Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2006, 02:05 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Default DIY Wedding Invites - Need Help !!

I have an emergency - I am doing my own wedding invites - I bought pealescent/metallic paper - heavy cardstock. When I print on my ink jet printer - I've noticed a couple of things... 1. I have to wait to dry 2. Even after it dries (2 days) it still smears when the paper or wording is touched.
My Questions?: What can I use to keep the paper to quickly dry and stop smearing? Am I using the wrong weight for cardstock? How about printer - I've heard that laser printer will stop the smearing?
Please - will appreciate any suggestions... Thank You
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

If you have a laser printer, that's probably the easiest way to print them up. Ink Jet printers are notorious for not drying on certain types of paper (especially vellum). There is something you can buy to help dry the ink for ink jet printers called the Perfect Printing Pouch - you can read about it here:
http://scraperfect.com/

but if you can just use a laser printer, that will save a lot of headaches. I used a laser printer for all my invites and they came out just fine.

HTH,
Christine

Logging in each and every day to be inspired by SCS'ers everywhere!
Old 07-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

You could try spraying the ink with something like Krylon Matte fixative, to see if that stops the smearing. I have noticed that if I get ink-jet paper wet, it runs. Especially colors. Black ink-jet ink is a little bit more permanent than the colored ink.

If you use a laser printer, it probably won't smear. Laser toner is like little bits of plastic, that are put on the the paper and melted into place.

I admire you for doing your own wedding invitations! We received a couple of hand-made invitations recently, and they are just so cool!

--Alice
Old 07-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Ouch, girl I did my own invites, I hope you know what you've gotten yourself into. <grin>

Does the paper have plastic feel like transparancies?? I'm guessing since it's pearlescent/metallic it does. Try changing the settings on your ink jet to transparancy and see if that helps. If not then maybe you can try hitting it with a heat gun or even spreading embossing powder over the wet ink when it first comes out of the printer and embossing it.

Good luck to ya and hope this helps!
Sharon
Old 07-20-2006, 02:31 PM   #5  
thepaperprincess

Inkjets typically don't like paper with any shiny/slick surface. The ink doesn't have anything to "grab" onto and the paper's coating prevents it from absorbing into the surface of the paper.

Laser printers use heat to bond the toner to the paper and that's why those tend to work on coated papers.

I've had mixed results with Krylon Workable Fixatif, depending on the paper. It's worth a shot if you have a lot of money invested in this paper. You may, however, need to (a) get a different paper, (b) print on a laser printer, or (c) take your invite to be printed at a professional printer or copy center (Kinko's , Office Max, etc.).

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #6  
thepaperprincess

Forgot to add that there's a product called the Printing Pouch. It's a felt bag full of a powdery substance (like an embossing buddy) that you rub over the surface of vellum or other slick paper. It's supposed to help ink adhere to the paper. I haven't tried it out yet, but here's the link: http://www.scraperfect.com/

Old 07-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Perhaps you could also try using a clear embossing powder over the printing - when you heat it it will look like it was thermographically printed (I think that is the correct word), it adds dimension to the printing. Might end up being a cool look in the end.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:07 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. I'm going to try them all out... I will let everyone know my results.
Thanks a bunch everyone...
Old 07-20-2006, 09:33 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Wedding Invites & Problems

I have to tell you that my experience is that some papers look fantatic but don't print well. I have used papers like that and layered other papers with them or used vellum as an overlay.
Do try a laser printer...often the heat from the laser will help you with those types of papers/cardstocks.
I recently designed and made invites for a wedding and ended up keeped the wonderful Bazzill paper that I loved, but redesigning the invite to work around the texture "issues".
Good luck and let me know if you need help!

"If you know how many stamps you have, you don't have enough."
Old 07-20-2006, 10:45 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

We tried to print on copper metallic paper for my daughter's invitations and it is a no go with the ink jet. Never seemed to be dark enough. Laser is the only option if you want it on the metallic paper, OR you could just layer over the pretty paper with something you can print on. I attached what we finally did for her fall wedding.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Wedding Invites - Need Help !!-leahs-invitation-inside.jpg   DIY Wedding Invites - Need Help !!-leahs-invitation-lifted.jpg   DIY Wedding Invites - Need Help !!-leahs-invitation.jpg  
Old 07-20-2006, 11:01 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

stamps&cars: wowie those are some pretty invites! i only hope mine will turn out that nice whenever i'm lucky enough to have to do them anyhow i just thought i would add... my boss at work has a thermal wax printer and it prints great on just about everything we had some glossy brochures to print and they came out fabulously!...full color and everything. it is a bit costly so if you're ok with the black ink of a laser then that would probably be the best bet. hope your invites turn out wonderful!...post pics and let us see how they turn out!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks, girl4cupcake. For some other ideas here are the other two invitations that I did for my kids. The dark blue one was made with velveteen paper.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Wedding Invites - Need Help !!-copy-jim-ahtia-closed.jpg   DIY Wedding Invites - Need Help !!-copy-jim-ahtia-open.jpg   DIY Wedding Invites - Need Help !!-copy-angies-invitation.jpg  
Old 07-21-2006, 12:55 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Ann
Those are beautiful invitations. Do you remember what the name of the fonts were?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy-crafter
Ann
Those are beautiful invitations. Do you remember what the name of the fonts were?
I'm not sure about the one with the blue velveteen paper as the bride's mom printed them. But the other two were Amazone BT.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

I did 150 dry embossed invitations with 150 response cards also dry embossed and used chalks on them. I am FINALLY done! Also did the return address in Calligraphy. (For my niece, my namesake, had to do it!) I used cream linen paper and first tried my ink jet at home but finally had to use my laser printer from work which worked out MUCH better! I have been asked now by all her siblings (5 of them) to do theirs! (we have a VERY large family) and two of them are getting married this year!
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Old 07-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Location: I am a Utah desert rat! I fry in the summer, but, oh, the winters are spectacular!

Good Luck! You can do it. My daughter and I did 450 for her wedding. It's a lot of work, but very rewarding in the end--not to mention much cheaper!
Old 07-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I figure that even with all the money we spent on supplies we could have never afforded to purchase what we made. We did 250 of the copper one and 150 of the other two. We got the whole family involved and everyone had fun stamping and assembling while we talked about wedding stuff.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Default wedding invites

Are there kits you buy to make these? Where do you get the materials? I am looking because my daughter wants me to make hers (next summer wedding) and i have no idea where to start. Any help is appreciated
Old 07-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

You can try to heat set them too. I do that when I print on vellum and need it to dry in a hurry. Try it on a scrap though to make sure it doesn't warp or discolor the paper. HTH

Check out my gallery
Old 07-21-2006, 08:16 PM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

I feel better now, since Stamps&Cars did so many. Unfortunately I live 8 hours away from my family and didn't have anyone to help. Normally for weddings everyone pitches in with everything and my niece was the first to remember that I stamp. Now all the others realize, oh yeah, cool AND cheaper, so they want in on the deal. I was the foolish one for submitting a labor intensive invitation to them. I am actually pleased they thought of me! Now that they saw the calligraphy (they had forgotten I could do that) they will probably ask me to address the invitations too!
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Old 07-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamplovinglatina
Are there kits you buy to make these? Where do you get the materials? I am looking because my daughter wants me to make hers (next summer wedding) and i have no idea where to start. Any help is appreciated
The copper paper on the one I made could have been purchased cut like you see but the pre-cut ones were $1.50 each and being the crafter that I am, I just couldn't bring myself to pay that. I purchased the 8.5 x 11 copper paper and cut, scored and rounded by hand. It really wasn't too bad. I purchased all my cardstock locally at Paper Zone.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Default cooper paper

Do you have a pattern for this kind of invitation? I like the way it looks, simple but elegant!
Old 07-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I like the look of this as well, I will be working on prototypes of wedding announcements this weekend and think this looks so beautiful!
Old 07-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I can measure it and let you know.....getting ready for a big meeting tonight and won't be able to answer til probably late Sunday night. If I remember right, it was an 8" square with the inner 5" square done on the diagonal and the flaps rounded where they met the inner square. More later.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:17 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

Stamps&cars beautiful color choices..I am using the same colors.. bronze, opal and copper. Having a fall wedding.. Using the envelopments pocket invites... I did find that it was cheaper to DIY(maps,wording,material,assembly) then having someone do them. Plus the rewards of having people oooh and aaaa over them is going to be worth it...
FYI - We went out and bought a laser printer.. No more smearing..Also our laser printer is able to do both sides which then saved us more money because now the RSVP's are postcards - no need for envelopes and saving on regular stamps...Yahoo!!