Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twinkling H2Os or Pearl Ex

Which is the better deal? Which is easier to work with? I just used Pearl Ex this past weekend for the first time. I used it with a blender pen. Can the Twinkling H2Os be used with a blender pen? Which has a brighter color?

I am seeing a greater variety of colors with the H2Os but am wondering which would be the better investment.

I am need input in order to make a cost effective decision. I cannot afford to buy both products.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

I have both and they are very different, but if I was on a desert island and could only have one or the other, it would definitely be the H2Os - I'll be using them later this afternoon!
What's been keeping me busy: http://inkpaperyarnohmy.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Ditto - I have both but use my twinklers a lot more, colors can be intense or not depending on the amount of water used. Shimmers nice!! Love 'em.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Pearl-ex can be used for a few more techniques than the twinkling H20's but the H20's have a wider range of colors and are less messy. I believe they also sell the H20 colors in a mica format but the only time I've seen that is at shows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Have both, love both, but to me its like comparing apples to oranges. They are both fruits but it ends there. KWIM?

Personally, I would invest in a small amount of one, then small of the other. Check your local art supply stores as some carry individual jars (larger size) of Pearl Ex for about $4. I'd recommend Macro Pearl or Micro Pearl as a starter. See how much you use it, then decide from there. Love doing floral and lace backgrounds with versamark and Macro Pearl PEx over top for a beautiful shimmer.

Plus, check out as many tutorials and info sites as you can. Decide what techs you'd prefer to use and then buy the product corresponds to those techs most. Somewhere on SCS is a whole list of things to do with Pearl Ex, but not sure how much info is out there on H2O's (I watercolor paint, make backgrounds, fill in line stamps, paint directly on stamp then mist, etc with my H2O's)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I have both as well, but I use them differently. I use the H20's to "paint" my stamps, then lightly mist with water and stamp. Instead of Pearl-Ex, I use Perfect Pearls, because I wanted more variety of colors and I could buy a smaller quantity of each color (in a set) at JoAnn's or Michaels and use a 40% coupon!!! Much less expensive!!! So that made a lot of difference. Check out the Perfect Pearls, use your coupon and then buy a small set (maybe 4) of the Twink. H20's and you can try both. I love to sponge on ink for a background and then using a fluffy brush, add a bit of Perfect Pearls to it to give it some shimmer. Good luck!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

grrrr I hate Pearl EX... no matter what I do.. I never get em on right! I tried Future Wax thing.. no good! I have both Series 1 and 2. I don't know what to do with them. I give up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I only have pearl Ex...since they have three sets now, there is a good variety of colors. I did get mine at Pat Catans, so I only paid $11 for each set as opposed for $25 like at the stores around here.

I am sending my friend Trish to Pat Catans to pick up all the H2O's that they have for me because I've never tried them but have heard good things!

I'd like to say both....eventually...try them and see which you like, maybe you will end up liking both! ;)
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for your input. I have tried the Pearl Ex and thought the color looked a little washed out. I have seen cards in the gallery where they used the Twink H2Os and the color was much more vivid.

I will probably end up with both, but I think I will start with the Twinkling simply because of the color spectrum that is available.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestermann
grrrr I hate Pearl EX... no matter what I do.. I never get em on right! I tried Future Wax thing.. no good! I have both Series 1 and 2. I don't know what to do with them. I give up!
I use Pearl Ex mainly for my backgrounds - just use Versamark on your stamp, stamp on cardstock and then lightly brush PE over the image. Gives a shimmer effect to the cardstock. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes