Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Current set on the bay

An auction just ended for the current SU set called Bundle Up (pg. 53). The auction ended at....

are you sitting down????

$71.00!!!!!

What's wrong with some of these people??? It is current!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

That is the stupidist thing I ever heard. What is wrong with these people?!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

$71?!?...OUCH! Maybe they don't have a demo and they can't order direct from the company. That's the only reason I can think of for someone to spend so much money on a current set.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #4  
cre8nart

That's just plain crazy!!! The sad thing is that as long as they continue to bid that high, the items will continue to demand outrageously inflated prices, which is bad for everyone!

Old 07-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre8nart
That's just plain crazy!!! The sad thing is that as long as they continue to bid that high, the items will continue to demand outrageously inflated prices, which is bad for everyone!
Sure seems good for the seller
(And as long as they aren't a demo selling against their contract- lucky them)

As for ebay- people just get caught up in winning. So many people don't do the research to find what actual prices are worth and just keep bidding, other people who KNOW what they are worth just want to beat the other guy. There is no reason to bid on ebay before the last few minutes of the auction- all it does is raise prices.

And I don't think inflated prices are bad- anyone selling would love for their items to go for a high amount, and it's the buyer who sets the price. If they are willing to pay that, let them- they get the set they want and the seller is thrilled. Especially if it's a current set- I'll just get it from my demo, and if it's a retired set, its too bad I missed it but if I want it from an auction site I have to pay more than anyone else who wants it. That's the point of the auction.

But as for the price- OMG people are crazy.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

well... good for the seller... lots of extra cash to spent on the new stuff
Old 07-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
There is no reason to bid on ebay before the last few minutes of the auction- all it does is raise prices.
It drives me a little nuts to see an item I am interested in with three days left in the auction, and dunderheads bidding on it already. Yay for the seller, yes, but why do folks with higher feedback ratings still bid like noobs?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been watching ebay for a while now. The prices seem absolutely crazy to me. Guess stamping supplies are hot right now! They are hard to get! I have tried, guess I need to wait a few months.. wow

MY BLOG
Old 07-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I saw that and thought maybe I was wrong and it retired so tonight I looked and saw "no it is current" and was surprised anyone would have paid that much. The only thing I can think of is - maybe it is someone new to stampin that doesn't know there is a catalog and somethings may be still available for purchase.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:30 PM   #10  
cre8nart

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
Sure seems good for the seller
(And as long as they aren't a demo selling against their contract- lucky them)

As for ebay- people just get caught up in winning. So many people don't do the research to find what actual prices are worth and just keep bidding, other people who KNOW what they are worth just want to beat the other guy. There is no reason to bid on ebay before the last few minutes of the auction- all it does is raise prices.

And I don't think inflated prices are bad- anyone selling would love for their items to go for a high amount, and it's the buyer who sets the price. If they are willing to pay that, let them- they get the set they want and the seller is thrilled. Especially if it's a current set- I'll just get it from my demo, and if it's a retired set, its too bad I missed it but if I want it from an auction site I have to pay more than anyone else who wants it. That's the point of the auction.

But as for the price- OMG people are crazy.
I stand corrected. You are right. I was only seeing things from the perspective of fellow buyers. It is good for the sellers, and after all, people have the right to do whatever they like with their money. So if they want to throw it away unnecessarily, good for them! I'm just glad that I'll never get swept up into the competitive aspect of bidding, where logic gets thrown out the door, and it's 'win at all costs'.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't have a problem with the bay as I am a seller/buyer. What I don't understand is why would someone pay that much for a set that is current - I know, I know - maybe they don't have a demo.

But do they not know that SU is a huge company and they can find a demo anywhere or see the catalog on line??

I do have a problem with any seller that states "retired" when we all know it's not (not that the above auction listed it as retired). When that happens, I feel like sending the seller an e-mail and asking them what/s up.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by boobookittysgranny

I do have a problem with any seller that states "retired" when we all know it's not (not that the above auction listed it as retired). When that happens, I feel like sending the seller an e-mail and asking them what/s up.

I see that alot too...drives the frenzy...the seller doesn't "care" if it's retired or current but they know that word means "must buy before it's gone".
((. .. Beth theangelcompany #3332
-::- ((. Beauty is the gift of God. - Aristotle
Old 07-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by olivia'smom
I saw that and thought maybe I was wrong and it retired so tonight I looked and saw "no it is current" and was surprised anyone would have paid that much. The only thing I can think of is - maybe it is someone new to stampin that doesn't know there is a catalog and somethings may be still available for purchase.
I just emailed her and told her what the current catalog price was for this set. I also told her how to find a demo on the stampin' up website. I hope she uses it and doesn't get taken again... I'd even be willing to send her a new catty if she doesn't plan on leaving the bay so at least she'd have a reference. I feel bad for her...
Old 07-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
It drives me a little nuts to see an item I am interested in with three days left in the auction, and dunderheads bidding on it already. Yay for the seller, yes, but why do folks with higher feedback ratings still bid like noobs?
ROTFLMAO! Love those words!!

Old 07-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool4scrapping
I just emailed her and told her what the current catalog price was for this set.
Could this be seen as interfering with the auction? Don't let your good deed bite you in the butt!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:07 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

She will probably be sick once she realizes that she could have purchased it for the catalog price.

I would never list something as retired if it wasn't retired - that is just wrong!!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:08 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Could this be seen as interfering with the auction? Don't let your good deed bite you in the butt!

I don't think this applies because the auction has ended - but I could be wrong.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I would never list something as retired if it wasn't retired - that is just wrong!!
I wish that eBay whould shut those auctions down for false advertisement, but then that hurts eBay, so why should they care about honesty.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

The auction had already ended, so she is responsible for completing the transaction. I don't think contacting her after the fact is a violation, otherwise I wouldn't have. Just giving her info for future reference.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I hope that she takes the info that you supplied and does something good with it - it will be to her benefit.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I saw a set go for like $173 (maybe $135) dollars the other day. It was a retired set...tractors I think? Still, that's a boatload of money!!!

My humble beginnings of a gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=72605
Old 07-07-2006, 01:33 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I just emailed her and told her what the current catalog price was for this set. I also told her how to find a demo on the stampin' up website. I hope she uses it and doesn't get taken again... I'd even be willing to send her a new catty if she doesn't plan on leaving the bay so at least she'd have a reference. I feel bad for her...
I did the same thing! I hope she can get out of the auction! But she's probably SOL. She told me she was new to stamping and had no idea! Poor woman!

Old 07-07-2006, 04:20 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Very encouraging. I'm selling my Heavenly Heralds set on the bay once I'm done my cards this year.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Old 07-07-2006, 04:21 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Not that I want an outrageous price for it but close to what I paid would be nice.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Old 07-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by thuskins
Not that I want an outrageous price for it but close to what I paid would be nice.
I have no problem with people paying for RETIRED stuff that is hard to find, but it just makes me sick when someone is obviously taken advantage of like that. I know it's not the seller's fault, I'd be jumping up and down and spitting jelly beans if I were her, but for newbies that don't know any better... She could have bought so much more for the same money AND hooked up with a demo who could teach her new stuff!

I was taken advantage of BIG TIME as a new scrapbooker. I fell in love with these beautiful 12x12 papers, and paid a TON of money for them. I ended up buying 5 or 6 lots of 60 papers, for about $100.... imagine my surprise when I discovered Michael's, and that THEY sold the SLAB for $12.99 with coupon for 180 sheets.... I could have bought the same amount of paper for under $30 had I known.....
Old 07-07-2006, 05:49 AM   #26  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

BBKG - I actually have sent the seller a note saying "did you know this wasn't a retired set? It's on page... in the current catalog. Just thought you'd want to know so you could correct your auction."

I've gotten mixed replies - sometimes, it's truly a mistake. Someone has posted an item they bought in 2000 and assumed that it's retired. Others never respond - those I report to eBay.

I'm not trying to be a bad person, but if seller on eBay (and I'm one of them) aren't ethical, then it hurts all sellers and buyers.

JM2cents.

my PunchPal Too | my SU! Inventory File | my Tickets Too: shown on my website
my free downloadable calendar templates here
Old 07-07-2006, 05:59 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

I love it too when they say, "Rare" or "Hard to find" and there are 40 listings at the same time for the same set. lol I guess some of the sellers think we're morons. Of course, some ebayers are morons, how else do you explain bidding on an auction with 6 days to go and jumping from 99 cents to $25. Saw it happen, no joke!
Old 07-07-2006, 06:33 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

I just wonder why when I sell truly retired stuff on ebay I don't get prices like that! I guess I don't put [email protected]@K! RETIRED! RARE! after my auctions! I'm usually to lazy to do that!

Old 07-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I saw Looks Like Spring that sold in May on ebay for $43.00. I bet whoever bought that is kicking themselves now!

Old 07-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladylinks
I saw Looks Like Spring that sold in May on ebay for $43.00. I bet whoever bought that is kicking themselves now!

dont even ask the people who payed 80 dollars and more for on the spot background or the monkey business.

i traded two of my sets (i didnt used) for monkey business ....
Old 07-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Ok, I seem to be a dunderhead and a noob. I don't really have time to check on eBay things everyday, so I may well put in my maximum bid for something on the first day it is listed. If it happens that someone else has done the same thing, the price will jump quickly. And I don't even feel like apologizing.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by hasteen
Ok, I seem to be a dunderhead and a noob. I don't really have time to check on eBay things everyday, so I may well put in my maximum bid for something on the first day it is listed. If it happens that someone else has done the same thing, the price will jump quickly. And I don't even feel like apologizing.
That's the way it's SUPPOSED to be done based on eBay guidelines... unfortunately you get these newbies who come along and bid a few cents more than the next "suggested bid" amount and keep bidding up until they are the high bidder. That quickly raises the price. Just like everything else in life, if people played "fair", it'd be a much better world! Don't apologize for following the rules...
Old 07-07-2006, 03:50 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I have been told you can get in big trouble for doing this. It is supposedly interfering in sales and future sales.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #34  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

You're no noob [like i know what that means ].eBy is all about bids. And, if you choose to put your max bid in on day 1 instead of day 6, and it raises the price, that's just the way it is. Ultimately, the item will sell for what it sells for, regardless of what day the bid occurs.

IMHO if someone is willing to pay $160 for a stamp that retails for $20, that's there business and it's all fair.

If I did it, then shame on me for not researching my purchase better

my PunchPal Too | my SU! Inventory File | my Tickets Too: shown on my website
my free downloadable calendar templates here
Old 07-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #35  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
I have been told you can get in big trouble for doing this. It is supposedly interfering in sales and future sales.
that particular auction was closed. I didn't prevent her from bidding on future auctions, and never mentioned other items she was currently bidding on... if I get in trouble with eBay, so be it, but at least I know I did the "right" thing by letting her know about SU's website. At the very least she can access the catalog and be a "more informed buyer"...
Old 07-07-2006, 04:45 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it's great that the seller got that price - I just feel sorry for the newbies that don't know better. She could have purchased 2-3 sets for the amount she paid for one. I guess it pays to be informed.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

And now that she's informed, she can take better care to make wiser choices.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

There's no reason for you to apologize! The noobs (I love this word ) are the ones who are bidding in increments of $.25 and getting into goofy bidding-wars. Bidding your maximum and bidding only *once* is the best way to handle the Bay. The proxy-bidding system is beautiful, and it does all the work for you! The hard part is going away and staying away until the auction sorts itself out -- you must have nerves of steel! I usually wait as late in the auction as possible to bid -- that way I don't tip my proverbial hand if some noob decides to see just how high my max bid is. I also don't have to bother bidding if it has already gone over my max, and can move on to the next item. With the things I bid on, there's always another one coming down the pike, so I just go look for it. If you hang in long enough, you'll get what you want at the price you're willing to pay. Keep up the good work!

Happy trails....

Sue

Quote:

Old 07-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

There is a current set bareback currently going for $34.99 with 2 days left! Just Krazy!!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:47 PM   #40  
Compulsive Stamper

I have purchased many items on ebay and I do believe that the buyer should take responsibility for how much they spend. I know that when I decide to purchase something I make the decision on what I am willing to pay. This isn't the seller's choice it is mine. I don't know, I just get so tired of people who are not willing to take ownership of their choices.