Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deaf/HoH Stampers??

I've posted this on the Demo side a long time ago, but thought I should ask here under General Stamping Talk to see if there are other Deaf/Hard of Hearing stampers around here? I'm deaf as a post and LOVE stamping! I'm a Demo (a VERY Hobby one though).
Hope to hear from some of you soon.

~Wendy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I'm not deaf but my 12 yr old son is and he enjoys stamping. Does that count ?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Sure! Why not since you are invovled with deafness in some way. Nice to 'meet' you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Nice to meet you also!

Is your dd deaf also or is she hearing?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Actually, I am DEAF MYSELF. My 3 year old DD is hearing and signs and sometimes stamps with me. Do you know Sign Language? What about the others here on SCS?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 05:26 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

We tried a few different modes of communication before we settled on a combination of SEE/oral. He attends a wonderful private school for the deaf in Seattle and they utilize SEE. My younger 2 can sign pretty well but we all have a hard time keeping up with someone who signs quickly. My brain just cant process that quickly ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Not deaf, but very HOH. Wear an aid in one ear and will be getting one as soon as I can for the other ear, insurance isn't real helpful with this issue. I'm also a demo, I'd like to be more "business" oriented, and I have several great customers that I hold a stamp club with that keep me going and are very understanding of my hearing problems. Sometimes I feel like I'm all alone with this hearing issue (I know I'm really not, but...) so it is very nice to "hear" of someone else who has to deal with this as well.

Nice to meet ya!

Love SU!? Join the Crew!
The CreativeCrew <The Gallery
CreativeCrew Play Along <The Challenges
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 06:50 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I'm not deaf or HoH, but I know we have at least one TAC demo who is. She has commented on email groups about it before.
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 07:54 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi! Yay! Nice to see other Deaf stampers around here! I, myself am profoundly deaf and had cochlear implant operation recently. I use ASL as my primary mode of communication. I am a die hard Stampin UP fan and am considering to become a demo but it has to wait for my husband's approval ha ha. I teach ASL classes at colleges around here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Yep, count me in! LOL I have hearing aids both sides. I have always had ear problems and +++ operations since a young child and my hearing has become less and less over the years. I've had aids since I was in my early 40's (now 5 but should've had them earlier - would've made my life (and everyone around me) a LOT easier! My family and friends are very good and 'aware'. I don't sign but lip read mostly. I have a good friend who is totally deaf, also a keen stamper (and very talented) who lives in Canada. I've been trying to get her to join here but she's a bit nervous about it. She would love it here I know. I'll have to tell her she won't be alone if she joins us now that I know there are others on SCS like her.
Tilly
Kaiwaka, New Zealand
Happy Fan Club member.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am hearing impaired in one ear due to Meniere's. It is so hard to adjust to the loss and I feel like my brain is numb. It takes twice as long to process stuff as I have to make sure I hear right, and taking classes is especially hard. It makes for some hilarious conversations sometimes tho! But thank the Lord I don't have to hear to stamp!
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2006, 08:41 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not deaf but am HOH. I have tried hearing aides but they drove me crazy. I guess because I have had hearing loss since I was a small child, I've gotten used to not hearing a lot of sounds. Much of my loss is in the mid-range so I have a very hard time with voices and TV.

Ironically, I start ASL classes tomorrow! It's something that has always interested me. I know some but want to become fluent (and may need to be someday). My kids go to a school that also has the regional Deaf and HOH program in it so I could probably get a job at the school once I know more.

-Joyce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 01:54 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow ladies, what a great thread! I started losing my hearing in one ear about a year ago (or that's when I noticed it at least). I have Otosclerosis and lost most of my hearing in one ear. I had a stapedectomy a month ago and now I can hear so much better. It was really difficult to adjust, so Becki I know exactly how you feel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Just sharing my good news! I got new hearing aids yesterday and WOW, what a difference! I didn't know my house was so noisy and that the birds outside sang so loud! LOL It's going to take awhile to get used to them I'm sure, but maybe now I won't be as crabby as I was before with my old ones which had passed their use-by-date a long way. These are the latest technology I'm told, and the cost was mind boggling, but ..... worth it I hope!
They're behind-the-ear ones, which I thought would be much more obvious than my previous in-ear ones, but they're not at all. DD says I should dress them up with some blings and ribbons and people will think they're earrings! LOL
Happy Fan Club member.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Congratulations Tilly!
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's great! I just recently had cochlear implant operation back in June and had it activated in July. I LOVE it! I am profoundly deaf since birth and relies on American Sign Language in order to communicate but I also can speak (not too great though). With cochlear implant I was able to hear a lot of sounds that I haven't heard before such as birds, dog collar tags clanging when dog walks around, my own kids voice (soo precious but not so precious when they whine or scream), I have so many more to list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I am HOH too. I have hearing aids for both ears. My left ear is pretty sad though. I need to get over to my hearing aid lady and have her fix the right one as it doesn't seem to be working even with new batteries. When they are working right, I love them. I am only 44 and have had them for a year and a half. I have needed them for at least 10 years though. Stubborn huh?
They can't help me with surgery, so I guess once my ears quit, I will be deaf too. I am currently learning ASL with my Granddaughter and it is way neat to be able to communicate with her as she is only 15 months old.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

In order to have cochler implant surgery, you have to be profoundly deaf to qualify as candiate. Lots of late-deafened adults go in that route as well as deaf infants. I was one of the few who chose to have surgery mainly for environment sounds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestermann
In order to have cochler implant surgery, you have to be profoundly deaf to qualify as candiate. Lots of late-deafened adults go in that route as well as deaf infants. I was one of the few who chose to have surgery mainly for environment sounds.
I didn't know that! Interesting. It is amazing to hear things you couldn't hear huh? I could not hear my mouse click until I got my aids. I also didn't hear the crickets out of my bathroom window in the summer without them. I am amazed at how much I was missing. Thanks for sharing the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2006, 02:47 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesarapp
I didn't know that! Interesting. It is amazing to hear things you couldn't hear huh? I could not hear my mouse click until I got my aids. I also didn't hear the crickets out of my bathroom window in the summer without them. I am amazed at how much I was missing. Thanks for sharing the info.
Me too Lisa! We are building a new home (pics on my website) way out in the country and have a little forest of our own of 2 acres filled with many kinds of birds. DH was always telling me how much they chattered all day but I would only get the occasional 'chirrp'. We were there yesterday evening to see what the builders had done during the day, and I was totally overwhelmed by the noises from our forest! It was awesome! I dropped a knife on the kitchen floor this morning and nearly died from shock at the loud noise! LOL I'm learning to adjust the volume and no doubt will find a happy medium in time. I am so grateful that I can benefit from aids when so many others do not have this opportunity. I feel very fortunate. Good thing we don't need our hearing to stamp, eh ...!!!??? LOL
Happy Fan Club member.
Reply With Quote Likes