Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Digital Scrapbooking?

I see there are a ton of different programs out there on digital scrapbooking. I was watching the BYU station (no, I am not Mormon, but they have a scrapbooking program on every morning), and they are always doing digital scrapbooking, and adding embellishments, etc...

what is your take on digital scrapbooking and what program do you suggest and use? How easy is it and do you really use it

I am not a scrapper, but heck, if it's digital, and looks that easy, I might becom a scrapper very quickly.

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I like digital scrapbooking, but haven't done much with it in a long time - been making cards for the last couple years. But, it is a lot of fun and a lot less messy. The best things about digital scrapbooking is that if you don't like how your layout turns out, you can click the undo button and have as many do-overs as you want, you haven't ruined your supplies, and once you buy/get a kit you never have to buy it again (unlimited supply of paper and embellishments), and the absolute best part is that it doesn't take up any storage space in the house so your husband can't tell how much stuff you have.

The most popular program for digi scrappin is Photoshop elements. There are a lot of digital scrapbooking sites and they have a lot of free tutorials for this program and several others that people use (like Paintshop Pro which is what I use most of the time). There are also thousand upon thousands of free stuff for digital scrapbooking (not like paper scrapbooking - I haven't received one free thing). I think in the 5 or 6 years I was digi scrappin I only paid for about 6 or 7 kits and the rest was free - or I designed myself. That's another thing, if you're good with computers and you get familiar with your graphics program, you can design anything you need for your digital scrapbooking. I ended up designing and selling digital scrapbooking kits for a few years and it was a lot of fun.

If you want to take a look at some digital work, I suggest you go to a site specifically geared to digital scrapbooking like digitalscrapbookplace.com, scrapbook-bytes.com, digichick.com, or scrapgirls.com. There will be a lot of range of styles for you to look at and free tutorials. There is also a digital scrapbooking gallery here with some beautiful examples.

Hope that helps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I like digital scrapbooking. I can't stand paper scrapbooking. It's messy and takes me forever. With digital, it's not messy, it's faster and you can put it down whenever you need to and go back to it without missing anything. I love being able to print multiple books for grandparents, aunts, etc. Plus everything else cat_woman said, too.

I use Photoshop Elements. It's on sale now at Costc0. I have also just decided to purchase the My Digital Studio by Stampin Up, because it's 50% off at $39.99 and seems very easy to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I only have tried My Digital Studio and love it. I never thought I would like digi scrapping, but the convenience and space saving has won me over. We have a whole forum for Digital scrapbooking - check it out.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I love My Digital Studio! It's made for scrapbookers (and card makers, too) so it's geared towards that more than Photoshop is. It's so easy to create. I'm off to make my dad a desk calendar for the holidays right now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I have been a digital scrapper for over 7 years and I use Photoshop, I have seen the specialty scrapbooking programs on the market and find them very limiting, especially when it comes to things like shadows (very important when it comes to making your digital layouts look more "real") and photo corrections. Most digital scrappers I know use some form of Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I have started digital scrapbooking in the last year. I have had photoshop for a couple of years and have not been able to figure it out. I am not that computer savvy & classes at the local college don't work with my work schedule. I decided to purchase My Digital Studio and love it. I am able to import kits, etc from other companies. I still have a lot to learn, but I am able to CASE layouts, make my own layouts, make card fronts, do paper crafting projects, etc. I still scrap the traditional way, but this is a great way for me to not have so many unfinished scrapping projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I dont scrapbook, but I have been seeing a lot of digital sites, with lots of nice looking papers and embellishments etc, so Im thinking that would be really easy to do, once I learn it.
My question is though, once you make a page/pages, do you actually print them out and make a real album, or are they suppose to be something that is looked at on the computer? Since there is a lot of color involved, which would mean a lot of printer ink use, do you print them at home or take them somewhere to be printed??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGirlThereView Post
I dont scrapbook, but I have been seeing a lot of digital sites, with lots of nice looking papers and embellishments etc, so Im thinking that would be really easy to do, once I learn it.
My question is though, once you make a page/pages, do you actually print them out and make a real album, or are they suppose to be something that is looked at on the computer? Since there is a lot of color involved, which would mean a lot of printer ink use, do you print them at home or take them somewhere to be printed??
Both - I print at 12x12 (I have a large format printer), it might be cheaper to have them printed somewhere else, but I'm not patient enough for that! I also resize them and display them in digital frames (for the grandparents).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGirlThereView Post
I download my pages to be printed. First I did single pages to the SU print service to finish up the album I was working on. After that I did an 8x8 book through SU. Then I used a coupon for an online photo service and did a book through them. I just uploaded the My Digital Studio pages as if they were a photo and choose the page format where the photo fills the page. I was pleased with all of these options. My hybrid cards I just print at home, since they don't require much ink (see my gallery).
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Oh Ok thanks for that info.
I forgot about the 12x12 paper question. Didnt realize they had printers that print 12x12 paper. Good to know
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I print my pages off at home. I print them 8x8 and they come out very nice. If you want, you can also print off a basic page and then embellish - hybrid scrapbooking. I use photo quality papers when I print my pages as I find that the prints look dull printed on regular cardstock - at least with any of the printers I've owned (and I've had a few).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 94 Likes on 45 Posts

I've tried digital scrapbooking; and honestly, I don't care for it very much. It leaves me very cold. I like touching the paper and arranging everything by hand. I'm not in a race, and I don't feel the need to just get it done and move on. I don't care how long a layout takes me. I enjoy it and wouldn't give up paper scrapping for digital scrapping - ever. I do, however, like to use digital collage templates sometimes to arrange my photos if I'm working with a lot on one layout. To each her own, but this is my take on digital scrapbooking (and card making too).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I've tried digital scrapbooking; and honestly, I don't care for it very much. It leaves me very cold. I like touching the paper and arranging everything by hand. I'm not in a race, and I don't feel the need to just get it done and move on. I don't care how long a layout takes me. I enjoy it and wouldn't give up paper scrapping for digital scrapping - ever. I do, however, like to use digital collage templates sometimes to arrange my photos if I'm working with a lot on one layout. To each her own, but this is my take on digital scrapbooking (and card making too).
I can tell you that it really isn't any quicker to do a digital layout as opposed to a paper layout. There is just as much effort and design put into a digital page as there is a paper page. The only difference is that it isn't as messy. I have quite a few digital layouts that took me days to finish because I kept re-arranging things, picking different papers and embellishments. That's one of the things with digital that can be a pitfall. If you become indecisive, and because you can't ruin or use up your supplies, you could go on forever changing your layouts. Sometimes, as with paper, you have to say "that's it and its done".
Reply With Quote Likes