Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Markers-v-other brands.

First, I have to say that I bought a couple of CTMH marker/writers and I absolutely HATE them. The squared-off grip really bothers me. So, as seems to be the case with most of my stamping addiction, I'm swinging over towards Stampin' Up for my supplies.

My questions are the following:
Do SU markers have any advantages over the types sold at Michael's or other craft stores?
Are SU markers worth the expense (they seem awfully expensive to me)?
Are the SU markers pigment or water-based?

What brands would you suggest if not Stampin' Up?

Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2005, 12:39 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I believe the markers are water-based, and the journaling markers are more like the craft pads and suitable for scrapbooking. The obvious advantage over other brands is color coordination with your cardstock and stamped images, and the price is really pretty similar to other quality art markers. I paid $2.50 each for my Chartpak markers, and Prismacolor markers go for $3.00 at the local art stores.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2005, 02:10 AM   #3  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I love the way the SU markers coordinate with the cardstock. That is the main reason that I bought them ALL!! I did buy them in individual color families but I had to have them so everything coordinates!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2005, 04:21 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I am a demo and have all the markers, and Rachel is right. They are waterbased...great for watercoloring. Also great that they do coordinate with the cardstock.

Before I became a demo I used my coupon at Michaels and bought the marvy markers. I was so frustrated with the greens and pinks, etc. not being the right color!! It really was a waste of money. Those went to my daughter and I am so much happier with the SU! markers.

I also want to say that I work in a scrapbook store and am working on re-vamping their stamp section. When we had to decide which markers to bring in, I never appreciated SU! more! So nice to do "one stop shopping" and know the products work together. We ended up bringing in a huge display of Tombow markers (dual tip). They are beautiful colors, but you do have to stand there and match up the colors you are trying to work with. They retail at $3, which is about the average for dual tip markers.

The SU! markers are really the best value out there. Just build up your set gradually. Hope this helps.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2005, 04:32 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Default Markers

I bought both Marvy and Fabrico markers when I first started stamping, and I hated all my work! I thought my coloring looked like a first grader's work, messy and heavy. The SU markers never look that way to me. I say SU all the way! I haven't tried the CTMH markers because my demo doesn't have any, but I think the square shape would bother me too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2005, 04:32 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I agree with everything that has been said. You pay for quality and it's worth it! The only thing I wish SU! would do, is come out with wider tips - not just the paint brust tip. The only marker they offer like that is the Basic Black journaler set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2005, 04:44 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

There's another advantage to SU!'s coordinating colors--you can refill your markers with your stamp pad reinkers. Just gently pull out the brush tip, drop in a couple of drops of ink, and push the tip back in. This is NOT official from SU!, but a lot of us do it; some of my markers are 7 years old and still going strong. Be careful not to mash out the brush tip when you're using the markers, because there's no way to fix that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2005, 05:12 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I, too, bought some Marvy markers before I saw the light, and don't care for them near as much as the SU! markers. I really don't care for the thin writing tip on the Marvy markers--it gets squished way too easily, and then it's useless. The thin tip on the SU! markers is very sturdy, and just writes better! I say the SU! markers are worth every penny, not to mention the whole matching cs/ink thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2005, 05:16 AM   #9  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

Red face

i love my many marvelous markers and agree that the coordination factor, plus the storage solution is well worth the $$$>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2005, 05:21 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarlett75
First, I have to say that I bought a couple of CTMH marker/writers and I absolutely HATE them. The squared-off grip really bothers me. So, as seems to be the case with most of my stamping addiction, I'm swinging over towards Stampin' Up for my supplies.

My questions are the following:
Do SU markers have any advantages over the types sold at Michael's or other craft stores?
Are SU markers worth the expense (they seem awfully expensive to me)?
Are the SU markers pigment or water-based?

What brands would you suggest if not Stampin' Up?

Thanks for your help!!
Su markers seem to be more juicy, which seems to give them good color. I also like the application of the markers. The tips seems to be more flexible and not hard like other markers.

If you look at the same type of markers that Michael's or Joann's a set is usually $120, so I don't see that they are any better value. They will also be more expensive if you buy them individually.

SU markers, to my knowledge, are water-based. Makes them perfect for watercoloring and blending. They are also quick drying.

Zig brushtip markers are not too bad, but they are going to cost the same price as the SU markers. Prismacolor also has some great makers....also pricey. I think when you get into quality markers the run about the same markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2005, 05:59 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

One other thing to consider with the SU! markers is to maybe wait until January and buy them durring Sell-A-Bration. That way you can get the entire set and 2 free stamp sets too. That kinda helps justify the cost for me! Or join a marker club.

They are a great deal no matter what and the case is great. Good Luck with your decision.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:28 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for all of the great tips. I think I'll start buying the SU markers a set at a time. And, thanks for the Sell-a-bration tip! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes