made!

Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #39  
    Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to have trouble cutting my paper too. I hoarded it quite badly. Especially when I got packs of paper rather than individual sheets. I wanted to 'save' them for Scrapbooking rather than using them for cards. And I save my favourite and expensive embellies for larger projects that will be saved rather than cards which I give away.

I finally decided to get over myself. I mean really! Can a stash keep growing and I still never use anything? And once I got hold of 6x6 paper packs, I really started using things up. I now have a long-standing resolution to use up stuff when ever the whim comes over me. There's always another gorgeous paper or embellie coming down the line and then the old stuff doesn't have the same charm.

JUST DO IT!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 03-19-2015, 12:02 AM   #40  
    Matboard Maniac

Honestly: I love to cut most of my papers :mrgreen:
    Sometimes I just cut it in pieces because I like to do that. Bad girl, I know.
    I've got an other problem: Most of the designerpapers have two sides.
    Can you imagine my dilemma?
    Which side do I use?
    And why THIS side and not the other?
    Can i really, I mean REALLY put glue on THIS side?
    Why not the other?
    Mostly I decide to decide tomorrow :rolleyes:

Next problem: I bought paper with just one printed side.
    A lot of, because... you know.
    I even didn't cut it because it is just printet on one side :lol: it is not that funny.

I'm using no-designerpaper, that helps.
    And I hope with your help I'll be able to put some glue on one side :-D

And yes, yes, yes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
    Welcome and keep posting!
    I need paper for this card...there isnt any good stuff....
    Yes there is-that over there....
    No! I cant use that! I am saving that for something SPECIAL....
    Oh? Because your DAUGHTER'S WEDDING* isnt special enough???
    Well, yeah but.....

(*Or whatever fits your storyline)
    This is SO true! :lol:
    I stopped to tell myself I have to use this and that... I just buy it and keep it, because I like it. And because I like to own it.
    I've got many, many plants that I don't eat.
    I do have pet's I don't eat, too. So why shall I use my loved paper? (Or whatever, it isn't just paper)
    I keep it withuout thinking "you should...." and one day maybe I'll use it for whatever.
    Reply With Quote Likes