Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Cutter Bee Bugs Collection (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/cutter-bee-bugs-collection-35092/)

Mahloumel 03-12-2005 07:22 PM

Cutter Bee Bugs Collection

Does anyone here have an opinion on Cutter Bee's "Bugs collection" of cutters? The value pack comes with a cutter, perforator, and scorer.

I am in the process of finding a paper trimmer to replace my crooked-cutting Fiskars 12", and was thinking that one of these Cutter Bee Bugs with my long metal ruler might do the trick and save me the $40 on a CutterPede.

Thank you in advance; I really appreciate how friendly and helpful people are here!

Here is a link to the Bugs products just in case you need your memory jogged visually.
Cutter Bee Link

Mahloumel 03-12-2005 07:26 PM

(trying to get this to show up on the Current Conversations section of the home page.....)

jmassucco 03-12-2005 07:30 PM

I haven't used the accessories you mentioned, although I've looked at them in the store. I do have a pair of the little yellow Cutter Bee scissors with the fine point tip and have been very happy with them. I would be interested in their other products since they seem to be of good quality.

Whitneystamps 03-12-2005 07:37 PM

i have them and they are no subtitute for a good trimmer. IMO it would be too much work to get a straight even cut everytime.

Arlynn 03-12-2005 07:41 PM

Hi! I have the little "bugs" and never have used them. They even hang right next to my table. What I do use is my cutterpede. I really love it. I got it at a scrapbook store and I don't think I paid $40 for it. What I love about the cutterpede is that it is so accurate, I also love the way the rotary blade cuts so cleanly. The rotary blade changes out easily for a scoring blade too. Hope this helps! Arlynn

lindalee 03-12-2005 07:51 PM

I have them--waste of money for me :( They aren't good for much except small jobs.

queentomas 03-12-2005 07:59 PM

cutterpede

I have those cute bugs and have only used a few times. I also have the cutterpede which I like but it doesn't cut as straight as I think it should. I thought it was the blade but no. So go figure I am starting to feel as if there is not an instrument that can cut straight lines. I do like my cutterpede b/c I bought it at a local discount store for $8 brand new! The cuts are ok. I'd give it 3 stars out of 5. The titanium scissors are phenomenal!! I also have the yellow ones and those work great too. I do like the feature of the swing out arm on the cutterpede and that it bends at 6 inches so you can cut the 12x12 in half.

Mahloumel 03-12-2005 08:04 PM

Thank you for sharing your experiences (or lack thereof :) ) with the little bug cutters. I must admit the cuteness of the cutters and the little metal name tags that indicate what each bug does were very appealing to me, but I still don't know what I'd even do with a perforator anyways. They were just so cute that somehow I NEEDED them.

Thank you for discouraging me from making an $8 (CDN) mistake, and even worse than the money is the clutter and the effort to try to use them they would have generated.

Mahloumel 03-12-2005 08:14 PM

Re: cutterpede

Quote:

Originally Posted by queentomas
I also have the cutterpede which I like but it doesn't cut as straight as I think it should. I thought it was the blade but no. So go figure I am starting to feel as if there is not an instrument that can cut straight lines.

Oh man! I am just going to have to bite the bullet and get the Cutterpede and hope it meets my standards for straight, clean cuts. 3 out of 5 stars sounds a lot better than the old Fiskars 12" I have, which I would give 1 star.

Every time someone being interviewed in a scrapbook magazine is asked what their favourite tool for cutting paper is, their answer is always "a metal ruler and an exacto knife." I guess if I was designing layouts for a living, I might take the extra time to do this, but me, I am here "for a good time, not a long time!"

Sandybeach 03-12-2005 08:55 PM

Quote:

I still don't know what I'd even do with a perforator anyways. They were just so cute that somehow I NEEDED them.
ha well I thought I needed them too! I use all of mine occasionally..but I wanted to give you a tip to use the perforator with. Run it lightly over an ink pad & then on your paper. It will give the 'look' of stitching. :D

palval77 03-12-2005 10:00 PM

:roll: [/quote]

palval77 03-12-2005 10:02 PM

Oh great! Now I'll have to run out and get one of the cute little bugs that perforate. Great idea though

enchntdgal 03-13-2005 07:09 AM

Let me add my 2 cents, I bought them because like everyone else they were so adorable, but I find they don't even cut well, you have to really push down hard and then it snaps shut, so they too are hanging on my bulletin board looking cute!! :D

Crystallight 03-14-2005 05:52 PM

I have the lady bug ones. Ever since my mom found out I like lady bugs shes been buying all these lady bug things for me :? Guess I shoulda kept my mouth shut because my apartment is becoming infested :!: But they're cute. I don't think I've used them on a project yet though. I thought the perforator was kinda cool but what would I use it for?

stampandweave 03-15-2005 06:17 AM

I don't know a thing about the cutters you are talking about, but I do know others with crooked-cutting Fiskars cutters have contacted Fiskars, and the company has sent them replacements.

scrapmommy3 03-15-2005 06:33 AM

Thanks for the tip about the perferating bug. It's the only one I bought because I was certain I would want to perferate something? I never have! LOL I love the stitching idea.

As far as cutters cutting straight? I haven't found one yet that does. I have a large rotary by Carl for camps and such even it doesn't cut straight. The Eurotrimmer(the one in the SU catty and new one at other craft stores) cuts straighter than the old grey ones. The cutterpede cuts a little off as well. I think your right exacto and a straight edge. However I am exacto challenged so it's not for me. I'f your doing a lot of scrapbooking the Perfect layers rulers are great but they use an exacto as well easier somehow for me.

HTH

Ruth Gray 03-16-2005 08:25 AM

Hi all,

I have the scorer and I do like it. I bought the perforater because I was making cards with bookmarks as part of the front and used the perforator so they could remove the bookmark and actually use it. lol Still wouldn't trade my reg paper cutter.

Ruth Gray 03-16-2005 08:40 AM

Me again

Forgot another use for the perforator - faux postage dots. Later

Ruth

karinlm 03-16-2005 08:52 AM

I got all 3 of the cutter bugs for Christmas. I would not have bought them for myself and honestly I haven't used them much.

I am going to try using my perforator in the ink though ;) Thats one idea I would never have thought of!

MoreStamps! 03-16-2005 09:05 AM

Don't the Cutterpede isn't any straighter than the Fiskers.
I found the Fiskars 12" old and new (and my favorite the shorter one) cut straighter if I am careful. I sold my Cutterpede on ebay right after I tried it! You have to buy new inserts and entire new cutters not just little inexpensive blades!
My sister is a CreativeMemories consultant and they have come out with a new cutter that is an improved version of the old style Fiskers 12" !!! It has heavier runners and seems to be really great! It also has 1/4" grid all over the entire cutting surface like the small Fiskers cutter! (About Time)
That is my next cutter even though I am a SU! demo...
I even have the big heavy duty Fiskers roller cutter with changable blades - and it cuts with a slight bow in the middle!!!!

Sorry this is so long but I have been in the pursuit of the straight cutter also...Should have just bought a professional one, could have by now$$$$
but they are definaletly not portable...
Renee H
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=33896

Mahloumel 03-18-2005 07:30 AM

Thank you for sharing your problems with the Cutterpede! I would have been pretty chapped to shell out half of my month's "fun money" just to find out I could have spent less to get a Fiskars that works better!

MissLyssa 03-19-2005 11:50 AM

I LOVE my Cutterpede Cutter Bee system...I haven't had ANY problems with mine and I love how easy it is to switch from cutting blade to scoring blade. Be sure to watch the tension on the little "runners" some of the problems mentioned may be because the tension is too tight too loose. Kind of like on your sewing machine.
I don't know what I'd do without mine....I have the large green one.

emily757 03-20-2005 07:00 AM

I have them and they have never cut a straight line for me since I can never hold a ruler perfectly straight. You also have to hold the "pushie" thing up to keep the blade from going back inside the cutter bee. I find them to be a pain in the butt.