Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Designing Craft Space--HELP! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/designing-craft-space-help-21499/)

stampandscrap1954 12-29-2004 05:25 AM

Designing Craft Space--HELP!

I'm designing a new space (15x20) for stampin/scrappin', and I want to do it RIGHT!! I'm planning 30" deep counters, slat walls for hanging ...and there I stall out.

What elements do you LOVE about your craft space?
What would you do differently next time?

Thanks for your help!!

jdmeeks 12-29-2004 05:42 AM

I love the lateral file cabinets. I have six of them and they help very much with storage. I also just received an ink pad rack from SU Ink.net for Christmas and that is wonderful too (in fact I like it so much I have purchased another rack and the paper stand). Organization is very key!

kvmnh 12-29-2004 05:55 AM

I am also in the process of designing my stamping room. My room will be a bit smaller than yours so I have decided I want a closet with bi-louver doors on one of the short walls. I will paint it the same color as the walls so it blends in better. This way I can store my paper away from light and close the doors to hide some of the mess. I tend to get very messy when I stamp. two more months and i hope we will be in our new house. :)

iluvf14 12-29-2004 06:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Lucky you!! You'll love it! I did mine last year in a spare bedroom and have a counter along one whole wall (30" deep, too). The one major thing I would do (and hope to do this year) is lighting. Once the counters are up, the lighting really needs to come from above, not just lamps. I'd love to do track lighting and may look into it this year if I can come up with the $$.

I'm going to try & add a photo of my room when it was just about done.....

Lisa V.

Shell 12-29-2004 06:22 AM

I'm working on re-organizing my space, too. I have a big room, and the one thing that I *need* to add is shelves. I need some above my work table to take off the 'clutter'. I got a big unit at Sam's that has a bunch of bins. This thing is wonderful to hold set samplers, extra cards, ribbon, and a lot of my business stuff (incentive stamps, bags, technique booklets, etc). I will be making a place for my extra Mono refills, too, since I have discovered Viking.

I love having a 'station' for my Xyron and another for my Sizzix, too. This works out really well for me.

I can't wait to get mine just the way I want it (of course, then, I will want to change it again! LOL!). I will post pics ... when and if it ever gets done!

demodarla 12-29-2004 06:24 AM

I agree. Lighting is everything! I also had someone who works with wood make me a holder for all of my stamp pads. This holder hangs on the wall which is a great space saver on the counter top. I'm hoping this year to come up with a way of storing all of my pens and markers on the wall as well.

pear52 12-29-2004 07:05 PM

I love my studio - especially since we got a laptop and ditched the big old computer. It's so nice to put the computer away so I have more counter space. I by nature am very messy. I seem to get things cleaned up and then get started on a night of stamping and it looks a mess.

But, the one thing I would do differently is the lighting. The lamps get in the way and tend to get really hot. I still need to get a beter ribbon management systeml. I don't use ribbon a lot, but when I do I hate to have to get down my plastic containers and fumble through them.

Good Luck!!!

MamieSuzanne 12-29-2004 08:09 PM

What I would do differently...

... if I could, would be to add electrical outlets. I only have one, and when I want to sew something onto my card, I tend to trip over the cord when I get up.

If I were to bring a laptop to my space, I would be missing a plug in.

Good luck with your plans.

Jami 12-29-2004 08:35 PM

I love my stamp room too. One of the things I really love is having my paper cutter on a "kitchen island" cart so it is counterheight. I am 5'9" and when I used to have my paper cutter on a card table it killed by back. Another thing I love is having my room decorated with bright walls and curtains - makes me feel happy just to be in there.

LadyScrppr 12-29-2004 09:14 PM

I am going to try to add some of my pictures. This is my first time. After I add the pics, I will tell you what I love about my room.

Inkalicious 12-29-2004 09:16 PM

Try this link!!! Or go to Gallery, scrol down and scroll theu till you see Special collections-Stampin Spaces.
Tandra
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/....com&password=

Inkalicious 12-29-2004 09:38 PM

bump

LadyScrppr 12-29-2004 10:19 PM

no luck adding pics. They are too big. If you want to see them PM me. Sorry.

Sandybeach 12-30-2004 01:14 AM

Have you ever seen this book:

How to Organize Your Scrapbook Workspace:
Storage Solutions for any Budget

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...03934?v=glance

It is really good!

Jami 12-30-2004 06:58 AM

That looks like a cool book. I love organizational stuff. I don't scrapbook much (I heard that loud gasp :roll: ) so how much would the stuff apply to stamp supplies?

artfulpath 12-30-2004 07:23 AM

Don't forget the pegboard! :!:

Beth R.

amylmason 12-30-2004 08:11 AM

I too am designing my craft room, and here is one thing nobody has mentioned. I don't like staring at a wall 30" away from my face, so I am using a peninsula in my room. It sticks out about 5 ft I think. There are 2 file cabinet drawers on one end. This makes a u shape that is just big enough that I can get to all of the drawers on one side, and the floor to ceiling cabinets on the back wall for storage space. the side wall will have peg board to hang all of the things I use regularly to get mor stuff off of the counter top. i have the cabinet layout drawing if you are intereseted.

Amy

KateStamps 12-30-2004 10:29 AM

Something else to think about, and I'm debating it for myself, is putting the counter-top at barstool height. I'm 5'9" too, and I often seem to have projects that work better if I'm standing...paper cutting, butt-stamping, etc. So maybe it would be worth the extra $ to go ahead and make the counter higher to begin with. You'd get the extra storage space of it being a little higher, and they make really comfortable barstools these days. Oh, and make sure you put outlets above the counter-top, regardless of how high it is. It's so migh easier to plug in the embossing gun when the plug is right in front of you.

Kate

(edited because I can't type to save my life today.)

LadyScrppr 12-30-2004 09:53 PM

Counter height for those of us that are 5'9" is great because getting up and down for things across the room at 3 AM is easier if there is less UP.

Butt stamping, hah that made me reflect on earlier posts and smile.