Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   do you sell your cards? what do you charge? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/do-you-sell-your-cards-what-do-you-charge-315593/)

Tracyg 01-15-2008 09:30 AM

do you sell your cards? what do you charge?

I have been asked to make up sets of like 10 cards to sell for a fundraiser for my church. ....any thoughts?
they would supply the 'consumables' like paper and adhesive I guess, it's still in the works right now.....any advice? thoughts? yowza, the whole thing seems a little overwhelming.
tracyg

sprtchick 01-15-2008 09:47 AM

I have generally charged $2.00 to $2.50 each. I have now started to charge $3.00 each and they still sell like hotcakes. In November & December I made just under $2000. I hope to make even more a month now with the slight incrrease in price. Good luck!

stitchinstampin 01-15-2008 11:12 AM

With putting your cards in sets..........which I have done............I wrap them with raffia.........and normally get $18.00 for a set of 6...........

so with a set of ten...........I'd put $30.00...........

Lori

AMCreations 01-16-2008 07:37 PM

When I create packages of cards for silent auction at church, I estimate approximately $2-$3 per card and that gives them a starting point for the silent auction bidding to start.

palval77 01-16-2008 07:44 PM

$2 ea or 3 for $5 unless it's a special made one or item.

happystamper62 01-19-2008 05:24 PM

I sell individual cards for $4.50 each or Buy Three Get One Free. I sell packages of eight cards for $16...this is only for sets of all the same cards with not a ton of embellishments or layers.

Jen Guarino 01-19-2008 05:44 PM

including envies I charge $2-$3 each depending on number of layers, embellies and time spent. My best advise is don't sell yourself short :)

luvtostampstampstamp 01-30-2008 10:27 AM

Another new question...what about sales tax? I am not a demo or in any other business so I don't already have something set up for this. I realize if you sell in a shop they collect/report it for you, but when you sell on your own how does it work? Or do you just report what you sell as extra income?

TIA!

tmac96 01-30-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchick (Post 8364349)
...In November & December I made just under $2000. I hope to make even more a month now with the slight incrrease in price. Good luck!

$2000 -- YOWZA! Where are you ladies selling your cards?! Seriously -- would you mind sharing? I was going to open an Etsy shop but I am looking into alternatives. I'd be ecstatic to make 1/10 that! :-)

luvtostampstampstamp 01-30-2008 01:18 PM

Me too, LOL!

paris062 01-30-2008 01:40 PM

WOW!!!! $2K. I am constantly telling my DH if only someone would pay to do this all day!!!!! I would definitely be interested in knowing how/where people sell their cards. Online, craft show, retail shop, etc. How do you decide what will sell and what won't? I have been contemplating this for some time but have not found enough information to take the plunge!

sprtchick 01-30-2008 03:06 PM

These cards in Nov & Dec were ALL sold at the one of the local high schools. My son took some to show a teacher and before I knew it I was selling them like hotcakes. I will get lots more sales there too. My hubby also keeps a box of all different kinds on his desk and it is not unusual for him to bring home upwards of $75.00 a day from them. Some days good some days not but it is all extra $$$ in my book. I use it for supplies and postage for all the cards I send off to the soldiers.

curias 01-30-2008 07:27 PM

I sell my cards at a consignment based shop of Designers for $6 each and I get $4. And I sell them to friends for $5. I figure people pay that at Hallmark, why not for a handmade card. And if I am selling them for that price, I'm not spending a lot of time making them. I have my card sketches and I get in the zone a create a way. The cards that take me a while to create go to friend's and family.

bubblegum girl 01-30-2008 08:08 PM

im going to sell mine at the shop Mom's cousin owns. I will be selling them for $4 and Bev take 25% so i get a take home of $3. Can i ask what styles sell best?

godchick 01-30-2008 09:02 PM

I sell mine for $2.50 each (including envie). A little more if it's a super neat-o card...as in special effects, technique, 3D, etc.

monkeymama 02-02-2008 01:23 PM

Hey, folks! So glad to see this thread---I asked the same question and got very little response. Was really disappointed!

Clownmom 02-02-2008 01:28 PM

I charge $3.00 a card, unless it's really fancy. I don't aggressively try to sell them, but at Christmas I sold a bunch!

bubblegum girl 02-02-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeymama (Post 8626853)
Hey, folks! So glad to see this thread---I asked the same question and got very little response. Was really disappointed!

Don be disappointed, alot of time unless its seen right away a new thread egts pushed to the back of new posts, new threads etc. the best way to get responses is to make sure you bump your thread to the top.

sf9erfan 02-02-2008 01:39 PM

I sell mine $4 each or $3.50 if buying 5 or more. I also sell gift sets which are 5 coordinating cards for $15, these are a simplier design.

I sell mine through my sister's work. She works for a big attorney firm and they have an online classifieds site. Other than that, I did a booth at my mom's group's annual craft fair.

Amber, good for you making around $2000!! Holy smokes, I thought I was doing good selling around $400 in December!!

valmin 02-02-2008 03:25 PM

I too would like to know what type of card sells best.

stampin_heather 02-02-2008 03:30 PM

I have a bunch of blank, general purpose cards I keep at work. They sell for $3 each or 4 for $10. I recently put some $1 and $2 cards in the mix. Super simple, one or two layers. That got more people to come by, then they get hooked on the more expensive ones. Good luck!

monkeymama 02-02-2008 03:32 PM

Thanks, bubblegum girl, for the suggestion! How to you bump your thread to the top?

luvtostampstampstamp 02-02-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeymama (Post 8628386)
Thanks, bubblegum girl, for the suggestion! How to you bump your thread to the top?

By typing "BUMP" in a post by itself.

luvtostampstampstamp 02-02-2008 03:43 PM

BUMP=bump up my post

or you can put "BTT" which means "back to top"

beckaroni 02-02-2008 03:45 PM

great to know.

That's good to know that I could sell my cards since I enjoy making them so much. I may try my hand at selling them some day.

Jenmouer 02-03-2008 05:49 AM

If you do a search of the boards = put in Selling cards...there should be a bunch of threads that pop up...

a basic rule of thumb is cost + 2-3X's your cost...of course that depends on your area and who you are selling them too...

Personally I price mine at $2.50/each or 6 for $10....but then again I live in an area where most people will look at cards - say they are nice and then mutter "I can get cards at the Dollar Tree for $1"

I keep a flat rate no matter what the card...it just makes it easier that way - i have some plain simple cards and some that are really embellished...in the end it all evens out (i.e. some cost me .30 in materials...others may cost $1 in materials...)

As far as people providing you with CS and adhesive to make cards I would be a little leery - only because sometimes people will go buy cheap cardstock and crappy adhesive - if I am going to have my name associated with something made I would want it to be with good materials and not potentionally fall apart...especially if this is an activity that you might be able to score some potential customers...