Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-20-2004, 02:27 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Warning! Mary Uchida punches don't work!!!!!

I am very upset with Mary Uchida. I just purchased two of the large Marvy Uchida square punches and neither of them works. Both of them chew up the edges of both paper and cardstock. I tried the 7 layers of foil and wax paper and they still chew up both copy paper and cardstock.

I called customer service and was told I could return them for new punches but I have to pay the postage. Since these weigh a lot, it will cost about $6.00 to $7.00 to ship them back. Since I paid $37.00 for them, I don't think I should have to pay the postage for their defective items, but they won't reimburse me for the return. Since I bought these from Joann.com, I would still have to pay the postage to return them to Joann.com so either way I feel CHEATED!!!!!!!!

I wanted to warn everyone about their defective punches and their return policy. I sure won't be buying their products ever again!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 02:34 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what's up. I have several punches made by them and they're great even after several years.
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

can't you return joann.com purchases to the store? i know most places like gap etc will take internet returns in the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 02:55 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I bought a small one at an LSS a few years ago and returned it for the same reason. The store owner even took a couple off the shelf and tried them with the same results. I exchanged it for paper. :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 03:18 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I've had trouble with them, too. The ones I bought a couple years ago still work great, but the last two I purchased recently don't cut very well. I wonder if they changed something in the way they make them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 03:26 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder if punching through super-fine grit sandpaper might sharpen them?

I nearly bought some of it to try and see . . . but, of course, forgot.

I am very surprised Joann's will not take them back as they are defective! :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 03:29 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I recently bought three different sized tag punches from Michael's that were from Marvy and I did have a little problem with the largest one fraying at the edges but the foil technique seemed to solve the problem. At least it solved it enough, anyway. I've never had a problem with punches but I don't have very many large ones either. How do Stampin Up's large circle and square punches stack up compared to others?

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 03:38 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Default punches

I have both square and round BIG punches from SU! and I love them to DEATH!!! i would not trade them for the world, and they were soooo inexpensive!!!! They are WONDERFUL!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 03:58 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

You can use super fine grit sand paper on your punches you can also file the edges of the metal punch with a nail file where the offensive edges are occuring.

Now if you would like to take it apart to check the inside I find the Marvey Ushida hard to get apart even when throwing them across the room! You have to actually use tools and bang really hard on the cement floor in the garage. I do not recommend this method to anyone. However if you happen to have friends over at the time, as I did. They will find you a great source of entertainment.

Someone please tell me what Rebecca Sower does to her flower punch to make it punch through all that funky paper.

Marnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 04:06 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapmommy3
I find the Marvey Ushida hard to get apart even when throwing them across the room!
Marnie, that's so funny! I have a friend who bought a Marvy Easter egg punch. It was supposed to kick out egg-shaped paper with little decorations punched out. However, all she got was the confetti from the decorations. We tried to take that stupid thing apart because we KNEW there were eggs in there somewhere! It didn't just dissolve the paper (or did it). We never could make that punch work.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 04:17 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have quite a few of these punches and have not ever had a problem. I agree with some of the other posts that JoAnn's won't accept them back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 04:59 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieber
How do Stampin Up's large circle and square punches stack up compared to others?
I must confess, I'm a huge EK Success Paper Shaper fan--addicted to 'em! When they began making these for SU! I was THRILLED! And, I love and use mine like crazy! I have tendonitis in my right arm/hand, so it really helps me a LOT. AND, never seem to jam at all, unlike some of the other punches I own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 06:27 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

[quote="TinnaleeWe tried to take that stupid thing apart because we KNEW there were eggs in there somewhere! It didn't just dissolve the paper (or did it). We never could make that punch work.[/quote]

I'm sure those eggs were in there, somewhere, as well. The thing that gets me is it's the same punch that was used according to a book I had. I was doing a swap out of that book and making that particular item with the same paper etc. Mine never worked don't know how the original artist got hers to work. And I bought her new book this weekend. She is still using the same punch???????

I agree with Julie the papershapers are awesome! I'm thrilled SU is selling these. Customers are happy demo's are happy everyone is happy. Now if they would just get the tag shaped punches I would be thrilled. Or the shoes and purses!

Marnie
Reply With Quote Likes