Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-15-2008, 06:36 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you bite the shipping bullet? (Papertrey)

Just curious after the thread on the shipping change over at PTI how many ended up biting the bullet, and ordering anyway. I live in the US, so it didn't affect me, but I know it is/was a big issue for our northern neighbors and other friends around the world.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I had placed an order almost every month prior to Papertrey changing their shipping price. I did not this month because I feel we should have a choice and I feel if was I was only going to buy for example two stamp sets, I shouldn't have to pay $18.45 in shipping. We should have a choice like before. I've been ordering for years online and have never had a problem from items that I have purchased in the States getting lost. That's my 2 cents worth.

My evolving gallery
My New Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #3  
scrapperazzi

I'm Canadian and the answer is no for me. I did look there are a couple of sets I like but I won't be buying them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Nope, not me. I wanted to, but couldn't justify paying $20 to ship one set, two inkpads, and a couple of packs of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Thankfully it's not an issue for me, but I would think that with all the Canadian buyers of PTI, that they would consider sending @ least the stamps in an envelope, sheets of stamps only. Not the fancy packaging. It would be a cheaper way to ship. And since PTI has such a great rep, maybe Canadian buyers or other international buyers would just have to sign a waiver as far as the shipping goes, since apparently they have no way to track the packages without an expensive option. I don't know.....I would personally just bite the shipping costs as a company because of the loss of $$$ otherwise. JMHO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Not to offend anyone from Canada (because they don't have any control over this) but it is very difficult to mail things to Canada. It's the Canadian side that is very picky. My husband and I sell on ebay from time to time, and sometimes after months something would come back from Canadian customs and we couldn't understand why. We had filled out the paperwork and sometimes we could mail two things to Canada, one might go though fine and the other would get held up.

On one hand I feel bad for those Canadians trying to purchase from the states or elsewhere, but on the other hand I feel bad for merchants because of how difficult and time consuming it is to ship to Canada.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I just came back from mailing a su set to Canada from Michigan and it was less than $4. It went 1st class international.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:46 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I didn't order anything and I won't pay $18.45 for shipping a $6 pack of paper. I'm going to save up any items I want from them and order them this summer when we go to the States for a week and I'll get them shipped there. I'm ordering a couple of things through a friend who's in-laws are vacationing in the states soon and will bring back some stuff. This work-around isn't totally satisfactory, but it's better than paying $18.45. I do like their stuff, but enough other stuff from other places is just as nice and will do me just fine.

I think that the PTI company can make their own decisions as they see fit for their business and I can make my own decisions about where I buy my stamping supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

My answer is NO, unfortunately I couldn't buy anything. Two sets of stamps, 2 or 3 ribbons and 2 ink pads will cost me over $28!!! I was tempted but if I stop and think, then it is not worth it to pay $28 for the shipping charges only. I will probably wait a few months, and order some sets of stamps and send them to a friend in the US, so she can send them to me without all the heavy packaging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in the US and still very often will not order from a company (not just PTI but they are one) because of shipping costs. I generally am only able to afford to spend a small amount...and often the shipping is too prohibitive to make sense for the small amount I can spend. So I do without - or find another company with lower shipping rates. In particular, it drives me nuts when acrylic stamps have high shipping...because they weigh next to nothing. But most places charge a flat shipping rate and charge enough to cover for the possibility of paper or blocks or heavier things.

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Actually, there IS a choice, and you made yours, lol! I make similar choices all the time. Like Troopersma, the choice I want isn't always available. I can't begin to count how many shopping carts I open that just get cancelled at the shipping charge page. Or when I get the message, "sorry, that coupon code doesn't apply to this item," another one of my (NOT) favorites.

All I know is, companies generally do not go into business just so they can alienate customers and create bad feeling. So if things come up that customers react badly to, I think it's a safe bet that they weren't done maliciously. Don't take it so personally, perhaps, and try to believe that they don't like it any better than their customers do, and that every effort IS being made to find an acceptable alternative.

Last edited by MSBetsyZ; 03-15-2008 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

From a retailers perspective, shipping without any tracking can be a real liability and the costs of packages "not received" can be substantial.

When I first started selling before I realized I could add delivery confirmation to first class shipments, I was reshipping $60-$100 worth of product a month (which, when you're itty bitty, is a lot of $). I had one customer who I had to ship to three times because she just never seemed to be receiving her item. However, when I started putting delivery confirmation on everything, the number of undelivered packages went down to nearly zero.

I have been able to keep my international shipping prices relatively low because I'm still doing a lot of manual transaction processing. But, when your company is bigger and the number of orders per day is so high that you can't pull out the international shipments and handle them separately, the only way you can manage shipping is to go automated, which usually means UPS and higher rates.

There comes a point in the evolution of a business when automation has to take over so the company can survive. Sometimes, this results in consequences like higher shipping. But without a higher level of automation or the protection against loss offered by shipping UPS or another trackable method, a company like Paper Trey might not be able to grow and survive and continue to develop and offer their products.

JMTC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Another thought...

Perhaps Paper Trey could be enticed to sell wholesale to a distributor in Canada or smaller retailers in the US.

I know that is another can of worms for a small company, but that would be one way to provide more shipping options for international customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default not this time

Sadly, I didn't order this time. I just started getting back into ordering.
The worst part is that I've been wanting a Wedding Set for a few years now and really like Alli's set. And the new colours! oh my!
Oh well, guess I'll have to keep looking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I passed on the order this month as well. I am not that happy with the previous sets I bought (the sentiments being way too small to read) and after I realized that the first two ink pads and paper were so close to SU I have sent my order back to paper trey. This months colors are a little different but I have to stop somewhere and with this shipping cost situation I am not going to pay that much.

And for the lady that mentioned about the shipping to Canada being on the Canadian side for the problems. I have been shipping packages to the US for the past three years to college students with no problems. This past January I shipped two packages and one took a month to get there and was damaged (as the person said it looked like it travelled all over the world) and the second package is still MIA. Something has changed lately and both post offices on the US and Canadian side are having issues.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

We are going to my sister's in N.C. for Easter so I had my order shipped to her. Otherwise, I would not have ordered either-can't justify the shipping, the post office fees, the GST tax-all of that and I could get one or two SU stamp sets, or a LOT more Bella's!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

nope. I won't pay that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by troopersmaView Post
I'm in the US and still very often will not order from a company (not just PTI but they are one) because of shipping costs. I generally am only able to afford to spend a small amount...and often the shipping is too prohibitive to make sense for the small amount I can spend. So I do without - or find another company with lower shipping rates. In particular, it drives me nuts when acrylic stamps have high shipping...because they weigh next to nothing. But most places charge a flat shipping rate and charge enough to cover for the possibility of paper or blocks or heavier things.

Jane
If you are in the US then it is not an issue. You can get free shipping with a $40 order or pick Priority shipping which is very reasonable in the states.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I didn't do an order ..... I love Alli's set ... did you know she's Cdn?

My SCS Gallery
My Blog: Live Love Laugh and STAMP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Okay, for those of us who missed the other thread that the op was talking about, what is happening with shipping outside of the U.S.? I'm in the States so it obviously doesn't effect me, but in reading this thread, you all have me wondering. TIA!
:>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I understand how those of you in Canada feel. I live in Alaska and most of the time when we order (not just stamping items) we have to pay extra shipping because we're not part of the "contiguous" United States. Therefore I don't order from those companies that charge extra shipping.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 02:48 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Default NO ORDER AGAIN THIS MONTH

No... I didnt order again this month because of the postage I cant justify that much on postage... thinking about waiting and saving and putting in one big order maybe every four months but it will still be about $50 postage, which is 2 stamps sets....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 03:42 AM   #23  
Stamping is a Hoot!

I didn't order ... I really would have liked to especially as my DD is getting married this year and some of those stamps may have come in handy when I was creating various projects later for her wedding ... however when I put just a few things in the cart the shipping was way too expensive so I just didn't bother going any further with it. I used to purchase Papertrey fairly often in the past, but guess I won't from now on

I Design for Elizabeth Craft Designs and Karen Burniston
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: somewhere between S.K. and waiting for both kids to be in school.
Question Perhaps someone here could help me....

I want to order this set...

favor it weddings

but with a shipping price of $18.95 I can't possibly justify it for a $5 stamp set especially when I have had a SU set sent to me for less than $5 box and all. So here is my request...could someone who lives near a store that sells this product purchase it for me and then mail it to me the cheapest way possible.

Please LMK if you can help and the cost to ship it to CANADA postal code L7L 7M3

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love the quality of Papertrey's stamps and their white cardstock is simply wonderful for Copics! I would LOVE to play with all their new ribbon and dp but I cannot justify that amount of shipping on anything......even stamps! *sigh* I just wish there was a Canadian distributor for their wonderful products!

KRAFTIN' KIMMIE STAMPS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmanicholasView Post
I want to order this set...

favor it weddings

but with a shipping price of $18.95 I can't possibly justify it for a $5 stamp set especially when I have had a SU set sent to me for less than $5 box and all. So here is my request...could someone who lives near a store that sells this product purchase it for me and then mail it to me the cheapest way possible.

Please LMK if you can help and the cost to ship it to CANADA postal code L7L 7M3
This product is only available online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I lived in Canada and had time and some space, I'd contact Papertrey about working out a distributorship deal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I ordered but I made it worth my while and put in a huge order. I love their stamps, the new paper and accessories so I justify it that way. I have a few other girls in my stamping groups that order PTI products too so I am thinking of asking them if they want to combine orders with me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurieFView Post
I ordered but I made it worth my while and put in a huge order. I love their stamps, the new paper and accessories so I justify it that way. I have a few other girls in my stamping groups that order PTI products too so I am thinking of asking them if they want to combine orders with me.
Hey Laurie, I ordered too, I just ordered paper and ribbon. It's awesome paper, and I figure if I want it, I guess I have to pay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm so disappointed that I have been unable to order this month. Shipping to the UK is $24 and the stamp set is only $15. I do understand that PTI have had a lot of problems with delays and product not reaching their customers but I think that PTI will lose so many, many orders with the new postal charges resulting in lost custom that this may present an even bigger problem for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I was bad and spent way too much money but I really like their products. Let me know if you want to combine next month. Maybe the other girls will want to do it too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy_haffnerView Post
Hey Laurie, I ordered too, I just ordered paper and ribbon. It's awesome paper, and I figure if I want it, I guess I have to pay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think that it wold be great to have some opportunities to combine shipping. I know there's a PTI forum on splitcoast, so that might be a good place to start a thread and work towards matching people and shipping locations.

If there were others in Eastern Ontario wanting to put in an order, I'd certainly be interested in sharing shipping costs for example. It did say on the PTI website that shared orders could be credited to the individual regarding stamp sets qualifying for the free-set incentive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 07:07 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

I only ordered for my Secret Friend swap because I really wanted to bless her, but I won't ever again.
Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 07:10 AM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen Stamps!View Post
I think that it wold be great to have some opportunities to combine shipping. I know there's a PTI forum on splitcoast, so that might be a good place to start a thread and work towards matching people and shipping locations.

If there were others in Eastern Ontario wanting to put in an order, I'd certainly be interested in sharing shipping costs for example. It did say on the PTI website that shared orders could be credited to the individual regarding stamp sets qualifying for the free-set incentive.
That's a great idea! I'd be willing to combine with others in Atlantic Canada if anyone is interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Default THANKS <LARUE> for the mention of cheap shipping to Canada!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by larueView Post
I just came back from mailing a su set to Canada from Michigan and it was less than $4. It went 1st class international.
I am greatful for you mentioning how cheap shipping to Canada can be. I have been selling and buying on eBay for over 8 years and it's frustrating when people tell me how "difficult" shipping to Canada is and would not send items over the border due to the "work" involved....

It does take a few more minutes to stand in line and all of 1 minute to fill the customs forms (we have the same amount of work shipping small packages to the US and the cost to ship to the US is more expensive compared to the prices to send items here) but I don't mind paying a few dollars for handling fees for the sellers time

I just recieved a Jumbo SU Wheel which cost the seller all of $1.92 to ship. I have also in the past received 4 medium SU sets for less than 12$....

I have done (for years) volume shipping to the US at one time and although it was a lot of work, it was the nature of conducting business and being open to a larger market. I just got better and faster filling out the green customs forms.....just me humble 2 cents
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Looking to split shipping costs in Calgary/Edmonton area ; I order paper (usually not stamps sets), so am looking at the higher shipping costs. PM me if you are interested.

I tried Willow01, but have not heard back from her. Charlene, you out there??

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

It looks they have worked out something for the international shipping charges. You have to spend $100 to see the discount. That should be easy to do with all the great things they offer. or you and a friend could combine your orders and share the discount as well.

http://forum.papertreyink.com/forum/....php?f=8&t=559

From the Papertrey Forum:
Julie asked me to post something on the forum to let you know we are now offering a shipping discount to our beloved International customers.

Until we get our new ordering system in place she will have to modify your order "after" you place it....but she will be making the following changes to your orders....

Any International order placed that is $100 or more will receive a $10 discount.

Any International order placed that is over $200 will receive a $20 discount.

Hope this helps with the shipping charges. It will allow us to continue to provide tracking information and insurance coverage while easing the burdon of shipping costs...

The Papertrey Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

i am sorry to0 hear about the shipping changes, and although i am technically us i am overseas at an apo and lots of companies do not send to apo addresses, which is very frustrating when you have nothin here. and then those who do ship want to charge half of what the product price is or me .. so i do understand on the shipping internationly. on the other hand i understand on the lost items too. ... i now have been waiting for a package from another company that was sent out over a month ago and my swaps that have been sent out about 3 weeks ago and i have nothing. i am just hoping it is a delay and not lost. and sadly i saw in the p.o. that some prices ar going up again in may.
when does it ever end?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the update Debbie207! That's great news. It really wouldn't be hard to spend $100 with all those fabulous colours of paper, ribbon and ink and wonderful stamps....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Debbie! That does make it affordable. I'll order every couple of months and won't have a problem spending $100 or more, and the discount would bring the shipping down to what it would have been before. I'm happy with this solution.
Reply With Quote Likes