Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Stamp and Scrap, or Stamp Only?

Just wondering if you guys stamp and scrap, or only stamp? Why?

I just would love to hear people's comments. Here's mine...

I mostly stamp only. I am an instant gratification kind of person and like quick results. Pictures for me, take way too much time. Although I have a 20 month old daughter, I am very slowly working on her scrapbooks. After she is 2 years old, probably will just put pictures in photo albums.
I enjoy stamping cards so much more. Just my own opinion. I love looking at other people's scrapbooks though... Eye candy never hurts! Especially enjoy looking at beautiful paper, embellishments etc.

Curious to hear others' comments. It could influence me! Lol.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 08:51 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I only stamp. I've made a very few scrap books for certain events, but, while I liked the finished product, I found the process too difficult to enjoy. Also, I have boxes and boxes of pictures of my kids, but since I'm already a Grandma, I'm not going back all those years at this point!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I'm just a stamper too With a full-time job and no kids yet, I don't really have time to scrap, or much to scrap with for that matter!

Maybe one day I'll get into scrapping, but for now I'll stick to cards and some other creations (coasters, candles, pens, etc).

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have slowly gotten into doing both. I actually have started doing 6x6 brag books and love them! It is a new addiction for me. It takes less time and I think the results are great! I made one for my DH to take with him to Iraq. I had each of his family members, my family members and a few close friends each write a message to him and I scrapped each of the messages on to a page along with a picture of that person. Each page was personalized to that person. It is something that doesn't take up a lot of room so he can have it with him and he also can look at it whenever he needs to have a pick me up and can't call home. Try the 6x6, you might like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have albums, paper, stickers, diecuts and 100 years worth of pictures to take care of from 3 different families. The answer lies therein: I am a stamper at heart and will use my scrapbooking supplies for stamping, crafting and gifts to others. Sigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 08:59 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I do both, but separately.

I have never used my stamps in my scrapbooks, but I'm also not a sticker person unless it's a very unique album. My scrapbooks are colorful because of the papers I use and the journaling (my favorite part).

I prefer to stamp cards and get creative in that way - more embellishments and detail. I've made a few 6x6 pages, but I've never used them. They were all MNT's from workshops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 09:00 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Default Stamp only

I made an honest effort at scrapping. I made three pages. You took the words right out of my mouth. I am all for instant gratification. And, yes, even if I take 1 hour to make a card it is still instant compared to scrapping. I love to stamp. If I could take my stamp everywhere, I would. Besides, most of my pictures are on my computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 09:04 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I really enjoyed reading the comments! Hope to see more. I wanted to add... I own a lot of scrapbook supplies also.. albums, stickers (ugggh), and much more that I've accumulated over the years. Now I use them for stamping but I have so much I could sell or trade for, especially stickers and diecuts.

I know what you mean, Irene, about the fact that even if we take an hour to make one card, it is still instant gratification for me. Don't know quite how to explain it. But yeah we're on the same page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I do both... I actually started as a scrapper about 6 years ago... my Mom made a whole scrapbook for me of my childhood for my 19th birthday... that got me hooked. I just started stamping last fall (GASP!!!), and LOVE stamping in my scrapbooks. There is a page in my gallery that I did of my cats where I used only stamps, cardstock, ribbon and skeleton leaves, and it's one of my favourite pages. I scrapbook with a LOT of embellishments, and love how I can make my own based on stamps, and ink colours. I'll try to photograph some of my other scrapbook pages this afternoon and post them... I agree, it's MUCH more time consuming, and I enjoy cardmaking because it doesn't (usually) take 3 days to "get it right". But, I love scrapping too! My Mom still does both, as does my Aunt and Grandma, though my Grams has done much more cardmaking than scrapping since I became a Demo. My other Aunt has made one scrapbook page in her life, and hated the process, and only does cards and stamping now!
Good question Wendy, it's fun to read everyone's opinions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 09:25 AM   #10  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,081 Likes on 861 Posts

I'm a stamper and scrapper. I do mostly stamping though, but need to get back to scrapbooking. I have many years to catch up on. I've been so involved in doing swaps that I haven't kept up with my scrapbooks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I do both. I like to do cards when I need some instant gratification. When I'm feeling more ambitious I do some scrapbooking. It's nice to have both to switch off and I love the versatility of using stamps for cards and scrapbooking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I do both. I like stamping so much more though! I have been trying to cross over and use my stamps in my scrapbooks, seems like it would be more cost effective. The problem is I never scrapbook at home, I only make cards. Then I would have to pack up all my stamps with my scrapbook stuff when I go and that would be WAY too much stuff. We are moving soon, and I will have my own craftroom. Then I think I could spread out more and would be able to do both at home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 09:42 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I do both. I've been scrapping for nearly 7 years, but am a new stamper. You'd never know it looking at my craft room though. I have soooo much stamping stuff. I'm signing on as a demo in July, so lookout! I may need separate rooms for stamping and scrapbooking. (haven't told my dh that yet though).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 09:45 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I only stamp cards. I love to look at the scrapbooking but have way too many pictures to have to pick. Maybe if I have a special occassion I may think of making a scrapbook.

Just not enough time in the day to do
everything that I love to do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 09:48 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I'm a scrapper who happened to find SU. The possibilities are endless when you use the supplies in your books or on cards, notebooks...you name it.. but my first and true love will always be scrapbooking.I agree it takes longer but most of my cards are eventually thrown away and my albums are here for a long, long time. Everyone in my family loves to look at them. But I must confess I love the process of paper crafting..I don't care if it takes me four hours to make a two page layout because it is relaxing for me and with a 2,4,6& 7 yr old I can use all the relaxation I can find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 10:43 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I started out a scrapper when my almost-8 year old was born and then I was introduced to SU!. I didn't actually use stamps in my albums, however, until a couple of years ago. I see it this way -- I cards that I stamp are gifts for others, but the pages that I scrap are gifts for me and my little family to look at forever.

Go Seahawks!
Mom to Daniel (9) and Emily (6)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I was only a stamper until last summer. I got married March/04 and found out in order to have my album done by my photographer it would be over $1,000 CDN... Hmmm, let's see... I DON'T THINK SO!!!! So, I bought the negatives and said, I'm gonna learn! I have a great time and am very pleased with the end result. Ever since I've been happily scrapping along side my stamping. I go in phases - one month I'll mostly do cards, then the next month I'll mostly scrap. Keeps this jumpin' - know what I mean?

I only use Creative Memories albums (and pages & protectors, of course), and only SU paper & stamps. NO STICKERS - (yuck)

Try it - you may like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 10:52 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by FourAliments
I see it this way -- I cards that I stamp are gifts for others, but the pages that I scrap are gifts for me and my little family to look at forever.
Cheers, honey!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 10:58 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I am a scrapper who uses stamps in my books. I do make cards also, but only when I have to. It's been interesting to read these posts and see how unique we all are. I personally don't feel as gratified when I make a card because then I have to give it away, but my scrapbooks are for my family and I to enjoy for a long time. Actually, that sounded terrible, I do feel gratified when I give someone a handmade card, but it's nice to get my scrapbooks out whenever I want and look at what I've made. But at least I recently discovered that I can just upload my cards on to SCS and look at them there!

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 10:59 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm a stamper, but I scrap on the side. But I never stamp in my scrapbook! Some kind of weird mental block against it. Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 11:23 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

I was a scrapbooker first then a stamper. Although with 4 children I don't get to do either very often! I keep telling myself that when my youngest (18 months) gets a little older that I will have more opportunities to stamp and scrapbook!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Scrapbooker

I do both but am definitely a scrapbooker at heart. I've completed 5 12x12 albums including a wedding one and baby one. I love stamping too and have just recently started building up my stamping supply. I love incorporating my stamps into my scrapbooks. They add such a great touch. I mostly just stamp cards when I need one to send but being able to use my supplies in my scrapbooks helps me to justify getting more SU stuff !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I was invited to my first SU party by my frieind who is a CM consultant. I used to sign my kids up for her classes because I thought it would be nice for them to scrap, but I wasn't gonna. I got a little interested, seeing the beautiful things my DD's were making but I just wouldn't commit to scrapping so she invited me to the SU party since her friend (now my upline) had just become a demo.

I really do love other people's albums, I have one friend who loves to see me because I always ask to see her albums. My upline was a scrapper too & her albums are gorgeuos. Someone on this site has the quote about your birth cert. proving that you were born etc etc but your albums prove that you lived, that is how I feel when I admire all of THEIR albums, but I still can't get going on mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 12:22 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Default Stamping.........

I mostly stamp - I just love the card-making and being able to complete something in a short period of time. I also donate most of my handmade cards to several different org. for terminally ill kids and adults so I ALWAYS have cards that need to be made.

I have almost completed my first scrapbook and I am really enjoying it though. I made it for my husband for our 19th Wedding Anniversary which was last month. Both of his parents are deceased and the album is about his childhood through to when we met and married. Thhough the album wasn't completed when I gave it to him, he was overwhelmed with tears when he saw it. I think the one I made for him was very personal and touching which is what I like about the scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

I do it all baby. LOL

Actually I stamp my scrapbook pages. It makes it nice to have what I need at home and just use the products that I love so much. The paper and color combos cannot be beat!

This way I have my sets for cards, projects, scrapping , and for everything else. It is one stop shopping for me. I can stamp a card and think, *wow, this would look cool on a layout.* Then I will go an stamp my layout

Last edited by lesliemommy; 05-12-2005 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wink Scrapper who Stamps

I am very much a scrapper who uses the wonders of stamping to serve the greater good of my scrapbook pages

Gratification definitely plays a large part in my preferences. I find it much more gratifying to work on something that I will have for years to come as opposed to sending it to someone who will toss it in a few weeks.
I enjoy spending a week or so designing a layout because it will be used to celebrate a family memory.

I always find it interesting how people place a goal or place value on how quickly they can get a page together or how many they can do in a month or year. I throughly enjoy the entire process and don't care that I have 5 albumns of photos waiting to be scrapped. I will get to them when I get to them and in the meantime I am having a great relaxing time.

I do have at least one thing in common with most everyone on this thread though.... I love Stampin Up !!!!

Happy Scrappin and Stamping,
Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 12:38 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I do both, too!

Hey there ladies, Yes, I do both as well. I started out scrapping baby books for our boys. Then I do a famiy scrap book each year. But.....now I've really gotten into stamping and use LOTS of my stamps for my scrap books. Many can be used to background paper, or stamp, cut out and embellish. I really love doing both, but the scrapping definately takes more thought and time....I'm only about a year behind in our family albums...ha! Save it for a rainy day!!! I would encourage you to do both as I think my boys (if not them, at least their wives) will adore having their scrapbooks as keepsakes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 12:42 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Many of you scrappers have made good points. I am sold on the idea of scrapbooking for sure. I really want to "want" to scrap if that makes sense? I just can't get much into it. I think one day soon, I'm going to pull out my daughter's pictures and just go from there. True, I am sure she will appreciate the scrapbooks as she already LOVES looking at pictures non-stop. Hmm... good point about being gifts for US, forever. I also know it would make a wonderful gift for my mom for Christmas. Just wish I had more time!!! Don't we all?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 02:01 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do both. I was introduced to scrapping with the birth of my daughter five years ago. My daughter has 3 scrapbooks, I have two family scrapbooks, and my son has one. I'm so far behind on his book. I than dabbled with stamping, misc stuff from Michael's. But never crossed over into just stamping/card making. I just learned about SU this past Sept, and fell in love. Loved how it worked with my scrapbook style. So, now I'm trying to bring more of the stamping into my scrapbooks. I found it hard to switch from scrapping to making cards. I'm getting better with it, so I'm pleased with my progress. Just have to make the two mold together so that I can save money on buying stickers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Default I do both

I started as a scrapper about 5 years ago. I am WAY hooked into scrapping! Like I'm figuring out a LO in my head as I'm taking the pictures. Went to my first SU party a couple of years ago and am now addicted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I started out as a card maker, but now I'm a scrapper through and through. I feel like I have to be forced to make a card-- and only if there is a birthday coming up or I am preparing for my monthly stamp club. I tend to just cruise the gallery and copy one so that I can get back to scrapping.

For me, scrapbooking combines almost everything I love into one event. I am in love with photography and have been taking pictures since high school. I am a writing teacher who would love time to write more, so scrapping is my outlet there. And I love stamping. Ink on paper still sends a little thrill after 10+ years. Plus, I'm scrapping about my kids and husband. My other loves. The only loves that get neglected are horse riding and quilting. Oh well. I have too many loves!

I second (third?) the idea that it is a gift to myself. I hate the idea of spending 1/2 making a card and then watching it get thrown away. And the memories I have preserved are amazing. My daughter is only 3 and already I find that I go back to her book to remind me what it was like to hold a 3 pound 7 ounce baby and to live through colic. I have found that as I progress in my scrapping ability, the pages get faster. I can complete 2-3 layouts in an evening. Or I can spend all evening on one and have a really cool work of art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 08:12 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm a scrapbooker at heart, but I don't scrap without my stamps!! Since I became a demo, I figured it would be cost effective to only use SU in my albums. Plus, I don't really want to.
I've been scrapbooking for almost 8 years now, and it is very dear to my heart. It combines all of my great loves...my family, photography, and writing. Plus, it has brought me together with SO many of my friends!
I enjoy making cards, but I know they end up in the trash. I try not to think about it that way, because I really enjoy making them. But I know my scrapbooks will be around at least until my grandchildren are old enough to enjoy them. I hope to someday sit down with my grandkids and look at pictures from right now!!

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

I do both. At first, I was only stamping on scrap layouts. Then I decided I'd try my hands at cards. Now, I do both. As for buying stamp sets, I like to get ones that will work for both and have shyed away from getting phrases until recently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started out as a stamper, and evolved into both a stamper and a scrapper. Though lately I've many many more cards than pages (which isn't saying a lot because there haven't been a lot of cards either! Ha!)

The biggest issue I have with scrapping is it drives me bonkers to find a photo that should have been on a page that's already done!!! It makes me soooo cranky! lol. I am already planning a "what should have been" page... I'm just going to scrap all of those missed photos there! heheheh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2005, 03:52 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

I do both. I'm an embellishment junkie, and I love to use them in my scrapbooks. I know that most of my cards will end up in the trash eventually, so I don't like to use really ellaborate or expensive materials on them. I'd rather save the good stuff for scrapbooks.
Reply With Quote Likes