Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-26-2006, 03:59 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Scrapbooking

Is anyone into digital scrapbooking? I've seen some pages that look great but I'm having problems regarding programs to use. If you do digital scrapbooking, what program are you using? Are there any free downloads for programs that you know of? I don't want to invest in a program until I know if I'm going to like doing it. I want to try it first. I have two programs on my computer that might be options but I'm not sure. The one is MGI Photosuite III. This is what came with my digital camera. I also have Adobe Photshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition. Does anyone know if I can use either of these?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

I am interested in knowing more about digital scrapbooks also. I hope someone will see this and post some information. I think that my printer program (with the photo card slots) has a digital scrapbooking program in it. I haven't had a chance to explore it yet though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh my goodness.. i know nothing about digital scrapbooking.. but about an hour ago, i discovered this site cause i LOVED thsi paisley print on google.. and for the last hour, i have been reading up on it..
i think i am in love.. i can be creative.. AND never leave the computer.. LOL.

http://store.digitalscrapbookplace.c...sions_Set1.jpg

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2006, 01:31 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I looked into the program that came with my camera but I can't do digital scrapbooking with it. I've read several blogs that say don't purchase a program until you're sure you'll like it and to try a free trial, but no one has any listed so I'm stick on what program to use. That's my main problem right now. I could probably figure the program out if I could just find one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2006, 01:57 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 - I know version 4.0 is out now - for my digital scrapbooking and I love it. You can find this program for under $100. If you have a graphics program that supports layers then you will be able to do digital scrapping!

Some of my favorite digital sites:

www.scrapbook-bytes.com this site has a message board, gallery, and shop I know that there are tutorials here as well in getting started

www.digitalscrapbookplace.com another good place for tutorials!

www.digitaldesignessentials.com my favorite digital store!

www.shabbyprincess.com she has lots of free kits her as well as a link to her shoppe

check out www.twopeasinabucket.com as well... they have a whole area and gallery devoted to digital!

And many many many more sites... do a search and you will find tons!

There are so many free kits available - try them out and see how you like it first

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2006, 06:24 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinefeather
I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 - I know version 4.0 is out now - for my digital scrapbooking and I love it. You can find this program for under $100. If you have a graphics program that supports layers then you will be able to do digital scrapping!

Some of my favorite digital sites:

www.scrapbook-bytes.com this site has a message board, gallery, and shop I know that there are tutorials here as well in getting started

www.digitalscrapbookplace.com another good place for tutorials!

www.digitaldesignessentials.com my favorite digital store!

www.shabbyprincess.com she has lots of free kits her as well as a link to her shoppe

check out www.twopeasinabucket.com as well... they have a whole area and gallery devoted to digital!

And many many many more sites... do a search and you will find tons!

There are so many free kits available - try them out and see how you like it first

Have fun!
I haven't had any problems find sites that offered free kits and tutorials for digital scrapbooking, it's the program to get started. I don't have the kind of money to shell out $100 for a program that I don't know if I'll even use. I would rather try one first to see if digital scrapbooking is even for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok I found a website that lets you download a trial version of Photoshop 4.0 Problem is, I can't get it downloaded. Here's the site: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/main.html

The free trial is about half way down the page on the right hand side. If anyone else can get it to download, let me know. Wasn't sure if it was just me. I'm going to keep looking for more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

The only other suggestion that I can offer, beyond downloading a trial version, is to see if there are any community ed type of programs in your area to learn the programs. That way you would be able to try the program and learn at the same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Pinefeather! I found a place to download a free trial version. I'm almost done downloading now. After I play for awhile and see if I can make a decent layout, I'll upload it to my gallery. I did find several on the bay that I may bid on if I like it. Thanks for the links though, I'll have to check them out later!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2006, 07:23 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pine is my digi hero!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2006, 04:30 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

rebecca, photoshop used to scare me.. my husband is fantastic with it.
but.. i finally learned it.. and i LOVE it. dont give up when it looks so confusing.. it just takes practice.. and a lot of playing.

the digitalscrapbookplace had great tutorials.. but at barnes and noble, there is a book in the photography section that is called photoshop for digital photography, or something like that.. and it will tell you how to do anything and everything to your pics to make it appear like the professionals.. if your lighting is too bad.. it gives you a fix, if your shadows are too harsh, it gives you a fix, if your aperature needs help, it gives you a fix..
anyway.. once you learn it all.. it is really easy!!
my hubby makes crazy things on the program that blow me away!!!

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 03:27 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I downloaded a 30 day trial of Photoshop. I played with it a little by following a tutorial that JulieHrr recommended. I got to the point where I had a nice background, three pics with borders layed out the way I liked, but I got stuck on inserting a title.

I'm not sure if digital scrapbooking is for me. I like the ones that I have seen but I think I like actually holding the products and playing with them. Plus I'm on the computer enough as it is! I do like the fact that there is no waste though. I'm going to continue to play as long as I have the trial version, I can upgrade online and not have to actually go purchase it some where. Who knows, maybe in a month I'll realize I love it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone has given!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 03:29 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to paperwife
Default I'm a digi-scrapper!

I use Paint Shop Pro 8 (I'm thinking of upgrading to version 10 after we move) and I love it!!! There is a free trial of it at http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...wnloads/Trials
It is so much easier (and MUCH cheaper) for me to do it on my 'puter then to do it "traditionally". After you get the hang of how PSP works, google for tutorials on digital scrapbooking....pretty soon you'll get so good at it you'll be making your own embelishments to add to your pages. (BTW, there are a TON of free embelishments to download all over the net.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 04:37 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

How do you handle printing them? Do you have 12x12 printing capabilities? Do you do a smaller size? Do you now even print at all and do CDs, and powerpoints? Thanks for letting me jump in!!

Give our SCS Team a break...No uploads on Sundays!

Lions and tigers and my blog, oh my!

Visit my site here!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 04:59 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks to Pine, I have started fiddling with PSE a lot more. . . I am pleased with the picture I altered for my Mexican Riviera cruise scrapbook. It's the first thing I've done that i actually like!

I started out with a pic I snapped in Mazatlan of a palm tree in the sand, and layered a pic of my feet hanging off the boat in Cabo San Lucas, then added the corner dealy thing, and a vellum overlay (old map with all kinds of cool stuff in it that are lost on the small pic), and then did my text. I'm so pleased with myself! All the stuff is from a kit I purchased from 2peas - Travel, I think.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Scrapbooking-scsfeetcollage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 05:19 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to paperwife
Default Printing

I print a couple of different ways....for 12 x 12 (or larger) I take it to Kinko's since I don't have a home printer that will print that large yet (LOL! It's on my wish list!!!). But for anything 8 x 10 or smaller I print it at home. Either way it turns out awesome. Everyone comments that it looks like magazine layouts since it's all so realistic looking....and best of all it's cheaper to print out a digitaly crafted page then to buy all the papers and embelishments.

Also, I've been meaning to try Mpix for printing....a lot of digiscrappers I know swear by them. I got a samples of their papers (all with the same picture printed on them) and they were fabulous. The have an interesting paper that is matallic that makes the picture look almost 3D. It's really cool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2006, 07:19 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcer
thanks to Pine, I have started fiddling with PSE a lot more. . . I am pleased with the picture I altered for my Mexican Riviera cruise scrapbook. It's the first thing I've done that i actually like!
, Jenn!!!!! That is SO "kewl"!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes