Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   dirty dozen questions (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/dirty-dozen-questions-79390/)

APandi 08-18-2005 07:06 PM

dirty dozen questions

I couldn't find anything in my search but I imagine these questions have been asked before so forgive!
How are the new artists chosen each month? However it is done it is working because each month is so inspiring! Who choses the topics?
If you are a DD how long do you have to work on your projects? Do most of you have a jillion ideas before you start or do you have "Oh my gosh, nothing is working." times.
I am just so intrigued with the whole creative process that goes into each project each month.

Andi

kathleenh 08-18-2005 08:09 PM

Good questions Andi! Enquiring minds want to know! ;)

RockyMountainStamper 08-18-2005 08:22 PM

I need to just pay the 20 bucks and find out what's goin' on behind 'blocked' doors!!!

MSBetsyZ 08-18-2005 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMountainStamper
I need to just pay the 20 bucks and find out what's goin' on behind 'blocked' doors!!!

I'll tell ya, Melissa, if you normally buy stamping magazines, try skipping 2 or 3 and using that money towards the DD -- NO COMPARISON! I mean, it's really not "just" that you're buying membership to the DD -- you're supporting SCS and its operating expenses (which must be enormous).

I mean, I get a magazine, read it, maybe go back a few times until the next issue comes out, and that's usually it. With SCS, I'm here just about every day getting inspiration and virtual companionship. Like I said, no comparison.....:)

BasketMom 08-18-2005 09:11 PM

Fan club Fan

I completely agree that the Fan Club is worth the $20 to see the Dirty Dozen gallery. And when you think about it - $1.67/month is cheap! Plus, you get to see all of the past DD galleries, which is like buying a magazine subscription and getting all of the back-issues for free!!!
And this month's gallery is one of my favorites. They REALLY out-did themselves.

stamps&cars 08-19-2005 10:34 AM

I think I read somewhere that it was a six month stint but I have no idea if that is true or not and I also have no idea how they pick new members. I do know that the members are rotated out......less burn out that way I guess. Also, new ideas and styles with new members.

APandi 08-19-2005 02:18 PM

dirty dozen questions

Thank you to those who replied to my questions. I was really hoping a past or present DD would also respond. I am not trying to find out secret info, just interested how their creativity and ideas come about and how they were chosen etc. I guess there must be a "no talk" clause when you are a DD. At any rate I am already looking forward to September 15.

Andi aka Nosy Rosy.

JulieHRR 08-19-2005 02:32 PM

Actually, Miss Andi, it just might be that your post didn't happen to be seen by any of the Dirty Dozen 'til just now. ;)

If you can be patient, I'll try to answer your questions.

:D

11Valerie11 08-19-2005 02:33 PM

You asked, let me see if I can answer for you, and these are based on my experience with the DD, which I love doing!

Quote:

I couldn't find anything in my search but I imagine these questions have been asked before so forgive!
How are the new artists chosen each month? There is a committee that chooses the artists, and they ask via email if you would be interested in being a DD designer. And if you accept, you agree to keep it a secret until the unveiling. However it is done it is working because each month is so inspiring! Who choses the topics? The topics are kind of a group effort with most of the catagories picked by the Design Team Coordinator, we can add suggestions which are considered (and often appear!)
If you are a DD how long do you have to work on your projects? Most of the time about 3 weeks or so for each new month, although we may know of new topics coming up and create to those catagories, if we want to. And, the "stint" is about 6 months, or so for each designer before they rotate out. Do most of you have a jillion ideas before you start or do you have "Oh my gosh, nothing is working." times. I know for me, I go through creative times where I stamp stamp stamp and my mind is reeling with ideas, and other times, dead as a doornail and nothing comes out. Pretty much like everyone around here I would imagine.
I am just so intrigued with the whole creative process that goes into each project each month.

Andi

APandi 08-19-2005 02:50 PM

Dirty Dozen questions

I am sorry HHR! I did sound impatient didn't I. Thank you Valerie for your answers. I hope we will hear from some more DD. It is almost like hearing from a celebrity!!

Sereikastamper 08-19-2005 03:19 PM

Huh...I have always wondered how it worked too!!! Good question, good answer! Thanks gals!

hr*smommy 08-19-2005 03:30 PM

I never really knew that there was a fan club...guess I should read more. It sounds like a great use of $20. I too, only look at magaizines once or twice, so it's usually a big waste of $5.

JulieHRR 08-19-2005 04:21 PM

How are Dirty Dozen Designers Selected?

There are actually many factors that go into the selection process. But, here are a few . . .

The team keeps their eyes peeled, and when we stumble across something that particularly catches our eye, we explore further. Some things the team looks for:
  • We like to see enough work to gather somewhat of an idea of what an individual's style is
  • Scope & range--does the artist have a broad range/balance of artwork featuring well executed simple designs (that everybody feels eager to try), as well as more complex techniques (challenge more advanced stampers), and do they show diversity in layout, color schemes, etc.
  • Ability to paradigm shift (think outside the box, try the unusual or new)
  • And, probably to a great extent, do their creations consistently evoke a response of delight and amazement (or http://www.homeshade.com/stuff/shutup.gif response, as I like to call it! ;) ) --from viewers.

It's an increasingly complex and difficult process, because there are SO many talented artists out there!

From there, the team puts the names onto a list and a Top Secret invitation is issued to an artist by the Coordinator. We like to keep their identity a secret, because it's a fun surprise and who doesn't like one of those?! ;) Hopefully, they accept!

On occasion, an invited artist must regretfully decine the invitation because they have other commitments that would not permit them the time to dedicate to it.

Incoming designers are asked to volunteer for a 6 month rotation, but some have served longer, to help keep the rotation schedule on an even keel when needed. Why 6 month stints? Well, one very important reason is to avoid burnout! Designing on a regular monthly basis, by a deadline, is an exhausting pace, especially when trying to produce consistently fresh, innovative, beautiful artwork. It is also a big commitment of time. The Dirty Dozen volunteer their time, resources, and talent every single month. Some of the designers work full-time, and in addition to that, are also SU! demonstrators.

Also important, the 6 month stint enables the gallery to continue to showcase more of the very talented artists here at SCS. Having a rotation helps keep the gallery changing, evolving, and growing.

WHO CHOOSES THE TOPICS?

Generally, as the Coordinator, I'm always making lists of things, possible topics, and when I think I might have some the team may respond to, I toss out a list. The list is always open to suggestions, modifications, by the Team. If they do not think a particular theme is a good one, we drop it and find another. If there are some drawbacks or problems with one (or it's mediocre, etc.) they work quickly together to resolve it and make it a GREAT one! In any case, even tho many of the topics are selected and scheduled 6 months in advance, the themes are never carved in stone.

HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO COME UP WITH DESIGNS? AND HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Generally, once a gallery unveils, many are ALREADY back to work on the next coming theme, so . . . . about 3-4 weeks per month is about the advance time. Some of the designers do look further ahead and if they happen to have a great idea for a gallery theme 2 months away, they'll go ahead and get it into place.

For me, personally, I usually have more ideas than time to bring them all to fruition, but I try to get as many of 'em as I can in there before the curtain goes up! ;) And, I do have times, where a concept I'm workin' on hits a total dead-end after an hour or two, and I have to go back to the drawing board, grabbing the next idea. Mostly, for me, narrowing things down is the hardest part of it all . . . keeps me awake at night some times . . .

If anyone would like to know more about the Splitcoast Fan Club, and the Design Team (affectionately referred to as "The Dirty Dozen Designers", or "The DD", please Click HERE!

11Valerie11 08-19-2005 05:03 PM

Now, you can see why Julie is the Coordinator! Much more detailed than my little Q & A up above!! Of course, I don't know that much about what goes on behind the scenes, just my own little end of it. :)

etsdas 08-19-2005 07:00 PM

A big thank you

Thanks to Valerie and Julie for the great explanations. A lot of us are curious as well as in awe.

This thread is just an example of the generosity and commitment of so many people. Not only do you share your ideas and creativity, but your expertise, with how-to's, templates, explanations... and the list goes on.
And all of this is volunteered.

Again, THANK YOU.

APandi 08-20-2005 06:47 AM

dirty dozen questions

Wow Julie! Thank you for the explanation. You and Valerie have certainly answered a lot of my questions and wonderings. Do you sleep Julie? Don't know when you would have time.

Andi

stampwithcynthia 08-22-2005 07:22 PM

Obviously, being a DD member is a donation of love. So much time and energy goes into it with such beautiful results and they do it for free! It is so worth the $20 bucks to join.

While we are on the subject, I was just wondering, is the committee a certain few or all of the present dirty dozen members? We're a curious group aren't we?

Just fun to understand more how it all works when we are so appreciate of our dirty gals!!

*proudma2boys* 08-22-2005 07:35 PM

Thanks, Neat info.....I wondered about these questions many times!