Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2005, 09:40 AM   #1  
Sassy Shani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1x1 TILES ANYONE?

Hi friends...I have searched and seached and searched somemore. I cannot find 1x1 tiles to save my life. I went to Home Depot and sat with a lady going through a catalog for about 30minutes. She couldn't find any. Have any of you bought 1x1's and if so....where the heck did ya find them?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 09:45 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I wonder if tiles that size might be sold on "mats" to make installation easier. When I bought accent tiles for our backsplash, they were sold attached to about a 12x12 square of mesh matting. I just peeled them off the mat (something similar to magic mesh) and used them individually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 09:47 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

YEs, thay can be found on the mesh but you have to go to a tile shop... I get my tiles ( mosaics etc...) by going to a stained glass supplier and purchasing sheets of stained glass and cutting them down myself, but on ebay you can find any and every kind of vitreous glass tile imaginable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 09:50 AM   #4  
Sassy Shani

Do I want glass tiles for stamping? I'm just going to be putting a letter on each tile to spell out a name? I thought I needed ceramic tiles?:confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by outsiderartist
YEs, thay can be found on the mesh but you have to go to a tile shop... I get my tiles ( mosaics etc...) by going to a stained glass supplier and purchasing sheets of stained glass and cutting them down myself, but on ebay you can find any and every kind of vitreous glass tile imaginable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 09:55 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Shanon, you would want ceramic, for some reason I have seen alot of small vitreous glass being incorporated into cards and scrapbook pages.... I thought you were talking about those.

You should be able to find small tiles at any tile shop. I know that they might be harder to find at home depot mainly because they tend to be custom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 09:56 AM   #6  
Sassy Shani

Thanks soooo much for your help. I will start calling my local tile shops!!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by outsiderartist
Shanon, you would want ceramic, for some reason I have seen alot of small vitreous glass being incorporated into cards and scrapbook pages.... I thought you were talking about those.

You should be able to find small tiles at any tile shop. I know that they might be harder to find at home depot mainly because they tend to be custom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 10:01 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

One tip, some tile stores have a bin or section that they keep display or discontinued to site leftovers... they might sell you some of those, or ask if they will let you look thru them...

Also if your city has a Reuse it center.. like a salvage place you can pick up a booty load of tiles for a resonable price.

I would also checkout :
www.freemarket.org
www.craigslist.org
and ebay for people trying to sell leftovers from construction...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 10:01 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

you could also find them anyplace that sells mosaic supplies. I know Michael's has a section of small packages of tiles but they aren't a bargain! Check out some online sources too (I use www.Monstermosaics.com).

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

we have a habitat for humanity surplus store in spokane. you can get all sizes and types of tiles there but you never know for sure what is going to be there because the inventory changes so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Do you have a Lowe's (like Home Depot) where you are? That's where I got the tiles that BillieBee used.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2005, 11:48 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Mostly near Cincinnati but Gulf Shores, AL in the wintertime 😎

I found some 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 ceramic tiles at out local Home Depot. I bought white, but they also came in lots of other colors. They were in a sheet about a foot square, held together by some kind of super-strengh adhesive dot thingies. I think they're sold like that to be installed as is, with tile adhesive put on the back and grout between them to fill in the spaces. I took heavy shears and cut them apart for stamping. The only thing I didn't like about them was it was difficult to remove all the connective adhesive stuff. The last bit of it I had to sand off with DH's dremel tool. Did I mention they were really cheap? I forget how much exactly, 'cause it was about 4 or 5 months ago, but the sheet of tiles was only a couple of dollars. I thought they were a great value and I made some awesome magnets with them (if I do say so myself!) These may be a little bigger than what you were looking for, but you might be able to adapt what you're doing to the larger size.
HTH!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanon
Hi friends...I have searched and seached and searched somemore. I cannot find 1x1 tiles to save my life. I went to Home Depot and sat with a lady going through a catalog for about 30minutes. She couldn't find any. Have any of you bought 1x1's and if so....where the heck did ya find them?

If it doesn't move, STAMP it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2005, 03:49 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

www.mosaicbasics.com has the 1x1 tiles (really 7/8 x 7/. And they are loose! So you don't have to pull them off mesh or cut them apart. The price seemed reasonable to me and shipping was quick.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes