Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default creative block...

ugh everynight i sit down to stamp, yet create nothing.. i have tons of supplies and what not yet i cant figure out anything make. i spend tons of time surfing blogs and the gallery yet i cant create anything....maybe i need a break or something?

thanks for letting me get that out...

i'm sure this happens to others, what do you do to unblock?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a block 24/7/365, so I pick a sketch challenge and go for it!

Hope you find your mojo soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I pick a set and go through teh gallery and find something to CASE :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Sounds like you need to limit the options a little to get started. As others have suggested, I'd do a challenge or case something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 02:09 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going through the same thing at the moment. I haven't been happy with the last couple of cards I made, and I'm finding it hard to get going again.
I've been there many times before, though, and I know it will pass after a while. It better! I've got a fortune invested in stamping toys! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 03:20 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I start just stamping images for the PIF image thread or Wish RAk and that always gets me in the mood to stamp a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree; going through on here and looking what others did helps me alot; and even tho I originally think I am going to copy what they did; I end up changing it up a bit. Looking thru magazines helps me alot also!

"LEARN FROM YESTERDAY,LIVE FOR TODAY
HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tara1601View Post
ugh everynight i sit down to stamp, yet create nothing.. i have tons of supplies and what not yet i cant figure out anything make. i spend tons of time surfing blogs and the gallery yet i cant create anything....maybe i need a break or something?

Have you considered joing a swap? If you haven't already, they are alot of fun, and then you are basically forced to narrow down the type of card you are going to make. I found this has really helped me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 05:27 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

When I am not in the mood to make a card I stamp images and color them, sometimes this helps me think of making a card other times I just have images ready for when I do make cards. I also have started doing some of the card challenges here this way I am making a card and that gets me thinking about doing something different. This should pass just give yourself a few days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

All of the Challenges here help me get thru my creative blocks. The Sketch and color challenges are my faves, but all of them are fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tara1601View Post

This has happened to me a few times. Usually, I take a break. I like to sort of come up with creations but if I get into a time when my creative mojo isnt' happening, I walk away from my stamps and scrapbooking for the night and come back fresh the next day. Or the next week, however long it takes For me, there is no rush unless I have a swap due, lol!

I've also reorganized my craft room - seeing it all "different" somehow makes it all free fresh and new and starts the creativity flowing. I see papers I'd forgotten about or ribbons or embellies that give me new ideas suddenly.

Another thing that works is I will take out ONE color of cardstock, ONE type of coordinating paper, brads, ribbons, etc and say that's it. That's what you have to work with. And say here, create! LOL. I challenge myself, lol. If I have too much, I'm too overwhelmed and I can't think of what to do or what if I make the wrong choice or what if this would look better ........ too much thinking, so I say here is the CD, PP and have fun!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 05:51 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I go through the same thing! Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed I just don't know where to start so I just give up. It helps me to do a sketch challenge. That gives me somewhere to start. Now if I could just find more time to spend in my craft room......

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Default creative block

Many years ago I found an article re creative block and what to do to get past it
1. go to stamp area at the same time everyday/night. Looke at magazines, technique list or just browsw thru a decorating mag. Do not force yourself to make a card or any other project.
Continue to do this everyday. Time for mojo return varies so DON'T PUSH yourself. Objective: give your mind a rest and stop pressure to MAKE something.
2. Suddenly you will discover the Mojo is back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Writer's block

There's a tip for dealing with writer's block: Just start writing something. It can be as simple as sitting down with a blank page and writing, "I can't think of anything to say, so I'm going to jot down some random thoughts..." The process of making yourself go through the physical motions of writing forces your brain past the block you have imposed on the creative process.

The same method works for stamping: Just start stamping something. Trim some cardstock. Color some images. Select some embellishments. Shift the elements around. Experiment with the layout. The physical act of going through the motions gets you past the creative block you've imposed on yourself by just thinking about it. It also bypasses that internal voice that we all have, critically judging our own work even when it's in its earliest development stages.

Suspend your expectations and just start doing it. That works for me... but after reading the other suggestions in this thread, it's obvious we all have our own methods. You need to find what works best for you. At least you know that you are not the only one dealing with creative blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

When this happens to me, it usually because I get overwhelmed by too many stamps sets waiting to be used, embellishments, new DP's, etc. So what I'll do is go through my stuff and pick ONE thing I really love. It could be DP, a stamp, ribbon, whatever. Then I build from that. For example, if I pick a piece of DP, I get an over all 'feel' from it. The color scheme will tell me what it would work best for, a birthday card, holiday, sympathy. Then I try to imagine the right stamp to go with it. Once that's selected, usually I have a pretty good idea in my head what else will go with it.
If that fails, I go through my card sketches, and check out the current challenges.
Don't worry, creative block usually doesn't last long, and before you know it, the ideas are pouring in so thick and fast you can't sleep!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I just wait it out. I don't have time to do swaps, crops or roam online for inspiration...and my brain can't scraplift/case/whatever you call it. So I just wait until it comes back. Although I do think sometimes over-buying contributes to the problem, b/c you have so much stuff and don't know what to pick. I've been working on that too by not buying as much and getting rid of stuff more. Sometimes you just have to sort thru ur stuff until you find something inspiring...it can be a stamp, a button, a piece of pp...anything that strikes a chord. Also, I have lots of hobbies (reading, playing piano, sewing, crocheting, baking, cooking, gardening) so i just move onto something else until my scrapping/stamping mojo returns.

Sometimes it stinks b/c you may feel like ur in the mood, but its just not there. Hope yours comes back sooner than later!
Reply With Quote Likes