Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #81  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sometimes get seasonal depression. My therapist had one recomendation... get a life... which translated into getting a hobby. He said that you NEED something all your own that makes you feel good. Something that you can escape too.

Even if it is in your dining room or living room or a corner in your bedroom, having a hobby is literally healthy for your mental state. And he was right.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #82  
Inking Addict

I do feel guilty... and I am a demo, but somehow it hasn't stopped me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #83  
Crimping Master

My husband came home today (very late). When I asked him where he had been he said that it is his moms birthday and he went and got her a present. He showed me what he bought and then the last thing he took out was a CARD that he BOUGHT from Hallmark. He did this while standing IN MY STAMPROOM as I was working on ideas for Valentines.
I just looked at him mouth agape and said nothing. All I could do was point at the cards on my mantle and around the room. Finally I just shook my head and said "HELLO! Wife...Stampin Up demo. MAKES cards!" He just laughed like I was a pitiful little puppy.

The thing that I actually do feel guilty about is my stamp room. It was alot of money to remodel and to organize it. Money that we would have used anyway as a family room, but still, I get it. He does have a little piece of space where he has his computer armoire.

But, as he just left for work and I showed him the bookmarks I made tonight (check them out in my gallery) he asked me if I would make him one. When I make him something it's like saying that all my expense is worth while because it has been used for him.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #84  
Stazon Splitcoast

Nope!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #85  
Glitter Queen

Default It could be worse

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't mess around except with my dh....so what a good bad habit to have. it could be worse!

Cathy J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #86  
Mad Swapper

I find it interesting that the "women" feels "guilty" over their purchases for stamps & such. My husband spends thousands per year on college basketball & football tickets!!! Would guilt ever come in his vocabulary?? NO!! He would say he deserves it because he enjoys it so much !! Just like the hunters, car fanatics etc that are out there. I bet they would never feel "guilty" for taking the family income & spending it on something only they enjoy. Why is it different for them. But it is & I will never understand why!! I just find it funny that us women/mothers think that we are not worth a little something just for ourselves!!!! I, of course, have felt, oh why should I spend good hard earned money on something so frivolous. but, you know what....It makes me happy!! That's what we all need to remember!! What's good for the goose is good for the gander!!!!! ha ha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 05:15 PM   #87  
Glitter Queen

Default You are entirely right.

Sometimes I will need to have something for my craft....but I feel as if I have to balance groceries, etc over that need. But if my dh needs to have a wrench to use once for a project, he goes and gets it, no thinking involved. Why do we feel guilty like that? I've never understood that either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 05:52 PM   #88  
Gallery Gazer

My husband bought a $10,000 motorcycle last year. Until I catch up to that... I won't feel guilty. I think I spent something like $2000 last year. Only $8000 more to go....better start making my wish list!!! LOL[quote]

Seriously...my DH bought a mustang GT right before we got married, which we just paid off in December. All I can say if he EVER says anything...MUSTANG. lol. Actually, I love the car! Can't complain.

I just figure if I feel like I need to hide a purchase that I have made that I shouldn't make it in the first place. I never want to lie or deceive my DH about what I buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 08:49 PM   #89  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Hi. My name is Lisa, and I am a stampaholic. Now everyone say, "Hi Lisa."
Hi, my name is Linda and I'm a stampaholic (check my SCS name).

Guilty? not much. I'm the only person earning our money, my husband stays home and takes care of the house and children and himself. I work VERY hard to support our family so he doesn't say much if I do the occasional e**y or SU purchase as long as the bills are paid and we have what we need, there is no room for him to say anything.

It would be different if I was sitting at home doing pretty much nothing and buying, then yes, I'd feel guilt. But, other than thinking of how much I'll have to work to "earn" some stamps, no not guilty.

(Love this thread, I really needed a good laugh after this week! Y'all are a HOOT!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:15 PM   #90  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default It goes away rather quickly!

Yes, of course some of us feel pretty guilty over the amount of money we spend on SU supplies. I'm an SU demo and I fall definitely into this category, but I must say that this "guilt trip" goes away rather quickly before the start of the new month begins.

Ana Malick :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2005, 08:07 AM   #91  
Polyshrink Goddess

"Hi Linda..." My son does a good imitation of the aa thing :shock: Oh, maybe that is not a good thing.
Okay, I am laughing and really enjoying this thread!!! I especially like the idea of putting the grocery store name in the checkbook! Even my husband laughed at that! I am a demo, but I am also a psychotherapist by profession (on respite). Don't tell anyone :shock:
So on a serious note, stamping really IS therapy, as it is getting in touch with our senses, with our intuition, it is problem solving, it is almost immediate gratification and positive reinforcement, it is support from peers (SCS!!!), and these threads ARE group therapy! We find that we are not all so different, that we have some differences which we appreciate, yet at the same time have similarities that are sometimes hilarious, and comforting. Okay, I am on a soap box and typing so fast I do not know if I made any spelling errors, so I apologize on both. I find it humorous that we feel guilty, and a good thing to some degree, and obviously none of us are losing our computers over our addiction, so... Maybe this year we will make enough money off of our STAMPING to support our habit next year!!!
You all are awesome people. I truly appreciate you, SCS, and SU. I love this hobby, and it honestly has been the best therapy for me to get through a heck of a lot of tough spots. It is a coping mechanism that actually does good for others (i.e. productive, constructive)... Okay, okay, I will stop writing...
love ya all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #92  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. These responsives were, frankly, a little sad. That said, yes, I do at times question the amount I spend on crafts. My very hard working husband plays a guitar and runs (both virtually cost free) and is the greatest guy in the world. He spends nothing!!

However, we aren't in debt (mortgages don't count) and my very expensive therapist agrees it is good for me!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #93  
Glitter Queen

Default Actually, we are just addicted, problems or questions????

I love this, everyone has admitted that they are hooked and that it's good for them. My hubbie is a chef, and I can't tell you the number of doubles we have in that department....I won't, he could be committed. He loves the FACT that I love to do something and have finally found a spot for my creativity that doesn't mean him on a ladder with a paintbrush.

LIsa: I had to laugh when I found out what you do for a "living".....I am a play therapist for abused children. What a hoot! AND
JOAN: MY therp says it's good for me too. Although I make all his cards so he looks like a very sensitive guy.....

So what they heck, we don't drink (do we?) we don't smoke (do we) we aren't gamling our money away (are we?) and we are out running around with strange men....hey, I agree with Lisa:

My name is Cathy and I am a stampoholic....everyone say "hi, Cathy".

Cathy J --- off to the stamp store, forgot a few things today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #94  
Compulsive Stamper

Default guilt

OK ~ I have a funny one for ya.

I was doing a workshop with just a few women. They were joking about getting in trouble with their husbands for spending too much, blah~blah.

One lady spoke up. She used to buy MaryKay and her Consultant once told her that it is a lot easier to be forgiven once it is already bought and still get it than it is to ask if you can spend so much/get this & that and have to lie to get it anyways. It isn't betrayal if he didn't know until it was done!

I think on this with every order I place with SU!

TIFFANY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #95  
Kookie Creator

Hi! I do feel guilty about ordering SU! But like someone stated, the guilt is gone by the time I get my stuff.....By the way, does anybody know of a place where I can buy something to store my 12 x 12 paper?
Thanks
Quamecia'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2005, 09:08 PM   #96  
Glitter Queen

Default My fav store

Wal-Mart has plastic envelopes that are perfect for 12 x 12's. They also have in the stationary/business department a box that lies flat (I suppose you could stack it upright) that fits 12 x 12's. I like the clearn plastic better as I don't have to take all the paper out to find what I want, and I think they are only 1.99.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 11:19 AM   #97  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Cathy..." Hey, that was my specialty for awhile, and then it evolved into working with the teens from abusive families!!! (and gangs)... Small world...
Well, 2 or more "professionals" agree on stamp therapy (the name of my website too!), so let's all go place a big order today!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (or is it 4 out of 5 dentists agree...) :shock:
love ya all!
L
Reply With Quote Likes