Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Envelopes � cheaper to make your own?

I planned to make a trek out to my local Xpedx to buy some A2 envelopes, and then I found out that it closed down! I�m wondering if it�s cheaper for me to buy 60# paper and make my own, basic mailing envelopes, rather than ordering online and paying for shipping. I have envelope punch board so it should be mindless task. Michael�s has 65# cardstock so I can give that a try when I get the next 40% off coupon?

If not, where do you get bulk envelopes? I got 250 envies at XpedX for about $20 (total), so I am using that as my baseline.

Thanks!
-RF
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You'll just have to do the math. See how much a home made envelope will cost you and compare. Don't forget to factor in your time.

I buy my envelopes at Hollo's papercrafts in Brunswick, OH. They cost me about 4 or 5 cents each. I'm pretty sure they'll ship to you, but you'd have to check the cost. I'm lucky to live about 45 minutes away, but people come there from all over the country to stock up on inexpensive paper and envelopes. If you or a friend will be in the Cleveland area any time soon, it's well worth a detour. (IMO, their cardstock and envelope prices can't be beat. Their other stuff? You should know the going price before buying there or you could get taken.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfstampsView Post
I planned to make a trek out to my local Xpedx to buy some A2 envelopes, and then I found out that it closed down! I�m wondering if it�s cheaper for me to buy 60# paper and make my own, basic mailing envelopes, rather than ordering online and paying for shipping. I have envelope punch board so it should be mindless task. Michael�s has 65# cardstock so I can give that a try when I get the next 40% off coupon?

If not, where do you get bulk envelopes? I got 250 envies at XpedX for about $20 (total), so I am using that as my baseline.

Thanks!
-RF
I had the idea of doing that too, when I got the envelope punch. I decided even though it is pretty mindless, you still have to cut/trim lots of sheets of paper. Also, when your plain envelope is done, you have to apply some sort of adhesive to seal it.

I use my punch board a lot with the patterned paper from those large stack packs, to make pretty envelopes with the pattern inside. Some of the patterns are just not appropriate for making cards, but almost any pattern will make a nice envelope if you put it on the inside. I don't mind using my ATG gun to seal those when I send them.

But for everyday, plain white envelopes, I've been buying mine from Amazon. They are $7.45 for 100, with free shipping if you have Amazon Prime:

Amazon.com: invitation envelopes

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I had the idea of doing that too, when I got the envelope punch. I decided even though it is pretty mindless, you still have to cut/trim lots of sheets of paper. Also, when your plain envelope is done, you have to apply some sort of adhesive to seal it.

I use my punch board a lot with the patterned paper from those large stack packs, to make pretty envelopes with the pattern inside. Some of the patterns are just not appropriate for making cards, but almost any pattern will make a nice envelope if you put it on the inside. I don't mind using my ATG gun to seal those when I send them.

But for everyday, plain white envelopes, I've been buying mine from Amazon. They are $7.45 for 100, with free shipping if you have Amazon Prime:

Amazon.com: invitation envelopes

Thanks for the info. I just bought a "desperation " box at staples for a lot more than $8!!!!!!!

Jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Recollections envelopes at Michaels are nice and reasonable especially with a coupon. They are also on sale often.

Recollections� White Envelopes, 4.3" x 5.75"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

When staples runs a sale I get 100 for $5. They are good envelopes. I usually buy three or four boxes when I can find the sale. They don't advertise it so I just have to keep checking in when I am low.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

For regular everyday envelopes or business style envelopes, you wouldn't want to use card stock. You'd want to use copy paper. Feel the regular envelopes that you use to use.

Card stock gets weighty and expensive if you use a lot of envelopes, but I usually use cheap colored paper or plain white copy paper for just the envelopes. I stamp it to make it pretty but it's definitely cheaper and I use the paper for other things so it's really economical.

I would rather put the money into other craft supplies, heck even just adhesive.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I stopped in at staples today. Not only were the envelopes NOT on sale, they went up in price! They were $10.49 last time I looked and now they are $13.49!! Guess I'll use coupons at Michaels. They want $4.99 for 50 so if I can use 40% or 50% off, they'll be worth it then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 976 Likes on 665 Posts

I like to make envelopes to match special cards. However, if you live in the Twin Cities. Anchor Paper Co :: Express Stores sells boxes of 250 for around $15. At least that is what I paid a few months ago. I don't know if they ship.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I often make envelopes from calendar pages. I buy the 50 cent or $1 calendars at Michaels (very thin pages) and use them for cards I hand out. For mailing I use better calendars. I stick on a white label with address, so it will really show up.
Another great option is clear envelopes. They are Post Office approved, if you put postage on the outside. I slide in a piece of copy paper with the address on it, facing the back side of my card to that....then the Post Office workers can enjoy your creation, too!
You can buy clear envelopes on Ebay, and you even have the choice of sticky part on the flap or on the body of envelope (that makes it easier to slide the card back in with no sticking to the flap). Many listings on Ebay and the details vary, so you can be picky with just what you want. Good prices, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Another suggestion for anyone who has a Hobby Lobby close by:

This week, they have all their Paper Studio items on sale for 50% off - it's a sale that they run fairly often. A pack of 100 A2 envelopes is normally $12.99, but 50% off makes it $6.50. The packs of 100 don't show on their website, but they're available in my local store, and I can't imagine that my store would be the only one that carries them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you! I didn't know clear envelopes are an option for mailing. They are much cheaper too!

-RF
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I buy my A2 envelopes from envelopes.com. They are good quality and I order once a year. They have good service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 976 Likes on 665 Posts

the post office charged me extra postage when I use the clear envelopes. They told me it was because they can't run through the machine and need to be hand stamped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyjView Post
the post office charged me extra postage when I use the clear envelopes. They told me it was because they can't run through the machine and need to be hand stamped.
That is correct. Here is the latest info I found from USPS about "nonmachinable characteristics". This means the envelope cannot go through the sorting machines and must be hand cancelled, and thus you will pay the nonmachinable surcharge:

"Nonmachinable Criteria
[6-2-14] A letter-size piece is nonmachinable if it has one or more of the following characteristics (see 601.1.1.2 to determine the length, height, top, and bottom of a mailpiece):

a. Has an aspect ratio (length divided by height) of less than 1.3 or more than 2.5.
b. Is polybagged, polywrapped, enclosed in any plastic material, or has an exterior surface made of a material that is not paper. Windows in envelopes made of paper do not make mailpieces nonmachinable. Attachments allowable under applicable eligibility standards do not make mailpieces nonmachinable.
c. Has clasps, strings, buttons, or similar closure devices.
d. Contains items such as pens, pencils, keys, or coins that cause the thickness of the mailpiece to be uneven; or loose keys or coins or similar objects not affixed to the contents within the mailpiece. Loose items may cause a letter to be nonmailable when mailed in paper envelopes; (see 601.3.3).
e. Is too rigid (does not bend easily when subjected to a transport belt tension of 40 pounds around an 11-inch diameter turn).
f. For pieces more than 4-1/4 inches high or 6 inches long, the thickness is less than 0.009 inch.
g. Has a delivery address parallel to the shorter dimension of the mailpiece.
h. Is a self-mailer that is not prepared according to 201.3.14.
i. Is a booklet that is not prepared according to 201.3.16."

I've never used the clear envelopes, but have thought about it. Guess I will not use them. I don't want to have to pay a surcharge.

I think previous posts from folks who had no problems with the clear envies and regular postage were either lucky, or before they had so many machines at the post office.

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/101.htm

Last edited by buggainok; 07-09-2014 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I think previous posts from folks who had no problems with the clear envies and regular postage were either lucky, or before they had so many machines at the post office
Or, they mailed from a post office that didn't charge the surcharge, but the recipient was charged it on the other end. I know that my sister-in-law sent me something in the mail; her post office classified it as a large envelope and put that postage on it. When it reached me, it was classified as a package and I owed around $2 on it. Not amusing to receive something that was a project she came up with for me to do in the first place, and then have to pay for the "privilege" of doing said project ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Or, they mailed from a post office that didn't charge the surcharge, but the recipient was charged it on the other end. I know that my sister-in-law sent me something in the mail; her post office classified it as a large envelope and put that postage on it. When it reached me, it was classified as a package and I owed around $2 on it. Not amusing to receive something that was a project she came up with for me to do in the first place, and then have to pay for the "privilege" of doing said project ;)
You may be right. I know I have lots of friends that I send cards to, who would never mention to me if they had to pay postage due on a card I sent them.

I really try hard to be sure I have the correct postage on anything I send in the mail.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I have found some at walmart that I have been buying.

I always put 2 stamps on my cards anyway. And if I use the Prima mixed media stamps I put 3 on the envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't bother to make my own regular A2 size envelopes. They are just too easy to buy. I do however make my envelopes if I do a square card or a 5x7 card, because I don't have a big stock of envelopes in those sizes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, Bugga, that really stinks. I have no feedback from those to whom I mailed in clear envies. Maybe that's a new rule of the P.O. I guess they want their employees to have no entertainment at all!
They sure look cute when you use them for handed-cards, too....looks more like a gift than 'just a card.'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Marco's Paper has Announcement and Baronial style envelopes in the $23-$24 range for 250. They offer a flat rate shipping of $5.95 for orders over $10. If you wanted 2 boxes (or more), the shipping would be quite reasonable. Warning: if you look around their site, you'll find plenty of other goodies to buy! Maybe you could then just say that the envelopes had "free shipping." LoL
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

It really irks me when someone obviously has gone to the PO and then there is postage due. There really shouldn't be postage due if you have had to wait in line at the PO to send it in the first place.

I know they print the postage but that could be done at home. I wish there was an identifier on cards/packages that have been taken in over the counter so those go through. If there is a mistake then it's on the PO when customers have done their best to be honest.

*steps off soapbox*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 03:27 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

BTW I don't know if it is cheaper because my user error rate is higher than it should be! Made 3 pretty envelopes last night to get 1 usable one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
It really irks me when someone obviously has gone to the PO and then there is postage due. There really shouldn't be postage due if you have had to wait in line at the PO to send it in the first place.

I know they print the postage but that could be done at home. I wish there was an identifier on cards/packages that have been taken in over the counter so those go through. If there is a mistake then it's on the PO when customers have done their best to be honest.

*steps off soapbox*
AGREED! In her case, I know she didn't print it at home because she lives with my in-laws in what my son refers to as "pioneer house" - no computer, no internet, no cable. Although she did get a cell phone a couple of months ago
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

subbing

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
I don't bother to make my own regular A2 size envelopes. They are just too easy to buy. I do however make my envelopes if I do a square card or a 5x7 card, because I don't have a big stock of envelopes in those sizes.
Same here . . . But, of course, with the handmade cards you have to address (bad pun) sealing the envelope. If I'm making the card for me to send to someone I just put the card in the envelope and seal it with whatever adhesive I have on my desk.

But, if you want to just give or sell the card for someone else to use with an unsealed, coordinating envelope, you'll have to use Envelope Gum. I use Crafting Companions here: Envelope Gum. I got mine at Archivers, but I think they're available at a lot of places.

Here's what Crafter Companion says about it: "Apply an adhesive strip that can be remoistened and used to seal your envelopes later. Just brush on the adhesive with a craft brush (not Included) and let dry."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StickUpsView Post
Same here . . . But, of course, with the handmade cards you have to address (bad pun) sealing the envelope. If I'm making the card for me to send to someone I just put the card in the envelope and seal it with whatever adhesive I have on my desk.

But, if you want to just give or sell the card for someone else to use with an unsealed, coordinating envelope, you'll have to use Envelope Gum. I use Crafting Companions here: Envelope Gum. I got mine at Archivers, but I think they're available at a lot of places.

Here's what Crafter Companion says about it: "Apply an adhesive strip that can be remoistened and used to seal your envelopes later. Just brush on the adhesive with a craft brush (not Included) and let dry."
TBH I just licked a whole load of graduation announcements (store bought) and reminded myself why I buy them where I just have to peal off the backing paper to seal them. So I just do the same with any envelope I make. Most people I know would prefer to lift a bit of paper off tape over licking an envelope these days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I can't lick envelopes, due to an urban legend I heard about a paper cut and roaches hatching. I know the story isn't true, and can't be true - but I had such a visceral reaction to it that I can no longer make myself lick them. At work, I have envelope dabbers to moisten them and at home, I buy the kind with the backing paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been making my own A2 envelopes out of ugly 12x12 paper. I get two envelopes per sheet, but I just score them myself; I don't use the envelope maker (don't have one). When I do buy envelopes, I buy them at clearbags.com. I buy 1000 envelopes at a time so I pay a cheaper price. I think it is $41 + $15 (shipping) - so around $56 for 1000, or 5.6 cents per envelope?

From morbid curiosity, I also calculated how much it was costing me, if I made my own envelopes. Since I was using paper that I was going to give away anyhow, I didn't count the cost of the paper. I use the ATG adhesive to seal them, and estimated that I use around 15 inches of adhesive per envelope, which was a little MORE than 5.6 cents per envelope, but oh well. (I use ATG Gold, and get them at the bulk price from framingsupplies.com for about $5 a roll [36 yards per roll])

Edited to add: if I was making envelopes for someone else to use, I would just lay down a strip of ATG adhesive, and then lay a strip of the tape backing over it. Then the person can just peel off the backing when they are ready to seal it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

I can't lick envelopes, due to an urban legend I heard about a paper cut and roaches hatching. I know the story isn't true, and can't be true - but I had such a visceral reaction to it that I can no longer make myself lick them. At work, I have envelope dabbers to moisten them and at home, I buy the kind with the backing paper.
Heard that one, too, and that grossed me out for a looooong time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

I bought a box of a thousand and they should last me till I die! I do give away a lot of boxes of cards as gifts too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I love using the envelope punch board for making my own envelopes, even if it is a bit more working than taking any envelope out of a box. I also love using discontinued wallpaper books - the colors are fabulous and it's very easy to color-coat your card and envelope. The books where I live are free, when you can find them. I've gotten compliments on my envelopes, even at the local post office. They are legal to send through the mail. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

I love SU envelopes and SU liner dies. I like using stamps to decorate the liner and outside. Love lining them with pretty paper too. I use plain old copy paper, super cheap and just the right weight, when I want to hoard my SU envelopes.:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2014, 04:43 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Here's my $.02 worth---

I just recently figured out that when Hobby Lobby runs their Paper Studio items on sale (which is basically every-other week or every 3rd week) at 50% off, you can get a pack of 50 A2 cardstock bases + 50 envelopes for $4 ($7.99 x 50% off). So, basically you are getting 50 envelopes for what I used to pay at Wal-Mart for just 50 envelopes. Also, it's nice because they come in white/ivory/kraft.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebird52paView Post
I love using the envelope punch board for making my own envelopes, even if it is a bit more working than taking any envelope out of a box. I also love using discontinued wallpaper books - the colors are fabulous and it's very easy to color-coat your card and envelope. The books where I live are free, when you can find them. I've gotten compliments on my envelopes, even at the local post office. They are legal to send through the mail. Hope that helps.
Same here, love using envelope maker to make envelopea. I love picking out patterned paper to use, thats what I mainly use patterned paper for. I also am starting to get some accucut card and envelope dies and cant wait to start using them with the patterned paper.
Reply With Quote Likes