Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-01-2016, 05:12 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cricut explore one questions

First thing...Happy New Year everyone!

I am looking for some feedback or reviews on the cricut explore one. I recieved this as a Christmas present and I'm not sure I want to keep it. I have a cricut expression which can be limited. I like the idea that you can cut your own images with the explore but wonder how easy that is to do? Are the mats interchangeable? Is it better at cutting thick cardstock? Do you like the setting controls? I would love to hear from anyone with that has an opinion about this machine.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 06:26 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

my mother bought me one for my birthday ( on black friday ) because, she loves her expressions machine... and so, we spent some time playing with her machine over Thanksgiving weekend but, the explore one is different.
so, ( with all the things I wanted to do during the holidays I really have not played with mine much) what I have learned is,

once you put the cartridges in once it links it to an online program to "design" what ever you want to cut, so you end up messing around in front of a computer for a long time to make a die cut. ( patience is not a virtue I possess) this means if they ever get rid of that online program to use the machine. you cannot pop the cartridge in and just cut something.

I have not tried to do anything really thick just cardstock. ( it seems to cut ok, but dies in my big shot are sharper cuts)

I don't know what you mean about interchangeable mats but, the mats I have are the same as the ones my mom has for her's. and then I did go to amazon and pick up some of the blue less sticky mats. ( have not tried them) have ruined more than once piece of cardstock trying to remove the cut from the mat after.
(yes, I have a spatula)

I cannot tell you if you should keep it or not, I would guess it depends on how you like to create. if sitting at a computer to design the size of the cut and how many to plop on the sheet appeals to you then its probably a good thing. for me this will be something I do in big batches and pack it away after making stacks of cuts most likely.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 06:30 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I have an Explore, not an Explore One, but I really love mine. It is by far the quietest machine I have ever had and cuts beautifully. I also have a Cameo I really like. I prefer the silhouette design studio over the cricut software hands down. I have had every Cricut machine and two silhouette machines. All have their advantages, but I do think I like the Explore as much or more than any of the others. I don't know if that will help you or not! I "joined" the monthly membership that lets you have access to all the Cricut carts with the exception of the Creative Memories and Close to My Heart and some other licensed images. I can usually get my cuts up and ready to go in 5 minutes or so, but it takes a little learning to figure out the software. If you are going on the order of an electronic cutter nowadays, you will be tied to a computer. that is just the nature of the beast. I now prefer it to finding the correct cart and manipulating it to get my cuts, but this is a personal preference.

Last edited by nancydianne; 01-01-2016 at 06:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a Cricut explore and I really like mine! I do think uploading your own images is very easy. The sky is the limit with the print then cut option, too!

I'm a Cricut Product Expert, so if there are any specific questions or concerns you may have, please reach out!

Happy crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2016, 05:28 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by heylisareneeView Post
I have a Cricut explore and I really like mine! I do think uploading your own images is very easy. The sky is the limit with the print then cut option, too!

I'm a Cricut Product Expert, so if there are any specific questions or concerns you may have, please reach out!

Happy crafting!
Can you please tell me the differences between the Explore One and the Explore Air? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2016, 05:51 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for all the input. I'm not thrilled to hear you can't pop in a cartridge and cut. I don't love being tied to the computer. It's in a different room. Is everything through the design studio I use for the expression? Can you use an ipad for designing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2016, 06:11 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

I believe you can use an Ipad. however I have a macbook, a windows laptop and a kindle... so, I have only tried it on the laptop.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2016, 06:25 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Hi, There!

I LOVE my EXPLORE! I've done lots on it - quiet, accurate, good sizing, I've uploaded other SVG files and they all work. Also have done the print and cut. I don't have a silhouette or any of the other so I can't compare them.

The upload of cartridges to design space is easy and takes seconds - then you cut from there. I didn't see it as a hinderance.

(Scrapjanny) - The Explore Air has the blue tooth capability built in but you can buy a blue tooth add to the Explore so that you can design away from your computer. Ipad design capability is available now and they are working on an Android version, as I understand, soon to be available.

You can go to the Cricut site and compare each of the versions - if I did this correctly this link should be able to see what each does and compare them.

https://shop.cricut.com/en_us/catalo...compare/index/

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Cricut Explore. I love it. It does cut beautifully. I like computers and I find working with it pretty easy. I like Cricut Design Space because you have so many options with your shapes and designs.
I haven't done very many of my own designs, but if I take a few moments to watch a few You Tube videos on how to do it, I think I could do it on my own.
I cut all types of cardstocks from very thin to very thick and you just need to adjust the type on your dial and it works very well.
It's really one of the best Cricuts they have ever made.
Very satisfied with mine. I've had mine over a year now and I still Love it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I know you can plug in a cartridge to an Explore but I think that is just to link it up. I just used mine today and I cut glittered cardstock and regular cardstock and got great cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes