Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Do you have a problem making ALL your Christmas cards identical? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/do-you-have-problem-making-all-your-christmas-cards-identical-402841/)

MollyStamps 12-07-2008 09:18 AM

Do you have a problem making ALL your Christmas cards identical?

...with the same design, same image, same pps and sentiment? I just can't mass produce them like this - get bored doing it. Maybe I have too many Holiday stamps I want to use - too many options. Or just maybe I'm trying to make them too involved. I've got to get busy - I've made just TWO!

Molly

sweetiepeas 12-07-2008 09:22 AM

Try doing 5 of each design or split up the number you need and do different ones.

I do stamp classes so I get enough variety with that. So I have no problem doing 20 or 30 of one design.

Chipper 12-07-2008 09:36 AM

Not at all. I'll make 20 with one set and 20 with another set. The first year that I made Christmas cards, they were so detailed!!! Never again, because I thought I'd never get them finished.

STAMPINGODDESS 12-07-2008 09:38 AM

Nope, I have no problem. Every year I make about 80 holiday cards all alike. For me, coming up with multiple ideas takes more time in the long run. This being said, I do admit that some of the steps involoved in mass producing 80 cards can get tedious and/or boring- like all of the color I did this year (spend 2 nights just coloring the same image over and over and over...)

swain78 12-07-2008 09:41 AM

The last few years, I averaged about 10 of each style, I too didn't like having to do so many of the same card, over and over again! This year, I am only doing two styles, and that is only because I absolutley love the first two cards that I made, so even though it is a little monotonus (sp?), I decided it was ok. Plus I have to make cards for my daughter to take to school, and for my husband to send for his business, so I will be able to break in all of my new sets by the time I have finished : )

SusieMuslie68 12-07-2008 10:11 AM

I'm one of those who can't make more that 2 of the same card. I do variations on a theme and then change to something different altogether. I love the challenge of doing different things. The most I do ever is 50 or more, if I get an order, of one type of card for someone, then I have to do it, but it isn't my preference.

Ruby-dooby-doo 12-07-2008 10:12 AM

I only make about a dozen of the same cards - for my immediate family and close friends. And that's only because they all usually get to see the cards I'm selling which are all one-offs, so by the time I get round to making my family cards my inspiration is spent!

Paper Kissy 12-07-2008 10:17 AM

I'm going to take part in the challenge starting in January and make 10 each month.

Erin

Menolly13 12-07-2008 10:50 AM

I get bored doing multiples of the same card, so I usually only do a few and switch to a different design. This year, I haven't made any duplicates yet. I have at least 20 different cards ready to go, with more to come. For me, making duplicates is like work, where as making singles is fun.

Cook22 12-07-2008 10:54 AM

I'd get bored with more than ten of a design. This year I've managed to make about 30 through the various weekly challenges, so I don't have all that many left to go!

craftjunkiesc 12-07-2008 11:08 AM

I don't mind mass-producing cards. For the past few years, I've chosen 3-4 designs and made 15-20 of each design. Since I don't "date" them til I actually sign them, I can use any left-overs the next year. (And I always have left-overs!)

jtax 12-07-2008 11:10 AM

I usually only do one design. Last year I had already done most of mine and then signed up as an SU! demo. I thought I really should use SU! products, so I then designed a second card.

cnsteele 12-07-2008 11:21 AM

Oh YES! I make about 40 cards each year and every single one is different. Because of the time involved, I take a no-pressure approach. I begin in early November, and use sketch challenges as my starting point. I have new Christmas stamps every year so that is also very motivating and inspiring. When early December rolls around, I pull out my Christmas card list from the previous year and compare it to the number of cards I've actually made. Then I begin seeing who "makes the cut". If I've made 50 cards, then 50 will get sent out. If I've made 10, then only 10 will get sent out.

I just cannot make more than one of a card, though. There are too many ways to use my crafting supplies!

smitty2004 12-07-2008 11:24 AM

i make each and every card different! i made 52 last year and NONE were the same!

cardsbynikki 12-07-2008 11:53 AM

This was my first year doing the same card sketch for all my cards (I might - maybe, small possibility get brave enough to upload in the next, um, decade?) and it was better than I thought. I did 60. But, they had some different paper, backgrounds, images, etc, it just the same sketch. Usually I would do 5 or 6 different sketches, doing 10 of each, but I ran out of time this year and had to get them done. The worst was cutting out 5 Nesties per card. I didn't think I'd get all 300 cut, but I did in about 3 days. I think I would've gotten bored, though, with the same paper and image and background.

momis mama 12-07-2008 12:16 PM

<-------- makes LOTS of different designs!

i'd get too bored if i tried to make them all the same.

Mrsjvb 12-07-2008 12:58 PM

in years past, I woudl make one design..and it would be done in stages over several weeks or months. the first card I ever made used that old SU! snowflake punch. By the time I finished punching out 50 of them suckers, I was ready to declare myself mentally unsound, but the rest of the design was done in stages..I'd do maybe ten at a time of each stage so I wasn't overwhelmed. there was embossing involved and a few other layers.

This year I ended up doing a holiday card SBS and THAT was a blast.. In one day I did 20 cards, more than half of what I needed and I already had a few done from earlier challenges or fits of inspiration that I was able to sit down down the Friday after thanksgiving and address them all.

This year I am doing the monthly challenge, and I cannot wait. One, I will end up with several different designs, which thrills me. two I won't get overwhelmed or bored even if I end up using the same couple of sets three or four different ways.

thecountryrose 12-07-2008 01:12 PM

For my hubby's business I make them all the same and yes, that does get tedious :). For our personal ones, I make them all different because I do get bored making the same card over and over :D.

squirrellyshirley 12-07-2008 01:17 PM

YES....I get very bored after just 2-3 of the same thing. I do lots of designs.....sometimes 1 of each.....sometimes 2 or 3, never more than 5 and then that depends on my supplies.

I have VERY limited supplies and buy the SU assorted packs of paper. Which means, if I make more than 1 or 2 of one card, I run the risk of using up all that color!! Same with ribbon and other embellishments. So I like to vary the color schemes, ribbon, etc.

missiowa81 12-07-2008 01:25 PM

I make a variety of cards. I don't normally make more than 4-5 of the same card before I'm ready to move on to something else.

RiverIsis 12-07-2008 01:32 PM

I'm in the process of making about 110 cards nearly the same. I've broken it up in stages so no sweat.

I started off making different cards for different people but that was really time consuming AND I never could remember what I sent the previous year. Now I know what I sent so life is good! :mrgreen:

MilwaukeeMommy 12-07-2008 01:32 PM

I detest duplicating cards, it is so painful for me. I was proud I made *2* the same the other day!! LOL!!

lauraos 12-07-2008 01:59 PM

Nope, no problem at all for me. I'm making 75 right now, exactly the same. Doing it the mass production way, I can jump from stage to stage if I get bored. But honestly, there's something very calming about the repetition.
I'm just getting ready to start a card order for 150 (!) of the same card. You get used to it after a while.

Laura

pidgesmom 12-07-2008 02:05 PM

I mail about 50 cards a year and they're all the same so everyone starts on equal ground. If I made different ones I'm sure I'd have favorites and I'd have to decide who gets what. I also then can remember from year to year what I have sent.

I also make about 20 Christmas Thank You cards, most of them very simple as I work in a school and they're mostly for students who have brought in gifts for the office.

If I'm giving a special gift, then I will try to make a special card to go with it. That's the fun part - matching the card with the gift.

LateBlossom 12-07-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menolly13 (Post 12297616)
I get bored doing multiples of the same card, so I usually only do a few and switch to a different design. This year, I haven't made any duplicates yet. I have at least 20 different cards ready to go, with more to come. For me, making duplicates is like work, where as making singles is fun.

ITA!

jkincolorado 12-07-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MollyStamps (Post 12297109)
...with the same design, same image, same pps and sentiment? I just can't mass produce them like this - get bored doing it. Maybe I have too many Holiday stamps I want to use - too many options. Or just maybe I'm trying to make them too involved. I've got to get busy - I've made just TWO!

Molly

YES!! I like variety.

I participated in a monthly challenge this year with friends. We made 5 cards a month starting in January. Not only did I get all my cards made ahead of time, I had the chance to be creative and make all different cards. I *highly* recommend it! :D

MollyStamps 12-07-2008 02:44 PM

Coming back on here and happily reading all the responses! I guess it's running about half and half - half like me - half with no problem turning out a bunch all alike. I've made 2 more cards (lol). Going to try the same design, just varying the pps. Hopefully I'll finish in 10 days. Thanks for sharing what you do!

Molly

jennik 12-07-2008 03:55 PM

Thought I would add my 2 cents!! :) I make about 12 in one design and then change it up. I get bored with the same old thing. :)
JHMO
Jennik

angelinoregon 12-07-2008 04:02 PM

i'm with you. i get bored doing the same design repeatedly. also, i always wait too long and really feel the pressure of getting them done in time. for 2009 my goal is to make 4 christmas cards for 10 months (total of 40). even if i make 4 of the same each month, i know i'll be more focused. the hard part will be deciding who gets which card.

angelinoregon 12-07-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftjunkiesc (Post 12297734)
I don't mind mass-producing cards. For the past few years, I've chosen 3-4 designs and made 15-20 of each design. Since I don't "date" them til I actually sign them, I can use any left-overs the next year. (And I always have left-overs!)

great idea on not dating the cards. i'm going to remember that.

MaryAnnK 12-07-2008 04:19 PM

I do about 45 identical cards each year. I don't have a problem doing it. I get my prototype made and then set it up as an assembly line. And I take lots of breaks.

deipara 12-07-2008 04:25 PM

I make multiple copies of the same card - this year I did 4 designs of 12 cards each.

It got tedious at times, but it went fairly quickly. I tried to design and choose cards (out of the designs) that weren't too intricate.

javagirl984 12-07-2008 04:27 PM

I just finished making 100 cards; 50 of each design for someone my sister works with. She paid me well to make them and this is my first experience with making that many at once. Pheww!!! I can definately say I like to mix it up. Unless I am getting paid. LOL!! I am hoping to have some time this week to make my Christmas cards. I will probably make 2 to 3 of each design and keep them simple. But that is my limit. I get bored easily as well.

Minders 12-07-2008 04:27 PM

YES. I have way too many sets and there are way too many fabu ideas on here to make just ONE design. I started in October and tried to make a few different designs each week. I always make 4 at a time. Sometimes more than one design a night...sometimes none at all. But if I split it up like that, by this time I have like 70+ cards done in all sorts of pretty designs! And I get to use a lot of my sets! One design is just too boring:-)

Kimberli 12-07-2008 04:30 PM

I made 20 of 3 different designs this year. They were mailed the day before Thanksgiving, so I am done! Now I can concentrate on the last bit of Christmas shopping. LOL!

bobkitten 12-07-2008 05:44 PM

Yes, I've made about 60 cards for the past 3 years. The first year they were all the same and I was SO sick of them; I wanted to cry by the time I got to the end. Last year I made just 2 or 3 of the same design at a time and I was working on them forever! This year I designed 3 different cards and made 20 of each. I hate to sound like Goldylocks, but it was "just right." I did the first 20 last June, the second batch in early October, and the final 20 were made last week.

dawndreger 12-07-2008 06:07 PM

Nope, that's too boring! LOL Besides, it means you need a ton of the same stuff, and that ends up costing more than using the variety of things I have on hand.

memaw2two 12-07-2008 06:10 PM

I made about 30 cards this year and not one of them are the same. I had a blast coming up with ideas and using up some of my stash.

isewquilts2 12-07-2008 06:20 PM

I made about 40 this year. They all used the same SU stamp set, the same DP, the same colors in cardstock and ink, the same embellishments. But none of them look alike; I moved and changed the positioning of the design elements within the card, removed something once in awhile, added something once in awhile. Some people get theirs in the mail, so I was limited to simple one/two layer cards with little embellishments (ie no brads and bling other than stickles); other cards will be hand delivered so I could add lots more stuff. So they all "sorta" look alike but aren't identical, YKWIM?

kittie747 12-07-2008 06:23 PM

I would rather slit my wrists than mass produce cards. I make all my cards during the daily challenges and they are all different and fun. I never feel stressed when I build up my card list that way.