Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Demos please share your stories and insights

Hi Ladies-

I am considering becoming a demo....yet again. It seems like every time I think about it, I scare myself off. My situation is this...I have been stamping since July probably spend $25/mo myself but sometimes more. I really enjoy it. One of my reasons for becoming a demo is to bring in extra$$, not just enough to support my habit.

So what I really am hoping for is some stories from people on how they started and how they grew their business...on purpose or on accident. Is it reasonable to hope to use this as a way to make extra money if I can't count on myself for the $300/mo minimum? HOW did you all build up your customer base? How long did it take before you saw much success with bringing in more money than just realizing the benefits from the discount?
Basically I would love to hear as much as your willing to share, good and bad, about your experiences?

Thanks so much!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I signed up last August. I am now almost even (meaning I've made back what I spent on the starter kit) - of course, I've also spent it right back because there was stuff I wanted :}
I started out with one customer. I mentioned what I did to EVERYONE. I sent an e-mail to EVERYONE I know and then some! LOL. I still mention what I do to everyone who shows the SLIGHTEST interest. It's worked out well so far
PM me if you have any questions
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I would love to PM you but have never done it before:(...

So you started with one customer last August, how many do you have now? Also, does that mean that you have only made $200 profit since August? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Oh no! LOL I have about 14 in my Customer Manager now I also have made more than $200 :P But I've spent it back in product :} LOL I LOVE SU too much sometimes (or my DH says so...) If my records are correct, I had broken even in December - I know because of when I did my taxes... Now I'm making pure profit. The key is to tell ANYONE and EVERYONE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Oh and to send me a PM, click on my name and you should get a drop down box. One of the options is to send a private message. Click that and from there it's pretty much like sending an e-mail.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

That is a relief!!! I was a little worried when I thought you had only made $200 since August!! Have the 14 customers been only through what you have done your self or have some of your customers brought you new customers? Thanks for responding...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Actually, the first one brought me hardly any customers - in fact she doesn't even order anymore :} I have a friend who has told everyone she knows that they can order through me. Her MIL started ordering, then 2 ladies from her MIL office started ordering, etc. So I guess the answer would be that my customers have brought me more customers....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I have been a demo 5 years ago. I was a hostess before that and hosted 2 events a year. I had done that for a few years, so I had several friends that were into stamping already. When I signed up I talked three different friends (one from the neighborhood, one from my work, and one hometown friend) who did not know each other, so they would know different people, into having workshops for me within the first three months of signing up. And things just grew from there.

Originally I planned (after talking to my husband) to have one event a month. That was my goal. Now some months I would have more, and some less. I then switched to having events only one month a quarter, but 2-3 events in that month. Made planning events easier. Later I added in stamp camps. My business fluxuates. I have only one workshop planned this quarter and a retirement stamp camp in June. But in Jan/Feb I rocked with $3000 worth of sales! And this quarter my goal is simply $300. It depends on my life. What is waht is great about SU. Your business is yours to control.

To meet the $300 I would recommend having 2 workshops a quarter. So if you have 2 friends that would help you get started that would help.

I originally signed up as I thought I wanted to get the 20% instead of giving it to my demo. A discount to my stamping addiction. I did not "break even" the first two years. Meaning I spent more than I made...but I still did not spend as much as when I was a hostess, since I got the discount. Now I make money each year, even better than "breaking even". I am not a top demo, and never plan to be. But it is fun, and social!

Best of luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2007, 05:11 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Does anyone else have anything that they could share with me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2007, 07:34 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Smile

My upline told me that I get out of it what I put into it. I think others will agree.

So, if you work it, you will reap the rewards. Starting any business is not easy, it just depends on where your passion is. If you are passionate about what you do then you will do well.

Passionate may be too strong of a word, maybe enthusiastic or excited are better words.

I liked what Amy said about not wanting to give her demo the 20% anymore.

I've been a demo for 2 years now. The first year I wasn't able to work it like I would have liked, but I have been working it more this last year and I am feeling good about my success. I have more work to do, and I am glad I finally made the leap. I was a lot like you, I considered signing up several times, but never followed through because I had talked myself out of it.

You could definately generate excitement before you even sign up by talking to your friends & asking them if they'd be willing to host a workshop for you IF you signed up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2007, 07:59 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your success in making significant income by being a demonstrator will depend on a variety of things, including:
  1. Your internal motivation/drive and dedication
  2. Your ability to work well with people
  3. Your location
  4. How far you are willing to travel
  5. The demographics of your location--how much expendible income people have in your area makes a difference
  6. Your willingness to recruit others into your downline and train them
  7. The saturation of demonstrators in your location
  8. Your sense of how to operate and run a business in profit mode
It is MHO, that not everyone, in every location, in every circumstance, can make significant income. Like any business, you will have to work hard. In some cases, very hard. But, there are no guarantees.

I did very well in one location my first 5 years, and then moved to another, where, despite my best efforts to rebuild, I couldn't reap even half the income I had in the previous location. In the first location, I averaged 2-3 workshops per week. In the 2nd, I found myself lucky if I could get 1-2 per month booked.

I officially tendered my resignation after marking my 10th year.

If you're considering signing up for the discount, or to simply cover all the product you want with income made by selling to a few others, by all means, sign up; it's worth it!

If you're looking to reap "significant" income from it, do your homework; it may or may not be a feasible method for you, after considering all the factors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

I think that Julie, as always, give excellent advice. The other posters gave good advice as well. I know that some people do really well, and others like myself, never get it off the ground.

I also think that the margins are really small. After marketing materials and time and material for make and takes, there isn't alot left over. If you want to make an income you have to go for volume.

I am very glad I took the chance. Sometimes knowing something is not for you is better than wondering KWIM? If you can afford the risk, go for it, if not a part time job may be a safer route to extra income.
Reply With Quote Likes