Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Delayed Release of SU Catty (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/delayed-release-su-catty-355488/)

PenguinCityLady 06-14-2008 06:01 AM

Delayed Release of SU Catty

I am just wondering what possessed SU to delay the release of their next caddy. I read somewhere on here that is so the demos get first peak at convention.

What about the thousands and thousands of paying customers? No offense, please don't take any offense, but why is it important the demos ONLY get to see it before mid August? I know the demos spend lots of money, but compared to their customer base, I have to ask if they are doing themselves harm by delaying the release.

I guess I'm mostly disappointed because I wasn't all that impressed with their S/S catty stamp sets. Now they are delaying the release until mid-August.

Even when my stamping club doesn't meet in the summer, I usually ordered 12 months a year from SU. Not this year, I'm spending my money elsewhere until the new caddy comes out because there isn't anything else I want to order from the S/S catty. So, basically, they missed out on two $75 to $100 orders. That's just one customer.

What about the rest of you? Please don't take offense to this post, I'm just confused by their thinking that it's good for business to deny thousands of customers access to the new caddy so only the demos and those attending convention have first dibs on the catty.

Is my thinking twisted?

I have a great demo here in Cut Bank Montana: Pam Murray - She's awesome! When I discussed this with her, she shrugged her shoulders and said her sales have dropped with two catties a year and she's not please at all with this delay.

Sorry for this vent, but I'm just curious!

Sibylle 06-14-2008 06:13 AM

I'm a demo not going to convention and quite frankly, I wasn't happy either. It leaves very little time until the next catty, certainly not 6 months. I don't get their thinking, and I haven't been too happy with their catty lately. I would guess you are not alone in your thoughts.

alanasnana 06-14-2008 06:31 AM

My problem with two catty's per year is I don't have time or funds to buy all the stamp sets I want before they retire on you. I liked it better when there was only one catty per year. I'm sure its hard on DEMOS to come up with new sets to demo at stamp clubs with two catties per year. Plus, we have to purchase two catties per year. I could take that money and get a stamp set and just view the catty on line. Just my thoughts.

kluvsj711 06-14-2008 07:12 AM

If I'm not mistaken, it isn't so only demos get to see it before August...it is so demo going to CONVENTION get to see it first. I'm a demo not going to convention, so I won't get it either. I think is an added bonus to go to convention. I think if they want to reveal it at convention fine, but hold the convention mid-July and keep the release date! This delay will probably make me go inactive, as all my customers are waiting for the new catalog to order. I can not make my minimums on my own this quarter. Oh well, I've enjoyed my 2 1/2 years as a demo.

momis mama 06-14-2008 07:37 AM

no harm no foul here!

i am not a demo but i am an SU! addict. i will be buying no matter when i actually get to see the new catalog!

i think it is a great idea and a reward so to speak to the demos that will be going to convention.

also an extra couple weeks to save some $$$ up

NYstamper 06-14-2008 08:14 AM

As a demo who is also not going to convention, I was a bit dissapointed, as I can't wait to see the new catalog. I am always excited to see all of the new things. However, I don't feel that it is that big of a deal that I have to wait a couple of weeks. From what I understand, SU used to release the catalog to convention attendees first awhile back, and then switched to releasing it at a different time. I really doesn't matter to me, and I also like the fact that I think with the new dates, it means that it isn't as close to the Holidays with retirement lists and new catalog shipping, etc. I'm not sure of the actual dates off the top of my head. I do remember that there was concern that with shipping catalogs in December, how long of a delay at such a busy time of the year. I also love that they went to two catalogs a year. I love to see new releases, whether it be SU, Gina K, Cornish Heritage Farms, or some of the newer companies like Unity Stamps. I look forward to them, even though I love SU and am my own best customer, (along with alot of other demos, I'm sure), I love to see what all of the other companies have coming out and can't wait to order from them either.

Leticia 06-14-2008 08:20 AM

August............ argh!!!
I know, for me, my money is going to back-to-school shopping in August.:(

NYstamper 06-14-2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leticia (Post 10160059)
August............ argh!!!
I know, for me, my money is going to back-to-school shopping in August.:(

Me too, and add to that my DH teaches, so I am the only one bringing home a paycheck in the summer. One of the reasons I try to put a little away each week, so that I can get the new colors and a couple of new sets, and a couple new accessories until school starts up again. I have been lucky, the last two years I haven't had to really buy alot of clothes for either of my kids, but this year, I think they will make up for it. Plus my oldest will be in 7th grade next year. I wonder what she would say if I told her that she can't have all of the latest styles, because Mom has to have all of the latest stamps sets.;)

Mrsjvb 06-14-2008 08:52 AM

My only complaint is the fact that we are having to fork out $10 twice now for a a catalog that may or may not have a butt ton of new and exciting stuff that I will want. not every Demo is able to give away the catalogs for free under any circumstances.

Of course I don't order monthly, but when I do I basically am hosting a show on my own.

Kathy my new Demo is gonna love me in the next couple of weeks! heheheh

indyemmert 06-14-2008 08:59 AM

I'm not offended at all by your comment. However, I'll give my opinion as well. I did not like the January 1/July 1 catalog schedule. The first reason is these are both right at a holiday. It makes it hard to get a delivery of catalogs on time and hard to schedule a time to get the catalogs out to my customers. Also, January is not a good time financially to be able to place a nice new catalog order. I think this 2 catalogs a year schedule is hard to get used to, but it's nice to have new stuff twice a year! I don't know if they could come up with a perfect time to get new catalogs out.
As far as demonstrators at convention getting the catalog first, that is how it was when I first signed up with SU. They were also able to order out of the catalog first. I think there have to be some benefits to spending a lot of money to go to convention (which I can't afford), and I think getting to preorder and get the catalog first is also one of the benefits of being a demonstrator. We have to be familiar with the new products and try to have samples ready for our customers too.

live4stampin 06-14-2008 09:16 AM

Actually, January is always my biggest month!!! As a CTMH consultant, we have new catties coming out every 4 months... Of course, ours are a lot cheaper to purchase (I only end up paying $1.42 per catalog, so I can give them away), and not as big, but my customers love to have 3 times the ideas in a year, and new products coming out more often. I think the reason people spend money in January is the Christmas money they got... ;)

Just my .02!
Anne

amysings 06-14-2008 09:18 AM

Jana's right. So many people (customers and demos) complained last year that a retiring list in December was terrible--no money at Christmas time. And then January, still no one had any money for new stamps! And 4th of July for a new catalog???? What were they thinking??? LOLOL

So Stampin Up reacted to those suggestions/complaints and moved the catalog schedule. Apparently there used to be a tradition of demos getting the new catty at Convention, so they decided to go back to that. It also gives demos a week or so to get to know the catalog, so they can give really great customer service.

No schedule is going to be good for all of us. Have you ever tried to schedule a family reunion? :-) Almost impossible, and that's usually 100 or so people. I will be happy to get new stamps whenever they show up!

RachelAM 06-14-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibylle (Post 10159044)
I'm a demo not going to convention and quite frankly, I wasn't happy either. It leaves very little time until the next catty, certainly not 6 months. I don't get their thinking, and I haven't been too happy with their catty lately. I would guess you are not alone in your thoughts.

The new catalog will still be 6 months, because the next catalog won't be released Jan. 1 like it was this year. They are pushing back that catalog too so that the retirement list/new catalog both come out after the holidays. This way people won't have to choose between retiring stamp sets and Christmas gifts.

ebethneu 06-14-2008 09:39 AM

I felt like when the S/S catty came out we had JUST got the F/W it was really fast, but waiting for the next one is too long.

I wasn't impressed with the SS catty and didn't end up ordering much. I had joined as a demo last August for myself and had no problem making the minimums on my own at first. But I won't be making my minimum this quarter and I'm nervous about the new catty and not liking any of it.

I was also confused to see ANY Christmas sets in the S/S. It's fine to not retire them all and have them for order, but it seemed like a waste of space or filler. I would have loved to see some more Valentine/ Easter sets.

And there was only that one mini this year too? This was definately a year that changed how I felt about SU.

LateBlossom 06-14-2008 11:12 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love having two catties per year (more eye candy, yeah!), and I'm glad they are shifting the release dates away from July 1/Jan 1. I just don't want to deal with the retired list the same month as Christmas.

Also, and maybe this is just 'cause I have so many stamps after 7 years of stamping, but it's sort of a relief when the new catty comes out and I don't want much from it. After so long, I've come to realize there are certain trends and such that just aren't my style--and more important, this is a temporary thing. Eventually, things will come back my way. I just save my money (or buy clothes, since my closet is so woefully understocked!) until the new stuff floats my boat.

I'm sorry that some people are upset by this change-about. When you really like one way of something and a company changes, it can really be frustrating. And isn't it cool that we have SCS to come to to talk about it?

mungojerry 06-14-2008 11:58 AM

Two catalogs is fine with me. And, the dates don't much matter to me either. It's one of the small things I choose not to sweat. :) We still have a full six months for each catalog. And, the stamp sets are guaranteed to be in at least one year, even if that means they are on the dormant list for one catalog period. SU is still my favorite.

Nicole's Mom 06-14-2008 01:24 PM

I don't like having two catalogs period. I think it is ridiculous. I also wish they would offer clear stamps. I hate not being able to see where I am stamping.

amysings 06-14-2008 01:29 PM

Well, I wish PTI would offer wood mounted red rubber, but they don't.

The stamping world is wide and varied. The benefit to that is we can all find what we like. Every company finds its market niche. Nobody *has* to buy from any particular company, right? It's not like SU is holding me hostage. Well, maybe. :-)

kerrym38 06-14-2008 01:32 PM

My demo told me that the reason SU! is waiting to unveil the catty at convention this year is because it's their 20th Anniversary. Frankly, I haven't been very excited with the last 2 or 3 catalogs they've had. Things have looked too much the same to me, so I haven't bought much. In the meantime I've discovered acrylics and love them. As a result, I rarely use my wood mounts and have gotten rid of most of them. That being said, I still look forward to the new catty so I can if there is anything in it that excited me. :o )

Kerry

PenguinCityLady 06-14-2008 01:36 PM

wow, I didn't think so many would respond!

When the retired list comes out, what will be the last date we can buy those stamps? Certainly not August 31!

kwelch10377 06-14-2008 01:45 PM

When it comes down to it not every company can make everyone happy. If you don't like a product or the way the company releases their products then don't buy from them. It doesn't bother me that they do two catties a year now, I think it helps keep things fresh and they can keep up better with the changing trends.

PenguinCityLady 06-14-2008 01:54 PM

Geez, believe me, Kwelch, I don't buy from companies that don't make me happy.

I would like to see fewer flowers in the SU catty and more men's, kids, and animals.

amysings 06-14-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinCityLady (Post 10162374)

When the retired list comes out, what will be the last date we can buy those stamps? Certainly not August 31!

The last day to order from the current catalog will be Aug 10. The new catalog will start at noon on Aug 11.

ctab 06-14-2008 02:01 PM

I love the two catties, and I'm perfectly okay with demos who go to convention getting to see the catty first. Maybe, that's because I'm a demo in the midwest and there are always demos who get the catty before me.

CknODaC 06-14-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

I believe August 10th is the last day demos can submit orders for retiring sets...

I know some of you think that the catalog release is set just so demos can get their catalog at convention. That is a perk of going to convention, but not the reason SU has changed the release date. As other posters have said, it is difficult to have a new catalog released on Jan. 1st due to the holidays. Demos were having a hard time justifying the expense of new catalogs during Christmas, customers were having a difficult time justifying purchasing stamps for themselves instead of gifts for family.

It all comes down to trying to release the catalog when it is most lucrative for customers and demos alike. I know even as a demo I cut WAY back on my preorder stuff last December, simply because it wasn't fair to my family that I was investing in my business instead of buying their Christmas presents...

And this "wait" will pass. Once the new release dates are in effect, this extra 5 weeks won't happen again... The January release is on 1-19-09, so it will be back to the 6 months cycle...

Hang in there, we're trying to work out the bumps in the road!

stINKer 06-14-2008 02:12 PM

still it doesnt seem fair to me that the demos who don't go to convention don't get to see it either. seems to me they could at least send y'all a catty if you're not going! after all, you're the ones doing all the work for them!;)

GreenDragonLady 06-14-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

The retired list should post June 15, and we have until August 10 to order stamp sets. So you will have almost two months.

I personally like two catties. More stamps to choose from! And any stamp set that was NEW to the S/S 2008 catalog is guaranteed to be available for one year (whether it is in the F/W 2008 catalog or on the dormant list) so if you didn't get it the first 6 months, you can get it the next.

I know it is hard for customers to purchase two catalogs; I give a catalog for a certain $ of order, plus my steady customers will get a F/W copy.

GreenDragonLady 06-14-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stINKer (Post 10162637)
still it doesnt seem fair to me that the demos who don't go to convention don't get to see it either. seems to me they could at least send y'all a catty if you're not going! after all, you're the ones doing all the work for them!;)

Oh, we do get a complimentary copy! We'll get one at the beginning of August. Convention is July 30-August 2...we are scheduled to receive our copy anywhere from August 1-August 11, depending on where we live and how the P.O. is.

CknODaC 06-14-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stINKer (Post 10162637)

all demos are being sent a copy. Those attending convention just get it on July 30th when we sign in at convention. For those not attending convention, catalogs are mailed to arrive between Aug 1st and 10th....

Sara in WI 06-14-2008 03:36 PM

I am not a demo. But I really don't think that 2 catalogs has increased my purchases. I should be going back to the dormant list to look and see what is still available once in awhile but I don't. My demo usually uses very new sets and papers from the minis and I usually order those because they are so darned cute and different. I personally, as a customer, would be perfectly happy if we went back to one big catalog per year and 3-4 minis. More paper and money saved, too!

NYstamper 06-14-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara in WI (Post 10163395)
I am not a demo. But I really don't think that 2 catalogs has increased my purchases.

Even as a demo, I don't know if it has really increased my purchases to go to two a year either. I do like that they are able to add things a bit more to hopefully keep up with the trends a bit more, since as a demo, if it isn't something that we sell, we technically can't demo it. So I was very happy to see the crop a dile in there and am hoping to see other things along that line in there.

Mewsin 06-14-2008 06:17 PM

I love having two catties. I was so bored with the one by the time the next year came.

Phantom 06-14-2008 06:29 PM

I haven't read all of the posts yet, but I don't like the decision either. Apparently it was because this was the 20th year and they wanted to go back to the way things used to be -- that convention-goers got the perk of being the FIRST. Personally, I think the solution to that was to go to two catalogs a year NEXT year, not the 20th anniversary year! It's absurd that they switch to two 6-month catalogs and then shorten the time period of one of the releases. I think it was a bad decision. Consistency would be beneficial to them -- customers want to know what to expect and when to expect it... not having to check and double-check online or with a demo about "what date is it NOW!?!" The new catalog should have come out on July 1st. I think the convention attendees would still have had plenty to do and lots of fun.

CknODaC 06-14-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 10165626)
I haven't read all of the posts yet, but I don't like the decision either. Apparently it was because this was the 20th year and they wanted to go back to the way things used to be -- that convention-goers got the perk of being the FIRST. Personally, I think the solution to that was to go to two catalogs a year NEXT year, not the 20th anniversary year! It's absurd that they switch to two 6-month catalogs and then shorten the time period of one of the releases. I think it was a bad decision. Consistency would be beneficial to them -- customers want to know what to expect and when to expect it... not having to check and double-check online or with a demo about "what date is it NOW!?!" The new catalog should have come out on July 1st. I think the convention attendees would still have had plenty to do and lots of fun.

This is not the case. They made this catalog longer, and moved BOTH release dates further out... January's catalog will be released on the 19th, and demos attending leadership will get the sneak peak of that one.

And it has less to do with the sneak peak aspect than overall market performance. Sales weren't that great releasing a catalog on Jan. 1st...

Phantom 06-14-2008 07:02 PM

I guess I just don't get it then. The last catalog came out Jan 1, didn't it? (I'm new - I'm not being sarcastic .. I have a terrible memory and have only been doing this for a year). So, 6 months would be July 1. Then you'd have the second from Jul 1 to Jan 1 of the next year. That's consistency to me. Now mid-month dates, delaying until Aug for convention, and the first time they split into two catalogs, they lost sales for two weeks?? Weird to me. I'd like to think that someone who isn't on Splitcoast or the SU website every day, week or month still can have some concept of what their cycle is, that's all.

ckbythesea 06-14-2008 07:06 PM

I liked having one catalog a year, and more minis. I have been anxiously awaiting the retiring list, but I guess I'll have more time than I thought to mull it over! ;)

amysings 06-14-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 10166153)
I guess I just don't get it then. The last catalog came out Jan 1, didn't it? (I'm new - I'm not being sarcastic .. I have a terrible memory and have only been doing this for a year). So, 6 months would be July 1. Then you'd have the second from Jul 1 to Jan 1 of the next year. That's consistency to me. Now mid-month dates, delaying until Aug for convention, and the first time they split into two catalogs, they lost sales for two weeks?? Weird to me. I'd like to think that someone who isn't on Splitcoast or the SU website every day, week or month still can have some concept of what their cycle is, that's all.

The original Jan/July schedule did not perform as expected, because of holidays. So, in response to market conditions and suggestions by customers and demos, Stampin Up is adjusting their schedule. Now it will be Aug 11 for the Fall/Winter catalog. Jan 19 is the projected date for the Spring/Summer catalog. It is a change, but that doesn't mean it is difficult to understand. Just new!

The cycle is still summer/winter, right? And theoretically, your demo would keep you updated as to what to expect. I know my I tell my customers about important things like the new catalog date! There was no "lost two weeks," because there is *always* a current catalog.

I hope that makes sense! Change is always hard!

CknODaC 06-14-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

I guess I just don't get it then. The last catalog came out Jan 1, didn't it? (I'm new - I'm not being sarcastic .. I have a terrible memory and have only been doing this for a year). So, 6 months would be July 1. Then you'd have the second from Jul 1 to Jan 1 of the next year. That's consistency to me. Now mid-month dates, delaying until Aug for convention, and the first time they split into two catalogs, they lost sales for two weeks?? Weird to me. I'd like to think that someone who isn't on Splitcoast or the SU website every day, week or month still can have some concept of what their cycle is, that's all

They are only extending this catalog in order to tweek the dates so the next catalog won't be posted on January 1st.

Old way:
Jan 1st Spring/Summer release
July 1st Fall/Winter release

New way:
Jan 19th Spring/Summer
Aug. 11 Fall/Winter

So they are still 6 month catalogs, but in order to get them "on track" for the moved back date, they either had to extend this current catalog or the next one... either way one catalog would have to be extended.

It only affects the length of time THIS catalog is available. All future catalogs will still be 6 months long, give or take a few days. Once this one time tweek is over, they will be on a more consistant cycle...

kwelch10377 06-14-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Someone who isn't on SCS should still be aware of when the next catty comes out, it should be the responsibilty of their demo to relay the information to them. One thing to keep in mind is that at least SU communicates this information, whether or not we find it on here or thru our demo, when you go into a place like AcMoore, Michaels or even a lot of time your LSS you don't always of a schedule of when items will be discontinued or released.

The other thing to keep in mind is it really is a transition year for SU with the catties, but at least it works to the our advantage since we have more time to purchase items from the current catty before they retire. It has also been said that the catty was not delayed just for the convention, but to realign to release dates of both the next catty and the retirement list.

Phantom 06-14-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CknODaC (Post 10166418)
....... All future catalogs will still be 6 months long, give or take a few days. Once this one-time tweak is over, they will be on a more consistent cycle...

All of your explanations are really perfectly clear - and thanks for taking the time to offer them. I guess I just do agree with the OP ... I'd have been just as happy without the 'tweaking'! I know SU customers are some of the most loyal on the planet so they'll just go with the flow, and that's great for everyone... I'd just like to offer one oft-referred to acronym K.I.S.S. -- and I know you all know what it means LOL!! But I'll add K.I.S.S.U. (Keep It Simple Stampin' Up!!) :mrgreen:

And a big *mwah* to Splitcoasters. No matter what the topic or differences of opinion... you rock, ladies.